Penix

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Can anyone who is less myopic than me when it comes to college football explain why Penix isn’t even sniffing the top 5 QBs on anyone’s draft boards?

I watched every Huskies game last season and while he has his faults like any QB, he is a marvel to watch and one hell of a hose for a left arm.

I can’t believe he is down so low on most people’s boards. I humbly ask, what am I missing?

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
The negatives:
4 major injuries with two on the same ACL
Funky low wind up / release
Left handed (changes blocking, exchanges, and even receiving)
Age (24 in May)
Debatable, but the only offense he’s played in is very player friendly ie not a traditional ‘pro-style’ offense.
Played behind an amazing OL with a very talented WR core.
Poorest performance as a Husky came in the biggest game against a pro-style defense.

Personal observation: not as bad as Caleb crying to Mama, but what was up with sticking his head in an equipment box? Just weird.

Rosco

Reaction score
his injury history but mostly he has shown he doesn’t handle pressure very well. He tends to lose his composure for lack of a better word. Most NFL teams don’t have the luxury of having all-pros at every position on the oline.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
his injury history but mostly he has shown he doesn’t handle pressure very well. He tends to lose his composure for lack of a better word. Most NFL teams don’t have the luxury of having all-pros at every position on the oline.
Disagree, He's stepped up and carried the offense in almost every big game he's played in. He made that line look even better by getting rid of the ball and not taking sacks. My knock is he was too quick to throw it away and didn't do enough to extend plays. He's cold blooded with a short memory, exactly what you need. Penix is suffering from idiotic east coast bias and the Heisman proves that.

chris98251

Reaction score
Can anyone who is less myopic than me when it comes to college football explain why Penix isn’t even sniffing the top 5 QBs on anyone’s draft boards?

I watched every Huskies game last season and while he has his faults like any QB, he is a marvel to watch and one hell of a hose for a left arm.

I can’t believe he is down so low on most people’s boards. I humbly ask, what am I missing?
Mediots pushing pre agendas, Penix coming from Indiana, only thing in Indiana worth Talking about is Bobby Knights history, his injury history, the phantom judgement that he can no longer run, came from a system that was friendly too him and didn't challenge his decision process.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The negatives:
4 major injuries with two on the same ACL
Funky low wind up / release
Left handed (changes blocking, exchanges, and even receiving)
Age (24 in May)
Debatable, but the only offense he’s played in is very player friendly ie not a traditional ‘pro-style’ offense.
Played behind an amazing OL with a very talented WR core.
Poorest performance as a Husky came in the biggest game against a pro-style defense.

Personal observation: not as bad as Caleb crying to Mama, but what was up with sticking his head in an equipment box? Just weird.
Geezus, this crap AGAIN? He was sick, he had food poisoning. It was confirmed several times. Still holding on to this crap?
Did this guy pee in someone's cereal or something? One of the classiest, most clutch players in football, and people are working hard to just knock him down. It makes ZERO sense. It's strange and creepy all in one. He doesn't handle pressure well? A dude that just got done winning 21 straight games, 10-0 vs. ranked teams before the championship game and 3-0 vs. BO AND 3 and the Quacks? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Never mind, I don't really belong in this thread. It'll just be more made-up shit about the guy that doesn't exist. Other than the Injury stuff, he can do it all.

Last edited:

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Left handed QB changes the offensive scheme, but makes every defense we play have to adjust as well. Wash.

Penix handled pressure just fine. Lots of plays where he had to move around and find space, scramble, and has shown he can throw on the run. Also stood in pocket and took hits to make plays.

Michigan had the best defense in the history of college football last year. Washington had key injuries, dropped passes, etc.

His injuries are really the biggest concern. Yet, he did manage to play the last two years without getting injured.

I don't think his age is an issue. Bo Nix is older than Penix. Nobody is looking to get 10 years out of a QB. NFL is a win now league. Also, there is little to no difference in teachability between guys in their early 20s vs mid 20s.

I am all for Penix. Like Aros, I watched every game he played for the Huskies, and really can't point to any weaknesses in his game, other than maybe his throwing motion. He's not slow, but he's kind of a side-armer. So is Patrick Mahomes.

With that said, you never know with QBs. They could be great. Or not. They might get injured. Or not.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And throwing motion has absolutely nothing to do with production and winning. You either make the throws or you don't. He can make ALL of the throws.
Phillip Rivers basically did a shot put on every throw.
Look, some think he will be damn good, some don't. It's all a guessing game anyway. But damn, I just don't get the 24/7 Penix will be a bust stuff. It's odd.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Well, I think the issue could be batted passes. However, I believe a QB can work on that and figure out how to avoid them.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Like any QB, he has his strengths and weaknesses, I guess I put a lot more stock in wins, how clutch someone is when it matters etc.
He has plenty to improve on, as does every QB who will be drafted in April. Shoot, if he could sit for a year behind someone and learn, that would be huge for him, imo.
The medicals coming up will be everything. Two full seasons w/out an injury SHOULD matter, but I totally understand teams and fans being nervous.
And there's a big part of me that hopes he doesn't end up here, plus I don't think he will anyway. Mainly because I don't feel like listening to 24/7 blasting of the guy, he's glass, he'll be a bust blah blah blah. All before he takes the field. In the meantime, people are comparing a 21-year-old QB to Tom f'ing Brady.

