Seahawk Roster Cuts & Other Transactions 8-31-2015

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Didn't really see the LJP cut coming. He looked solid enough as a back up. This means that either Lewis has proven himself to be better than Pete thought he was or the FO is still looking for a Center.

I'm also a bit surprised by the Scruggs cut. I expected King or Dobbs to be cut before him but unlike LJP I didn't see him making the final 53 anyway, so not that big of a deal. To be honest LJP was the only one out of the waived guys that even had a shot at making the roster.

Basis4day

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":31vpacyr said:
Basis4day":31vpacyr said:
2Cool4School":31vpacyr said:
When is lane coming back? any updates on his injury? or is he out for the rest of the season

PUP means in won't be before the 6 weeks of the regular season but wouldn't hold your breath for this season. Torn ACL and an arm broken in half in February is asking a lot.

Techinically, that is the regular season PUP list. These guys are on the preseason PUP list, because they haven't passed a physical yet. Once the regular season starts, they will either need to pass a physical and be placed on the 53 man roster, or they will placed on the regular season PUP which means the earliest they can be activated is after 6 games. There is also a leeway period for the player to start practicing, etc, but ultimately the point is: the decision to put then on the regular season PUP has not happened yet.

Thanks. Yes, i should have clarified. I didn't really worry about the distinction because the official regular season PUP decision is a week away during final cut-downs.

That being said. He still tore an ACL and broke his arm in half in February.

The chances that they'll have him on the active roster day 1 (Even if inactive on game day) is very unlikely considering you get the extra roster spot for the minimum 6 weeks of regular season PUP.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'd not be surprised to see one or two of the younger players cut back at some point on the PS.

bandiger

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1vt866ht said:
I'd not be surprised to see one or two of the younger players cut back at some point on the PS.

I don't know its gonna be hard when Pete says this might be his deepest team yet and then having Jaguars/Falcons/Browns trying to pick up the cast offs, very hard to stash some prospects in the PS now.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Not a big surprise to see Scruggs cut in the first wave. Besides the one sack where the QB stood for 6 seconds inside the pocket he struggled a lot.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Sometimes these early cuts are regarded as chaff and not picked up. I could easily see both Farmer and Greenberry brought back for a stint on the PS.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hollywood_N_Vine":1tyh22gy said:
Do any of these cuts save money for the salary cap?? Or do their replacements equal out the savings....

So many people worry about the cap, it's return on investment, if you have a player that is at his ceiling versus a cheaper player with upside, sure go for cheaper if the relative talent level is equal, but you don't keep cheap over production unless the salary is hurting your production so much that your team declines.

With it's escalation I don't think about it much, the front office is all over this like ants on a picnic lunch.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hollywood_N_Vine":3vs1dd8s said:
Do any of these cuts save money for the salary cap?? Or do their replacements equal out the savings....

Not very much. They saved $665k by cutting Jeanpierre, but replacing him with Lewis on the roster, at a salary of $585k, only nets them $80k. That shows that Lewis has beaten out Jeanpierre in the competition; it was not about the money.

Replacing D'Anthony Smith ($585k) and Greg Scruggs ($685k) with T.Y. McGill ($435k) nets them between $150-$250k.

Overall, the top 53 current salaries and dead money amount to $142.7 million on a $143.28 million cap. But this does not include the practice squad or keeping two additional players on PUP.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/seattle-seahawks/

Releasing Mike Morgan (hamstring) would save $885k, not an unsubstantial number for a rarely used backup. Releasing Anthony McCoy (always hurt) would save $660k. Ricardo Lockette also saves $660k. Will Tukuafu saves $585k.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1smvdv85 said:
hawknation2015":1smvdv85 said:
Hollywood_N_Vine":1smvdv85 said:

Not very much. They saved $665k by cutting Jeanpierre, but replacing him with Lewis on the roster, at a salary of $585k, only nets them $80k. That shows that Lewis has beaten out Jeanpierre in the competition; it was not about the money.

Replacing D'Anthony Smith ($585k) and Greg Scruggs ($685k) with T.Y. McGill ($435k) nets them between $150-$250k.

Overall, the top 53 current salaries and dead money amount to $142.7 million on a $143.28 million cap. But this does not include the practice squad or keeping two additional players on PUP.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/seattle-seahawks/

Releasing Mike Morgan (hamstring) would save $885k, not an unsubstantial number for a rarely used backup. Releasing Anthony McCoy (always hurt) would save $660k. Ricardo Lockette also saves $660k. Will Tukuafu saves $585k.

