Russell Wilson's contract pushed to next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":39vpmqsa said:
Laloosh":39vpmqsa said:
Some of us will just wait and see. Thanks for the click bait thread title though.

How is that a "click bait" thread title? It's exactly what Schefter is suggesting, in the form of a question. At this point it is still a question, but it looks like that's what happening.
Yeah, I know... just seemed like it was throwing more chum in the water. No offense intended, I just need to ignore Wilson threads until there's actual football happening.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think it's a bit early to rule out Wilson suitors based in 2016 cap projections unless you also have an analysis of how much guaranteed money they have on the books. Most teams can shed as much salary as they want if they have the will.

NY Giants are projected to have a ton of money that year. Rams, too. Even Chicago is going to have $40M, and I'm guessing it's more if they traded Cutler. That's potentially NY, LA, or Chicago, any of which would likely boost Wilson's endorsement earnings significantly as well.

I'm not saying any of these are real possibilities, but just highlighting the fact that if he gets to free agency, there are a world of options out there that cannot be predicted right now. Harbaugh chased Manning after his QB came off a career year and came close to snagging him.

chris98251

Reaction score
I keep seeing the Baseball type or NBA type contract where everything is guaranteed, I really think that is the big problem, money can be moved and bonus money shifted performance objectives inserted. But the whole contract guaranteed, it's why baseball and the NBA are not the number one sport in the country. Baseball used to be but hey..

rideaducati

Reaction score
kidhawk":ynzuafyz said:
onanygivensunday":ynzuafyz said:
Anthony!":ynzuafyz said:
Largent80":ynzuafyz said:
I simply don't care about Wilsons contract. We have him this year. And if he doesn't sign after that then 2 years of franchising

actually at best 1 year of tagging we canno9t afford 32 mil for one year with our cap and that is what it would be the 2nd tag year I am not sure we can afford the 25M+ for the 1st tag.
You're using the exclusive tag numbers... not the non-exclusive numbers, which is much more probable that Seattle's FO would do.

An interested team would have to give up two firsts and and also extend a contract offer to Wilson, which Seattle can match... and they would if it ever came to that.

What Wilson and his agent are overlooking is he's never going to make up the lost income of going in that direction.

Actually, the way Schneider structures contracts, there really is less risk to Wilson. We have generally kept the final contract year from the Rookie contracts and just extended the deals out with more money. If that is what we are offering Wilson, then the only thing he's doing is putting off the signing bonus for a year. Right now, Wilson holds a lot of leverage, and the team has to decide to wait it out and watch salaries continue to escalate, or pay him more than they want to right now to keep from paying him even more later. I think the team needs to take the hit now. The cap is rising every year. QB contracts are continuing to rise and with that, so is Wilson's value. Deals are going to just get more and more expensive.

Russell has zero leverage right now and will not have leverage until the end of the 2016 season.

mikeak

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":1o2sctcg said:
mikeak":1o2sctcg said:
Russel should NEVER expect a new contract. Never - it isn't done in these situations. The FO should have been planning and seems to have been planning for an extension.

With that in mind it seems like there is cap room this year for an extension and cap room in the future for a new deal that is highly competitive compared to every other single qb in the league

As much as I love RW (and I am NC State alumni which is how I turned Seahawks fan after Koren Robinson was signed back in the days) if his agent is asking for a new deal then he is flat out wrong and fully to blame for the contract issues.

It is kind of a tricky situation, though. When Newton signed his extension, the last year of his expiring contract was his fifth-year option, so he was already set to make good money. When Roethlisberger signed his latest extension, the last year of his expiring deal was similarly loaded. Russell, on the other hand, is stuck playing out the last year of a third-round rookie deal, which comparatively speaking is chump change and a somewhat unprecedented situation, which is part of the reason this continues to drag on, in my opinion.

If we are still negotiating after this season I think we could potentially have an easier time trying to get a deal done than we are now. Sure, the overall value of the offer will be higher if Russell has another great year, but it will be a negotiation of a whole new deal rather than an extension of a contract that Wilson and his agent don't want to be tied to anymore.

I agree but RW should know that is what will happen next year as well.

I do think he needs to get "some" more for this year. As in add a million per year for a five year contract and then make a few more million guaranteed. But no way to tear up the deal and give him a new one.

In regards to other comments about "what may have been promised". Nothing was allowed to be discussed before this year so I assumenothing promised...

Anthony!

Reaction score
rideaducati":15jksau1 said:
kidhawk":15jksau1 said:
onanygivensunday":15jksau1 said:
Anthony!":15jksau1 said:
actually at best 1 year of tagging we canno9t afford 32 mil for one year with our cap and that is what it would be the 2nd tag year I am not sure we can afford the 25M+ for the 1st tag.
You're using the exclusive tag numbers... not the non-exclusive numbers, which is much more probable that Seattle's FO would do.

