Sam Darnold has won qb2 over Lance, says nfl media

bileever

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the Trey Lance trade won't affect the 49ers much. Not only did they get great value in later rounds, they also had the benefit of a lot of stinker years to get high draft picks. They were 2-14 in the year before Shanahan got there, and then during Shanahan's tenure, they've gone 4-12 once and 6-10 twice. That's how they were able to get Arik Armstead (2015 #17), DeForest Buckner (2016 #7) and Nick Bosa (2019 #2). That's a lot of swings or bites at the apple, whatever metaphor you want to use.

Fade

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the Trey Lance trade won't affect the 49ers much. Not only did they get great value in later rounds, they also had the benefit of a lot of stinker years to get high draft picks. They were 2-14 in the year before Shanahan got there, and then during Shanahan's tenure, they've gone 4-12 once and 6-10 twice. That's how they were able to get Arik Armstead (2015 #17), DeForest Buckner (2016 #7) and Nick Bosa (2019 #2). That's a lot of swings or bites at the apple, whatever metaphor you want to use.
Their roster is now top heavy, aging, and the Lance whiff created a void of talent for a roster that needs replenishing very soon.

The only way they don't take a dive in the standings next year is… Purdy has to be the truth, and they have to kill the 2024 draft to start filling out the roster pronto.

Fade

Reaction score
Darnold and Lance share the same agent? Interesting.

So the agent called up Kyle and asked who the number 2 is right after Kyle stated publicly he wanted to take the competition right up to game 1.

94Smith

Reaction score
Their roster is now top heavy, aging, and the Lance whiff created a void of talent for a roster that needs replenishing very soon.

The only way they don't take a dive in the standings next year is… Purdy has to be the truth, and they have to kill the 2024 draft to start filling out the roster pronto.
You realize they have 11 picks in 2024, 5 of them round 3 or higher? Also of their big name players Williams will be 36, Juice 33, kittle 30, Hargrave 31, armstead 30. Deebo , aiyuk, cmc, greenlaw, huf, Ward, Purdy, Bosa all in their 20s. I think they will be a thorn in the Seahawks side for several years to come

CactusJack

Reaction score
You realize they have 11 picks in 2024, 5 of them round 3 or higher? Also of their big name players Williams will be 36, Juice 33, kittle 30, Hargrave 31, armstead 30. Deebo , aiyuk, cmc, greenlaw, huf, Ward, Purdy, Bosa all in their 20s. I think they will be a thorn in the Seahawks side for several years to come
A lot will depend on the QB. If Purdy is the real deal, then they'll be in the mix.

Windows in the NFL are small compared to other sports however. There's roster turnover every year, injuries, etc. Over the next couple of years, guys will get paid & some will move on (cap).

If the Niners draft well & they have stability at QB, they will continue to be a factor. But a lot can change in the sport.

Did you think the Niners would fall apart after the 2013 NFC championship? Things went downhill fast for that team. It happens more often than you think.

Last edited:

bileever

Reaction score
The real reason the 49ers will be good for a while is Kyle Shanahan. I know you all hate him, and I hate him, too, but he is the real deal and he is only 43 years old. Shanahan's not charismatic enough to get a TV deal for more money. He also isn't burning himself out like Sean McVay has, and Lynch hasn't burned the barn down like Les Snead has. I wish Jim Tomsula could have been the 49ers head coach forever!

CactusJack

Reaction score
The real reason the 49ers will be good for a while is Kyle Shanahan. I know you all hate him, and I hate him, too, but he is the real deal and he is only 43 years old. Shanahan's not charismatic enough to get a TV deal for more money. He also isn't burning himself out like Sean McVay has, and Lynch hasn't burned the barn down like Les Snead has. I wish Jim Tomsula could have been the 49ers head coach forever!
He's a good coach. A better OC imo. But let's not act like he's perfect.

I'd honestly rather have McVay as a head coach. If he steps down in a year or two & goes into broadcasting. He's the guy I want as Pete's replacement.

