Sam Darnold has won qb2 over Lance, says nfl media

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score
The winning is overrated if no Lombardi at the end. We stomped your asses for 2 straight decades and will continue to bend you over behind the woodshed buddy. We’ve had 2 incredible drafts and stellar free agency. And the Hawks are built for longevity. Our depth is crazy good except at IDL but our starters are all upper echelon across the board. Bro did you get the limited release 49er Taco Charlton jersey dog?
winning is not overrated if there's no trophy. On the average a given team in any major sport will win 3 ships a century (there are roughly 30 teams in NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL). That means you will be disappointed 97% of the time. It's the kind of child-like entitled attitude that permeates society. Yeah its disappointing when the team loses but the team is not me. My self worth is not a function as how the team does. As long as the guys do their best I'm good with it. Also, you seem pretty delusional about how good the seahawks roster is. If it is that great, the hawks will find themselves in the 49ers position of having to pay the talent.

94Smith

Reaction score
The winning is overrated if no Lombardi at the end. We stomped your asses for 2 straight decades and will continue to bend you over behind the woodshed buddy. We’ve had 2 incredible drafts and stellar free agency. And the Hawks are built for longevity. Our depth is crazy good except at IDL but our starters are all upper echelon across the board. Bro did you get the limited release 49er Taco Charlton jersey dog?
Well Frodo you can be happy you won the draft for the last 3 years and I will be happy we made the NFC championship the last two years. Also Taco is on IR lmao

Lagartixa

Reaction score
69er fans upon hearing Trey Lance is the biggest bust in the history of the nfl and realizing they blew their shot at a SB due to the magnitude of the Lance setback and debacle. It basically set their franchise back 12 years. And now with Bosa wanting to be the highest paid defensive player it cripples their future ability at keeping a roster worth s shit together View attachment 60342

I have to start by saying I really dislike the Gold Diggers. I'll admit that I rooted for them in Super Bowls in the '80s, and I especially enjoyed the thrashing they gave the Broncos and The Teeth in the Super Bowl following the '89 season. But then I started disliking them, and I honestly don't remember what it was that turned me (after all, the Seahawks were still in the AFC back then), but by '92 or '93, I was actually rooting for the disliked-since-I-knew-what-football-was Cowboys because I thought they were the best hope for somebody to stop the Gold Diggers. And then, once the Seahawks moved (back, technically) to the NFC West, I came to dislike the Gold Diggers as division rivals too. I think I probably still dislike the Raiders and Broncos more on a purely visceral level, but I do find many Gold Diggers fans (especially the ones who troll on the Seahawks-fan site with the silly name on SB Nation that I used to frequent) to be much more annoying than Broncos and Raiders fans.

Trey Lance really looks like a major draft bust, and I love that.

But let's be honest here. Do you really believe the use of all that draft capital on a bust "set their franchise back 12 years"? Do you believe that Lance having cost a lot and sucking as much as he does prevents the Gold Diggers from being among the best teams in the league right now? If so, how is the total failure that the use of lots of draft capital on Lance represents different from, say, the total failure that the trade of so much Seahawks draft capital for a safety, plus compounding that mistake with a giant contract that no safety could justify? Did the Adams trade and contract extension set the Seahawks franchise back 12 years? If the Seahawks can get past the Adams-trade-and-extension debacle and build a competitive team despite a non-contributor taking up 8.15% of this season's cap space, why can't the Gold Diggers get past the Lance-trade-and-draft debacle and build a competitive team (on the base of the team that easily won the division last season) despite a non-contributor taking up 3.92% of this season's cap space?

The Gold Diggers look to me like one of the strongest teams in the NFC, and I still think they're more likely to win the NFC West in the 2023 season than the Seahawks are. I think the Seahawks have a good chance, and I wouldn't be shocked if they were to win the division, but as of right now, I'd still give the Gold Diggers a better chance. Given that the Gold Diggers won the division by a four-win margin last season, that seems like a reasonable position to me.
I'm hoping the Seahawks will win the division this year, and that hope isn't silly like, say, a Cardinals fan hoping the Cards will win the division and the Super Bowl this season, but I think we still have to respect the team that won the division by a giant margin last season. If it had been close like it was in 2019, when it came down to less than a yard on the final drive in the final game of the season separating the two teams, then I might feel differently. But given that the Gold Diggers won the division by four wins last season, I think we really ought to respect them as the reigning division champs who won the division easily.