An interested team would have to give up two firsts and and also extend a contract offer to Wilson, which Seattle can match... and they would if it ever came to that.

What Wilson and his agent are overlooking is he's never going to make up the lost income of going in that direction.

Actually, the way Schneider structures contracts, there really is less risk to Wilson. We have generally kept the final contract year from the Rookie contracts and just extended the deals out with more money. If that is what we are offering Wilson, then the only thing he's doing is putting off the signing bonus for a year. Right now, Wilson holds a lot of leverage, and the team has to decide to wait it out and watch salaries continue to escalate, or pay him more than they want to right now to keep from paying him even more later. I think the team needs to take the hit now. The cap is rising every year. QB contracts are continuing to rise and with that, so is Wilson's value. Deals are going to just get more and more expensive.

Russell has zero leverage right now and will not have leverage until the end of the 2016 season.

not true at all he has plenty of leverage now and will have more in 2016.

chris98251

Reaction score
Our problem is were not a QB development team, CB's yes, we seen how we are with average QB's, Russell is mostly self made with some polish from our staff. That's his leverage, unless we can trade for a couple firsts were not going to replace his production and lack of salary that we have enjoyed. A first round QB will not break us but we lose that continuity we have developed and of course the hit or miss on the prospect.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1h134ub0 said:
ivotuk":1h134ub0 said:
His agent is doing him a disservice.

I dunno, man. Chances are pretty high that the Seahawks will win another Lombardi this year, and that just makes his price tag go up, even if we do Franchise him for 2 seasons, he still stands to make bank. I have absolutely no issue with Russell doing this. The FO shouldn't have tried to low-ball him if they didn't want this happening.
This. The FO dropped the ball and this tactic worked for Flacco so it's not unprecedented at all. The Seahawks don't want to go the franchise tag route especially if he wins another Superbowl for that way lies madness.

They really shouldn't have low balled him and should have went with 5 years from the start.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1379pkzd said:
Basis4day":1379pkzd said:
Hasselbeck":1379pkzd said:
Basis4day":1379pkzd said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/446727943394312192[/tweet]

If that's your way of saying Schefter could be wrong, a FA signing and a guy taking an insurance policy on himself are two very different things

A reported FA signing and saying a player WILL play out his rookie contract are two very similar things.

Never said he's playing out his rookie deal. Said he's playing this last season with an insurance policy on himself.

BINGO! Someone actually has some reading comprehension. Russell also played last season with a fairly hefty insurance policy.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Anthony!":25nubyry said:
kidhawk":25nubyry said:
Anthony!":25nubyry said:
Ahh dude just because he gets an offer from another team and we match doe snot mean he has to agree to it with us, he can not and then we get only our 3 years and he is 28-29 and in his prime and can go any place. If this is the game the FO is playing it is very dangerous and could back fire huge, not to mention the message to other potential FOs. AS to Rams we will see, a lot can happen in 2 years.

Maybe you don't understand the concept of the franchise tag. Even when it's not exclusive, the player cannot choose which team he wants to go to. He can negotiate with other teams. If he gets a team to make an offer, then it's up to the Seahawks to decide if they want to match that offer. If they do match the offer, they keep him, no matter what. If they don't, they get the two first round picks. At this point, he would have to play with us or hold out and not play at all. Those would be his only options.

It won't get to that point, but if it does, then we still hold the ace in the hole.

So find me a link that says a player has to sign a matched offer? So far I have not found it. I find it hard to believe a player can be forced to sign a deal, the NFLPA would not allow that.

The franchise tag means the teams has RIGHTS to the player if they match the offer. Without RIGHTS to that player, no other teams can sign him. That would mean he holds out to be unemployed. Walter Jones played that same game every year, but would always sign by the beginning of regular season. Otherwise, he would start missing game checks. One of our longest holdouts was Joey Galloway, who chose to miss game checks during the first half of the season, but had to report to play a minimum number of games, so that he would get credited a season for free agency purposes.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
sedrohawk":3itbk8z5 said:
He seemed genuine enough, but who knows. He could be right or wrong. The thing is anybody who doesn't work for the hawks is just making assumptions and we will likely never know the truth.

Riiiiiiight So Earl Thomas and numerous other players that say he's a film junky don't 'work for the Hawks' and are 'making assumptions,' or making all of that up out of thin air. ET and Turbs seem like some straight shooters to me. Do you know how ridiculous this 'guide who guided somebody who works for the Seahawks' sounds in the face of everything that indicates the contrary?

