RW can't win without a great run game...

Jville

Reaction score
renofox":134em2w9 said:
Jville":134em2w9 said:
renofox":134em2w9 said:
Do you really think that Schotty could call 40pass/17rush...
Stick with reliable sources. I'm reading 30 pass attempts and 26 (rushing) carries from this official NFL source >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2020010501/2019/WC1/seahawks@eagles?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2020010501[/urltargetblank]

RW's rush attempts were on broken pass plays. At least I did not see 1 designed QB run play called.

30 att + 9 scrambles + 1 sack = 40 CALLED pass plays
17 rush attempts by RBs = 17 CALLED rush plays

Your "unofficial" version does fit your narrative. But it is not what the rest of us are using. There were numerous Russell Wilson runs called to force the Eagles to commit a spy because a spy pulled from coverage assignment opens up the passing game. That's reflected in the official NFL stats.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Maybe there’s a bigger effect on setting the D up than I am aware of but way too many runs up the middle when it wasn’t there for my liking. Especially with Homer.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Jville":18j4yzt2 said:
Your "unofficial" version does fit your narrative. But it is not what the rest of us are using. There were numerous Russell Wilson runs called to force the Eagles to commit a spy because a spy pulled from coverage assignment opens up the passing game. That's reflected in the official NFL stats.

NO!! Say it isn't so, Joe! Carroll and Schotty having a pssing-based game-plan, and coming up with a devious wrinkle to pull an Eagles pass defender out of pass coverage? NO!! Carroll isn't capable of such things!! Sacrilege! Heresy!

Do you realize this is like, cold, hard evidence of Carroll and Schotty coming in with a passing-centric game plan? This is just SO counter to all the Pete Carroll stereotypes and cliches on .NET. I refuse to believe it! Do I really need to say...? :sarcasm_off:

In other words...
WINNING is more important to Pete Carroll than winning HIS WAY?
and also...
Carroll will actually adjust the game plan to the opponent and the known circumstances, instead of just insisting on "IMPOSING OUR WILL" on them?

John63

Reaction score
Jville":2o11xiyf said:
renofox":2o11xiyf said:
Jville":2o11xiyf said:
renofox":2o11xiyf said:
Do you really think that Schotty could call 40pass/17rush...
Stick with reliable sources. I'm reading 30 pass attempts and 26 (rushing) carries from this official NFL source >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2020010501/2019/WC1/seahawks@eagles?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2020010501[/urltargetblank]

RW's rush attempts were on broken pass plays. At least I did not see 1 designed QB run play called.

30 att + 9 scrambles + 1 sack = 40 CALLED pass plays
17 rush attempts by RBs = 17 CALLED rush plays

I am. It convinced any of his runs were designed. But who knows for sure. All I know is they better have another next week, we will not beat GB running it.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Pete has never said Russell can’t win without a run game. Using the run to help set up the pass game has always been his philosophy. He wants balance. That was true before he ever arrived in Seattle.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Philly had the #3 Run d in the NFL so it's no surprise we leaned on the pass against their #19 in the league

Next week GB has the 23rd Best Run D so I imagine we can take advantage of that a little bit more an maybe just maybe Duane Brown will be back. Even if not Jones and Fant are probably getting better by the game. Even if not their #13 Pass D will leave holes for our offense to exploit.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Every QB is better with a great running game. It opens so much stuff up for the passing game and takes a lot of pressure off of you. Of course he can win some games without an ideal running game. But doing so consistently game after game against elite competition is extremely hard. Like playoff competition. You just have to do it and see how long you can ride it. It's not ideal. But I think Russell Wilson is a very good QB and can carry you and win for you when needed. In the playoffs of course you would want to be balanced and healthy. But you have the situation you have. So like anything in life you must proceed forward and make the most of it.

niveky

Reaction score
Smellyman":37nzuidb said:
renofox":37nzuidb said:
mort":37nzuidb said:
Mad Dog":37nzuidb said:
Yes. Shotty learned from last years debacle. We passed a lot this game and only ran to essentially set up the play action shots.

