RW3's legacy

olyfan63

Reaction score
I wonder how long this board will continue to seethe about RW?

I still love the guy; even though I am glad he's gone. I liked him failing when it gave us draft capital, but now all I wish is for him to have success, unless it effects us.
Seethe? :LOL::LOL:

Most of us, at least me, are having a good laugh at Russell the Narcissist, who thought he could go to ownership and get the Head Coach and GM fired, as if THEY were the problem and Russell was, in his alternate reality, the "solution". Topped only by the foolishness of the Broncos front office, to trade a treasure trove of picks and give him a $250M contract before he'd ever played a down as a Bronco. It's like watching an ongoing train wreck, hard to look away.

Rookie contract Russell was fantastic, and he only choked away one Lombardi from the LOB, but didn't screw up the other one. He was a unique talent before the rest of the NFL largely figured him out, and even then, he had the remarkable ability to pull off-script plays out of his ass, with his elite elusiveness and incredible scramble-drill skills. It was a fun, incredible ride for the 2012-2014 years, and rookie contract Russell always deserves a place in our hearts for being a key part of that.

Once Pete and John paid Russell, Pete could never again field a talented and deep enough team to get past the divisional round of the playoffs, and Russell was no longer outperforming his contract. Now he's the Broncos' problem.

I really don't root against Russell; last year, he showed lots of us "the truth" about who he was, and is, as an NFL QB, and I wish him success to the extent he deserves it for working on and improving his game. It's a fun storyline to follow, e.g., can Sean Payton fix Russell, and Brandon Perna of "ThatsGoodSports" YouTube channel is an engaging and hilarious storyteller who adds to the fun.

I say just enjoy the Broncos' weekly Russell soap opera, and most of us will especially enjoy that it's no longer us and the Seahawks trapped in the cycle of raised-and-then-repeatedly-dashed-hopes.

OP
OP
Welshers2

Welshers2

Reaction score
I wonder how long this board will continue to seethe about RW?

I still love the guy; even though I am glad he's gone. I liked him failing when it gave us draft capital, but now all I wish is for him to have success, unless it effects us.

I really don't think anyone is seething. We're just having a good laugh at the train wreck of me3. His legacy as a player may be ruined but he's still worth 100s of millions so don't feel too bad for him

chrispy

Reaction score
I thought RCW would continue to play poorly this season. Perhaps he's turned a corner, or perhaps teams are using last year's tape and Payton has altered a few looks...and opposing Ds will adjust accordingly with more/new tape. There's a lot of football left in 23. But, to me, I've kind of lost interest in the Broncos...as completely irrelevant....

SI re-published a story from a Bronco site that spelled out the impact of trading RCW. There would be a big dead money hit, but still recognizeable cap savings...all variable depending on the exact timing. A year ago, dumping him was unimagineable. The question now is: How does eating 30m in dead money compare to consistent and on-going disappointment with losing seasons. Whichever direction you choose to throw blame, I haven't heard anyone predict a winning season with RCWs current contract and lack of draft capital. They bet the farm and lost.

I think the trade scenarios in the article offered a third and a variable 1st-4th depending on playtime. Of course we all know RCW also has a no-trade in his contract so he'd have a say. I'm curious how the next 12 months play out for him. If the League-braintrust believe there's any semblance of an HOF QB left, a trade is a coo to the buyer. Since there's really no drama in the actual on-field performance (no playoffs, no winning season, no hope) I guess, to me, how/when he gets dumped is all that's left that very interesting....

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Broncos lose out and the Hawks have a high pick so yeah watching the Broncos lose is something to consider.
Last draft's trade that gained us a 3rd round draft pick next year is the lower of Denver's native 3rd round pick or the Saints native 3rd round pick, which currently belongs to DEN.

So, if you're rooting for DEN to lose all of its games, then you should also wish the same for the Saints.

Scout

Reaction score
Last draft's trade that gained us a 3rd round draft pick next year is the lower of Denver's native 3rd round pick or the Saints native 3rd round pick, which currently belongs to DEN.

So, if you're rooting for DEN to lose all of its games, then you should also wish the same for the Saints.

Agreed.

The Saints are in danger of a tailspin because they trotted out an injured Carr when he wasn't ready. And their offense is very pedestrian and predictable now with play calling. Their defense is still solid but is starting to show signs of strain.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
I agree. I mentioned in one of these threads that Russ is a losing player for similar reasons to the ones you've stated. Nonetheless, I had the unfortunate pleasure of watching that game this Sunday; Russ was lights out in the second half. So, my perspective shifted a bit. Why? Well, the Bears had the worst passing offense in NFL history heading into week 4, and the Broncos still gave up 300+ yards passing and 4 TDs. This was a week removed from giving up 70 points.

That's a pretty terrible situation for Russ to be in. And I have no issues giving him credit when he does well. And make no mistake, he did play well. He's not elite anymore. But he's certainly good enough to win games with a competent defense.
That's exactly the issue with him. Disappears for large chunks. He may have been lights out in the 2nd half, but it still required those defensive takeaways and score to make it enough to matter. Without that, his production is either not enough or not consistent enough to win outside of a very narrow set of game management principles from the head coach. Mainly limiting the other team's possessions. If the defense can't limit possessions, Russell's team will lose. You have ro run it well with him to avoid 3-n-out syndrome and/or have a defense that takes it away a lot

BlueTalon

Reaction score
As far as legacy, Russ's legacy took the biggest hit a legacy could take last year forcing his way out of a great situation where he was well on his way to a gold jacket. Not sure he'll ever recover, and what's going on in Denver isn't helping, cause he's mediocre and the Broncos still suck, and will continue to suck until he's gone.
Considering he won't be eligible until five years after he finishes playing, it's entirely possible that the Broncos will suck for however long he plays there. And then if the Broncos recover even a little bit quickly afterward, it's going to be a really bad look for HOF consideration.

strohmin

Reaction score
He's actually have a great year. This obsession with Russ is weird to me.

Wilson was fantastic while here and was a massive reason we went to 2 superbowls and won one.
He threw 4 ints in the game before the 2nd superbowl. He was a major reason we almost didnt goto a 2nd superbowl. He's also threw the pass that lost us the 2nd superbowl. It amazes me how little credit that the rest of the team is given just to elevate Russ.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
He threw 4 ints in the game before the 2nd superbowl. He was a major reason we almost didnt goto a 2nd superbowl. He's also threw the pass that lost us the 2nd superbowl. It amazes me how little credit that the rest of the team is given just to elevate Russ.
He also threw the pass that got them in the SB48 and SB49 Super Bowls. Nobody is saying he was/is perfect but to only point out his negatives and ignore the positive things he did for the team is disingenuous.

strohmin

Reaction score
He also threw the pass that got them in the SB48 and SB49 Super Bowls. Nobody is saying he was/is perfect but to only point out his negatives and ignore the positive things he did for the team is disingenuous.
None is saying he didnt contribute but to say he was a major reason for our superbowl victory and 2nd appearance is ridiculous.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
None is saying he didnt contribute but to say he was a major reason for our superbowl victory and 2nd appearance is ridiculous.
Where in my posts did I say he was the major reason? I didn’t. It still doesn’t change his contributions. He was the QB who threw the game winning passes to get to them into the Super Bowls. It is a fact whether you want to acknowledge it or not. He wasn’t the major reason but he was one of the reasons. They were a 7-9 team prior to him coming onboard. That is with Lynch and LOB on the team.

Last edited:

strohmin

Reaction score
Where in my posts did I say he was the major reason? I didn’t. It still doesn’t change his contributions. He was the QB who threw the game winning passes to get to them into the Super Bowls. It is a fact whether you want to acknowledge it or not. He wasn’t the major reason but he was one of the reasons. They were a 7-9 team prior to him coming onboard. That is with Lynch and LOB on the team.
They drafted Bobby Wagner and Bruce Irvin in the same draft as Russell. Did they not contribute anything?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
They drafted Bobby Wagner and Bruce Irvin in the same draft as Russell. Did they not contribute anything?
Again...I never said that. Furthermore, giving credit to Russ doesn’t take away any credit due for anyone else. The credit for wins is not mutually exclusive. Everyone can share in it. Just like everyone has a share in the losses. That’s why it’s a team sport.

strohmin

Reaction score
Again...I never said that. Furthermore, giving credit to Russ doesn’t take away any credit due for anyone else. The credit for wins is not mutually exclusive. Everyone can share in it. Just like everyone has a share in the losses. That’s why it’s a team sport.
I can agree with that but my issue is with people who use the stupid argument of seahawks were 7-9 before russell came and say the seahawks were nothing without him. Also, there are people that argue that he carried the Seahawks when he really didnt.