Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We have a good % of RZ conversions.

But we aren't getting to the RZ enough for it to matter, but for against the Rams.
One good game in 5 for the offense isn't going to cut it either.

adeltaY

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1ls8g9nb said:
We have a good % of RZ conversions.

But we aren't getting to the RZ enough for it to matter, but for against the Rams.
One good game in 5 for the offense isn't going to cut it either.

This is also a good point. Gotta get more RZ possessions.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Some of that is the 'explosive plays'. But the cost of that, is we are one of the worst teams in the league at 3 and outs for the offense.

So that RZ % might be coming at a tremendous cost. I like they fixed it.

But everything else about this offense is broken if a giant % of your drives are just punts and a good % of those are 3 and outs.

adeltaY

Reaction score
The run game and PA have shown to work.

Our straight dropback passing game is abysmal, however.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
See? Everyone wans to be first on the bandwagon. Not the 'winner' bandwagon, the 'fire Schotty' bandwagon. At least I waited most of a season before starting to complain about bevel back in the day, I wasn't vocally all over him from the very start. At least as far as I remember.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That is because Schotty has a defined track record.

If you expect different results, well that is on you.

Gentle reminder:
Teams don't generally go to the playoffs with a 'pretty good' defense and a 'not terrible' offense.

You need to at least be good at something. So not being awful isn't really that great an accomplishment. That said, the offense has been awful - even when you include the one good game of offense against the Rams.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3o0x05oo said:
Wait, I thought Schottenheimer was already indicted by most of .NET prior to the start of the preseason? I'm confused.
Yup, Schotty is Potty. :lol:

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3klon3sz said:
That is because Schotty has a defined track record.

If you expect different results, well that is on you.

Gentle reminder:
Teams don't generally go to the playoffs with a 'pretty good' defense and a 'not terrible' offense.

You need to at least be good at something. So not being awful isn't really that great an accomplishment. That said, the offense has been awful - even when you include the one good game of offense against the Rams.

He took a Jets offense to two-consecutive AFC Championship Games. A Jets team that had Mark Sanchez at QB.

I think the offense is starting to build a track record of being very good at running the ball, as we have seen over the last three weeks. They have also been amazing at play action passing. Russell Wilson has a 100+ QB rating, once again. They don’t turn the ball over. They’re physical at the point of attack. And their red zone offense has been dominant.

Things are starting to come together. Wilson is starting to play like Wilson. And the pieces around him are falling into place around him.

They’re not a finished product yet. But things are looking up from where they were in those first two weeks under a new coordinator.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
GeekHawk":2zbmmvpk said:
See? Everyone wans to be first on the bandwagon. Not the 'winner' bandwagon, the 'fire Schotty' bandwagon. At least I waited most of a season before starting to complain about bevel back in the day, I wasn't vocally all over him from the very start. At least as far as I remember.

:bow: :baityes:

Chapow

Reaction score
getnasty":1rmt1rus said:
Plus hate to be a downer but we are still in the bottom half of the league in points per game.

And last year we were 11th in the league in points per game and this site was overrun with posts ranting about how awful our offense was and fire everyone. And yes, obviously there were problems, but at the end of the day we were the 11th highest scoring offense in the league and everyone was acting like we were the worst by far.

Also, even though we are 17th in the league in ppg right now, we are actually averaging more ppg than we were last season when we were 11th.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Chapow":27oban7y said:
getnasty":27oban7y said:
Plus hate to be a downer but we are still in the bottom half of the league in points per game.

And last year we were 11th in the league in points per game and this site was overrun with posts ranting about how awful our offense was and fire everyone. And yes, obviously there were problems, but at the end of the day we were the 11th highest scoring offense in the league and everyone was acting like we were the worst by far.

Also, even though we are 17th in the league in ppg right now, we are actually averaging more ppg than we were last season when we were 11th.

Even after what was a slow start — nay, an atrocity of offensive football — in the first two games of the season, they are averaging more points per game than they did last season with a healthy Doug Baldwin, Jimmy Graham, Paul Richardson, and Russell Wilson setting an NFL record for 4th quarter production and leading the league in passing TDs and total yards.

