Seahawks and Panthers in bidding war for Baker, EDIT: Panthers Outbid Hawks

Mizak

Reaction score
We can trade for Sam Darnold right, since Panthers don’t need him anymore?

James in PA

Reaction score
Let the Sam Darnold to Seattle speculation begin!!!!!!!

jammerhawk

Reaction score

fullquartpress

Reaction score
I would have liked Baker. The front office better be right about Lock. Even if he's bad, the rest of the team is good enough where I doubt we'll have a top 3 draft pick. And we would need the Broncos to be bad too to have a realistic chance of trading into there.
If we have a 2023 top 3 pick, please name him now.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Everyone just wait. This deal will get done. I have sources other than Twitter but I have to keep them confidential. Trust me baker is coming
I expect you and all my other doubters to appologize to me when Baker starts for the Seahawks week 1.
That was clearly sarcasm, I guess it went a little over everyone's head. My sources claim the most likely deal is the Browns eat 3/4th of Baker's salary and we give up a sixth. The compensation package is still being ironed out. The only thing that is certain is that Baker will be a Seahawk. They've agreed in principle (my sources say).
PFT is not a reliable source. You can trust I have superior sources from inside the organization (living in Seattle) then some reporters from LA.
I'll happily apologize if I'm wrong, though I fully expect you to dissappear from .NET for a while when the Mayfield news comes out.
It's definetly close to being done. The money is the only issue. I imagine the Seahawks are leaking they are no longer interested to put pressure on the browns
Semantics. They are putting this out there intentionally. They said the same thing about Wilson.

You all did this exact same thing before Wilson was traded. Gaslighting anyone who said he might be his way out. "It's just rumors..", "it's fake news.." "Pete said they want him to stay" yeah Pete said so until the day he was traded. Stop being so gullible.

Who's gullible?

👀

Ruminator

Reaction score
Well, maybe the Seahawks really were trying to bring him to the Northwest, but just got cut off by the cats. I know some thought he would be a decent addition and maybe even kick-ass, but I was concerned and just didn't have good vibes about it.

acctingman

Reaction score
You all know the OP was just doing this for attention. Yes, and here I am too :)

NY Hawk

Reaction score
Thank God The Seahawks didn't get him. They don't need to trade for a QB, just go with what you have. This team will not make the playoffs this year anyway, so wait until next year and draft a QB.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Well, maybe the Seahawks really were trying to bring him to the Northwest, but just got cut off by the cats. I know some thought he would be a decent addition and maybe even kick-ass, but I was concerned and just didn't have good vibes about it.

The final results of the "bidding war:" the Browns pay $10.5M, the Panthers pay $4.85M, and Mayfield gives up the rest of his $18.9M salary. The Browns get a 2024 fourth-round or fifth-round pick. In other words, the lack of interest in Mayfield around the league was so strong that nobody was willing to pay even 10% of top-QB money to take him off the Browns' hands.
NFL-team front offices were so uninterested in Mayfield that he had to take a pay cut.

This confirms what I already suspected: Mayfield not coming to the Seahawks is a good thing for us Seahawks fans.

OP
OP
W

Welshers

Looks like my sources were correct, there was a bidding war. Panthers came in and outbid us at the last moment. From what I know Hawks only wanted to Pay Baker about $3m and the Panthers offered to take more of the salary. Good to know I called this one.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Well, well, well... What is everyone going to say when the deal becomes public?

Indeed. 👂

EDITED to add: Holy crap... while I was posting the part of this comment above, Welshers showed up and tried to act like he had "called this one" when he really couldn't look more wrong.
The Browns couldn't get anyone to give up more than a 2024 fourth-round or fifth-round pick (roughly equivalent in value to a fifth-round or sixth-round pick in next year's draft), nor to pick up even 10% of top-QB money (or, if you prefer it in these terms, even 25% of Mayfield's salary for this year). And when the Browns reached their limit of how much they were willing to pay Mayfield to play elsewhere, and the Panthers were unwilling to pay more than $4.85M, Mayfield had to take a pay cut. League front offices have spoken clearly, and they agree with the position that I and others here have taken: Mayfield is not a good NFL QB.

Last edited: