Seahawks closing in on 3 year extension for Britt

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
chris98251":2k5jtxdr said:
Okung just swallowed his Mouth Guard.

Seahawks offered Okung more real money than the Broncos did last year, but the Broncos packaged their deal to "look better"...so Okung took it. He wanted it to look like he signed a monster deal since he was his own agent and the average person doesn't look at the contract details.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3t257o9k said:
DJrmb":3t257o9k said:
I feel Seattle has been true to their philosophy from the beginning. Pay those that deserve to get paid. It just so happens we haven't really had guys on the O-line worth what they got paid previously.

Yeah but the bigger picture question is why isn't our FO and coaching staff drafting and developing lineman that deserve to get paid?

Britt news is great.........but too many Sweazy's, Okungs, Carps and Moffits where we spent draft capital and failed developing into a lineman that warranted a 2nd contract.

Or got offered the amount from the Seahawks that they thought they were worth.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I like it.

Britt is the first o-lineman drafted by PC/JS that earned a 2nd contract.

Seymour

Reaction score
Seems a bit high with just 1 year of real success....but if that is what it takes (likely is)...get er done! :2thumbs:

AgentDib

Reaction score
Compensatory picks are a vital part of the equation due to the way things work currently. Resigning a player and signing a FA both carry the opportunity cost of a lost compensatory pick. We could have felt comfortable paying Sweezy exactly what he got from the Bucs and the right move would still have been to let him walk and collect the extra 2017 3rd round pick his loss contributed towards. The size of the contract they gave him just made that decision easier but he is probably the lineman that they would have liked to keep the most.

I also think you have to look at the situation around each player separately. Okung's decision to act as his own agent likely sunk any chance at resigning him given his injury history. Carpenter and Unger had both missed extensive time due to injuries while they were here. Giacomini was a personal foul magnet. Moffitt lost his drive, and I don't think anybody was arguing for extensions for guys like Schilling, Lem, Lewis, Bailey and Gilliam. We've also chased at least two OL in free agency that went elsewhere, most notably TJ Lang.

Those outcomes are perfectly reasonable for a team trying to spend it's money wisely and extend key players at a reasonable price. I don't agree that it's indicative of a team that is trying to go cheap at offensive line and I don't see a Britt resigning as a change in strategy.

HawkerD

Reaction score
iigakusei":20mpzg1b said:
I will wait to see the full details - but more than 9 million per year? Seems like an overpay. Glad we locked him up though.

At the end of 2018 season it will look like a bargin

Status
Not open for further replies.