They are starting to do things with the run game and play action passing that they haven’t done since Marshawn Lynch was in his prime. But even then, there was not this level of commitment to the running game. If the trend continues, they should be a Top 4 rushing offense and with a QB with a 100+ rating.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
getnasty":1owgqbqo said:
Ad Hawk":1owgqbqo said:
RolandDeschain":1owgqbqo said:
Wait, I thought Schottenheimer was already indicted by most of .NET prior to the start of the preseason? I'm confused.

People who were willing to give him a chance probably mostly kept quiet. The negative shouting-down was difficult to dialogue with.

I doubt there's much of a bandwagon yet.

Anyone who was even slightly optamstic about BS had no knowledge or his past where he has failed numerous times. I thought last game was a good one for him but let's not act like the previous 4 were any good. Hopefully the lines continues to improve, we stick to our identity and BS is closer to the guy that called the Rams game and not the Cardinals one.
We're Leaps & Bounds BETTER that we were Last Season under the Cable - Bevell combo.
Schottenheimer can only be as good as the players/tools that he has to work with.
Bevell was tied to, & got raked over the coals for trying to make Cable's screwed up Offensive Line not look so inept.
I don't think that ANYONE was under the illusion that the Seahawks were going to come out of the chute and instantly become top of the League in scoring.
One thing I do know, we eked out an ugly win in AZ, only to have folks piss & moan about it, and we lose a tight shootout with one of the Leagues best teams, and we're still having to put up with the same OLD pissing & moaning.

Chapow

Reaction score
When was the last time someone posted something positive about this team and we didn't have people hijacking the thread with essentially "So? WHAT ABOUT THIS NEGATIVE THING? WE MUST FOCUS ON THE NEGATIVES AND IGNORE THE POSITIVES!"

I thought red zone scoring was like the most important thing in football or something with how much attention it got last season when we were not good at it. Every time someone would point out that we were actually top half of the league in scoring it was always, "So? Red zone scoring is abysmal!". Now it's "Hey look, we're #1 in the league in red zone scoring!" and the response is "So? We're still bad at these other things!".

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Red Zone Scoring % is a KPI.

It is an indicator.

What matters is scoring more points than the other team.

If it gets you hot and bothered to see we are doing a great job once we get in the RZ but we barely get there? Sure, whatever.

But we don't have our old defense so we better score some points. Unless you like being 7-9 but having an OMG RZ % for the few times we actually make it there.

Right now, we have a trend of 1 game where the offense did not completely suck. So until they do it for 3 games it probably does not matter until they do. No matter how many excuses people make for a crappy OC that had years of crappy offenses with plenty of apparently 'good' excuses as to why.

It does not change the reality that we have an OC with a track record of mediocre to terrible offenses (for a variety of reasons) and after apparently 1 game of not being terrible, but still not being able to muster a successful offense at the end of the game for a final drive we actually needed - people want hosannas heaped on our OC.

We had to improve our RZ %. We did. By apparently not getting in the RZ much and getting even worse on 3 and outs than before. Yay?

And last year we were #1 on 4th quarter scoring drive effectiveness. Want to guess what we are now?

Improving one thing and getting worse at something just as important is not improving. But it MIGHT be a sign they are getting their ish together so we will see what the next 3 games hold.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3sfvxew2 said:
Red Zone Scoring % is a KPI.

It is an indicator.

What matters is scoring more points than the other team.

If it gets you hot and bothered to see we are doing a great job once we get in the RZ but we barely get there? Sure, whatever.

But we don't have our old defense so we better score some points. Unless you like being 7-9 but having an OMG RZ % for the few times we actually make it there.

Right now, we have a trend of 1 game where the offense did not completely suck. So until they do it for 3 games it probably does not matter until they do. No matter how many excuses people make for a crappy OC that had years of crappy offenses with plenty of apparently 'good' excuses as to why.

It does not change the reality that we have an OC with a track record of mediocre to terrible offenses (for a variety of reasons) and after apparently 1 game of not being terrible, but still not being able to muster a successful offense at the end of the game for a final drive we actually needed - people want hosannas heaped on our OC.

We had to improve our RZ %. We did. By apparently not getting in the RZ much and getting even worse on 3 and outs than before. Yay?

And last year we were #1 on 4th quarter scoring drive effectiveness. Want to guess what we are now?

Improving one thing and getting worse at something just as important is not improving. But it MIGHT be a sign they are getting their ish together so we will see what the next 3 games hold.

