RW can't win without a great run game...

justafan

Reaction score
renofox":1jk96jm3 said:
justafan":1jk96jm3 said:
renofox":1jk96jm3 said:
has been PC's philosophy.

Today he finally let the offense partially go away from that and it worked.

Will this game help PC be a little more open minded in future games?

The best teams left can run the ball. It still works today. With the OL and RBS hurt he has to change.

PC has consistently refused to go away from the run game (until midway through the 4th qtr) in plenty of games that resulted in a Seahawks loss. See last year's WC game.

In this game he minimized the run game beginning in Q1.

I hope this is a sign of better game planning to come.

This offense including Wilson are more efficient when we run the ball. The brightest coaches in the last 50 years believe running the ball helps your QB. Its still true today and best offensive coaches in the league today still believe it.

Smellyman

Reaction score
renofox":3648pqz8 said:
mort":3648pqz8 said:
Mad Dog":3648pqz8 said:
Yes. Shotty learned from last years debacle. We passed a lot this game and only ran to essentially set up the play action shots.

Much better gameplan.

+1 thank goodness, shotty’s not a doorknob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plays
40 pass
17 rush

This was not Schotty. He doesn't make this radical of a gameplan - PC does.

PC actually game planned a pass first offense. Don't think I've ever seen this before.

Maybe he read all the complaints in this forum (lol) and loosened up a little.

Even PC is never too old to learn. We can only hope.

Passing wasn't the game plan. It was Homer 11 rushes for 12 yards and Lynch 6 rushes for 7 yards that forced it. Homer had 1 rush for 12 yards so 10 rushes for 0.... Credit for not totally Dallasing it up

Problem with Schotty is just 0 creativity. Can we get more motion, misdirection, Hollister down the seam, reverses, screens, move the pocket? anything besides if the 4 run plays aren't working just drop back in the pocket.

When he play faked to Lynch and passed to him I nearly fainted. More doing what hey aren't expecting.

OP
OP
renofox

renofox

Reaction score
Seanhawk":3vipf7ln said:
renofox":3vipf7ln said:

PC actually game planned a pass first offense. Don't think I've ever seen this before.

Do you have any facts to back this up or is it just pure speculation? Don't answer. It was rhetorical.

If you really think that Schotty could call 40pass/17rush without PC's input, I have to wonder if you pay attention to anything that's happened since PC has been HC.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to walk you through a simple chain of logic.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
renofox":20ti7iwx said:
Seanhawk":20ti7iwx said:
renofox":20ti7iwx said:

Do you have any facts to back this up or is it just pure speculation? Don't answer. It was rhetorical.

If you really think that Schotty could call 40pass/17rush without PC's input, I have to wonder if you pay attention to anything that's happened since PC has been HC.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to walk you through a simple chain of logic.

I wasn’t questioning Pete’s input in the game plan, I was questioning your inference that Schottenheimer had nothing to do with it and that you have any knowledge of the dynamic between the two and what goes on in that facility during the week. No one here has a clue.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2wtq229x said:
I wasn’t questioning Pete’s input in the game plan, I was questioning your inference that Schottenheimer had nothing to do with it and that you have any knowledge of the dynamic between the two and what goes on in that facility during the week. No one here has a clue.
It's really not that hard to figure out. Carroll is a coach, and very, very good one at that. If one just backs up and says, "given this set of circumstances, what would an excellent coach, and coaching staff, who really, really want to win, do? " and go over the obvious and not-so-obvious answers, and expect Carroll & Co. will do that.

It gets muddled at times here because of all the second-guessing, "Pete is an old dog who can't learn new tricks", and other rubbish some posters here spew. Hell, Pete has already reinvented himself about 5 times in his coaching career.

I think it's pretty clear that Carroll and Schotty revisited the Dallas loss this week and talked it over and came in with a plan A, plan B, and plan C. And they were ready with adjustments based on how the game played out.

SPIRITOF12

Reaction score
Take away Wilson's runs, Lynch and had 19 yards between them.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
justafan":3ah6lec1 said:
renofox":3ah6lec1 said:

The best teams left can run the ball. It still works today. With the OL and RBS hurt he has to change.

We all saw the graphic showing the 4 best passing teams in the NFL this year (all out of the playoffs) and the 4 best running teams (all in the playoffs)

Part of the narrative here about Pete being "passed by" is based on our run first philosophy. Clearly people here are wrong in that portion of the argument. Run first offense still is very much a great plan of attack.

Now all that said, we have questionable current talent at RB and an all pro QB, so pass first should probably be the way to go from here on out.

John63

Reaction score
The question is can they keep this going, can PC and Schotty stay out of their own way and run the offense that suites us best, the quick tempo, quick hitting, layered passing offense. we will see.

OP
OP
renofox

renofox

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2ejw7nry said:
renofox":2ejw7nry said:
Seanhawk":2ejw7nry said:
renofox":2ejw7nry said:

I never said Schotty was not involved in the game plan.

I said that the decision to go extreme pass-first was such a radical decision (compared to PC gameplan philosophy) that it had to have been a conscious decision made by PC.

If you disagree, that's fine.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Hawkpower":39ludrk2 said:
justafan":39ludrk2 said:
renofox":39ludrk2 said:

We all saw the graphic showing the 4 best passing teams in the NFL this year (all out of the playoffs) and the 4 best running teams (all in the playoffs)

Part of the narrative here about Pete being "passed by" is based on our run first philosophy. Clearly people here are wrong in that portion of the argument. Run first offense still is very much a great plan of attack.

Now all that said, we have questionable current talent at RB and an all pro QB, so pass first should probably be the way to go from here on out.

Pete is about *balance*. He ran just enough to keep the Eagles defense committed to the run, so that the passing would work better. Yes, the runs weren't working worth crap. That meant the Eagles D was still committed there. Schotty, Pete, and Russell then found ways to exploit that with passing. Pete, Schotty, Russell, all on the same page. This is a result of soul-searching by Pete and Co. after the Dallas loss last year, and learning from it, and putting into practice what they learned.

OP
OP
renofox

renofox

Reaction score
olyfan63":t5upb3pw said:
This is a result of soul-searching by Pete and Co. after the Dallas loss last year, and learning from it, and putting into practice what they learned.

I am hoping this is true. I am tired of watching the Seahawks spending 3+ quarters sticking with a run-first game plan when it's not working.

slateman77

Reaction score
renofox":26gas6v4 said:
Seanhawk":26gas6v4 said:
renofox":26gas6v4 said:

I agree Colonel Jessup..!!

Tical21

Reaction score
The Eagles committed their entire defense to crowding the box and our receivers. They dared us to beat them down the field, and DK made them pay. But this wasn’t a Schotty or Pete scheme thing, this was adjusting to the defense.

olyfan63

Reaction score
renofox":23yyge4c said:
olyfan63":23yyge4c said:
This is a result of soul-searching by Pete and Co. after the Dallas loss last year, and learning from it, and putting into practice what they learned.

I am hoping this is true. I am tired of watching the Seahawks spending 3+ quarters sticking with a run-first game plan when it's not working.

I've been in much lower-stakes settings as a coach, why did we lose, and what adjustments can we make for next time, and that's what a good coach does after a painful loss. Pete is an EXCELLENT coach, across the board. This win is a direct result of the Dallass loss last year. Plus the development of better communication between Pete and Schotty during the intervening year. And can you believe Pete, Schotty, Russell, throwing the BOMB to DK to get that last first down to ice the game? THAT is how bad Pete Carroll wants to win. That shit, bomb to DK to get a first down to ice the game, does not happen without Pete & Co. doing some serious soul-searching. Old Pete would have run Lynch into the line, gotten stuffed, and had to punt and give the Eagles another shot.

A lot of posters here need to give Pete room to grow and learn from his mistakes. He's not done growing and learning. But Pete is a "show me" kind of guy, show him that it's a BETTER course of action than what he's been doing. IMO, Dallass playoff loss last year showed him.

Jville

Reaction score
renofox":2vc1a8gr said:
Seanhawk":2vc1a8gr said:
renofox":2vc1a8gr said:

Without a linked source, it's just anonymous numbers by a questionable source. Like any community, we have our share of community members that make stuff up.

Stick with reliable sources. I'm reading 30 pass attempts and 26 (rushing) carries from this official NFL source >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2020010501/2019/WC1/seahawks@eagles?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2020010501[/urltargetblank]

Smellyman

Reaction score
Jville":39qlun5f said:
renofox":39qlun5f said:
Seanhawk":39qlun5f said:
renofox":39qlun5f said:

Without a linked source, it's just anonymous numbers by a questionable source. Like any community, we have our share of community members that make stuff up.

Stick with reliable sources. I'm reading 30 pass attempts and 26 (rushing) carries from this official NFL source >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2020010501/2019/WC1/seahawks@eagles?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2020010501[/urltargetblank]

Probably counting RW's 9 rushes as passes. Can make sense that way. Maybe a couple were planned rushes?

John63

Reaction score
Smellyman":1ungoeaz said:
Jville":1ungoeaz said:
renofox":1ungoeaz said:
Seanhawk":1ungoeaz said:

Probably counting RW's 9 rushes as passes. Can make sense that way. Maybe a couple were planned rushes?

Espn has 30 passes adn 26 rushes counting Wilson 9, without his rushing we avg 1.1 ypc yikes. Wilson was our run game and pretty much our offense. He accounted for 370 of the 389 yards we had or 95%, PC will not like that at all.

John63

Reaction score
renofox":7stsrq8f said:
olyfan63":7stsrq8f said:

we will see, PC fooled me in 2015
Fooled me earlier this year

But every time I think he has turned the corner if the run game shows any signs of working back to the old run at all cost, throw long and nothing else.

John63

Reaction score
renofox":22xny9sx said:

Also not sure PC thinks Wilson cant win without a run game ,he just wants to run at all cost, 2 different things. Wilson has won a lot of game with little to no run game. No one who really watches and knows football thinks Wilson cant win without a run game.

OP
OP
renofox

renofox

Reaction score
Jville":2buhjg4o said:
renofox":2buhjg4o said:
Do you really think that Schotty could call 40pass/17rush...

RW's rush attempts were on broken pass plays. At least I did not see 1 designed QB run play called.

30 att + 9 scrambles + 1 sack = 40 CALLED pass plays
17 rush attempts by RBs = 17 CALLED rush plays