Ryan Kelly - Is he as good as advertised?

cheese22

Reaction score
With all the success PCJS have had in the draft, Oline has been probably the least successful position. They have only been successful three times and one of those was a convert (which I kind of wish never happened because it seems like we waste a pick every year trying to do it again, which may never work again) and some may not think of Okung as a good pick, I don't. I wouldn't say they get too cute, but I think Okung has been the only safe pick they've made. I think Kelly has a very high floor. The struggles they've had without Unger highlight the importance of the center position. It's probably the least sexy or dynamic pick possible, but I think it is also the most underrated. I hate the idea of not drafting a guy because he can't broad jump far enough. Kelly is smart, big, tough, good technically, a winner and a leader. Things I think should outweigh the broad jump. Then I hope they move Soko to guard where he has a chance to play and one of the best sparq guys ever won't be a total waste.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Kelly would be a major upgrade for us. Was surprised to see he had a 106 SPARQ, which is above average.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Way way way way way overrated.

It's bizarre.

He's developed a cult on Twitter too, there's going to be some disappointed Seahawks fans on Thursday/Friday.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Getting your hopes up that the Seahawks will draft any specific player is a fools errand.

Kelly is a solid center though. He's athletic, gets to the 2nd level in a hurry, plays with nastiness, and hasn't allowed a sack in the last two plus seasons. He's not as physically dominant a run blocker as Max Unger was in college. However, I think Kelly's a solid 2nd round talent and a safe bet to be a good center for someone, unlike say, Marcus Martin -- the 'top' center prospect from a couple years ago.

[youtube]P1XArEAd8hM[/youtube]

Largent80

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3lpxb1c0 said:

It's bizarre.

I am curious as to who you think is the best available center is if Kelly isn't that guy. I remember you pining for Crabtree years ago and he has been as underwhelming as they come.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Yeah, let's focus on that one guy I liked seven years ago that didn't turn into Jerry Rice (but has still had a decent career).

Kelly is a solid player but he's a notch below Nick Martin IMO. He's getting way too pumped up though.

Largent80

Reaction score
It's all good, I was just pointing that out, not trying to be a dick.

Scouting college players and how they will translate to the pro's is tough.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":ffslsifj said:
He's developed a cult on Twitter too, there's going to be some disappointed Seahawks fans on Thursday/Friday.

Yeah...Ryan Kelly is the new Darryl Bevell of Seahawks twitter. He's worshiped.

Ozzy

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2h9oyu5c said:
Yeah, let's focus on that one guy I liked seven years ago that didn't turn into Jerry Rice (but has still had a decent career).

Kelly is a solid player but he's a notch below Nick Martin IMO. He's getting way too pumped up though.

Is Martin a guy they can get in the 2nd or third? His projected draft spot is all over the place.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I agree with English.

Kelly is a good player, but somehow he's gone from a good center prospect to a no doubt Pro Bowler. Would I like Kelly in Seattle? Of course. Not sure I like the price at 26 for a guy who doesn't physically dominate and has some major holes in his game (second level blocking).

Here's what I find funny; we always knock Alabama RBs for being overrated, etc, but has Alabama put an OL in the NFL recently that hasn't vastly underperformed? Fluker, Warmack, Carpenter, etc.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
He's a good player. Not a great athlete.

Honestly, this draft has several good OC prospects. I do like Kelly the best. But it's not like he's lapping the field. I would much rather get something else early and take from the lesser pool in day 3.

This class has a lot of OC prospects. And even more OG/OT players who look easily capable of the conversion.

Kelly isn't a Pouncey type of OC pick. So if you're 'wanting a stud center', then Kelly is not likely to be that. I don't see pro bowls in his future. And if Sokoli comes around after this season there is little chance Kelly could hold him back. He looks like he'll be a good/capable and savvy pro. But not a guy that you base a franchise on. That's what R1 picks are supposed to do.

As much as I like him as a prospect, I understand that the cost to your team roster by indulging on a Kelly pick is equal or even exceeds the upgrade we'd be getting.

If we take him -- I'm ok with it. Not super excited. But ok. The reality is we need a hedge for Sokoli. It's a complete waste of an R1 pick to take Kelly who has ZERO positional flexibility if the hedge isn't needed.

Largent80

Reaction score
Living in Texas and close to College Station I saw a lot of A & M games, and their center (Mike Matthews) while not an overwhelming athlete, shows up in games and performs.

Chapow

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1rtoc6qx said:

It's bizarre.

IMO, It's because we (Seahawks fans) are desperate for a competent offensive line. We are latching on to anything and anyone that gives us hope.

And yeah, I'm sure most of us will be disappointed on Thursday/Friday. There is almost certainly going to be a highly rated and highly regarded O Lineman sitting there for the taking at #26 (maybe several) and we will either trade back or pick someone that everyone thinks would have been available in round 3 and plays a position that isn't much of a need.

