Sando: If Seahawks had a real 4-minute offense...

jammerhawk

Reaction score
If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Blah, blah.

Sando might be right but the above applies to this sort of thinking. Reality is the O is very unbalanced and can't easily or reliably control the clock with little ability to run effectively. It has become dependant upon RW's heroics to survive, instead of upon an ability to play smash mouth control the clock ball like the team would like. There is as a result more pressure on the D. There is no doubt that the O is very inconsistent and over dependent upon the pass with an OLine that can not consistently do it's job and which is weak at run blocking.

Seattle had 13 penalties and gave up 109 yards and a TD to AZ as a result. Many of those penalties were nonsense calls and dubious indeed, they changed the flow of the game keeping AZ in it, sort of. Notwithstanding, the strong D erased AZ's running game and stole points with a safety against it. In case anyone isn't of the belief that wasn't a great show by Seattle's D against a good team with a backup level QB they are wrong. Keeping Brown and Fitz in check is never easy and Arians is a good coach, that team can be dangerous. Beating a divisional opponent is never easy yet Seattle stole the game from them in their house.

erik2690

Reaction score
Isn't Sando mostly saying we don't have a run game to pound clock? We needed 2 long runs just to bring our YPC up from horrible to bad. Rawls gained 23 of 27 yards off one run. That was the outlier run, the norm was 1-2 yards. I think his point was just usually in 4 min. situations you can run the ball 3 times and pick up a 1st a decent amount of the time.

Anthony!

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1d1fduut said:
If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Blah, blah.

Sando might be right but the above applies to this sort of thinking. Reality is the O is very unbalanced and can't easily or reliably control the clock with little ability to run effectively. It has become dependant upon RW's heroics to survive, instead of upon an ability to play smash mouth control the clock ball like the team would like. There is as a result more pressure on the D. There is no doubt that the O is very inconsistent and over dependent upon the pass with an OLine that can not consistently do it's job and which is weak at run blocking.

Seattle had 13 penalties and gave up 109 yards and a TD to AZ as a result. Many of those penalties were nonsense calls and dubious indeed, they changed the flow of the game keeping AZ in it, sort of. Notwithstanding, the strong D erased AZ's running game and stole points with a safety against it. In case anyone isn't of the belief that wasn't a great show by Seattle's D against a good team with a backup level QB they are wrong. Keeping Brown and Fitz in check is never easy and Arians is a good coach, that team can be dangerous. Beating a divisional opponent is never easy yet Seattle stole the game from them in their house.

you can take time off te clock with a good short passing game, the problem is we dont always use it and penalties get in the way. As to ball control smash mouth, the reality is the personnel we have dont match that. so our choice is doing what we are doing or goign with what worked, the uptempo wco boom offense.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Pete knew Stanton wouldn't beat us with a 12-point lead late in the game, so he went conservative with us winding the clock. Sure, they scored a late TD, but then had, what, 20 seconds left when they tried the on-sides kick? We met our objective.

On a sidenote, I'm pretty sure I saw Vegas' opening line at 5.5. Anyone have stories about placing a bet and then having it come down to that missed PAT?

mistaowen

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":r252dse5 said:
Pete knew Stanton wouldn't beat us with a 12-point lead late in the game, so he went conservative with us winding the clock. Sure, they scored a late TD, but then had, what, 20 seconds left when they tried the on-sides kick? We met our objective.

On a sidenote, I'm pretty sure I saw Vegas' opening line at 5.5. Anyone have stories about placing a bet and then having it come down to that missed PAT?

:34853_doh:

olyfan63

Reaction score
Josea16":zky5thxk said:
olyfan63":zky5thxk said:
mikeak":zky5thxk said:
Agreed. Stanton missed receivers and they had multiple drops. It could have been ugly

So totally this.
Stanton missed throw after throw that Carson Palmer would have put on the numbers. Major accuracy issues on his part.
Then we got lucky with receivers dropping several of the ones Stanton did hit them in the hands with.
We 99% certain lose this game if Palmer is playing QB for them. Palmer is much more accurate and would have picked us apart on the same throws that Stanton missed.
Uh, we are talking Stanton coreect? So stop the trolling and understand good teams win against bad teams with horrible quarterbacks every week of the year. Even WITH ridiculous officatiating.

Stanton seriously sucks. Good for us.

Do you make a habit of calling other posters trolls? Is name calling and moldy-cliche "lectures" your MO, in preference to actual discussion? And IIRC the thread starter was about Kam's injury being a consequence of the offense's inability to run out the clock, not Stanton. Anyway...

Sure, Stanton is less accurate, or "sucks" as you prefer to say, compared to Palmer but then his receivers let him down with several critical drops. Don't you remember freaking Austin Davis beating us as the Rams starting QB? Perhaps reflecting on that, you understand that good teams also on occasion lose to "bad" teams with lower-tier quarterbacks.

The point is that the Seahawks defense, and secondary in particular, was lucky to be facing a lesser QB rather than Palmer, or upcoming better QBs like Matt Ryan, Wentz, Prescott, Goff (2017 edition) etc, and will have to make adjustments and improvements. Of course Pete and Co. realize this and are working frantically on it.

Back to the point of the thread, with the D now somewhat compromised with Sherman out, the O will have to step up more than ever, score more points, run out the clock with a lead, etc. I do not profess any special expertise to mentor Darrell Bevell in fixing those issues; HOWEVER, all that expertise is on this board, and can readily be found in the latest "Weekly Fire Bevell!" thread, plus any thread with "O-Line" or similar in title, or maybe even in my personal favorite of thread titles, the "Weekly CJ Procise unavailability thread".