94Smith

Reaction score
It makes sense as to why the Niners coughed up all those picks for Lance. Because their hit rate in the 1st round alone is very low under Lynch/Shanahan.

It's really impressive that they've missed so often & yet the roster isn't a complete mess.
Look at the hits in the second round and lower. 2 Deebo, 2 Warner, 3 Greenlaw, 5 Kittle, 5 Hufuanga, 7 Purdy. 1st round misses - Thomas, Kinlaw, Foster, Lance. Lance is the biggest miss given that he actually equals 3 misses total, but the equation balances out.

94Smith

Reaction score
I think the biggest affect of this trade will be in the next two years when there is a gap in experience between the 2024/2025 draftees and having to let some free agents go due to cap issues. But the QB room is still going to be very cheap with a sophomore QB starter so it will be interesting to see who they have to let go. Armstead likely, Aiyuk may be traded? We'll see.

If there are a lot f injuries this year the depth is not as deep as it has been in prior years

CactusJack

Reaction score
Also, you seem pretty delusional about how good the seahawks roster is. If it is that great, the hawks will find themselves in the 49ers position of having to pay the talent.
They're fairly stacked among the skill position groups. WR- Metcalf, Lockett, JSN. RB- Walker & Charbonnet. It might be the best trio of WR's in the NFC.

The core of the O-line is still relatively young & kind of an unknown at this point. But it has potential. Both Cross & Lucas are now in their 2nd year together. Damien Lewis is one of the better Guards that doesn't get a ton of recognition. They also upgraded the Center position.

The overall talent level on defense has been an issue. But this might be the most talented group they've had in some time.

I still think this team is a year away from being considered a legit contender. A lot of young guys on the roster that are still growing. But things are trending upwards in a big way.

Last edited:

CactusJack

Reaction score
Look at the hits in the second round and lower. 2 Deebo, 2 Warner, 3 Greenlaw, 5 Kittle, 5 Hufuanga, 7 Purdy. 1st round misses - Thomas, Kinlaw, Foster, Lance. Lance is the biggest miss given that he actually equals 3 misses total, but the equation balances out.
McGlinchey was a starter. But he was underwhelming for the most part. They let him walk, because they thought he could be replaced. Pettis was also part of that draft (2nd round) that was a huge miss on their part.

They hit a homerun with Bosa & Deebo. But the Buckner trade & Kinlaw pick has been a disappointment. Acquiring Lance basically wiped three drafts ('21-'23). Yes, they found Purdy. So they have a starter. But they still have wasted a ton of assets in the process. You can't deny that.

This isn't the first high pick the 49ers have missed on under the regime of Shanahan and general manager John Lynch, either. Lance is the most spectacular disappointment, but the first-round picks they have made have been a mixed bag at best. Of the seven players they've drafted in the first round, just two -- Bosa and Brandon Aiyuk -- will be starters on the 2023 roster. Lance is gone. Solomon Thomas has bounced around the league, Reuben Foster is out of football, Javon Kinlaw has disappointed and had his fifth-year option declined, and the 49ers didn't make a serious effort to re-sign Mike McGlinchey, who joined the Broncos on a massive deal in free agency.

Last edited:

94Smith

Reaction score
McGlinchey was a starter. But he was underwhelming for the most part. They let him walk, because they thought he could be replaced. Pettis was also part of that draft (2nd round) that was a huge miss on their part.

They hit a homerun with Bosa & Deebo. But the Buckner trade & Kinlaw pick has been a disappointment. Acquiring Lance basically wiped three drafts ('21-'23). Yes, they found Purdy. So they have a starter. But they still have wasted a ton of assets in the process. You can't deny that.
You might say it wiped those drafts but not really

