Seahawks 21st in latest ESPN Power Rankings (Uniforms)

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
The trick to get high on this guys list... just have the most basic uniform possible, then dont change it for decades. It will become classic, and timeless and traditional. You'll be in the Top 10. :roll:

For example:

6. Dallas Cowboys (+1)
I know, I know -- the various shades of blue and silver don't match, the black outlines on the blue sleeve stripes are unnecessary, the blue-silver pants are now a lot more blue than silver. But these quirks have now been around for so long that they've become baked into the Cowboys' brand

But because its so old, lets ranked em #6!! :th2thumbs:

And the most boring uniform in existence....

9. Indianapolis Colts (+4)
From Johnny U to Peyton Manning to Andrew Luck, the Colts' old-school look is tailor-made for a quarterback standing tall in the pocket. Not the league's most dynamic design, and it would be nice if the shoulder stripes could wrap around a bit farther, but still a uniform set that has stood the test of time.

Its boring, bland, and has no design.... but its stood the test of time! Lets rank em #9! :th2thumbs:

Such nonsense. :roll:

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3mddt4qb said:
HawkFan72":3mddt4qb said:
I have seen so many players across the league asked about uniforms in various interviews and a majority list the Seahawks as one of their favorites.

Really? How many players are "so many"?

In my 25 years of watching football I can't recall ever seeing a single player asked this question.

It also seems like it would be pretty weird for an NFL player to be talking about how much he admires a different team's uniform (even if asked this question it seems like one that anyone with any sense would punt on rather than answering).

I don't want to go back and find it, but when our new uniforms were released they interviewed players about what they thought of the new Nike uniforms. Remember a player rep from each team was present to show off their new teams' uniforms. I watched a bunch of the interviews, probably at least 10, and the players would mention how jealous they were of Seattle's look. Some even said they were the best looking uniforms in the league.

I see from comments above that other people on here remember the same thing.

Sorry I didn't keep a tally mark of the exact number of players to appease your skepticism.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3u2253mq said:
Before typing the following let me preface by saying that in my last two posts I said 1) that the Seahawks' team building from 2010-2012 is in my opinion the best in NFL history and 2) that Lynch and Sherman are the two best players in the NFC West. I point these out merely to clarify that the following statement is a matter of opinion and isn't resulting from some weird bias:

I seriously think the Seahawks uniforms are abnormally goofy and ugly. I don't think the 9ers uniforms are that great or anything special, but the Gak green the Seahawks use just befuddles me.

Sorry guys.

Luckily what's done IN the uniforms is what matters. :lol:
I agree totally. I'd love it if they brought back the old silver helmets and the old uniforms from the Knox era, but with the angry hawk helmet of course.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":mmtk9waz said:
Sgt. Largent":mmtk9waz said:
Pretty solid list, and I've said before that time will not be kind to neon green or teal.........and that was the main negative with the writer. Just not a classic look, ask the 90's M's.

The Mariners have had teal accents in their uniforms since 1993, and it is an absolutely timeless uniform. It doesn't feel dated in the least. I'll never understand why suddenly everyone thinks blue and yellow is a better color combo.

Unless you are talking about the teal alt jerseys, in which case, I can understand your point.

This is the one I'm talking about

Hi res 144987456 crop north

Ugly, and screams "HEY IT'S 1994!"

The gray and dark blue tops with the teal accents are fine..........but the Hawks did that with neon green accents. Just not a timeless look IMO. Any uniform that you can look at and say "hey that's 2010" isn't a good thing.

The Hawks color palette is very pleasing, I just don't love the neon. A more subdued green would have looked much better.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Personally, I liked the darker blue and the conservative look of our last uniforms (before these new ones), but the new helmet has grown on me. My first impression of the new uni's was "I don't like it" . I think, like Popeyejones said, that they've grown on me based on what we've done in them.

That said, I can see the nostalgia invoked in the traditional uniforms, but I'd hardly rank them all in the top tier based upon the fact that they're decades old. Being resistant to change shouldn't always be rewarded.

I did like the original Seahawk uni's, but it was time for a change. And I thought our old logo was one of the worst in the NFL; the Hawk on it looked confused and like he maybe just got kicked in the nuts. I like the newer, more aggressive logo we have the best in the entire league.

Tical21

Reaction score
I REALLY hate that green. We have XFL or HBO uniforms. I still think we look like a bad joke.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Nothing could be more subjective, so I don't see much reason to get worked up. Personally I think the Raiders have been and continue to be the best. Silver and Black is unbeatable.

As for the Hawks, parts of the jerseys I love, like the helmets. Parts I really do not like, like the forced green accents like the circle around the collar and the shape of the shoulder stripes. They are middle of the road to me.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":l1azllrv said:
Seahawks1983":l1azllrv said:
Sgt. Largent":l1azllrv said:
Pretty solid list, and I've said before that time will not be kind to neon green or teal.........and that was the main negative with the writer. Just not a classic look, ask the 90's M's.

The Mariners have had teal accents in their uniforms since 1993, and it is an absolutely timeless uniform. It doesn't feel dated in the least. I'll never understand why suddenly everyone thinks blue and yellow is a better color combo.

Unless you are talking about the teal alt jerseys, in which case, I can understand your point.

This is the one I'm talking about

Hi res 144987456 crop north

Ugly, and screams "HEY IT'S 1994!"

The gray and dark blue tops with the teal accents are fine..........but the Hawks did that with neon green accents. Just not a timeless look IMO. Any uniform that you can look at and say "hey that's 2010" isn't a good thing.

The Hawks color palette is very pleasing, I just don't love the neon. A more subdued green would have looked much better.

