Schlereth and Cris Carter unload on Seahawks Offense

RW92

Reaction score
ivotuk":24ndw0ep said:
I disagree with you guys. It's not as easy as you, or others try to make it sound. Especially when you have double digit wins every year. You draft high.

Defense wins Championships

Who won the Superbowl last year? The #1 Scoring Defense in the NFL. New England.

Who were scary teams to go against last year in the playoffs?

Denver #4

Dallas, #5

Minnesota #6

Kansas City #7

This team will be fine. We have one of the best Offensive Line coaches in the NFL, but fans have little patience and they want to fire everybody. Just like the Eagles fired Andy Reid.

Pete's philosophy has not changed. Play good defense, develop the run game, and don't make turnovers.

This Offensive Line will improve every week until they get to league average, which is plenty good for this team. Remember, we lost our Left Tackle at the beginning of the season, the guy who took all of the reps during preseason.

I just don't understand all of the anger. This is nothing new. The team starts slow, then lights it up.

The kind of success we've had is RARE in the NFL.

I agree with you. But you didn't address a concern I have and have expressed in the past. And that is the lack of separating deep speed at the wide out. Baldwin is solid, and P. Rich and Tyler do get open now and then. But teams are playing us on a short field. They know we can't go deep quickly and our run blocking is terrible. So they crowd the line of scrimmage, flood the running lanes and scrambling lanes and that's pretty much the ball game. They will give us 3 yards all day, but there isn't anyone I can see that can take the top off the defense down the field. If Russ just had one receiver with that kind of speed it would be significantly different even keeping everything the same. I'm a Hawks fan, but it's hard to watch Russ get chased from pillar to post each play.

RussB

Reaction score
massari":3dqgc1c0 said:
Graham, Lacy, Lane and Joeckel make a combined $26M against the cap this season....put that money into the OL without overpaying for guys like Joeckel.

LG TJ Lang and RG Jahri Evans signed for a combined $11.7M average per year this past off season...why aren't they Seahawks?
This honestly baffles me. Should have never signed joekel. Traded graham for a cheap blocking TE, released lane. Then give contracts to whitworth and lang.

BOOM you have an o line that is serviceable. Look at the difference whitworth is making for the rams it honestly pisses me off that they didnt sign him.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
brimsalabim":l76qqfem said:
scutterhawk":l76qqfem said:
austinslater25":l76qqfem said:
Talent wise the Seahawks are in the upper half of the league on the offensive side of the ball so the argument that we spend more money on defense doesn't hold up to me. You have zero excuse to not score points with Wilson, Graham, Baldwin, Lockett, Richardson, Carson, Prosise etc. Team with much less are doing much better. We need to self scout and figure it out.
Yah....K D Wright :141847_bnono: ...... dumbasses.
Clicking on that was a waste of time, there's not a single one of them- NO, not ALL OF THEM TOGETHER are anywhere close to being on the same level as Pete Carroll when it comes to Coaching Championship football.....IF THEY WERE, THEY'D BE HIGHLY SUCCESSFULHEAD COACHES EH??? :stirthepot:
And you know far more than they would because they are only former all pro players and top NFL analyst while you slept at a holiday inn express last night.

These guys know what they are talking about and they are spot on with their remarks.
IF They're so damned smart, how come they ain't Head Coach somewhere in the NFL???????
And how many of them got the SEAHAWKS a LOMBARDI????Not a single one of them, that's how many.
I'll take Pete over ANY, and ALL of them, I'll leave to you to sing the praises of those blowhards.

The Twelvethman

Reaction score
Right at the end they said when Hawks won it all they were #1 paying OL.

They've found and created some good cheap OL talent but let them go just when they get to expensive to keep, however they are better at finding cheap good talent/rookies on the defensive side only to not have space for them come roster time.