• QB Trey Lance (1st) - busto
  • LG Aaron Banks (2nd) - starting LG
  • CB Ambry Thomas (3rd) - starting DB
  • CB Deommodore Lenoir (5th) - starting slot CB
  • S Talanoa Hufanga (5th) - all pro safety
  • OT Jaylon Moore (5th) -swing tackle - not good imo
  • RB Elijah Mitchell (6th - back up RB , excellent when healthy
  • Round one Lance Busto
  • Round 2: 61st-Overall - DL Drake Jackson, USC. ... back up DE, remains to be seen
  • Round 3: 93rd-Overall - RB Tyrion Davis-Price, LSU. ...back up RB, disappointment so far
  • Round 3: 105th-Overall - WR Danny Gray, SMU. ...back up WR - future cut IMO
  • Round 4: 134th-Overall - OL Spencer Burford, UTSA. ...starting OG
  • Round 5: 172nd-Overall - CB Samuel Womack, Toledo. back up slot CB
  • Round 6: OL Nick Zakelj- not good will be cut IMO
  • Round 6: Kalia Davis - injured? Not sure
  • Round 6 DB Castro Fields: not sure
  • Round 7 : Purdy - Starting QB
  • Round one - Lance busto
  • Round 2- Traded for CMC- all pro
  • Round 3 - CMC
  • Round 3: 87th-Overall - S Ji'Ayir Brown, Penn State. ... so far so good
  • Round 3: 99th-Overall - K Jake Moody, Michigan. ...we'll see. I'm not convinced
  • Round 3: 101st-Overall - TE Cameron Latu, Alabama. ...will be cut IMO
  • Round 4 - CMC
  • Round 5: 155th-Overall - CB Darrell Luter Jr., South Alabama. no idea
  • Round 5: 173rd-Overall - DL Robert Beal Jr., Georgia. no idea
So with those draft assets we have an all pro safety, all pro RB, starting QB, 2 starting OG, 2 starting CB. The best comparision would be to do the seahawks for the last 3 years and name the starters, pro bowls, and all pros.

Last edited:

CactusJack

Reaction score
You might say it wiped those drafts but not really

• QB Trey Lance (1st) - busto
  • LG Aaron Banks (2nd) - starting LG
  • CB Ambry Thomas (3rd) - starting DB
  • CB Deommodore Lenoir (5th) - starting slot CB
  • S Talanoa Hufanga (5th) - all pro safety
  • OT Jaylon Moore (5th) -swing tackle - not good imo
  • RB Elijah Mitchell (6th - back up RB , excellent when healthy
  • Round one Lance Busto
  • Round 2: 61st-Overall - DL Drake Jackson, USC. ... back up DE, remains to be seen
  • Round 3: 93rd-Overall - RB Tyrion Davis-Price, LSU. ...back up RB, disappointment so far
  • Round 3: 105th-Overall - WR Danny Gray, SMU. ...back up WR - future cut IMO
  • Round 4: 134th-Overall - OL Spencer Burford, UTSA. ...starting OG
  • Round 5: 172nd-Overall - CB Samuel Womack, Toledo. back up slot CB
  • Round 7 : Purdy - Starting QB
  • Round one - Lance busto
  • Round 2- Traded for CMC- all pro
  • Round 3 - CMC
  • Round 3: 87th-Overall - S Ji'Ayir Brown, Penn State. ... so far so good
  • Round 3: 99th-Overall - K Jake Moody, Michigan. ...we'll see. I'm not convinced
  • Round 3: 101st-Overall - TE Cameron Latu, Alabama. ...will be cut IMO
  • Round 4 - CMC
  • Round 5: 155th-Overall - CB Darrell Luter Jr., South Alabama. no idea
  • Round 5: 173rd-Overall - DL Robert Beal Jr., Georgia. no idea
So with those draft assets we have an all pro safety, all pro RB, starting QB, 2 starting OG, 2 starting CB.
Not having or hitting on 1st round picks is a big deal. Unless you hit big on several guys.

Hufanga & Purdy look like great picks. But I don't see a ton of stars from that list. CMC is great. But you always have to worry about potential injury with him. We all know the self-life of RB's.

94Smith

Reaction score
Not having or hitting on 1st round picks is a big deal. Unless you hit big on several guys.
Which they have done consistentlly with the draft depth since 2017. 2017 Kittle, 2018 Warner , 2019 Deebo and Greenlaw , 2020 Trade for Williams, 2021 Hufunga, 2022 Purdy, 2023 CMC. All stars

CactusJack

Reaction score
Which they have done consistentlly with the draft depth since 2017. 2017 Kittle, 2018 Warner , 2019 Deebo and Greenlaw , 2020 Trade for Williams, 2021 Hufunga, 2022 Purdy, 2023 CMC. All stars
I was speaking on the last three drafts specifically. The list of picks you gave in that time.

