Seahawks GM: A team tried to trade for Rashaad Penny

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Why would you assume that there is a need to make you feel better about the pick? Why would he care?

I mean listen to yourselves...how is that not anything but ridiculous?

naholmes

Reaction score
I posted last night that we have heard this type of claim before, I think after the Frank Clark pick which also received a ton of criticism.

olyfan63

Reaction score
This seems reasonably plausible, but why should we care? It would have to be an offer that would, in Boz-speak, knock us on our butt. Whatever lame offer clearly didn't. NE sounds like the most likely interested party, as others noted.

Penny looks to be the best NFL back, as a part of the Seahawks, out of all the ones on the board, even over Saquon. Simply a great fit here. It's that yards after contact stat, plus his health and absence of knee injuries, plus coachability and attitude, plus, plus, many more things, that will help him excel here.
With his vision, willingness to run inside, and ability to bounce to where the opening is, I have this feeling he *might* actually make the Seahawks O-Line actually look "good", OK, "average" would do, and generate that feeling in the O-Line, TEs, other backs, and WRs, that guys got when blocking for Lynch, that chemistry, of determining to hold blocks a little longer, make a little extra effort, because of who's running behind them.

On top of that, I'm truly hoping for a consistent approach to blocking technique that fits with OC playcalls. Solari teaching technique compatible with playcalls as well as within the physical abilities and skill sets of the O-Line talent certainly won't hurt.

I wouldn't be surprised if his rookie season gives us flashbacks of Curt Warner. The one that starts with a "C".

Other guys have assorted question marks or things that don't make them feel like as much of a fit in Seattle. Saquon? 0.5 yards after contact? WTF? Are we talking about Shaun Alexander after he got paid? Sony Michel, NE pick at 32? He looks like a Penny clone, except with the fumble-itis and potentially bad knees. No thank you. Let's keep the original and enjoy watching him do his thing in Seattle.

toffee

Reaction score
DJrmb":29l8xves said:
Sgt. Largent":29l8xves said:
toffee":29l8xves said:
Sgt. Largent":29l8xves said:
I kinda felt this way too.

Both John and Pete give us the "we've liked this guy for a long time, we were willing to trade up to get him blah blah blah" song and dance after each pick.

Which is fine, the team is suppose to pimp their pick and make him feel good starting out his career here.

But do I put much stock in these rumors or reports floated after the fact? Nope.
so John was lying with his eyes wide open?

Does he usually lie with his eyes closed? I'm confused.

Lying? No. Maybe embellishing a little to pump up his pick and make everyone feel good about Penny? Absolutely.
I don't understand how he could be "not lying" but embellishing in this case? He said a team called and offered to trade for Penny after they drafted him. That either happened or it didn't. Wouldn't embellishing be more like saying that a team called and offered to trade a 2nd round pick when they actually only offered a 4th...?

Couldn’t say it better! Basing on rumors before the draft ie Patriots might take Penny. And what happened after our draft, ie Patriots took Sony who has fumble issues. I am trusting John’s claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toffee

Reaction score
Seymour":2o36i2nm said:
DJrmb":2o36i2nm said:
Sgt. Largent":2o36i2nm said:
toffee":2o36i2nm said:
so John was lying with his eyes wide open?

Does he usually lie with his eyes closed? I'm confused.

Lying? No. Maybe embellishing a little to pump up his pick and make everyone feel good about Penny? Absolutely.
I don't understand how he could be "not lying" but embellishing in this case? He said a team called and offered to trade for Penny after they drafted him. That either happened or it didn't. Wouldn't embellishing be more like saying that a team called and offered to trade a 2nd round pick when they actually only offered a 4th...?

Doesn't matter to me one way or the other, but you have it correct. Embellishing does NOT include completely making the entire event up.

Making the whole thing up would be lying, eyes open or not :)

bighawk

Reaction score
I absolutely love this pick he has gamebreaking sspeed he never gets caught from behind. Great pick.

getnasty

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1zkkxh31 said:
getnasty":1zkkxh31 said:
I've never heard of that and not sure I believe it but who knows

Why wouldn't you believe it?

It's not as Schneider needs to be dishonest about this. I've heard that both Cleveland (McCloughan) and NE were interested in the player.

From who? How do you know that's true? Have you ever seen a player get drafted and then traded before they have even played(Eli and John Elway don't count) Have you ever heard another GM ever say the same thing? It could be true but I doubt it. JS doesn't have to be dishonest but if your trying to pump your guy up or justify your pick those are two good reasons to be.

IrishNW

Reaction score
endzorn":urqtyij2 said:
Every single year when Schneider trades back he’ll say two things...
1. They were going to take the same player at the original spot.
2. A GM called and said they were about to take that player.

Every year.

It’s like a defense mechanism when they reach. He and Pete fall in love with one guy every year and they don’t give a damn about value, they just want to take him.

I remember that happening for Bruce Irvin but other then that when?

Irvin actually turned out to be a great pick

vin.couve12

Reaction score
getnasty":39sflsts said:
jammerhawk":39sflsts said:
getnasty":39sflsts said:
I've never heard of that and not sure I believe it but who knows

Why wouldn't you believe it?

It's not as Schneider needs to be dishonest about this. I've heard that both Cleveland (McCloughan) and NE were interested in the player.

From who? How do you know that's true? Have you ever seen a player get drafted and then traded before they have even played(Eli and John Elway don't count) Have you ever heard another GM ever say the same thing? It could be true but I doubt it. JS doesn't have to be dishonest but if your trying to pump your guy up or justify your pick those are two good reasons to be.

