S. Griffin questions....

Own The West

Reaction score
Wow. Tell me a corner that's going to look good against Jones and Ridley?

We were really solid in the secondary today. I really liked that we contested a bunch of balls and that there was seldom any run after catch.

Griffin's fine. I'm really looking forward to game 3-4 when some of the communication glitches we saw get worked out.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Own The West":q5aywmaj said:

We were really solid in the secondary today. I really liked that we contested a bunch of balls and that there was seldom any run after catch.

Griffin's fine. I'm really looking forward to game 3-4 when some of the communication glitches we saw get worked out.

Totally THIS. Griffin may have been underwhelming, but he and the secondary did enough against (arguably) the NFL's #1 hardest-to-stop QB and WR combo and one of the league's best passing games. And that without all that much of a consistent pass rush on Ryan.

He's a very serviceable #2 CB and we will need him to come up big on many plays for the Hawks to go deep into the playoffs. Someone was pointing out we were down 6 DBs during SB49, so every decent or better DB is a valuable asset; we will need all of our depth there.

sutz

Reaction score
Griffen is basically filling in for when Dunbar is fully up to speed anyway. He did fine.

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
olyfan63":levzg2mx said:
Own The West":levzg2mx said:

Totally THIS. Griffin may have been underwhelming, but he and the secondary did enough against (arguably) the NFL's #1 hardest-to-stop QB and WR combo and one of the league's best passing games. And that without all that much of a consistent pass rush on Ryan.

He's a very serviceable #2 CB and we will need him to come up big on many plays for the Hawks to go deep into the playoffs. Someone was pointing out we were down 6 DBs during SB49, so every decent or better DB is a valuable asset; we will need all of our depth there.

And that is my issue with him. He is serviceable, not elite. He is not an elite #1 cornerback. There was talk about an extension worth 15 million a year. He is not worth even 10 million a year. You can get serviceable players at a better contract number. Also, I think there is the unspoken elephant in the room. This> He has made it clear that he wants to play with his twin.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
If he starts giving up numbers against team without Julio I'll be concerned. Julio has shredded our D gong back to the good old days with Sherm and Co. I didn't think today was that different.

rcaido

Reaction score
The Falcons are one of the best passing teams in NFL for the past decade...

Can we not put Griffin head on the guillotine just yet...We won the game, he had some great plays and some mishaps. Its Julio Jones & Ridley.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
He had 1 trash year and one great year.

He looks like a #2 CB to me at best. I will gladly eat crow if wrong i truly hope I am wrong. He is not a gamechanger.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
People have such short memories. Griffin was beasting last year and good for breaking up all kinds of potentially big game-breaking passes right when we needed them. A drive-ending machine.

He did regress towards the end of last year, and he did not look great out there today, but like someone else said, show me a corner not named 2014 Richard Sherman who would look good against Julio and Ridley with zero pass rush helping him out.

godawg

Reaction score
I don't think he's strong enough to cover elite receivers like Julio, but he can tackle them after the catch.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Even the prime LOB gave up some big days to Matt Ryan and Julio Jones. Today we were playing soft defense in most of the second half due to our big lead, generated in part by a good defensive showing in the first half. Don't let the stats mislead you in this case.

chris98251

Reaction score
So you have Diggs, Dunbar, Adams, Griffin all in your secondary, Wilson as you QB and Carson coming up on a Contract as well. How much did Ramsey as a #1 sign for ? If you get Griffin on a reasonable deal you do it. Pete isn't going to be here forever and soon the flow of DB's will come from someone else's evaluation.

You won't get a Veteran Cheaper then him most likely and unless you can evaluate guys like this F.O. you need a high pick to burn on one.

thegameq

Reaction score
Griffin has lazy tendencies. Bad angles, failure to wrap up, etc. --not just this game either. Honestly, sometimes he just looks lackadaisical---like a player who is taking plays off. I expected more from him, but it is becoming obvious that he is not who we thought he would be.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
vigilantgrrl":17rbzspp said:
And that is my issue with him. He is serviceable, not elite. He is not an elite #1 cornerback. There was talk about an extension worth 15 million a year. He is not worth even 10 million a year. You can get serviceable players at a better contract number. Also, I think there is the unspoken elephant in the room. This> He has made it clear that he wants to play with his twin.

Same. On the whole, Quill is serviceable, missed a few tackles yesterday but well in that serviceable range still--but not elite. I'd be surprised and would disagree with any extension in the 15m range, because he's more a 7-9 m guy to me and he is, by age and seniority, near the top of his production.

Quem's production last year otoh just wasn't enough of what you'd expect from someone being on the team for that long. There are just so many "special teams aces" that are necessary, and most of them are rookies that bounced there in the first phase of development. They elevated Quem to the depth chart behind Kendricks, but when Kendricks got hurt they looked more to newer rooks. Quem's simply too small to be effective against healthy OL and didn't really have a role last year and usually when he got one, he didn't exactly wow people.

Quem being put on the PS is more a function of using the new pandemic-informed PS rules. It's an acknowledgment of where the team is with both brothers: It simply did not work out to keep Quem on the 53 and if Quill wants to stay then it'll be as an ok corner who like other ok corners doesn't have leverage in himself to keep another person on.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I’ve always thought Griffin was slightly overrated but yesterdays matchup is probably the toughest the secondary will see all year. Julio, Ridley, Hurst, Gage etc along with Ryan is arguably the best in the league or in the conversation. People don’t realize how good Ridley is. I think This group will get better and figure it out. If we can generate pressure with our front 4 that would allow Adams to help out more on the back end too.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
pmedic920":3b8xz0ol said:
Mad Dog":3b8xz0ol said:
Dunbar gave up some catches in the first half but had a solid second half. Griffin was more solid in the first half and struggled a bit more in the second half.

I didn’t think anyone was terrible given they were asked to not give up anything deep.

Some people seem to think you can play sticky like the good old days and you can’t. Coverage is a no no in today’s NFL. Best you can do is try to stay in range and not let guys get by you.

Fair but....

Coverage is one thing.

Being out of position to make plays, and poor tackling technique is another 2things.

How did you see him doing in the other aspects of his game aside from “coverage”?

Missed 2 tackles. One he should have made. One he was up against someone with pretty good moves in space.

He's no Bobby Wagner, I'll give you that.

But game one without any "tackle to ground" reps in preseason.

And to me Griffen is a LCB not a CB1. I don't think we play that way. Teams with clear CB1 would constantly have that CB lined up on Jones. We play sides.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
thegameq":2zt427yp said:
Griffin has lazy tendencies. Bad angles, failure to wrap up, etc. --not just this game either. Honestly, sometimes he just looks lackadaisical---like a player who is taking plays off. I expected more from him, but it is becoming obvious that he is not who we thought he would be.

What did we think he would be? Third round picks are lucky to be league average players if not backups. If he was a high first rounder, I'd be disappointed. But he's a small school 3rd rounder. The fact that's he's pretty good is gravy.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
chris98251":2z17w7o1 said:
So you have Diggs, Dunbar, Adams, Griffin all in your secondary, Wilson as you QB and Carson coming up on a Contract as well. How much did Ramsey as a #1 sign for ? If you get Griffin on a reasonable deal you do it. Pete isn't going to be here forever and soon the flow of DB's will come from someone else's evaluation.

You won't get a Veteran Cheaper then him most likely and unless you can evaluate guys like this F.O. you need a high pick to burn on one.
2021 FAs
Dunbar
Griffin
Carson
Ford
Wright

2022 FAs
Adams
Dickson
Flowers
Reed
Diggs
Dissly
Lockett
Brown

Wilson's not up for FA until 2024; Metcalf & Wag's an FA in 2023.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Griffin is not an elite corner.

Are people just spoiled or looking for something to be upset about?

Expecting him to replace someone like a Sherman, who is probably going to the HOF, is madness.

Griffin is above average and serviceable. He is a corner that can cover 1s. He isn't a shutdown corner, won't lock anyone down, and shouldn't be expected to.

He did a decent job considering the opponent.

It is weird because you would think Seahawk fans would remember some of the corners we had. But it makes sense because I would want to block them from memory too. For every Patrick Hunter, Shawn Springs, and Trufant - we had some terrible ones.

Griffen is what he is. A guy that will do a decent job against even the good #1s. Decent, not spectacular. He will also do a good job on taking guys down in space, but will miss a few tackles - especially when he forgets to wrap up. But he isn't terrible or worth calling out as a problem.

He is a serviceable, reasonably consistent corner that can cover 1s and 2s. How is that a problem?