I thought only the top 51 count against the cap?

In the off-season, yes. I'm projecting what I think the 53-man roster will become, plus practice squad, during the regular season.

kearly

Reaction score
When Tom Cable shows that he likes a guy or doesn't like a guy, it's rare for the results of the preseason or games from the previous years to change it. Back on August 10th, before the first preseason game, Cable indicated that Nowak was leading the center competition. Lewis barely played it seemed like, and when LJP played, he didn't grab any headlines.

Nowak was undrafted in 2012, and after he was cut by the lowly Jaguars in August of 2014, went unsigned by the league and didn't even make a practice squad. With that kind of resume, you'd think Nowak would kill us out there, but he's been serviceable and seems to be just fine as a short term solution. It's a credit to Cable's coaching and Nowak's work ethic.

I don't think Nowak has the athleticism we need in the run game, but he's a smart player and has solid fundamentals in pass protection. I like Lewis better, but as long as we have Lewis and Nowak as the two centers, I'm willing to give Cable the benefit of the doubt on who he chooses to start. I also understand that certain traits in a person (hard worker, good character, smarts) will have profound appeal to coaches and not so much to fans who only see the games.

At the very least, I am relieved that Lewis, for now, appears to be the #2 center. Last year he was better than LJP in real games, and it wasn't close.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":1cip38g0 said:
When Tom Cable shows that he likes a guy or doesn't like a guy, it's rare for the results of the preseason or games from the previous years to change it. Back on August 10th, before the first preseason game, Cable indicated that Nowak was leading the center competition. Lewis barely played it seemed like, and when LJP played, he didn't grab any headlines.

Nowak was undrafted in 2012, and after he was cut by the lowly Jaguars in August of 2014, went unsigned by the league and didn't even make a practice squad. With that kind of resume, you'd think Nowak would kill us out there, but he's been serviceable and seems to be just fine as a short term solution. It's a credit to Cable's coaching and Nowak's work ethic.

I don't think Nowak has the athleticism we need in the run game, but he's a smart player and has solid fundamentals in pass protection. I like Lewis better, but as long as we have Lewis and Nowak as the two centers, I'm willing to give Cable the benefit of the doubt on who he chooses to start. I also understand that certain traits in a person (hard worker, good character, smarts) will have profound appeal to coaches and not so much to fans who only see the games.

At the very least, I am relieved that Lewis, for now, appears to be the #2 center. Last year he was better than LJP in real games, and it wasn't close.

Except, your thesis has proven to be dead wrong. Cable initially preferred the more experienced Jeanpierre at center, hence Jeanpierre started ahead of Lewis last season when Unger was out, started the first preseason game, and played ahead of Lewis in the second and third preseason games. Cable initially wanted to continue developing Britt at RT, hence Britt lost substantial weight this off-season in order to improve his lateral agility. This is what competition is all about. The better player plays. We have seen more players rising up the depth chart along the offensive line than at any other position group.

Also, to continue implying that Nowak is a worse athlete than Lewis is absurd. Nowak is a superior athlete in every conceivable measurable, while Lewis is one of the slowest players on the team.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
Satale signing after Week 1 will allow Nowak the chance to get spun around by the Rams Aaron Donald and the blitzes that the Rams have to try and force turnovers with. If Nowak cannot get any push in the run game and isn't better at Pass protection, I'd rather have Satale to mash people at the line of scrimmage and struggle in pass protection.

It would not surprise me to see a Scruggs back after week 2, there is no reason to risk a potential player in Week 4 of the preseason. These moves are made to avoid playing players that can help you, BUT cannot help you if they are hurt playing against Oakland.....it's essentially a stashing of players like Jean Pierre and Scruggs now, vs exposing them vs the Raiders. Plus I'd like to see more of T.Y McGill and Marsh and Kasen Williams, Kevin Smith vs Norwood....hence Norwood could have helped vs Oakland, but is still young enough with value that you can get what Schneider got for him today, in a conditional 2017 pick.....Ironically, Norwood could clog Carolina's roster of a WR, keeping them away from a Kasen Williams or Kevin Smith, who I think could really help a Cam Newton.

I would even be more surprised to see Gilliam out there for long on Thursday night, but you need a serviceable representative of a roster....Poole will play a ton as will Glowinski and others....

I know these players can find other jobs, but the Week 2 non-guaranteed item is the biggest gold rush of talent....that Monday or Tuesday off day between the Rams and Packers game will be very intriguing.

Alexander

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1lv1sow2 said:
...hence Jeanpierre started ahead of Lewis last season when Unger was out...

