Seahawks and Panthers in bidding war for Baker, EDIT: Panthers Outbid Hawks

Rainger

Reaction score
Lol so the Browns won "THE BIDDING WAR" with a conditional 5th round pick. Shows how much the Hawks wanted him notwithstanding Welshers sources.

Rainger

Reaction score
Go back and read the title of the thread guys. I said there was a bidding war and all along I said the only snag would be if the Panthers grabbed him. Looks like everything I said was correct. A big W for me and my sources.
Wellllll NO. You also had another thread saying the deal to come to the Hawks was almost done and said confidently he would be a Hawk. Doest look like a 5th and Cleveland eating most of his salary was a bidding war no matter how you spin it.

chrispy

Reaction score
This isn't really related to the thread title, but I couldn't stand to start another Baker Mayfield thread....

Baker was drafted #1 overall in 2018 and Darnold was drafted #3 in the same draft (Jets). Can anyone think of this ever happening before? ... 2 top 3, or even top 5, overall picks in the same draft on the same team? It's probably happened, but maybe not on their first contract. Dunno, I can't think of it though. Anyone?

Also, I saw on CBS twitter that Carolina now has the #1 and #2 QBs ranked in at least one official category: INTs since 2018.

Edit:. Just read an article that said Plunkett and Pastorini in 1980.

Last edited:

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
Go back and read the title of the thread guys. I said there was a bidding war and all along I said the only snag would be if the Panthers grabbed him. Looks like everything I said was correct. A big W for me and my sources.
What exactly did you and your sources win?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Lol so the Browns won "THE BIDDING WAR" with a conditional 5th round pick. Shows how much the Hawks wanted him notwithstanding Welshers sources.
To be fair, the Hawks did offer two entire, three piece Ezell's Chicken dinners, tickets to Chaka Khan, and a nice tour of the Space Needle. I thought it was a solid bid, but my sources tell me that the Browns were miffed that airfare wasn't part of the offer, so went with the Carolina bid instead.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
So is Baker just leaving 3.5 million on the table? Money he could be making to chill and play Madden at home injury free if he were just released ?

Hell, I would have waited until the Browns caved for even more of the guarantee or some other league QB gets hurt mid season and is willing to pick up the remainder of the full contract.
The rest can be made up through incentives. Baker believing in himself, I guess + just doing his part to get it over with.
Perhaps also shows us the Seahawks weren't as interested as mediots were projecting.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
The rest can be made up through incentives. Baker believing in himself, I guess + just doing his part to get it over with.
Perhaps also shows us the Seahawks weren't as interested as mediots were projecting.
And, just maybe, it shows Coach Pete was telling it straight the whole time.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Looks like I called this one. I was advising everyone there was a bidding war and the Seahawks were gunning for him. The Panthers really had to up the ante to outbid us and have to pay that much. Oh well.
There was never a bidding war. Eat your crow if you have any self dignity left.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Rappaport was wrong on that one. Likely damage control leaked by the organization after they realized Carolina was going to win the bidding war. I predicted all of this.
You predicted it or you had sources? Which one is it because it can't be both?

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Wellllll NO. You also had another thread saying the deal to come to the Hawks was almost done and said confidently he would be a Hawk. Doest look like a 5th and Cleveland eating most of his salary was a bidding war no matter how you spin it.
And don't forget that for even that weak-sauce deal to happen, Mayfield had to take a pay cut, because even the QB-desperate Panthers weren't willing to pay Mayfield more than $4.85M (or less than 10% of top-QB money), and the Browns weren't willing to pay him more than $10.5M to go away and play for some other team.

Oh, and the fifth-round pick (which could become a fourth-rounder depending on the results of the season) is in 2024, so roughly equivalent to a sixth-round (or fifth-round) pick in next year's draft.

NFL front offices appear to be pretty much unanimous in thinking Mayfield is not a good QB.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
And don't forget that for even that weak-sauce deal to happen, Mayfield had to take a pay cut, because even the QB-desperate Panthers weren't willing to pay Mayfield more than $4.85M (or less than 10% of top-QB money), and the Browns weren't willing to pay him more than $10.5M to go away and play for some other team.

Oh, and the fifth-round pick (which could become a fourth-rounder depending on the results of the season) is in 2024, so roughly equivalent to a sixth-round (or fifth-round) pick in next year's draft.

NFL front offices appear to be pretty much unanimous in thinking Mayfield is not a good QB.
Not a Baker fan (except for his commercials), but the value is also impacted due to it being a one year rental.

If he has a good year, odds are you‘d have to get into a real bidding war or franchise to retain.

chrispy

Reaction score
My daughter said last night, "A bidding war...??? ... like who gets the last brussel sprout or the Kardashian sisters warring over who takes Napoleon Dynamite to bed."

She likes Baker but it was poignant enough I thought I'd share. I guess Carolina is Kourtney and has plenty of fiber ....