I'd be very happy if they took Kelly at #26. I'd be happy if they took Nick Martin at #26. At this point, I don't really care what it costs us in draft capital, I would just like to see a line that isn't completely incompetent at pass protection.

cheese22

Reaction score
The appeal, for me, with Kelly is that we would be getting exactly what we're drafting. Meaning, he's not a convert, he's not trying a new position, he doesn't have off field issues. He's about as transparent of a lineman as there is in this draft. This team needs this type of player right now. We have no carryover starters, in the same position, as last year. Kelly is a leader, he's big and nasty, he has very small holes in his game and a very high floor. I think one of the biggest problems with this line is the lack of leadership and consistency at center. So maybe he's not a perennial all-star, but you'll know exactly what to expect every week and not have to worry about him showing up.

I think Nick Martin would be very similar as far as filling that role but I don't think he makes it to us in rd 2.

I think having one of these two takes some pressure off Russ and starts the process of building a consistent and dependable Oline.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
cheese22":3h81kco7 said:
The appeal, for me, with Kelly is that we would be getting exactly what we're drafting. Meaning, he's not a convert, he's not trying a new position, he doesn't have off field issues. He's about as transparent of a lineman as there is in this draft. This team needs this type of player right now. We have no carryover starters, in the same position, as last year. Kelly is a leader, he's big and nasty, he has very small holes in his game and a very high floor. I think one of the biggest problems with this line is the lack of leadership and consistency at center. So maybe he's not a perennial all-star, but you'll know exactly what to expect every week and not have to worry about him showing up.

I think Nick Martin would be very similar as far as filling that role but I don't think he makes it to us in rd 2.

I think having one of these two takes some pressure off Russ and starts the process of building a consistent and dependable Oline.
Well said. Competence to deal with the Donalds and Shorts of the NFL world is desperately needed.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1btb0b1m said:
He's a good player. Not a great athlete.

Honestly, this draft has several good OC prospects. I do like Kelly the best. But it's not like he's lapping the field. I would much rather get something else early and take from the lesser pool in day 3.

This class has a lot of OC prospects. And even more OG/OT players who look easily capable of the conversion.

Kelly isn't a Pouncey type of OC pick. So if you're 'wanting a stud center', then Kelly is not likely to be that. I don't see pro bowls in his future. And if Sokoli comes around after this season there is little chance Kelly could hold him back. He looks like he'll be a good/capable and savvy pro. But not a guy that you base a franchise on. That's what R1 picks are supposed to do.

As much as I like him as a prospect, I understand that the cost to your team roster by indulging on a Kelly pick is equal or even exceeds the upgrade we'd be getting.

If we take him -- I'm ok with it. Not super excited. But ok. The reality is we need a hedge for Sokoli. It's a complete waste of an R1 pick to take Kelly who has ZERO positional flexibility if the hedge isn't needed.

There was like 4 guys I wanted to quote, but yours was the closest to what I think about it. I also agree with English; Kelly is getting a hype train that is raising his stock.

Is Kelly a good Center ? Yes. Is he that much better than other Center prospects you could get in rounds 2-4 ? Not appreciably. You can get close to the same value in rounds 3 and 4. Look at that Glasgow kid from Michigan. He's better than anyone we have on our roster and a lot cheaper than pick 26.

Whoever we get at 26 needs to be a difference maker. The Rams finally got wise and sold out for a QB. If he's good, they're going to be even more trouble. AZ has gotten much better through FA, and they have a smart GM that draft well and a HC that gets all he can from his players. They're not going anywhere. We don't have the margin for victory within the division, and we need to get a dynamic impact player. I don't care what position, you get him and forget about that spot for 4 years and work on other needs.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
There are some really nice O-line options in this draft.

If they don't draft a guy like Kelly in R1 -- keep an eye on Connor McGovern and Joe Dahl. They could end up being another Mitch Morse.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Kelly fell out of the first round in McShay and Polian's ESPN mock draft today. Polian was pounding the table for the guy saying Kelly was maybe the best interior lineman in the draft, I don't see it. Anyway anyone Polian is pounding the table for I'm staying away from in the first unless his name is Manning. Then there's the fact we have a Center in Patrick Lewis who came in and stabilized the O-line and played better than Unger imo. I don't see them taking a Center in the first we have bigger needs elsewhere DT OT .

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":bbpm9h89 said:

It's bizarre.

Agree 100%

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3uyrywub said:
There are some really nice O-line options in this draft.

If they don't draft a guy like Kelly in R1 -- keep an eye on Connor McGovern and Joe Dahl. They could end up being another Mitch Morse.

Agreed. There really are quite a few OC options to be had in and around late 3rd.

I'm looking at this class in the 3-4 range and it looks just packed with talent. There is a decent sized handful of guys that should be late day three that I wouldn't mind us bringing in either. Not that I'd want them to do it, but it does look like the team could bring in close to half a dozen guys -- with a mix of day 1 competitors as well as competitors for the current projects we have on the roster.

I could see value in pushing the Schwenke/Nowak/Pericak/Sokoli/Poole bunch. Get better or get gone.

I'm not really stressing the OL options this year. Although I really do think we're taking McGovern in the 2nd (or early third if we trade back and acquire one). I think he's the alpha in the "can't leave the draft without" contingent.