What fans think about a draft pick isn't important from a GM perspective. Why would it be? There's no reason to combat insignificant thoughts. And on that note....

kidhawk

Reaction score
naholmes":jplyigsv said:
I posted last night that we have heard this type of claim before, I think after the Frank Clark pick which also received a ton of criticism.

We've never heard this claim before. John said he's never had someone offer to trade AFTER we've made our pick. Sure we've found out after the fact that other people were interested in our picks before, but honestly, almost every player picked in the first half of the draft have interest from multiple teams. It really just depends on where they go. What is unique about what happened in this draft is that we made the pick and were then offered a trade for the player AFTER we selected him. That is far from common.

IrishNW

Reaction score
kidhawk":2a8szx89 said:
naholmes":2a8szx89 said:

We've never heard this claim before. John said he's never had someone offer to trade AFTER we've made our pick. Sure we've found out after the fact that other people were interested in our picks before, but honestly, almost every player picked in the first half of the draft have interest from multiple teams. It really just depends on where they go. What is unique about what happened in this draft is that we made the pick and were then offered a trade for the player AFTER we selected him. That is far from common.

twitter rumors are saying it was the patriots as well

that gets me all giddy

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The only one that needs an explanation from the Seahawk FO, for who the Seahawks choose, is Paul Allen. This quote seems appropriate - The Lion (32 NFL FOs) doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the Sheep (media, fans, etc).

jeremiah

Reaction score
WOW, just one year ago and 6 years running, Schneider and Carroll were accorded the ultimate respect "In Pete and Schneider we trust". After one down year in a great run, people mock them as predictable. Call them incompetent? incapable? out of touch ? Maybe not those exact words, but you catch my drift.

I have at times been as negative about players being let go, coaching staff etc, but We have what is known as the #2 best coach in the league. We have a great talent evaluator in JS. We also have the basis of a great team. We have Russell Wilson along with a solid if not great center. We have now at least two very good RB's. Two very good WR's, sorry but Lockett is primed to be the best on this team over Baldwin. A GREAT MLB, a GREAT free Safety, solid outside LB's, a great foundation in the D line, and our only real weakness is the OL, and of course one more good CB.

The future is now guys, when this team picks up more solid players in this draft, we will be only one more from being top dog in the West once again. The Rams will fall quickly, and the 9ers .... well they are the 49ers with a horrible FO. WE SHALL PREVAIL after just one more slightly down year. This team should go at least 9-7, maybe better but with more explosion. I AM ALL IN, how about ya'll?????

hawknation2018

Reaction score
HawkGA":3d5lcnkn said:
massari":3d5lcnkn said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeSilver/status/989702462599659521[/tweet]
Looks like the Browns might be the mystery team.

That's a heck of an endorsement! The Browns? They screwed up their two first round picks. No reason to believe they wouldn't have screwed up their second round pick too.

They drafted Chubb instead. Not too high on Penny/Chubb in comparison to Guise.

jeremiah

Reaction score
olyfan63":1rhyuq6y said:
This seems reasonably plausible, but why should we care? It would have to be an offer that would, in Boz-speak, knock us on our butt. Whatever lame offer clearly didn't. NE sounds like the most likely interested party, as others noted.

Penny looks to be the best NFL back, as a part of the Seahawks, out of all the ones on the board, even over Saquon. Simply a great fit here. It's that yards after contact stat, plus his health and absence of knee injuries, plus coachability and attitude, plus, plus, many more things, that will help him excel here.
With his vision, willingness to run inside, and ability to bounce to where the opening is, I have this feeling he *might* actually make the Seahawks O-Line actually look "good", OK, "average" would do, and generate that feeling in the O-Line, TEs, other backs, and WRs, that guys got when blocking for Lynch, that chemistry, of determining to hold blocks a little longer, make a little extra effort, because of who's running behind them.

On top of that, I'm truly hoping for a consistent approach to blocking technique that fits with OC playcalls. Solari teaching technique compatible with playcalls as well as within the physical abilities and skill sets of the O-Line talent certainly won't hurt.

I wouldn't be surprised if his rookie season gives us flashbacks of Curt Warner. The one that starts with a "C".

Other guys have assorted question marks or things that don't make them feel like as much of a fit in Seattle. Saquon? 0.5 yards after contact? WTF? Are we talking about Shaun Alexander after he got paid? Sony Michel, NE pick at 32? He looks like a Penny clone, except with the fumble-itis and potentially bad knees. No thank you. Let's keep the original and enjoy watching him do his thing in Seattle.

I could not agree with you more....which may be the kiss of death. I absolutely love the way Penny plays.

toffee

Reaction score
jeremiah":3rtdpqqc said:
WOW, just one year ago and 6 years running, Schneider and Carroll were accorded the ultimate respect "In Pete and Schneider we trust". After one down year in a great run, people mock them as predictable. Call them incompetent? incapable? out of touch ? Maybe not those exact words, but you catch my drift.

You left out John being called a lier for saying another team called to explore a trade for Penny after we drafted him.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
toffee":3w4qqj91 said:
jeremiah":3w4qqj91 said:

You left out John being called a lier for saying another team called to explore a trade for Penny after we drafted him.

Seriously, why? Nutjobs need a straight jacket all looking for black helicopters outside and ish...

BigMeach

Reaction score
Lol, those who are suggesting JS and PC were fabricating, or exaggerating that some team called to acquire Penny after the fact are hilarious. The more frequently they go against the grain of draft pundits, the less you believe them when they say things like this?

You realize how silly that is right? If anything it would prove honesty not fabrication.