Hufanga looks like a rising star & great pick. No doubt. Purdy is still an unknown for me & I'm not willing to label him as a star just yet. Although, he does look like the starter for the foreseeable future. Based on what happens with Lance here shortly.

CMC was a trade. So I'm not including him in this with the other draft picks.

So that's one (Hufanga) & maybe two (Purdy)? But still TBD.

I will give them credit on finding gems like Kittle, Warner, Greenlaw & Hufanga. So yes, they have a done a decent job on that front. While also acknowledging the amount of misses they've had over the years. It's fairly alarming really, when you look at the big picture.

They've been looking for a long-term QB for quite a while. In that time, they've passed on guys like Mahomes, Watson, Allen, Lamar, Fields, etc.

Last edited:

sc85sis

Reaction score
I was so bummed the Niners got Hufanga. He’s a stud IF he can stay healthy. He plays with his hair on fire and tends to throw his body around. He broke his collarbone twice, had surgery for a sprained AC joint in his other shoulder, and got at least one concussion while he was at USC. But when he’s not hurt - look out! I wish him much success except when he faces the Hawks.

94Smith

Reaction score
CMC was a trade. So I'm not including him in this with the other draft picks.
Sure it was a trade but they basically used what was left of the 2023 to get him. Kind of like the Seahawks 2021 Draft for Jamal Adams. And you should include those because that is what the draft capital was used for. Tough to trade 3 picks for a star and still draft other stars

Marvin49

Reaction score
I have to start by saying I really dislike the Gold Diggers. I'll admit that I rooted for them in Super Bowls in the '80s, and I especially enjoyed the thrashing they gave the Broncos and The Teeth in the Super Bowl following the '89 season. But then I started disliking them, and I honestly don't remember what it was that turned me (after all, the Seahawks were still in the AFC back then), but by '92 or '93, I was actually rooting for the disliked-since-I-knew-what-football-was Cowboys because I thought they were the best hope for somebody to stop the Gold Diggers. And then, once the Seahawks moved (back, technically) to the NFC West, I came to dislike the Gold Diggers as division rivals too. I think I probably still dislike the Raiders and Broncos more on a purely visceral level, but I do find many Gold Diggers fans (especially the ones who troll on the Seahawks-fan site with the silly name on SB Nation that I used to frequent) to be much more annoying than Broncos and Raiders fans.

Trey Lance really looks like a major draft bust, and I love that.

But let's be honest here. Do you really believe the use of all that draft capital on a bust "set their franchise back 12 years"? Do you believe that Lance having cost a lot and sucking as much as he does prevents the Gold Diggers from being among the best teams in the league right now? If so, how is the total failure that the use of lots of draft capital on Lance represents different from, say, the total failure that the trade of so much Seahawks draft capital for a safety, plus compounding that mistake with a giant contract that no safety could justify? Did the Adams trade and contract extension set the Seahawks franchise back 12 years? If the Seahawks can get past the Adams-trade-and-extension debacle and build a competitive team despite a non-contributor taking up 8.15% of this season's cap space, why can't the Gold Diggers get past the Lance-trade-and-draft debacle and build a competitive team (on the base of the team that easily won the division last season) despite a non-contributor taking up 3.92% of this season's cap space?

The Gold Diggers look to me like one of the strongest teams in the NFC, and I still think they're more likely to win the NFC West in the 2023 season than the Seahawks are. I think the Seahawks have a good chance, and I wouldn't be shocked if they were to win the division, but as of right now, I'd still give the Gold Diggers a better chance. Given that the Gold Diggers won the division by a four-win margin last season, that seems like a reasonable position to me.
I'm hoping the Seahawks will win the division this year, and that hope isn't silly like, say, a Cardinals fan hoping the Cards will win the division and the Super Bowl this season, but I think we still have to respect the team that won the division by a giant margin last season. If it had been close like it was in 2019, when it came down to less than a yard on the final drive in the final game of the season separating the two teams, then I might feel differently. But given that the Gold Diggers won the division by four wins last season, I think we really ought to respect them as the reigning division champs who won the division easily.

