Seahawks and Panthers in bidding war for Baker, EDIT: Panthers Outbid Hawks

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Looks like my sources were correct, there was a bidding war. Panthers came in and outbid us at the last moment. From what I know Hawks only wanted to Pay Baker about $3m and the Panthers offered to take more of the salary. Good to know I called this one.
This guy. I swear. 🤦‍♂️

Mix

Reaction score
Looks like I called this one. I was advising everyone there was a bidding war and the Seahawks were gunning for him. The Panthers really had to up the ante to outbid us and have to pay that much. Oh well.

Welshers said:

I'll happily apologize if I'm wrong, though I fully expect you to dissappear from .NET for a while when the Mayfield news comes out.

You should be happily apologizing, as Mayfield is not on the Seahawks.

Not trying to prove how you were wrong but still right.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Looks like I called this one. I was advising everyone there was a bidding war and the Seahawks were gunning for him. The Panthers really had to up the ante to outbid us and have to pay that much. Oh well.

Wait... now I want to change my answer again. Now I think he's doing over-the-top parody again. You had me going for a while there, @Welshers, but now I'm back to thinking you're joking.

OP
OP
W

Welshers

Wait... now I want to change my answer again. Now I think he's doing over-the-top parody again. You had me going for a while there, @Welshers, but now I'm back to thinking you're joking.
You should be happily apologizing, as Mayfield is not on the Seahawks.

Not trying to prove how you were wrong but still right.
Go back and read the title of the thread guys. I said there was a bidding war and all along I said the only snag would be if the Panthers grabbed him. Looks like everything I said was correct. A big W for me and my sources.

Rat

Reaction score
Go back and read the title of the thread guys. I said there was a bidding war and all along I said the only snag would be if the Panthers grabbed him. Looks like everything I said was correct. A big W for me and my sources.
Absolutely nothing has come out saying there was a "bidding war".

Lagartixa

Reaction score
The result of the "bidding war" was Mayfield taking a big pay cut and the Browns getting a single draft pick in the fourth or fifth round of 2024, roughly equivalent to a fifth-round or sixth-round pick in next year's draft. Plus the Browns have to pay Mayfield $10.5M to play for some other team. For a player who had $18.9M guaranteed this year, that looks like a resounding "not interested" from the league as a whole, including the Seahawks.

I actually have to wonder if the Panthers already have the same kind of buyer's remorse people have after waking up to the results of a night of drunk e-commerce purchases. I'm imagining something like...
Panthers GM, to intern:"Yeah, tell the Browns we'll get that piece of crap out of their hair if they can find a way for us to pay no more than $4.858M and we don't give up anything more valuable than a day-three draft pick. That oughta shut 'em up!"
Intern: "Sir, they've accepted our terms."
GM: "Oh, $#!+! They're even more desperate than I thought!"

If I actually believed @Welshers weren't parodying Mayfield fans (or something - I have to admit at least some, and possibly all, of the humor is whooshing harmlessly over my head), I'd say he oughta be pretty pi$$ed off at his sources and I'd probably make a suggestion to the effect of those sources being voices in his head. But since I do think he's doing some kind of parody thing, even if I don't really "get" the humor, I can't really say much.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Where does that “big W” put you in the standings? Will you have enough Ws to make the message board playoffs or is this a rebuilding year for you and your sources? 🙄

Allweatherfan

Reaction score
Credibility absolutely shot. Just ask Duncan, DuncansDad, Traumahawk how that works out.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I just saw some monkeys fly out of my butt a few minutes ago, so I know my sources were correct. At least I think they were monkeys..

rjdriver

Reaction score
So is Baker just leaving 3.5 million on the table? Money he could be making to chill and play Madden at home injury free if he were just released ?

Hell, I would have waited until the Browns caved for even more of the guarantee or some other league QB gets hurt mid season and is willing to pick up the remainder of the full contract.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Looks like my sources were correct, there was a bidding war. Panthers came in and outbid us at the last moment. From what I know Hawks only wanted to Pay Baker about $3m and the Panthers offered to take more of the salary. Good to know I called this one.
Don't sprain your shoulder patting yourself on the back my friend. It appears you were as suspected just wrong.

Never truly believed any deal between the Hawks and the Browns for Mayfield would ever happen, sources or not the deal was never close or impending or truly likely to happen and your 'sources' were wrong.

It's time to move on and we can forever cease talking about Mayfield.

Last edited:

sdog1981

Reaction score
Can an account be put in time out? Like they really needs to be banned from posting until week 1 of the regular season. Some people clearly can't handle the offseason.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Agent Zero..You in denial!