RW a .. "pedestrian 2nd tier qb" per NY Daily news

Smellyman

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1yqnar39 said:
It's partially true, some of Russell's effectiveness is because defenses have to respect his mobility.

But to say it's ALL because of Russell's mobility and that doesn't make him elite? Last time I checked both Brees and Rodgers are pretty damn mobile and teams have to respect that. What's the difference?

Stats don't lie, Russell's a top 5 QB. That makes him elite, period. End of discussion. Thanks for playing.

sure is helped by his mobility. It's like saying Deion Sanders wouldn't be as good if he wasn't so fast.

It's not a reason to say he isn't as good if he was 'normal'.

JJ watt wouldn't be very good if he wasn't so strong!

gowazzu02

Reaction score
He knows the 12s are crazies. He's betting on you posting it here. getting the natives riled up and giving him clicks.

Little does he know, half the people on here expected us to lose to the niners! lol

Boycie

Reaction score
Hawkpower":q0qsrk7z said:
I felt like I was reading an article from 2014 or so.

Apparently there are still people out there believing this worn out narrative. The "he has to scramble to be effective" is almost as accurate as all the short stuff. The funny thing is, hes actually better when he doesnt scramble around honestly.

News travels slow in this guys direction apparently.

He has to scramble because he is running for his life because of an under average O-line.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2sf7buuw said:
I felt like I was reading an article from 2014 or so..

It's like the Miami writer before the first game telling us the Hawks roster is nothing special.

Other city's beat writers, ESPECIALLY on the east coast are so myopic in what they pay attention to, they really have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to the Hawks trying to analyze from 3,000 miles away.

They don't watch 60 minutes of Hawks games, they watch the 3-4 highlights from a 12-10 win against Miami, and loss to the Rams and say "man, that Russell Wilson doesn't look very special to me."

v1rotv2

Reaction score
When was the last time a Jets QB took them to back to back Super Bowls? You can tell when a writer is bias when they cherry pick samples sizes. Why not include last year? The answer is it would not fit what he is trying to sell.

Smellyman

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":he5e0psk said:
Pete Prisco retweeted it (no joke).

and Prisco picked the Jets to win.

We like to say this announcer or this color guy is biased blah blah blah(they are usually pretty dang good), but Prisco is just a DB or the highest order.

I don't mean Doug Baldwin.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Smellyman":2kvrqx19 said:
Sgt. Largent":2kvrqx19 said:
It's partially true, some of Russell's effectiveness is because defenses have to respect his mobility.

But to say it's ALL because of Russell's mobility and that doesn't make him elite? Last time I checked both Brees and Rodgers are pretty damn mobile and teams have to respect that. What's the difference?

Stats don't lie, Russell's a top 5 QB. That makes him elite, period. End of discussion. Thanks for playing.

sure is helped by his mobility. It's like saying Deion Sanders wouldn't be as good if he wasn't so fast.

It's not a reason to say he isn't as good if he was 'normal'.

JJ watt wouldn't be very good if he wasn't so strong!

I agree with both you guys but if I'm looking at the article from an outside opinion, especially one that hasn't followed Wilson closely the last 4 years, I wouldn't completely disagree with it.

So far this year Wilson has looked very pedestrian and his numbers support it. Other than the early part of the Miami game he has been hobbled for the first time in his career. If your trying to analyze his ability to be a pure pocket passer that lacks mobility, the information this season is the only information you have to actually use. Add in that he has been a mystery to most since his arrival and that many/most apply 90+% of his performance to his Houdini act and from the outside looking in it's not far fetched to come to the writers conclusion.

Overall though I think this stint of lacking mobility will end up being Wilson's best gift. He is being forced to conform to conventional QBing and we all know how hard he prepares and his ability to adapt. Add that training to his insane arsenal when he has the threat of mobility and you have something very dangerous. Or DangeRuss as will be the spelling more often than not.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Injured NFL athlete may not play as well while hurt. What an interesting opinion.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
The guy tweeted the link to it about 17 times today. It's clear his motive was to deliver a 'hot take' and then kick up hysteria -- perhaps coax a couple of Seattle radio stations to have him on to discuss his POV. It's horrendous. Journalism at its worst -- a piece delivered merely to grab clicks to the website.

I bet he went home tonight and sat rocking in his shower crying his dreams down the drain when he held out hope of being a 'serious' reporter. Now he's a fifth rate Skip Bayless, probably already working on his 'Is Joe Flacco elite' take for next months Ravens/Jets game.

What an absolute melt.

Hawks46

Reaction score
What a total piece of crap. that's seriously one of the worst things I've ever read for sports journalism. This guy crosses the long from homer/fanboy beat writer to complete tool.

So let's see, first we're going to say "we have nothing to worry about if Wilson starts, and if he wasn't hurt, we'd still win". Completely discounts a Seattle defense that's a lot better than KC's.

Then he starts off on this tangent about how Wilson is more Batman than Superman, and Batman is nothing without the batmobile. Like a 6'3" 250 lb guy in perfect physical shape, highly trained in martial arts punches you in the face, you're going to care if he's out of his car or not.

Then he contradicts himself. "Wilson is a good pocket passer, but he's only good when he breaks contain." Uh, once you break contain, you're not in the pocket. You can't take all these really good stats from IN the pocket, Pooh pooh them, then claim it's only because he's really out of the pocket. When he's in the pocket.

On top of that, he bases the whole "we have nothing to worry about" totally on Wilson's performance. He mentions nothing about Fitzpatrick, or anything about Revis, Becker and Marshall are all injured and won't be 100%, which is the argument he's using about Wilson.

This guy doesn't even know football. He's an idiot.

trout_hound

Reaction score
:pukeface:
At least the chump ends the article with the truth, even without Wilson, our D is going to destroy them. Thats the truth.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
What I've noticed though, it used to be no one would acknowledge Wilson could pass from the pocket, remember that?

But now they (haters or whoever) have gotten to the point, ''well yea I guess he can, the stats say he can.... but but uumm its because he's a running threat so......that's the only reason". :lol:

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
What those who are unfamiliar with the New York Daily News need to realize ... is that they are a pedestrian 2nd tier newspaper. They are virtually on par with the National Enquirer and all those other tabloids you see when you're standing in line at the checkout line at the grocery store with headlines like, "Scientist confirms woman is Roswell Alien descendant!".

They are right there with the Skip Baylesses and Howard Sterns of the world -- shock jock journalism designed to get your attention. Nothing more. This is who they are and who they have always been. Seriously.

And as always, the best thing you can do with those whose sole motivation is "Look at Me" -- ignore them. Don't give them the satisfaction of even clicking on their links.