Don't confuse him by making sense.

According to him the 49ers set their franchise back by losing those picks while simultaneously they suck drafting players in the first round.

I like Trey and I think the entire situation sucks....but seems odd to me to say the Trey situation kills the team when they took they're starting QB at 262 overall and have him on rookie 7th round pick money for at least the next 2 years. Bottom line to me on him is that Brock Purdy created a seismic shift in the plans of the 49ers for their "QB of the future". Dunno if Trey can or can't develop, but Purdy made it almost irrelevant.

Seems odd when the 49ers have All-Pros in every position group other than QB(RB-CMC and Juice, WR-Deebo, TE-Kittle, OL-Trent, DL-Bosa, LB-Warner, DB-Hufanga) so say the Lance pick had set them back.

I mean imagine it was Purdy that was selected with that pick and he continues to play as he did last year...would the conversation still be that the franchise is set back for a decade? I don't think so.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Don't confuse him by making sense.

According to him the 49ers set their franchise back by losing those picks while simultaneously they suck drafting players in the first round.

I like Trey and I think the entire situation sucks....but seems odd to me to say the Trey situation kills the team when they took they're starting QB at 262 overall and have him on rookie 7th round pick money for at least the next 2 years. Bottom line to me on him is that Brock Purdy created a seismic shift in the plans of the 49ers for their "QB of the future". Dunno if Trey can or can't develop, but Purdy made it almost irrelevant.

Seems odd when the 49ers have All-Pros in every position group other than QB(RB-CMC and Juice, WR-Deebo, TE-Kittle, OL-Trent, DL-Bosa, LB-Warner, DB-Hufanga) so say the Lance pick had set them back.

I mean imagine it was Purdy that was selected with that pick and he continues to play as he did last year...would the conversation still be that the franchise is set back for a decade? I don't think so.

Imagine if they’d kept Sudfeld last year.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Sure it was a trade but they basically used what was left of the 2023 to get him. Kind of like the Seahawks 2021 Draft for Jamal Adams. And you should include those because that is what the draft capital was used for. Tough to trade 3 picks for a star and still draft other stars
No, that's a cop out. It's partly why the Adams trade is such a disaster. Aside from him being injured all the time. Basically, that entire 2021 draft was a dud.

If all of sudden, you get two or even three draft classes without any significant contributors, then it will catch up with you eventually. I mean just look at the Rams today. It got to a point where they had to basically tear it down & reset. That's why the draft is so important.

Last edited:

Marvin49

Reaction score
No, that's a cop out. It's partly why the Adams trade is such a disaster. Aside from him being injured all the time. Basically, that entire 2021 draft was a dud.

If all of sudden, you get two or even three draft classes without any significant contributors, then it will catch up with you eventually. I mean just look at the Rams today. It got to a point where they had to basically tear it down & reset. That's why the draft is so important.

Agreed draft extremely important, but it doesn't matter where the players are selected if you are getting contributors in later rounds of every draft.

Starting in Treys draft (2021)....

Aaron Banks is a starter at LG. Ambry Thomas and Demo Lenoir are competing as starting CB and NCB. Both have started at one point. Hufanga All-Pro. Mitchell is a good back...when he can stay healthy.

Drake Jackson looks improved and will either start or be in rotation at DE. Gained 15 lbs. Burford is starting RG. Brock Purdy...I don't need to say anything else.

Its way early to make any definitive statements, but S Ji'Ayer Brown, LB Dee Winter, LB Jalen Graham, and WR Ronnie Bell have all flashed.

It is easier to make a splash with high draft picks, but consistently hitting in rounds 4-7 every year is the lifeblood of your roster. I'm not even naming everyone who is contributing in every draft...just the ones that have been notable.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
They knew they couldn't tho. That was the plan of course but they knew they couldn't expose Purdy to waivers.

Couldn’t they? He played well in preseason, but so many third stringers show flashes Then, and it’s not like the 49ers or anyone has to send ps tape.

Weadoption

Reaction score
imagine having Bosa on one side and Micah on the other.
seems so obvious today.