Seahawks GM: A team tried to trade for Rashaad Penny

brimsalabim

Reaction score
At this point why does it even matter? We drafted him because we wanted him. Either he makes us a better team or he doesn’t. Only time will tell.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt. The difference between late 1st or early 2nd is minimal. Shoot, on day 2, there were a bunch of so called "1st round grade" guys sitting there. They got the guy they wanted. None of us will ever know what other teams may have wanted Penny.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
getnasty":1p18pesr said:
original poster":1p18pesr said:
This is honesty baffling.

Do people REALLY believe that John Schneider lied about a team trying to acquire Penny after we selected him?

Madness.

I do

Wow.

purpleneer

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3fn4s5zt said:
mikeak":3fn4s5zt said:
getnasty":3fn4s5zt said:
Sports Hernia":3fn4s5zt said:
Based on????

Why do you believe he's telling the truth? How many times have you ever heard of a player that just got drafted being traded? How many times have you ever even heard of a trade offer for a player that has just been drafted? The answer to both of those questions is never. It could be true but I don't by it.

It is actually a smart strategy if you are willing to gamble a bit

Say it takes a 5th rounder to move up 2-5 spots

If you think nobody is grabbing your guy you are just ready. If someone does it is possible they accept the trade and you don’t waste the pick moving up in case you never needed to move up

1) You only do it if you have other players you would be happy to pick
2) Tells me it would be NE and not Browns....

Ehhh I dont know, most teams are usually pretty happy about the players they draft at the time, I mean that's why they decided to draft them in the first place out of countless other players. So unless you absolutely blow them away with a trade offer, I would think 99/100 times the trade would be rejected.
It could make sense when the pick is a surprise. The fact that teams value players differently is only reason any trades happen and the making of a selection might be the only way a team can know how far they needed to go, or that they needed to move. A team might be hoping a guy makes it lower, so not offering enough before the pick is made. It wouldn't surprise if the Hawks known desire/willingness to drop was the only reason that team thought it might work, with the thinking that they might have still had a guy or two they would take if a more attractive trade were offered.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Two things that are almost always a given w/Hawks picks from a lot of fans: "We should have taken an O Lineman" and the way too common "What a reach, they could have picked him WAY later than this."

pmedic920

Reaction score
I wish Seahawks.net could make every draft pick for the Seahawks.

We have so many experts, there’s no way we could miss.

Super Bowl every year.

This guy sucks, no he’s awesome.

That guy is a reach, no he’s a steal.

Every freakin’ year its the same freakin’ argument.

Makes me laugh, I Love You Guys

:{)

getnasty

Reaction score
seahawkswin1":2ba5mv2h said:
getnasty":2ba5mv2h said:
Sports Hernia":2ba5mv2h said:
getnasty":2ba5mv2h said:
Based on????

Why do you believe he's telling the truth? How many times have you ever heard of a player that just got drafted being traded? How many times have you ever even heard of a trade offer for a player that has just been drafted? The answer to both of those questions is never. It could be true but I don't by it.

Eli Manning traded for Philly Rivers

Players that clearly state there no going to play for the team that drafted them is a different story.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":dgpeg13o said:
I wish Seahawks.net could make every draft pick for the Seahawks.

We have so many experts, there’s no way we could miss.

Super Bowl every year.

This guy sucks, no he’s awesome.

That guy is a reach, no he’s a steal.

Every freakin’ year its the same freakin’ argument.

Makes me laugh, I Love You Guys

:{)

Yeah, but some of us are right and others of us aren't.

Can you can discern between them? :)

Eltagi

Reaction score
brimsalabim":106mw9po said:
At this point why does it even matter? We drafted him because we wanted him. Either he makes us a better team or he doesn’t. Only time will tell.

And that nicely sums it up for me. Player we wanted - we didn't have much bargaining power (in terms of draft picks) to go much below where we got him. If we also hampered the Patriots' draft plans (not that I'm bitter or anything ;) ) - bonus! :D

Most of the first round draft grades I've seen so far gave it a D. Based, presumably on the reactionary, rather than considered judgement.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
getnasty":3xgabeqh said:
seahawkswin1":3xgabeqh said:
getnasty":3xgabeqh said:
Sports Hernia":3xgabeqh said:
Based on????

Eli Manning traded for Philly Rivers

Players that clearly state there no going to play for the team that drafted them is a different story.

Of course it is, because it doesn't fit your narrative. You stated a definitive, were proven wrong, and you were forced to back pedal.

Smellyman

Reaction score
I believe he could be lying. He could also be telling the truth.

Either way, I won't lose any sleep over it.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
endzorn":19e5xl08 said:
Every single year when Schneider trades back he’ll say two things...
1. They were going to take the same player at the original spot.
2. A GM called and said they were about to take that player.

Every year.

It’s like a defense mechanism when they reach. He and Pete fall in love with one guy every year and they don’t give a damn about value, they just want to take him.

So they should what....NOT take the player that they want, and watch him go to another team?
After several months of going over their Scouting Reports, teams SHOULD pretty much have their own player value system, and not rely on guys like Mike Mayock's (sp.) hyped grading system like a LOT OF FANS DO.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
scutterhawk":39fjxjqx said:
endzorn":39fjxjqx said:

Every year.

It’s like a defense mechanism when they reach. He and Pete fall in love with one guy every year and they don’t give a damn about value, they just want to take him.

So they should what....NOT take the player that they want, and watch him go to another team?
After several months of going over their Scouting Reports, teams SHOULD pretty much have their own player value system, and not rely on guys like Mike Mayock's (sp.) hyped grading system like a LOT OF FANS DO.

It's a good thing that our GM is explaining his pick to the fan base. And I'm not as high on Penny as many others are.

Own The West

Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear what the conspiracists on this thread make of the better Michael Bennett offer.

JS was very upfront that NE made a better offer than Philly, but he had already committed to Philly.

Why would he tell the truth about a situation where he knowingly gave up value and then lie about a situation where he stayed with what he had?

The FO has repeatedly said they draft based on their value, not the consensus of the other 31 teams, pundits, and fans. The idea that they would start lying to pump up the perception of their draft choices is ridiculous.

getnasty

Reaction score
Let me be clear I have no problem with the pick and I'll say that for any pick JS has ever made. If that's your guy and you want him then pick him, I just don't believe someone wanted to trade for Penny after he was drafted and at the end of the day it doesn't really matter weather someone did or didn't.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":33i1ai4m said:
endzorn":33i1ai4m said:

Every year.

I kinda felt this way too.

Both John and Pete give us the "we've liked this guy for a long time, we were willing to trade up to get him blah blah blah" song and dance after each pick.

Which is fine, the team is suppose to pimp their pick and make him feel good starting out his career here.

But do I put much stock in these rumors or reports floated after the fact? Nope.
So, you must have had your doubts when they went after Marshawn Lynch too, eh?
IF they were targeting another player at 18, and that player was gone, it would have been stupid to not have an alternate, it's obvious that Rashaad Penny WAS who they wanted, otherwise, they wouldn't have taken him with their first pick.
Sometimes people say exactly what they mean. LOL