Much better gameplan.

+1 thank goodness, shotty’s not a doorknob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plays
40 pass
17 rush

This was not Schotty. He doesn't make this radical of a gameplan - PC does.

PC actually game planned a pass first offense. Don't think I've ever seen this before.

Maybe he read all the complaints in this forum (lol) and loosened up a little.

Even PC is never too old to learn. We can only hope.

Passing wasn't the game plan. It was Homer 11 rushes for 12 yards and Lynch 6 rushes for 7 yards that forced it. Homer had 1 rush for 12 yards so 10 rushes for 0.... Credit for not totally Dallasing it up

Problem with Schotty is just 0 creativity. Can we get more motion, misdirection, Hollister down the seam, reverses, screens, move the pocket? anything besides if the 4 run plays aren't working just drop back in the pocket.

When he play faked to Lynch and passed to him I nearly fainted. More doing what hey aren't expecting.

Between the o-linemen and Hollister getting all the false starts there were times it was hard for them to get into a rhythm. They had plenty of situations where Schotty got hamstrung in the play calling, but thankfully Wilson and the offense were able to grind it out and have a pretty good day anyways.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He was flat out NAILS. Yet again. But I suspect that a guy who accounts for over 90 percent of the offense will still somehow have people downplay it. Good, he'll just keep winning. His whole career we have heard from people what he "can't do"
He hasn't had his best games the last few weeks, but when it's clutch time in the playoffs, few do it better. Like someone mentioned, EVERY QB is going to be better with a running game. They were surprising bad in the run game, but credit to the Eagles for shutting it down. However, Russ and that offense flat out CAN win a game w/mainly using the passing attack. They've done it plenty of times over the years.

John63

Reaction score
sc85sis":ne6ho6nn said:
Pete has never said Russell can’t win without a run game. Using the run to help set up the pass game has always been his philosophy. He wants balance. That was true before he ever arrived in Seattle.

Agreed PC never said that ,, some on this board did and still do.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Wenhawk":rl0syflb said:
Philly had the #3 Run d in the NFL so it's no surprise we leaned on the pass against their #19 in the league

Next week GB has the 23rd Best Run D so I imagine we can take advantage of that a little bit more an maybe just maybe Duane Brown will be back. Even if not Jones and Fant are probably getting better by the game. Even if not their #13 Pass D will leave holes for our offense to exploit.

I think that explains a lot of what happened yesterday. Couple that with needing to use a #4 RB, and it's no surprise we wind up with 19 yards on 16 carries. Next week should be a little more balanced.

xray

Reaction score
He just won without a run game on Sunday right ?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's rare, but xray and I agree on this one :irishdrinkers:

Talk about no running game, that was about as bad as it gets, and he won. At least Pete and Shotty figured out that the Hawks needed to let Russ and the passing game take over.
And the D holding them to 3's all day was huge of course.

chris98251

Reaction score
xray":u6wxrhxq said:

Incorrect, they still used the run game yards or no yards it opened up the passing game. As stated in another thread they dared Wilson and our WR's to beat them and we did.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":43ubp9ep said:
xray":43ubp9ep said:

Incorrect, they still used the run game yards or no yards it opened up the passing game. As stated in another thread they dared Wilson and our WR's to beat them and we did.
This is correct. They stacked the box and played man or cover-zero most of the time in order to stop our running game and used the extra bodies as pass rushers when we didn't run. That would have been idiotic if we didn't have a potent running game, but the fact that we do made them go to extraordinary lengths to stop it, which opened up opportunities for the long passing game. That resulted in Wilson throwing away a lot of passes, but also resulted in his 18 yards per completion.

It's the same thing as when they triple-teamed Jadaveon Clowney. Because he is threatening, you expend resources stopping him. This makes him ineffective when tripled, but because he is tripled, others are not blocked. So you can't look at his numbers when triple-teamed and say he's not effective. His presence still accounted for the pressure, even if it didn't come from him.

The fact that we ARE a running team and have a potent running game forced Philly to go all-in against it.

Latest posts