Scruggs and Howard

polarbill1999

Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on how these guys played and progressed during the season? One is currently the backup to Red and the other most likely the backup to whatever 3T we sign/resign. Also with Scruggs Athleticism he could move into Jason Jones role on passing downs.

Any thoughts?

Largent80

Reaction score
At this point I believe we need to re-sign Branch and let S & H progress because our options at DT are minimal. I want to believe Quinn will get more out of them.

Floridahawk79

Reaction score
Largent80":131j9l6w said:
At this point I believe we need to re-sign Branch and let S & H progress because our options at DT are minimal. I want to believe Quinn will get more out of them.

I was thinking the same thing. I hope Quinn and the new D-line coach can do some magic as Cable has done with the O-line.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I have full confidence in this staff's ability to DEVELOPE talent (Which is a big deal considering my college football team seems incapable of doing that)

Just look at the 2nd/3rd year players and their progress very few saw coming.

Cam Chancellor goes from role player as a rookie to a pro-bowl safety in 1 season.

Anthony McCoy and Golden Tate in year 3 take significiant steps foward in their progress.

Malcolm Smith in his 2nd year showed he could play at least as well as Leroy Hill.

I think you'll see Scruggs, Howard and Irvin all take significiant steps forward this year.

I also beleive we'll invest in 2 more DT's in the draft to continue to develop depth.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
jlwaters1":1eojf90b said:
I have full confidence in this staff's ability to DEVELOPE talent (Which is a big deal considering my college football team seems incapable of doing that)

Cam Chancellor goes from role player as a rookie to a pro-bowl safety in 1 season.

Anthony McCoy and Golden Tate in year 3 take significiant steps foward in their progress.

Malcolm Smith in his 2nd year showed he could play at least as well as Leroy Hill.

I think you'll see Scruggs, Howard and Irvin all take significiant steps forward this year.

I also beleive we'll invest in 2 more DT's in the draft to continue to develop depth.

I agree with a lot of this myself; I don't want to minimize the DT position but it is not rocket science. If you are big and strong and physical then you just need a little coaching to make a few quick decisions each play and proper footwork.

Dismas

Reaction score
I don't know enough to judge how well they have progressed, but, judging by the team's actions in FA so far, I am guessing that Pete may feel they have a chance to contribute heavily this year . . .

The Harvin signing was nearly a luxury deal, and the Avril signing does fill a need, but I still feel the teams biggest need this season is to find a strong, pocket pushing DT, and they have studiously NOT done that yet.

So, either they have a target in the draft that they are confident will last to the 2nd round, or they have bodies on the team that they feel will step up and produce.

Just my opinion, but JS seems to operate about 3 moves ahead of what we actually see happening.

Killa Kam

Reaction score
jlwaters1":2i5l2301 said:

Dude how do you forget All Pro Richard Sherman lol not to mention Max Unger :0190l:

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I'm hopeful for Scruggs. He played meaningful minutes last season. His development seemed to be paralleling that of Kam Chancellor in his rookie campaign. He has some really ideal physical measurables and his athleticism is top shelf.

Jaye Howard I don't hold out hope for. It was not a good sign that we left him inactive even though he was healthy to play. I just get the distinct impression that this was a guy who looked good on his college tape, but once the team got a good look at him, they didn't like what they saw. He received the Charlie Whitehurst treatment. He was a fourth round pick that was figuratively stashed away on the inactive list. That's really a terrible start to the career.

SuperHawks

Reaction score
These guys will be just fine. We'll be set at DT if we can re-sign Branch.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I'm banking on massive improvement from both of them. No reason other than because I want it to be true, at this point.

pehawk

Reaction score
Yeah, Howard was a HUGE dissapointment. A big dude not making the active roster is odd. You can never have enough big bodies rotating.

Scruggs is the utility knife, IMO. I think he's being groomed, and will succeed, in playing every position along the line. He could also be a future Red Bryant, who MAY add a little more QB pressure.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
polarbill1999":3ggb04sd said:
What are people's thoughts on how these guys played and progressed during the season? One is currently the backup to Red and the other most likely the backup to whatever 3T we sign/resign. Also with Scruggs Athleticism he could move into Jason Jones role on passing downs.

Any thoughts?

Yeah i think Scruggs can play the jason jones role and with the offseason workouts they both should add some muscle to bring their game to the next level i've read an article that said most rookies that participate in the full offseason workouts add about 10 lbs of muscle. But i think having Quinn as our new DC will give us an inside track on Howard, Quinn will know him best and how to get the most out of him becuase if he don't improve with the way this roster is shaping up he might be on the chopping block roster spot is'nt a given.

smashmouth59

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":27j4l56z said:
I'm banking on massive improvement from both of them. No reason other than because I want it to be true, at this point.

Well said. I suspect you are not alone in this line of thinking.

Fortunately, our Front office has a more objective perspective allowing us homers to just be happy to be Seahawk fans!

sutz

Reaction score
As fans, we don't get to see all of the things that coaches see, like their workout routines, discipline and motivation, practice habits, etc. It appears that our FO is not in the panic mode that some around here are about the interior DL. Partly, I guess that is because they are psychologically attuned to NOT panic when a problem/need arises.

I can't get into their heads, and I don't have any link to insider info, but their approach here (which rivals their approach in just about everything so far) seems to be keep an eye open for talent, but don't stare too intently in any one direction. One to prevent the kind of target fixation fans and draftniks fall into all too often, and two, so they don't telegraph what they have in mind to competitors.

On the one hand, these guys have been pretty open about discussing needs with the media. OTOH, they have been able to "surprise" most folks in their final actions. Two years ago, they said they needed to address OL, yet everyone was 'surprised' they used two high picks in that area. It remains to be seen how good those picks are/were, but they did what they said they would. Last year, they said before the draft they wanted pass rush, enter Bruce Irvin, a reach in many folks' opinion, that got 8 sacks his rookie season (not sure about that number).

So this year, they pointedly said they wanted 'more weapons' for Russell Wilson, and then 'surprised' many folks by signing Percy Harvin. I, like most, was saying such a move was a pipe dream a week or so ago, but there you are. I, like many, focused on another press interview/conference where they said they wanted to upgrade the pass rush further and thought that would come first. Silly me. The Harvin deal was a huge opportunity that John and Pete jumped on and closed the deal. Their current inaction tells me that there aren't that many DL out there in FA that they think would be a good fit for the cost. At least not yet. They've done pretty well so far waiting and taking what we think of as second or third tier FA once the market frenzy of the first few days dies down. By doing that, they have saved tons of money, and they have still been able to acquire damn good talent.

In JS&PJ I trust.

(I know, I know, I said the same thing about Ruskell. So sue me. In this case, Pete and John are building a pretty good track record. :))

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
sutz":1zxdvxd3 said:
It appears that our FO is not in the panic mode that some around here are about the interior DL. Partly, I guess that is because they are psychologically attuned to NOT panic when a problem/need arises.

I don't know man. Did you see Pete Carroll's face when he was talking about needing pass rush? He looked like he just got the 'It's not you, it's me' speech.

I don't know that it's panic. But it's clearly holding this team back. I think Pete was frustrated at the end of the season. Fans know it. Part of being so complete, is that the remaining holes are strangely conspicuous.

I knew our interior rush sucked for years. I banged the table for Phil Taylor in 2011 and Fletcher Cox in 2012. Imagine if Seattle traded down from 75 to 80, and that team picked up Russell Wilson and we were left with Kirk Cousins. That's pretty much how I viewed the Irvin pick on draft day. Even today, I'd trade Irvin for Cox straight up and not bat an eye.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Howard barely saw the field at all so there is not much to go off of. But clearly he did not do enough last year to earn PT.

Scruggs did quite well for a 7th rounder and he has some positional flexibility I think so you have to like his future.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Killa Kam":1rjh0au7 said:
jlwaters1":1rjh0au7 said:

Dude how do you forget All Pro Richard Sherman lol not to mention Max Unger :0190l:

Good points-- Sherman has been good from the beginning-- Love his play against the Bengals. Unger is a great illustration, his first year he plays guard and most on here mock him. His 2nd year is skuttled due to a toe injury. His 1st year as a Center he plays well and then his 2nd full year as starting Center he's an All-Pro.

I love the improvements we see from these young players. It's astonishing to me to see the growth each and every year. I fully expect the DL to continue to grow and develop. If Bryant can stay healthy he should be a bigger factor as well.

SDHawk

Reaction score
Jaye Howard played for Dan Quinn at Florida so he may make the leap this year.

Quin coached a top 10 defense at Florida during 2011 and 2012.

I like the idea of going heavy on Florida players in the draft. It's a good way to de-risk your young additions and ensure that the transition is as painless as possible.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=66236

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
pehawk":4encif1c said:
Yeah, Howard was a HUGE dissapointment. A big dude not making the active roster is odd. You can never have enough big bodies rotating.

Jaye Howard was NOT a "disappointment," never mind a "HUGE" one. He was simply a rookie who was the odd man out in a deep rotation of veteran DT's (Mebane, Branch, McDonald, Jones on passing downs, not to mention Bryant/Scruggs' ability to spin down as DT's if needed) which rendered him inactive for all but two games. There isn't a team in the league that carries 5 DT's on its 45-man active gameday roster. Howard was ostensibly 'redshirting' as a rookie while continuing to grow into his frame, add more functional strength, and learn the nuances of DT play at the NFL level. Howard arrived at Florida as a 230-pound DE and was bounced all around the Gators' D-line during his career. He didn't settle in as a full-time DT until hs senior season, so he is still very raw (and growing) at/into the position while simultaneously acclimating to the step up in play going from the college to pro level. There has been positively nothing that has come from anyone associated with the Seahawks which indicates that the club is in any way "disappointed" with Howard's freshman season with the team, or his future/potential.

sutz

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":1zbv1jk0 said:
pehawk":1zbv1jk0 said:

Jaye Howard was NOT a "disappointment," never mind a "HUGE" one. He was simply a rookie who was the odd man out in a deep rotation of veteran DT's (Mebane, Branch, McDonald, Jones on passing downs, not to mention Bryant/Scruggs' ability to spin down as DT's if needed) which rendered him inactive for all but two games. There isn't a team in the league that carries 5 DT's on its 45-man active gameday roster. Howard was ostensibly 'redshirting' as a rookie while continuing to grow into his frame, add more functional strength, and learn the nuances of DT play at the NFL level. Howard arrived at Florida as a 230-pound DE and was bounced all around the Gators' D-line during his career. He didn't settle in as a full-time DT until hs senior season, so he is still very raw (and growing) at/into the position while simultaneously acclimating to the step up in play going from the college to pro level. There has been positively nothing that has come from anyone associated with the Seahawks which indicates that the club is in any way "disappointed" with Howard's freshman season with the team, or his future/potential.
I mean, where was he drafted? Aaron Curry could be called a "huge disappointment." I'm not sure anybody drafted after the first round should be called that, though. Maybe he is a miss. OK, though I don't think so yet. We need developmental guys in critical positions on the team. Jaye looks like exactly that.

Latest posts