Largent80

Reaction score
Remember Wilson on the plane ride back from Atlanta 3 years ago, already watching film mere hours after a game?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":1to5g9yg said:
kidhawk":1to5g9yg said:
Anthony!":1to5g9yg said:
Ahh dude just because he gets an offer from another team and we match doe snot mean he has to agree to it with us, he can not and then we get only our 3 years and he is 28-29 and in his prime and can go any place. If this is the game the FO is playing it is very dangerous and could back fire huge, not to mention the message to other potential FOs. AS to Rams we will see, a lot can happen in 2 years.

Maybe you don't understand the concept of the franchise tag. Even when it's not exclusive, the player cannot choose which team he wants to go to. He can negotiate with other teams. If he gets a team to make an offer, then it's up to the Seahawks to decide if they want to match that offer. If they do match the offer, they keep him, no matter what. If they don't, they get the two first round picks. At this point, he would have to play with us or hold out and not play at all. Those would be his only options.

It won't get to that point, but if it does, then we still hold the ace in the hole.

So find me a link that says a player has to sign a matched offer? So far I have not found it. I find it hard to believe a player can be forced to sign a deal, the NFLPA would not allow that.

The entire point of the franchise tag is to keep key players from leaving for other teams. It was the league's reaction to the development of free agency, and it is the teams' trump card in player negotiations.

If the Seahawks decide to franchise Wilson (if it even comes to that), and then they decide to match any offer he gets, then Wilson has no other options than playing for the Seahawks under that matched offer or not playing at all. That's it.

aawolf

Reaction score
I'll post what I post in every Russell Wilson thread for the doubters, as a fan of a team that let Russell Wilson get away (NC State). He'll prove doubters wrong, as he's always done. He did it in high school, as a 2-star recruit that wasn't offered a scholarship at the school he camped with (UNC); He did it as a redshirt freshman who was third on the depth chart preseason at NC State and surprisingly won ACC POY; he did it in his record-breaking career at NC State when he threw more passes without an interception than any player in NCAA history; he did it as a transfer to Wisconsin after NC State let him walk where he set records for passing efficiency and led the Badgers to a Rose Bowl; he did it when he was the 6th QB taken in the NFL draft in the third round when he won the starting spot; he did it when he took a team with a losing record for three consecutive years before he got there to two Super Bowl and three playoff appearances in his first three years; he'll do it again.

Don't doubt Russell Wilson. He will prove you wrong.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Russell wants to get paid a big sum of money and even though I'm not a fan of players who already get paid millions asking for more, I can kind of understand his situation. He's the number one rushing QB, has performed really well in the passing game as well even with a below average receiver corps, is the number one merchandise selling player in the entire NFL and most important of all he has lead us to two consecutive SBs and even won one (our first in franchise history nontheless).

If someone deserves a nice contract it's Russell and as long as the cap allows it he will definitely get a contract he's content with.

StoneCold

Reaction score
/Trolling

Russell Wilson is completely overrated. We will easily win another Superb Owl with Tavaris Jackson.

/Trolling
SC

Hawkfish

Reaction score
aawolf":1nx6ywsu said:
I'll post what I post in every Russell Wilson thread for the doubters, as a fan of a team that let Russell Wilson get away (NC State). He'll prove doubters wrong, as he's always done. He did it in high school, as a 2-star recruit that wasn't offered a scholarship at the school he camped with (UNC); He did it as a redshirt freshman who was third on the depth chart preseason at NC State and surprisingly won ACC POY; he did it in his record-breaking career at NC State when he threw more passes without an interception than any player in NCAA history; he did it as a transfer to Wisconsin after NC State let him walk where he set records for passing efficiency and led the Badgers to a Rose Bowl; he did it when he was the 6th QB taken in the NFL draft in the third round when he won the starting spot; he did it when he took a team with a losing record for three consecutive years before he got there to two Super Bowl and three playoff appearances in his first three years; he'll do it again.

Don't doubt Russell Wilson. He will prove you wrong.

I looking forward to that. Can't wait to for him to break the bank after he leads the team to a championship in SB50.

StoneCold

Reaction score
/Trolling

We need to cut Russell before Tavaris' best years are behind him!

/Trolling
SC

rideaducati

Reaction score
Anthony!":2459sha3 said:
rideaducati":2459sha3 said:

not true at all he has plenty of leverage now and will have more in 2016.

It's obvious that you don't know the meaning of leverage. Russell CAN'T go anywhere for the next three years if the Seahawks choose no matter what Russell does. How does Russell have leverage?

Status
Not open for further replies.