Personally, I like those, but I get why they are disliked.

Lately though it seems like everyone wants to ditch the navy M's scheme all together though and go back to the blue and gold, which is insane to me. That color combo is tied to the failed Pilots and years of historically bad Mariners baseball.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1xknnpmc said:
Popeyejones":1xknnpmc said:
Before typing the following let me preface by saying that in my last two posts I said 1) that the Seahawks' team building from 2010-2012 is in my opinion the best in NFL history and 2) that Lynch and Sherman are the two best players in the NFC West. I point these out merely to clarify that the following statement is a matter of opinion and isn't resulting from some weird bias:

I seriously think the Seahawks uniforms are abnormally goofy and ugly. I don't think the 9ers uniforms are that great or anything special, but the Gak green the Seahawks use just befuddles me.

Sorry guys.

Luckily what's done IN the uniforms is what matters. :lol:
I agree totally. I'd love it if they brought back the old silver helmets and the old uniforms from the Knox era, but with the angry hawk helmet of course.

Old colors with the angry Hawk head would be a dream come true.

I would even be ok with a darker shade of blue for the jersey than the old royal, so long as it was a silver helmet and silver pants.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
I love them and I've always hated navy blue (Utah/BYU rivalry) I absolutely loooove the wolf grey alt uni's simply because grey is my favorite color. I would like to see them do a throwback as their alt jerseys one day. But yeah, I think they're slick.

Infamous425

Reaction score
Having been to the NFL Shop in NYC I heard many positive comments about the seahawks jersey

Maulbert

Reaction score
I would really like to see the grey pants with blue jerseys at home. I love that look, and it calls back to our classic unis. The 3 changes I would make on the uniform if I could would be to fill the feathering on the grey uniforms with green, change the lower stripe on the logo to green, and change to a grey helmet (but keep the blue feathered stripe that tapers down the center).

Something like this:

Attachments

• idea3.png
    idea3.png
    15 KB · Views: 1,236

Cyrus12

Reaction score
a hawk emblem instead of the nike swoosh on the sleeve would be a big improvement...this is not the Seattle Nike's after all...

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Maulbert":2jl00kcv said:
I would really like to see the grey pants with blue jerseys at home. I love that look, and it calls back to our classic unis. The 3 changes I would make on the uniform if I could would be to fill the feathering on the grey uniforms with green, change the lower stripe on the logo to green, and change to a grey helmet (but keep the blue feathered stripe that tapers down the center).

Something like this:
Very nice. I think even the silver helmet would work with this. I don't know why we're discussing all this because I don't know of any plans to make changes. But, I think the Home all blues is my least favorite. I like the White Jersey / Blue Pant combo the best, I think. It brings out the dark blue of the helmets. If they could wear home silver and away blue helmets, that would be sweet. But, the NFL shot something like that down already, correct? I don't know why, but apparently they did. Whatever... just dominate and win Super Bowls.

Oh, when I was in Seattle for the Vikings game a couple of years ago, Vikings fans in the Pro Shop were commenting to me that the Seahawks had the BEST uniforms in the league. I was sort of surprised and asked if they were putting me on. They were being sincere.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I like our new home uniforms, although I wish we'd change up the pants at home every once in awhile. We're always in all blue. I like a contrast in colors on my HDTV. I also like our road white jerseys on blue pants and our wolf grey, but I don't like the road kill whites and always wished we'd gone back to silver pants for our road unis.

Our lime green jerseys were the worst uniforms ever, at least since Tampa Bay's original orange uniforms that were straight out of a 70's discotheque and featuring a gay pirate on the helmet. I also never liked our original emblem, the stoned seagull. Someone once told me that it was in honor of the top part of a native American totem pole, but I didn't care, I thought it looked silly for a football team. It was worse than Stanford's tree.

But none of the uniforms are worse than the majority of what the University of Oregon wears.

Sterlinghawk

Reaction score
I like our new ones best, I like the green and I think the old green jerseys were only ugly because of the blue sleeve. A new solid green jersey would be an awsome alternative uni.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
hawks uniforms are the best.

I wasn't sold when I first saw them, which is surprising because I'm usually all in favor of change and don't fear it, but when i first saw them I didn't know what to think.

Then when I saw them in person, on the field..they look great. They look fast.

However it also doesn't hurt that since putting on the new uniforms the Seahawks are 42-14 with a 6-2 playoff record, two NFC Championships, and a lombardi trophy. Success has a lot to do with looking good.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Hawknballs":3bqjinnn said:
hawks uniforms are the best.

I wasn't sold when I first saw them, which is surprising because I'm usually all in favor of change and don't fear it, but when i first saw them I didn't know what to think.

Then when I saw them in person, on the field..they look great. They look fast.

However it also doesn't hurt that since putting on the new uniforms the Seahawks are 42-14 with a 6-2 playoff record, two NFC Championships, and a lombardi trophy. Success has a lot to do with looking good.

I wasn't a big fan until I saw them on the field too. They really do look better in action rather than a picture of one in a showroom.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
bigtrain21":aienwoqq said:
Popeyejones":aienwoqq said:
Really? How many players are "so many"?

In my 25 years of watching football I can't recall ever seeing a single player asked this question.

It also seems like it would be pretty weird for an NFL player to be talking about how much he admires a different team's uniform (even if asked this question it seems like one that anyone with any sense would punt on rather than answering).

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2012/04/03 ... rs-longing

Thanks for the link.

It all being players at the same event where the unifrom was unveiled and coming from an artice from the Seahawks org itself makes a TON of more sense than they way Hawkfan72 recalled it, which was kind of a head scratcher for me.

:th2thumbs: