RW vs Kaep

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Progressing through reads really isn't reliant upon "intelligence." Dan Marino had a horrid Wonderlic but could whip through reads.

Going through reads is more about trusting your eyes/instincts/playcall, as it is really unnatural to look away from where you want to throw until the last second. Really it's just football intelligence/instincts. I played college baseball, and one of the dumbest kids on my team was by far the smartest baseball player I've ever played with. It's just an aptitude.

Sports Hernia":gfnz15bq said:
Coxal":gfnz15bq said:
Kaep posted a nice 37 on Wonderclick (source ESPN NFC West Blog few weeks ago)
If "captain one read" did that good, the test is either severely flawed and or he cheated on the test.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Kaepernick is not a leader. He's one notch above Tony Romo and Jay Cutler in the leadership category.

I think the separation in the two quarterbacks has nothing to do with measurables at the combine.

One has an elite work ethic and intangibles that are off the charts. The other is Kaepernick.

plyka

Reaction score
I think it's rather clear between these two, and I don't care what the combine numbers say:

Kaep is faster, stronger, bigger arm

Russell is smarter and more prepared.

I would pick Russell each day, since he is still damn fast, strong and has a great arm, but his "intangibles" make up for it and more.

formido

Reaction score
CornerHawk":2774hmr4 said:
themunn":2774hmr4 said:
Sports Hernia":2774hmr4 said:
Coxal":2774hmr4 said:
Kaep posted a nice 37 on Wonderclick (source ESPN NFC West Blog few weeks ago)
If "captain one read" did that good, the test is either severely flawed and or he cheated on the test.

We know it's severely flawed as Ryan Fitzpatrick got a 48...

How so? It's not a qb centric test. Like any test it is not perfect but it's not surprising a Harvard guy tested well. It's probably more of an issue for teams when a guy bombs it.

Folks generally dismiss the Wonderlic by holding it to a higher standard than other combine tests. No one would assume that just because a player ran a 4.2 40, he's the next Barry Sanders. The Wonderlic can absolutely be extremely useful when applied correctly. For example, when was the last time a QB with a below NFL QB average Wonderlic won a Super Bowl? Trent Dilfer. The NFL is getting too sophisticated and the tolerances for winning too tight for teams to carry an unprepared QB. I would be very concerned if my team's QB had a 20 Wonderlic in the same way I'd be very concerned if my team drafted an RB with a 32 inch vertical in the second round.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
plyka":zrp7oy41 said:
I think it's rather clear between these two, and I don't care what the combine numbers say:

So what?

Russell is a winner... Kaep, not as much.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Colin Kaepernick - Zero championships
Russell Wilson - One championship

/thread

OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
plyka":28vv3n4t said:

Russell is smarter and more prepared.

I would pick Russell each day, since he is still damn fast, strong and has a great arm, but his "intangibles" make up for it and more.

This is why I made the OP. Conventional wisdom tells us that Kaep is bigger, stronger and faster. However, based on their combine numbers Kaep only bests RW in one category-size. RW is just as fast, arguably just as strong. Perhaps pound for pound, stronger. He is obviously the superior leader. Just another chip on shoulder IMO, for those claiming Kaep is stronger and faster. The evidence debunks that myth! RW over Kaep all day everyday!!!

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Joe Montana had all the same issues pre-draft as RW--undersized, ect.. All he did was win.