As much as I love the defensive stars I'd rather let a couple go and keep OL that we have created to be good and play how we need and love the next cheap defensive star just as much.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The argument they put forth was lazy and poorly researched. This is a chicken vs egg argument, do the Seahawks not pay for players on the offensive side of the ball because it is their plan or because the players are not good enough to get second contracts. After the 2013 season, the Seahawks did not know that Tom Cable was a joke so they listened to him when he told them that he could whip up a championship Oline with tight ends, defensive tackles, and basketball players. By the time they figured out Tom Cable was a complete charlatan it was too late. If they had to do it all over again I think they would have kept Carpenter and Okung attempting to build the rest with late round draft picks.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
austinslater25":24wvm3z7 said:
Talent wise the Seahawks are in the upper half of the league on the offensive side of the ball so the argument that we spend more money on defense doesn't hold up to me. You have zero excuse to not score points with Wilson, Graham, Baldwin, Lockett, Richardson, Carson, Prosise etc. Team with much less are doing much better. We need to self scout and figure it out.

Top half? That's a reach

With the exception of Graham and Wilson, none of those you just mentioned would be a number 1 on a good team. Not even Baldwin. We have talent but let's not get carried away. You can definitely argue that the Panthers, Packers, or even the Rams have more offensive talent than we do. You're overrating our guys, but collectively they're perfect for the team. And Wilson makes the show

Josea16

Reaction score
Scorpion05":3ioajard said:
austinslater25":3ioajard said:

Top half? That's a reach

With the exception of Graham and Wilson, none of those you just mentioned would be a number 1 on a good team. Not even Baldwin. We have talent but let's not get carried away. You can definitely argue that the Panthers, Packers, or even the Rams have more offensive talent than we do. You're overrating our guys, but collectively they're perfect for the team. And Wilson makes the show
Seriously? Baldwin and Lockett make any NFL roster and Carson makes it on 90% low end. Stop the insanity please.

Josea16

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1n5m0ocb said:
austinslater25":1n5m0ocb said:

Top half? That's a reach

You have to be joking right? Baldwin, Lockett, Graham and Carson definitely are elite and others are above average. We just have to get our OL half fixed and run a shorter passing uptempo offense. Simply score fast and watch the defense do its thing.

themunn

Reaction score
mistaowen":1tjkgxv2 said:
Bring up good points. Doug Baldwin is one of the best WR in the NFL and he's giving up money to get more defensive players on an already stacked defense. We're already spending a lot on a TE who should be used like a WR but yet he just blocks. This offense benefited so incredibly much from Marshawn being able to take a negative run and turn it into a big gain. I've said this so many times, the scheme sucks. The current offensive roster needs to be a spread style uptempo team. They aren't built to churn out looooooong punishing drives at this point.

Baldwin is the 8th highest paid WR in the league, he's not giving up money for anybody

OP
OP
L

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Josea16":3tvx49qk said:
Scorpion05":3tvx49qk said:
austinslater25":3tvx49qk said:

Top half? That's a reach

You have to be joking right? Baldwin, Lockett, Graham and Carson definitely are elite and others are above average. We just have to get our OL half fixed and run a shorter passing uptempo offense. Simply score fast and watch the defense do its thing.

What has Lockett done to be considered elite? What has Carson done to be considered elite?
The rose colored glasses have a strong hue I see.
Baldwin is the only real elite talent we have....and that's only from the slot.
Jimmy is nearing the end. Elite TEs don't hear footsteps and get alligator arms when going for catches.

Rams, Cardinals, Patriots, Dolphins, Packers, Vikings, Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, Redskins, Broncos, Chargers, Raiders, Chiefs, Steelers, Atlanta, Tampa Bay have better players than us at skills position on offense. Cumulatively, we're average talent on skills position. So I agree with the other poster.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I see the keyboard GMs are out in force again. :roll:
This is getting so old.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Josea16":2hvg1d2f said:
Scorpion05":2hvg1d2f said:
austinslater25":2hvg1d2f said:

Top half? That's a reach

The right word for what we have is "potential". But here is the thing about potential, it is wasted energy. Sure, Lockett has the potential to be Antonio Brown, but the thing is potential is wasted energy until it is realized. Carson is most definitely not elite at the moment, he has that elusive value that may never be cashed in on "potential". Players like Carson and Lockett have shown glimpses of being good players, but are they elite? Hell no. In order to be elite you have to be a known quantity, and produce over a sustained period of time.