And for the record, IF they drafted him, I absolutely would be nervous about the injury history. All while being pretty damn stoked that he ended up here.

chris98251

Reaction score
Just remember everyone, they more the Mediots cast doubt on him the more drive he will have as well, seen his interviews and he has confidence and is a bit cocky, the kind of guy that wants to make people eat crow, now if he can just drop to the third round.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
If he's available in the second round, I think we have to take him. Even if we used our first round pick on McCarthy.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Geezus, this crap AGAIN? He was sick, he had food poisoning. It was confirmed several times. Still holding on to this crap?
Did this guy pee in someone's cereal or something? One of the classiest, most clutch players in football, and people are working hard to just knock him down. It makes ZERO sense. It's strange and creepy all in one. He doesn't handle pressure well? A dude that just got done winning 21 straight games, 10-0 vs. ranked teams before the championship game and 3-0 vs. BO AND 3 and the Quacks? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Never mind, I don't really belong in this thread. It'll just be more made-up shit about the guy that doesn't exist. Other than the Injury stuff, he can do it all.
I’m not bashing on the guy, just listing the commonly mentioned negatives. Pre-combine I’d put him as a 3rd rounder with a chance to go in the 2nd.

Food poisoning was the reason for the head in the equipment box? Wouldn’t a bucket make more sense? I’m an alum and watch most of the games, but don’t claim to follow college anywhere near as much as the pros.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
We shall see, still a couple months to go.

Why are you so obsessed with where a guy pukes? It's really strange. I didn't realize sick had to look a certain way. And he WON the game. As usual.
And yes, you are bashing him. Not sure why you clearly just don't like and/or believe in the guy. But oh well, that's YOUR point of view. Not mine.

3rd rounder? Dear God........

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Left handed QB changes the offensive scheme, but makes every defense we play have to adjust as well. Wash.

I don't think his age is an issue. Bo Nix is older than Penix. Nobody is looking to get 10 years out of a QB. NFL is a win now league. Also, there is little to no difference in teachability between guys in their early 20s vs mid 20s.
Rushers routinely switch sides, OTs don’t. Adjustment is much more systemic for the offense. Do you simply mirror you protection schemes, is QB2 a lefty, etc, etc.

The age thing is less about remaining utility and more about career development arc. How do you compare a 6yr player with a 3yr guy? Physical development, familiarity with scheme, etc.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, him being left handed has been SOOOOOO horrible for his college career :ROFLMAO:

You've made your point, he's a bust waiting to happen who isn't worth drafting.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
We shall see, still a couple months to go.

Why are you so obsessed with where a guy pukes? It's really strange. I didn't realize sick had to look a certain way. And he WON the game. As usual.
And yes, you are bashing him. Not sure why you clearly just don't like and/or believe in the guy. But oh well, that's YOUR point of view. Not mine.

3rd rounder? Dear God........
I brought it up because it was an odd behavior and inconsistent with his demeanor on field. Potentially speaks to coping mechanisms / psychology quirks. I’ll feel better about the whole thing if he can win a staring contest with JS 😜

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Rushers routinely switch sides, OTs don’t. Adjustment is much more systemic for the offense. Do you simply mirror you protection schemes, is QB2 a lefty, etc, etc
Fair point..I would add though that all the defense would have to constantly remember that the QB tendencies will be flipped.

Having Olines operate oppositely has been done before with lefty QBs. it can be done again.

The age thing is less about remaining utility and more about career development arc. How do you compare a 6yr player with a 3yr guy? Physical development, familiarity with scheme, etc.
If we are talking college? In Penix's case, he was injured twice, which is why he was in college so long. Plus NIL money. He was able to learn two different offensive schemes, and also has a lot of fundamentals down pretty well for a college player. If it took him 6 years just to be a "good" QB with raw potential and not elite like he was, then yes the 6 years might indicate that he is slow to develop.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It was a joke, but I think you've made your point and I've made mine. Plus, Penix isn't allowed to be sick, horrible leader!! for Shame!!! He only won 21 games in a row, was the Heisman runner up, Pac 12 champ and played in the National Championship game. But....but...left handed....but.....strange delivery.......but didn't puke in a bucket, the list goes on and on.
Penix > BO AND 3