Lagartixa

Reaction score

Interesting that you say that. My first thought upon reading @94Smith's comment was "I'm not all that worried - Little Shanny in the Big Hat will find a way to fail, as he has on so many previous occasions."

bileever

Reaction score
Interesting that you say that. My first thought upon reading @94Smith's comment was "I'm not all that worried - Little Shanny in the Big Hat will find a way to fail, as he has on so many previous occasions."
Well, it's true Shanahan has had a few bad seasons where everything seemed to fall apart. He has his blind spots and I don't think he's infallible. But I also think he's very innovative on offense and will continue to be so for a while.

One unknown is how well he manages the defense. He's been lucky with his defense for a while, first with Saleh, then with DeMeco Ryans, and also having a spectacular defensive roster. I think losing Ryans will turn out to be significant for the 49ers this year. And what happens when the roster isn't as good?

bileever

Reaction score
Now it's being reported that the 49ers' rookie kicker has a quad strain and won't play tonight:

Weadoption

Reaction score
and we just hit on two linebackers(yet again at this position), a safety and another YAC receiver in Ronnie Bell. All four of those rookies are making the team and getting us cheaper. It ain’t gonna hurt that Purdy’s rookie contract could end up being the best value in the league at qb. Comp pick skillz of FO are elite.

94Smith

Reaction score
Did you think the Niners would fall apart after the 2013 NFC championship? Things went downhill fast for that team. It happens more often than you think.
They didn't really fall apart in 2014. They were still 8-8 with injuries to Bowman and Willis retiring early. The team was still salvageable if our impatient owner would not have blown it all to pieces by firing Harbaugh. I think a lot of the veterans called it or were traded after that. Iupati, Justin Smith, Vernon Davis, Frank Gore, Anthony Davis. Other extenuating circumstances were Aldon Smiths alcoholism and Chris Borlands early retirement despite a pro bowl rookie season. Even Kaepernick still had decent numbers in 2014.

I think the downfall in 2014 and 2015 would not be the norm

CactusJack

Reaction score
They didn't really fall apart in 2014. They were still 8-8 with injuries to Bowman and Willis retiring early. The team was still salvageable if our impatient owner would not have blown it all to pieces by firing Harbaugh. I think a lot of the veterans called it or were traded after that. Iupati, Justin Smith, Vernon Davis, Frank Gore, Anthony Davis. Other extenuating circumstances were Aldon Smiths alcoholism and Chris Borlands early retirement despite a pro bowl rookie season. Even Kaepernick still had decent numbers in 2014.

I think the downfall in 2014 and 2015 would not be the norm
The NFL equals Not For Long. Turnover & change is bound to happen.

The Rams won the SB & now the roster looks completely different. It happens fast.

The Niners will probably make another run this year. The roster is still one of the best in the league. But that's not necessarily going to be the case down the road.

One injury can completely change things. As we know. This time last year, Lance was the future.

Last edited:

Crizilla

Reaction score
Lol this picture. Butt hurt Lance pouting and not joining his fellow teammates. Never rooting for the Niners but good for Brock and Sam to earn their spots and not be poor sports.

Attachments

• i.jpeg
    i.jpeg
    39.5 KB · Views: 3

NoGain

Reaction score
If Lance didn't have a supposed net worth of about 12 millions dollars now, I'd feel sorry for him. The guys been consistently injured, was always going to be under deep scrutiny for what they gave up to get him, he loses his starting job to Mr. Irrelevant, and now he's a 3rd stringer.

But again, hard to feel sorry for a guy who's basically made millions of dollars for doing damn near nothing on the field.

Crizilla

Reaction score
But again, hard to feel sorry for a guy who's basically made millions of dollars for doing damn near nothing on the field.

Exactly. Dude can't even join his fellow QB's in studying the playbook? Joke.

Fade

Reaction score
Niners can't draft in the 3rd round or the 1st round for that matter. So now how many picks do you have again?

It's really simple, Purdy has to be the man, and you'll be fine. If he ain't, SF is in trouble.