This "potential" thing is exactly where we get into trouble. We convert basketball players into left tackles, and start them their first year in the league with no college experience -- just because they have good measurables. We turn defensive tackles into guards, and Pete still pretends like things are fine. Our only known, productive quantities on offense are Britt, Wilson, Graham, and Baldwin. Unfortunately, Britt is surrounded by garbage so that player is somewhat mitigated if four other guys aren't getting blocked, and our TE is being used in a manner that does not utilize his skill set. It gets worse in Jimmy Grahams case -- we are highlighting the weakest portion of his game by playing him as we have been.

Really the only weapon we can truly count on is Doug Baldwin due to either our coaching staffs limitations, or past performances/health issues. Richardson, and Lockett have shown glimpses of being good, but both of them have not been able to stay healthy when they got significant playing time.

Our offense is revolving around players that either can't stay healthy, are flat out bad (most of our line), or players that have little to no experience as starters. To sum up our situation --- our offense is a mass of moving parts that do not fit together. We have defective parts in our machine (the line), pieces that don't fit the machine (Graham), and parts that tend to be broken more often than not (Procise, Rawls, Richardson, Lockett).

Jville

Reaction score
LOL ........ Cris Carter still hasn't gotten over his Super Bowl disappointments as a player. What a agonizing reaction to Richard Sherman's latest interview. Carter could only talk about himself. He remains hobbled by his own personal grievances that haunt him to this very day. He may never out grow it.

That interpretive segment is an excellent example of why it's important to listen in on the original speaker (Richard Sherman) rather than rely on some interpretive or bad reaction.

Make listening to the original source the priority.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":3uemik8f said:
I see the keyboard GMs are out in force again. :roll:
This is getting so old.

How dare someone have the audacity to discuss football on a football board? The nerve!

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ivotuk":3jyz5cws said:
I disagree with you guys. It's not as easy as you, or others try to make it sound. Especially when you have double digit wins every year. You draft high.

Defense wins Championships

Who won the Superbowl last year? The #1 Scoring Defense in the NFL. New England.

Who were scary teams to go against last year in the playoffs?

Denver #4

Dallas, #5

Minnesota #6

Kansas City #7

New England had the 4th ranked offense.

Dallas had the "5th ranked" scoring defense.. but that was aided in large part because of an offense that bled the clock out by running the football and limiting turnovers. Also.. ICYMI, Aaron Rodgers cut them up when it mattered. Citing the Cowboys defense as a means to say everything is peachy in the 206 is well.. hilariously off.

Kansas City - one and done, what sank them in January? Their offense.

And lastly, Denver and Minnesota didn't even make the playoffs - no one was scared of them in January. :lol: :lol:

Defenses do win championships - TO A POINT. Very rarely do they win a championship with an offense that cannot score touchdowns.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":3j98z8vo said:

I can think of at least 4 excuses off the top of my head. One of them rhymes with Blowinski.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
For the millionth time, none of this chatter is happening if Tanner McEvoy and C.J. Prosise don't drop those passes.

mikeak

Reaction score
ivotuk":3l77gw4q said:
I just don't understand all of the anger. This is nothing new. .

You do understand.................

I am probably an outlier in my belief that this team really doesn't need much more on player side. We simply continue to fail to be aggressive on offense and we don't mix it up. It makes it VERY VERY SIMPLE to attack our weakness.

If you are going to build a team with a weakness then you better figure out how to support it. We are doing the opposite. I don't care who's fault it is - it is just that we don't do anything to help out a crappy O-line.