Are three-and-outs statistically worse in the five games this season than they were in 2017? That seems to be your claim. Do you have a link for that? I’m not seeing that stat on teamrankings.com. It would be interesting to evaluate if true.

There were a bunch in the win over the Cowboys. Two against Arizona. One against the Rams.

Every time a major issue like that has arisen, it seems to be corrected in short order. Abandoned running game? They respond with three-straight games of dedicated running plays and 100-yard rushers. 3 and outs a problem? Those steadily decline in the following weeks. Lack of usage of play action? A majority of the passing plays utilized action against the Rams with tremendous success. Without acknowledging the offensive improvement, you risk missing the forest for the trees.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Are 3 and outs statistically worse?

Not tremendously. But we sure are not improving.

We were 29th last year, now we are 30th. So statistically? No, the sample size is too low. We still have a full year to go but we have a number of very good teams to contend with shortly. But given the schedule? Unless things change, it will not get better - our opponents get much better after this 3 game stretch (not counting the 49ers).

It sure isn't improving. Which is a problem if you don't have a lights out defense. Especially because I do not believe that our defense is going to continue getting all these turnovers that are currently bailing them out more than any of us expected.

We are five games in. The offense looks bad. We had one good game of offense against a team that had a weakness that perfectly correlated to an area we want to emphasize. Can we keep that up?

Is the last game a trend, improvement or outlier? Nobody knows. But for all this supposed 'improvement' they couldn't make it work when they absolutely had to have it - in the 4th quarter. So what good is it?

If you want to run the ball and play defense to keep it close, you need a damned offense that can take the lead when it is close.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":7669vpgb said:
Are 3 and outs statistically worse?

Not tremendously. But we sure are not improving.

We were 29th last year, now we are 30th. So statistically? No, the sample size is too low. We still have a full year to go but we have a number of very good teams to contend with shortly. But given the schedule? Unless things change, it will not get better - our opponents get much better after this 3 game stretch (not counting the 49ers).

It sure isn't improving. Which is a problem if you don't have a lights out defense. Especially because I do not believe that our defense is going to continue getting all these turnovers that are currently bailing them out more than any of us expected.

We are five games in. The offense looks bad. We had one good game of offense against a team that had a weakness that perfectly correlated to an area we want to emphasize. Can we keep that up?

Is the last game a trend, improvement or outlier? Nobody knows. But for all this supposed 'improvement' they couldn't make it work when they absolutely had to have it - in the 4th quarter. So what good is it?

If you want to run the ball and play defense to keep it close, you need a damned offense that can take the lead when it is close.

According to FO’s DVOA (an imperfect metric, but it’s a time saver), the Seahawks have played the 4th hardest schedule in the NFL in these first five games (three on the road). Their remaining schedule is ranked 20th.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa- ... oa-ratings

Scorpion05

Reaction score
My only current concern with Schotty's offense is how we play on the road. At this point, it's pretty clear that we play MUCH MUCH better at home. Which may speak to the complexity of the offense.

I will say this. I think, and this may be why Pete hired Schotty...that because he's so good at calling run plays things are looking up. The idea was probably that if we can establish a strong run game, the same run game Schotty established with the Jets....Russell Wilson will carve teams up. Wilson is the best QB Schotty has ever had, and that makes a difference even if Schotty isn't able to fully maximize Wilson's strengths

Despite how well we're running the ball, defenses are NOT giving us 8-9 man boxes because they would rather worry about Wilson beating them over Carson/Davis beating them. That's great news for Carson/Davis and the running success should continue. Plus, a running game always travels, and will be key for November, December, and January games.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
DVOA
#31 Detroit (21 O, 30 D) —AWAY GAME
#30 Arizona (31 O, 8 D) —HOME GAME
#29 SF (27 O, 21 D) —HOME & AWAY
#26 Oakland (13 O, 29 D) —NEUTRAL SITE
#24 Minnesota (15 O, 26 D) —HOME GAME
+ 3 more home games against Green Bay (#13), LA Chargers (#5), and KC (#3).

There are also two more away games at Carolina (#12) and the Rams.

It won’t be easy, but nine wins does not look improbable.

Eight wins are at least likely, though the Vikings game at home poses more of a challenge than DVOA suggests.