The picture is a little more complicated than you're painting. According to NFL.com game logs, the starters at center last year were as follows:

Weeks 1-5: Unger
Weeks 6-8: Schilling
Week 9: Lewis
Week 10: Unger
Week 11: Unger (this is the KC game where Unger went down)
Week 12: Lewis
Week 13: LMJ
Week 14: LMJ
Week 15: LMJ
Week 16: Lewis
Week 17: Lewis
Postseason: Unger

LMJ had an injury early in the year and wasn't on the team initially. He was added in Week 12 after Unger went down. (By then he was healthy.) So Lewis and LMJ split the starts post-Unger, with Lewis taking the first one and last two. It kind of seems like the starter was chosen based on the week's matchup. (Lewis faced ARI twice, LMJ faced SF twice.) Whatever the reason, it's not clear that Cable preferred one or the other overall. I did think it was odd that Patrick Lewis was rarely if ever mentioned as part of the center battle in training camp, but evidently he wasn't doing too badly.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Alexander":2s4h8kez said:
hawknation2015":2s4h8kez said:
...hence Jeanpierre started ahead of Lewis last season when Unger was out...

The picture is a little more complicated than you're painting. According to NFL.com game logs, the starters at center last year were as follows:

Weeks 1-5: Unger
Weeks 6-8: Schilling
Week 9: Lewis
Week 10: Unger
Week 11: Unger (this is the KC game where Unger went down)
Week 12: Lewis
Week 13: LMJ
Week 14: LMJ
Week 15: LMJ
Week 16: Lewis
Week 17: Lewis
Postseason: Unger

LMJ had an injury early in the year and wasn't on the team initially. He was added in Week 12 after Unger went down. (By then he was healthy.) So Lewis and LMJ split the starts post-Unger, with Lewis taking the first one and last two. It kind of seems like the starter was chosen based on the week's matchup. (Lewis faced ARI twice, LMJ faced SF twice.) Whatever the reason, it's not clear that Cable preferred one or the other overall. I did think it was odd that Patrick Lewis was rarely if ever mentioned as part of the center battle in training camp, but evidently he wasn't doing too badly.

That is what I was alluding to . . . Lewis losing his starting position for three games after they signed the injured Jeanpierre.

Lewis was running was running with the 3rd or 4th team throughout OTAs, training camp, and the first three preseason games, behind the better athletes in Nowak, Jeanpierre, and at one point Sokoli. But Lewis continued to shine as a run blocker with the 3rd team and apparently beat out Jeanpierre for the backup role.

HawkMark1976

Reaction score
BBSPlitter said it best:

"Pretty soon we will have so little experience left on the o-line, that all our d-line converts are gonna get confused for a play and turn around and sack RW."

We fans have to keep a good sense of humor about the pre-season because many times it does not reflect how the team will play come game 1 regular season. It very well might take the first month of the season for the O line to gel because management refuses to pay these linemen second, lucrative contracts after playing well during the rookie contracts. If they they only keep the line intact year after year we fans might rest easier...

Russell Wilson had better take more Recovery water with nanobubbles so he can concentrate on the field during games. He needs to drive the team to get FIRST downs and score TDs for the Hawks to return to the playoffs. :lol:

Maybe the Hawks offense has been decoying everyone by playing badly in preseason so we do not know quiet yet how damn good of an well oiled scoring machine they will be in 2015? 8)

hawknation2015

Reaction score
HawkMark1976":1qlq4s2g said:
BBSPlitter said it best:

"Pretty soon we will have so little experience left on the o-line, that all our d-line converts are gonna get confused for a play and turn around and sack RW."

We fans have to keep a good sense of humor about the pre-season because many times it does not reflect how the team will play come game 1 regular season. It very well might take the first month of the season for the O line to gel because management refuses to pay these linemen second, lucrative contracts after playing well during the rookie contracts. If they they only keep the line intact year after year we fans might rest easier...

Russell Wilson had better take more Recovery water with nanobubbles so he can concentrate on the field during games. He needs to drive the team to get FIRST downs and score TDs for the Hawks to return to the playoffs. :lol:

Maybe the Hawks offense has been decoying everyone by playing badly in preseason so we do not know quiet yet how damn good of an well oiled scoring machine they will be in 2015? 8)

One former DL convert, Nowak, has not allowed a single pressure in three preseason games (with two of those coming as a starter against first team defenses).

Meanwhile, Bailey, who has played offensive line for his whole career, has already allowed five pressures.

Latest posts