Schefter: Carroll also reaches deal

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
AgentDib":9lne4ytq said:
The shorter contract makes sense for both sides to me. After the 2019 season Carroll will have completed a 10 year coaching stint here and will be a year away from turning 70. If he still has the fire to continue then that's a better timing for another extension for both parties.
Seriously it's easy to envision him coaching possibly to his mid seventies. He has that energy that makes him younger then his actual age much like Larry Brown and a few others in basketball.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
Carroll, Sherman, Wagner, Chancellor, Earl Thomas, KJ Wright, Bennett, Avril, Lane.....on offense, obviously Russell Wilson, Doug Baldwin, Jermaine Kearse, and now pieces like Garry Gilliam, Thomas Rawls and whomever helps him at Running back, and ironically pieces like Jon Ryan and Hauschka are pieces that are going to be the baseline of the offense/special teams.

This "core" group is in their prime, approaching their prime or capable of playing at a high level for the next 3 to 4 years. In order for this extension to go beyond this 4 year run, it will be up to players like Ifedi, Frank Clark, Jarran Reed, Glowinski, Vannett, Alex Collins, Prosise and others to bridge the gap and get added to the core group above. At least 2 of the above players must be Pro Bowl borderline or caliber pieces to make this run truly successful.....add in an occasional trade by Schneider for a Sammy Watkins type of disgruntled piece that is elsewhere and you add years to Carroll's career.

If you measure the NFL timeline, if Russell Wilson progresses on the field over these next 3-4 years, Carroll will continue to coach beyond this extension.....great coaches don't leave winning QB's in the prime of their career. If Wilson levels off and doesn't take the next step of development to supplement the core of the defense, this is a 4 year "window".

I have a feeling Carroll will be around for at least the next 6 years and a couple of additional Lombardi trophies get added to the Great Northwest. Somehow our friends in Arizona, LA and SF have to be wondering when their window will open to compete....I don't see any of those franchises closing this gap or with windows that are going to truly match up each and every year.

I see Carolina, Seattle, Green Bay and perhaps Arizona (if they can replace Carson Palmer and Fitzgerald in the next year or two) as the contention in the NFC the next 4 years....Can we stay ahead and get back and will Carroll/Bevell outlast Arians, McCarthy and Ron Rivera??

Ruminator

Reaction score
Difficult to imagine anyone else coaching the Seahawks. Pete is unquestionably THE most important piece of any front office or player position (except the QB, perhaps), so much so that it feels like he's been here running the show for more than a decade. If that makes any sense.

sc85sis

Reaction score
The sound you hear in the distance is the collective weeping of our NFC West foes following the news that both Pete and John will be with the Seahawks through at least 2019.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
WOOT!!

A very hard man to replace with anyone, including Richard in three years. Carroll is that rare person who can juggle so many angles to sustaining success while remaining focused enough to continue to press forward. I shuddered when he first arrived, spouting what sounded like cliché slogans; however, to my astonishment, he made all of those words come alive. Very glad he signed up for another 3, and I hope he stays until he's 90!

I can't remember ever having more universal approval of a coach among all Seahawk fans I know of. The only people that seriously don't like him are fans of other teams. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

RiverDog

Reaction score
Maulbert":wxb9r2x9 said:
Never any doubt.

Not for me. I had some huge concerns, starting when Pete sold his house in Seattle last year and as far as I know, hasn't bought another. The three teams that appear to be on the move would have all been viable options....Jeff Fisher's contract is up this season, Del Rio's in his second season with the Raiders and they haven't had a head coach last more than 3 seasons since Art Shell in the early 90's, and Pete's spent one heck of a lot of time in the Golden State. He's also 64 years old, so he has to be at least thinking about the rocking chair. He's strung tighter than a drum and that devastating loss in the Super Bowl had to have been an emotional drain as it would have on any sane individual. No one could have blamed him if he decided to coach out his contract and retire.

But my optimism swelled once Schneider signed a few days ago. It increased significantly the possibility that Pete would re-up, too. Now that's all behind us and we can get down to the business of winning another Lombardi.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
sc85sis":2x4fnog4 said:
The sound you hear in the distance is the collective weeping of our NFC West foes following the news that both Pete and John will be with the Seahawks through at least 2019.

...and CArolina..and Green Bay...... :stirthepot:

Highlordb

Reaction score
Awesome! I love seeing Carrol and John signed to contracts....Time for more Superbowls!

HansGruber

Reaction score
I've never understood the LA Rams theory.

Carroll is from the Bay Area and has connections to NorCal, family there, etc. No real connection to LA outside of having coached at USC.

If Carroll goes back to cali, he'll be coaching the Raiders or Niners

Hawks46

Reaction score
sc85sis":30r3opi5 said:

I think Arizona fans are pretty happy with their set up, although it's going to not look as good when Palmer hangs em up. But yea, I'm betting SF and LA are both unhappy that we're going to continue owning them for the future.

RiverDog

Reaction score
HansGruber":17cd8477 said:
I've never understood the LA Rams theory.

Carroll is from the Bay Area and has connections to NorCal, family there, etc. No real connection to LA outside of having coached at USC.

If Carroll goes back to cali, he'll be coaching the Raiders or Niners

There's soon to be just one team in the Bay Area as the Raiders have pretty much burned all their bridges in Oakland. They'll be in either Las Vegas, LA, or San Antonio within the next 2 years.

Pete didn't seem to mind coaching for 15 years on the east coast or 800 miles away from the bay area in Seattle, so I don't know why he would necessarily find it unacceptable to coach 380 miles away in LA where he once owned the town.

But I'm happy to say that it's a moot point.