Schefter: All signs point to Eagles&Chip Kelly parting ways

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if he got hired somewhere as a head coach but I would still ask why? Has he shown any great qualities as a NFL head coach? The front office of the Eagles gave him the keys to the car, what excuse could he possibly have for failing at Philadelphia?

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2b62oixl said:
he probably set back the eagles franchise 4 yrs with his horrible desicions. He will probably trade for Riley Cooper though if he ends up with the titans....
The beauty of the salary cap is that no team is 4 years away from success if they make good moves.

2 or 3 good drafts, 2 years to get out from bad contracts while adding more reasonable contracts, and coordinators that fit with type of players on the team and ANY TEAM can win the super bowl.

Not even the worst GM sets their team back 4 years. If a team continues to suck for 4 years its because they continue to suck at bringing in good players.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2ppwb4mk said:
Sgt. Largent":2ppwb4mk said:
IMO Kelly going anywhere but back to college would be a mistake.

A 51 year old football coach doesn't change his philosophy, and it's obvious his tempo speed offense doesn't translate to beating bigger faster well conditioned defenses.................and he proved this year he has no idea what he's doing as a GM making dumpster fire personnel decisions.

Kelly belongs in college, and that's OK, a lot of great college coaches couldn't hack it in the NFL. He'd be great for any program. But another NFL gig? Idk, seems futile to me.

He has a better winning percentage in the nfl then pete Carroll does.

Not for long :)

Maulbert

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3247jynv said:
Sgt. Largent":3247jynv said:

A 51 year old football coach doesn't change his philosophy, and it's obvious his tempo speed offense doesn't translate to beating bigger faster well conditioned defenses.................and he proved this year he has no idea what he's doing as a GM making dumpster fire personnel decisions.

Kelly belongs in college, and that's OK, a lot of great college coaches couldn't hack it in the NFL. He'd be great for any program. But another NFL gig? Idk, seems futile to me.

Actually, he doesn't. Carroll is 88-66, a .571 winning percent. Kelly is 24-18, which is THE EXACT SAME .571 winning percentage. Go ahead, do the math. I'll wait.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Maulbert":wmkc1tum said:
JSeahawks":wmkc1tum said:
Sgt. Largent":wmkc1tum said:

Actually, he doesn't. Carroll is 88-66, a .571 winning percent. Kelly is 24-18, which is THE EXACT SAME .571 winning percentage. Go ahead, do the math. I'll wait.
Even if last week the statement were true, they are/were trending in opposite directions.

Kelly inherited a wealth of talent, won some games, threw away the talent to build "his own roster" and now sucks.

Carroll inherited crap and built his team from the ground up and success followed.

If I were Howie I'd be laughing and crying at the same time. Laughing because Chips made him look like a genius and crying because when he gets canned he's going to have a huge mess to clean up that will take years.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
His team getting slaughtered in Detroit should be the final nail in his philly coffin.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Things looking really really bad. I'd stil like to see him with a qb. I think we can all agree that coaches with a good qb look good, coaches with crap qbs look like crap. Definatly should never be given control of personnel though.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Seriously j, in all honesty, how can you think he's a good NFL Coach? I'll give you college, he was great there. But since Seattle layed the blueprint to beat his offense last season, Kelly's record is 5-10, counting today. And he's obviously an ATROCIOUS GM.

Edit- I clicked to add post seconds before your message went up, I hadn't seen your message yet. This wasn't meant as a reply, just really coincidental timing.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Why would Tennessee hire him at this point? It's an honest question. If they do offer him it's Ruston grasping at straws to buy time for himself.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Waiting for J to come in and tell us he'd prefer Chip to Pete in 5-4-3-2............

OK, that wasn't very nice but you did leave yourself open to it man.
Love ya J but Chip ain't a better choice than Pete to coach the Seahawks, and he's especially not a better choice to be the head of player personnel like Pete is here. He's a dumpster fire as a GM.

Frankly, I don't think his system will ever work in the NFL, but I am willing to see if it does if he ends up in Tennessee with a decent QB. If I'm any NFL team, he would not be GM and HC though.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Subzero717":2g5c10qn said:
Why would Tennessee hire him at this point? It's an honest question. If they do offer him it's Ruston grasping at straws to buy time for himself.

Honestly, because Tennessee tends to make weird decisions. They hired Ken Whisenhunt. Kelly is basically a much more sophisticated version of Whisenhunt. The Mariota-Kelly marriage would generate some temporary enthusiasm. But I'm still not convinced that Kelly's philosophy, which forfeits time of possession and puts enormous strain on his defenses, can be sustained at this level. He should return to college football, IMO. I hate to admit it, but Kelly with USC's talent and recruiting brand would be unstoppable.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2yzj6pvk said:
....But I'm still not convinced that Kelly's philosophy, which forfeits time of possession and puts enormous strain on his defenses, can be sustained at this level.........
Agree completely

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Maulbert":13tfxvnx said:
And there it is.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/UncleChaps/status/669988185619853312[/tweet]
Is that really Schefter's Twitter account? If so, yeah no surprise he's gone after that stinkfest today. Guessing it isn't cuz there's nothing on Mort's twitter page.