Schlereth and Cris Carter unload on Seahawks Offense

mikeak

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3l0t82vb said:
For the millionth time, none of this chatter is happening if Tanner McEvoy and C.J. Prosise don't drop those passes.

As I said BEFORE last weeks game. Going in and blowing out the 49ers proves absolutely nothing. The fact that we didn't actually does show something.

Get back to me when we score points on a decent team and now I will start believing

iigakusei

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3bje0dbz said:
For the millionth time, none of this chatter is happening if Tanner McEvoy and C.J. Prosise don't drop those passes.
Very true - but should the margin of error be that small? What if the Niners picked off RW two or three times which they easily could have? What would the chatter be then?

xgeoff

Reaction score
mistaowen":21rlo3s5 said:
Bring up good points. Doug Baldwin is one of the best WR in the NFL and he's giving up money to get more defensive players on an already stacked defense. We're already spending a lot on a TE who should be used like a WR but yet he just blocks. This offense benefited so incredibly much from Marshawn being able to take a negative run and turn it into a big gain. I've said this so many times, the scheme sucks. The current offensive roster needs to be a spread style uptempo team. They aren't built to churn out looooooong punishing drives at this point.

I agree with you but I think that the O-line play is more of a problem than the scheme itself. If we got offensive line play that did the following:

1. Allow the RB to get to the LOS before contact
2. Give Russ a few seconds to throw without running for his life (let's say he gets the league avg in terms of time to throw)

If those two things happen, I believe that the offense will score, despite the fact that I am not always a fan of the playcalling.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2fkd3d8p said:
Man........The rams are carving up this "tough" Niners defense right now. Really puts into perspective how much our offense is struggling right now.

Yeah, that 'legit' Niners Defense, SMH :)

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1r3dewvu said:

I disagree. Even if there are not two dropped TD's, our offense hasn't exactly been humming at any point during the first 8 quarters.

Fortunately though, it's Week 3 .. not Week 16. Lot of time to get it right, but they have to get it right soon.

xgeoff

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":tkswtrje said:
The current offensive line is built on leftover scraps and throw away pieces.

This is a red herring. The Seahawks have spent more draft capital on the O Line than just about any other team in the league. The problem is that they cannot evaluate talent.

For example, of the five starting offensive linemen, here is where we got them:

-- Germain Ifedi, 1st rd draft choice
-- Justin Britt, 2nd rd draft choice
-- Rees Odiambo, 3rd rd draft choice
-- Mark Glowinski, 4th rd draft choice
-- Luke Joeckel, former 1st rd draft choice that we are paying $7 million per year and pursued as a free agent

Where are the leftover scraps? WTF are you talking about? This notion that we don't pay attention to the line is absolute BS. We...just...can't...evaluate...talent...there.

And whose job is it to evaluate this talent? Tom Cable. Nuff said.

RCATES

Reaction score
It blows my mind how uneducated these analyst are on whats going on when its their only job to do so. We easily have a top 10 center who just got paid. And we have a first rounder playing right tackle. The left guard was a former first rounder who is also getting paid. Its not like we haven't tried to get better as these media morons put it. We're just not willing to overpay in FA like other teams have for O-Line players. I believe this line will get better. It just takes time with most of these guys being in new positions. RW also needs to start trusting these guys. He's part of the issue right now. Its just week 3. This offense will continue to get better.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Rose colored glasses is a funny thing when it comes to WRs in Seattle. For instance, Kearse is already on pace for a really good season, not unlike Tate.

Even with the OL, we seem to do a lot wrong.

xgeoff

Reaction score
RCATES":2sdvb4ix said:
It blows my mind how uneducated these analyst are on whats going on when its their only job to do so. We easily have a top 10 center who just got paid. And we have a first rounder playing right tackle. The left guard was a former first rounder who is also getting paid. Its not like we haven't tried to get better as these media morons put it. We're just not willing to overpay in FA like other teams have for O-Line players. I believe this line will get better. It just takes time with most of these guys being in new positions. RW also needs to start trusting these guys. He's part of the issue right now. Its just week 3. This offense will continue to get better.

Exactly, they don't seem to do their homework, even guys like Matt Hasselbeck who should know better. But they buy into this narrative without looking below the surface, and in fact they don't have to dig too deep.

In terms of these guys getting better, I disagree. I don't see Odhiambo, Joeckel, Glowinski or Ifedi getting better. And that is a *lot* of draft capital to waste. We absolutely need better talent eval for the line. We desperately need a different Line Coach.

That being said, every week I keep hoping that I am wrong and that this line will gel or show some sort of improvement. Give Russ some time and he will do amazing things.

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":9xlriqsi said:

But they did drop them, and saying that we should count on 100% catch rate is pretty darn silly. We should never have been down to that low of a margin against that team to begin with. Besides that, was this an entertaining game for you to watch if we take the drops away?

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
RCATES":1q5nixjf said:

I'm getting tired of this OL discussion not because it's resolved, but because nothing changes. Yes, we invest significant draft capital in the position group. This year we even spent some FA money there. That's what makes it frustrating. Tony Dungy has a decent eye for talent and his comment was, "[Seattle] just needs to get better players."

Makes me think the OL talent eval of this organization is a bit of a laughing stock around the league. Shitty, because they're superb pretty much everywhere else.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":1503myya said:
Makes me think the OL talent eval of this organization is a bit of a laughing stock around the league. Shitty, because they're superb pretty much everywhere else.

There seems to be one common theme behind all of the OL troubles.

His name rhymes with Bomb Fable.

themunn

Reaction score
brimsalabim":n0yn585s said:
scutterhawk":n0yn585s said:
austinslater25":n0yn585s said:
Talent wise the Seahawks are in the upper half of the league on the offensive side of the ball so the argument that we spend more money on defense doesn't hold up to me. You have zero excuse to not score points with Wilson, Graham, Baldwin, Lockett, Richardson, Carson, Prosise etc. Team with much less are doing much better. We need to self scout and figure it out.
Yah....K D Wright :141847_bnono: ...... dumbasses.
Clicking on that was a waste of time, there's not a single one of them- NO, not ALL OF THEM TOGETHER are anywhere close to being on the same level as Pete Carroll when it comes to Coaching Championship football.....IF THEY WERE, THEY'D BE HIGHLY SUCCESSFULHEAD COACHES EH??? :stirthepot:
And you know far more than they would because they are only former all pro players and top NFL analyst while you slept at a holiday inn express last night.

These guys know what they are talking about and they are spot on with their remarks.

I heard Cris Carter thinks our O-Line is pedestrian - they're appetizers.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Depressing stat of the day:

This season Jared Goff is 11/11 with 5 TDs in the red zone.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
massari":2ww5zrk3 said:
Graham, Lacy, Lane and Joeckel make a combined $26M against the cap this season....put that money into the OL without overpaying for guys like Joeckel.

LG TJ Lang and RG Jahri Evans signed for a COMBINED $11.7M average per year this past off season...why aren't they Seahawks? Probably could've fit in LT Reiff / Whitworth / Beachum as well.

Maybe no one wants to play OL in Seattle....

We made a strong offer to Lang, he just wanted to play at home... So the argument is ridiculous. We were right there to sign him but he wanted to be closer to family. There's nothing we could have done more.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
ludakrishna":15stk870 said:
About damn time the national media begun questioning Prophet Carroll. The local media certainly wont. Schlereth soliloquy is beautiful.

https://youtu.be/DTO14Yk-PU8

GREAT segment. Thanks for posting.

Goes 100% to what I was warning of last season. The team has been off for a while. The sideline/locker room vibe has not been good.

I've used the phrase "the beginning of the end of the Pete Carroll era" before. Perhaps we're well past the beginning of the end already...

hawk45

Reaction score
jlwaters1":26la16kt said:
massari":26la16kt said:
Graham, Lacy, Lane and Joeckel make a combined $26M against the cap this season....put that money into the OL without overpaying for guys like Joeckel.

LG TJ Lang and RG Jahri Evans signed for a COMBINED $11.7M average per year this past off season...why aren't they Seahawks? Probably could've fit in LT Reiff / Whitworth / Beachum as well.

We made a strong offer to Lang, he just wanted to play at home... So the argument is ridiculous. We were right there to sign him but he wanted to be closer to family. There's nothing we could have done more.

100% false we could not have done more.

Here is a Seattle Times article reading tea leaves about comments he had made about it being cool to play for the hometown team. This same article says "indications are that Seattle and Detroit's deal are essentially the same."

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/t-j-lang-spurns-seahawks-for-lions/

An article in the Detroit free press directly contradicts that narrative.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2017/03/13/tj-lang-detroit-lions/99139002/

This article contains quotes from Lang about how he didn't think Detroit would counteroffer the Seahawks offer, and that he left Seattle 99% sure he would be a Seahawk.

He admits near the bottom that the hometown factor helped. But he states baldly that it was Detroit's last-minute offer increase that made the decision easy for him. He's getting paid 9.5 per in Detroit. ESPN reported we offered him 8 per.

We could have gone to 11 or 12 and still had way better value than lighting 8 mil on fire for Joeckel.

When you can't identify talent in the draft, coach up the talent, and don't re-sign your decent players leaving you multiple holes and players at new positions each season, you either overpay in FA or you continue to suck.

What pisses me off even more, if possible, is I would be perfectly fine if it was just that they could not bring themselves to tie up so much money on the guard position, since they have in the past developed guards and they have shown not one iota of knowing what an NFL tackle looks like. But then they go and pay 8 for Joeckel to use him at guard. I just...

razor150

Reaction score
massari":2v63kq4f said:

As I pointed out in another thread, we actually did sign Evans. We have a team that only gives and keeps players that Cable wants, we cut him. We freaking cut him and then he went back to the Saints and showed how stupid of a decision we made by having a better season than everyone on our line except maybe Britt.

Seymour":2v63kq4f said:
MontanaHawk05":2v63kq4f said:

But they did drop them, and saying that we should count on 100% catch rate is pretty darn silly. We should never have been down to that low of a margin against that team to begin with. Besides that, was this an entertaining game for you to watch if we take the drops away?

Do we also take away the Ints that were dropped?

massari

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":2nac6qx6 said:
I see the keyboard GMs are out in force again. :roll:
This is getting so old.
It's almost like this is a Seahawks forum and people are talking Seahawks. Weirdos.

Some people even go as far as keyboard coaching and scouting. Check this football expert out :

TOP kills any defense. This is ALL on the inability to run the ball and sustain drives. The defense got pooped. Before that, they were killing it. Too bad really. The OLine is still a dumpster fire.
I thought he looked good last night. He will only get better.