Seahawks GM: A team tried to trade for Rashaad Penny

kf3339

Reaction score
I for one do't doubt that another team called about Penny. Not sure why anyone would think JS made that up. Whatever the call and/or offer it obviously was not seriously considered. Fine with me.

Still curious about our O-Line approach this off season and plan to post a more specific thread on the topic after the draft.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
John Schneider is clearly a liar, why on earth would any other team be interested in a player who scored 28 touchdowns and was the best player in his conference?

getnasty

Reaction score
Why is it so hard to believe that he could have lied about someone trying to trade for Penny? Pretty much everything said by GM's around draft time is BS or maybe everyone really did get the guy they wanted at that pick.

original poster

Reaction score
This is honesty baffling.

Do people REALLY believe that John Schneider lied about a team trying to acquire Penny after we selected him?

Madness.

getnasty

Reaction score
original poster":1myp47oy said:

Do people REALLY believe that John Schneider lied about a team trying to acquire Penny after we selected him?

Madness.

I do

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
getnasty":453xybbq said:
original poster":453xybbq said:

Madness.

I do
Based on????

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
endzorn":1hc4h1q0 said:
Every single year when Schneider trades back he’ll say two things...
1. They were going to take the same player at the original spot.
2. A GM called and said they were about to take that player.

Every year.

It’s like a defense mechanism when they reach. He and Pete fall in love with one guy every year and they don’t give a damn about value, they just want to take him.

Good thing, too. Otherwise we wouldn't have Russell Wilson.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
i don't get people that think John Schneider would make that up. He's a smart guy, and knows that any lie he told would be found out in this day and age.

Multiple media sources have reported the same thing.

Rex Ryan wanted Bruce Irvin and was bummed when we took him. At the time, I thought the Jets got the better player in Quenton Coples, boy was I wrong.

There were other teams that were primed to pick Russell Wilson in the late 3rd, but JS timed it just right. Lucky for us, he's our GM. BUT, almost every "X-Spurt" on TV said it was a bad pick and RW would never start a game in the NFL. Jon Gruden was the only one the said otherwise with real conviction. Mel Kiper and Todd McShay? Hated the pick.

The "X-Spurts can badmouth our front office all they want, the thing is, none of them have the chops to be an NFL GM. That's why they're on TV. Big mouths, pea brains.

I have no doubt that someone offered to trade for Penny after we picked him. And I have no doubt that a lot of teams think they have it all figured out when to pick a player, only to have someone pluck them right out from under their nose, the way we stole Tre Flowers from the Cardinals.

People insinuating the Schneider lied, or is getting defensive are just upset with the reaction that all the pundits and peckerheads have over the Seahawks draft. They need that affirmation given when TV people support the moves their team has made, and get mad when it goes the other way, so lash out at John Schneider with insults.

Reallity is, this was a good draft, and we stole a couple of players right out from under other teams. John is really good at knowing when to draft a player in order to make sure that he gets his man. It worked great with Ethan Pocic, who everyone said was a huge reach.

In fact, every year the mob bemoans how much the Seahawks are "reaching." But the only reaching going on here is amongst the X-SPurts, giving each other a reach-around.

sc85sis

Reaction score
John has previously said they’d heard another team had interest, or another team indicated they have drafted the player had the Hawks not done so first. He’s never before said a team called and actively tried to trade for a pick Seattle had just made.

getnasty

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":31aik5th said:
getnasty":31aik5th said:
original poster":31aik5th said:

Madness.

I do
Based on????

Why do you believe he's telling the truth? How many times have you ever heard of a player that just got drafted being traded? How many times have you ever even heard of a trade offer for a player that has just been drafted? The answer to both of those questions is never. It could be true but I don't by it.

seahawkswin1

Reaction score
getnasty":iomxm9cr said:
Sports Hernia":iomxm9cr said:
getnasty":iomxm9cr said:
original poster":iomxm9cr said:

Madness.

I do
Based on????

Why do you believe he's telling the truth? How many times have you ever heard of a player that just got drafted being traded? How many times have you ever even heard of a trade offer for a player that has just been drafted? The answer to both of those questions is never. It could be true but I don't by it.

Eli Manning traded for Philly Rivers

mikeak

Reaction score
getnasty":322fg75k said:
Sports Hernia":322fg75k said:
getnasty":322fg75k said:
original poster":322fg75k said:

Madness.

I do
Based on????

It is actually a smart strategy if you are willing to gamble a bit

Say it takes a 5th rounder to move up 2-5 spots

If you think nobody is grabbing your guy you are just ready. If someone does it is possible they accept the trade and you don’t waste the pick moving up in case you never needed to move up

1) You only do it if you have other players you would be happy to pick
2) Tells me it would be NE and not Browns....

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
mikeak":17doayqi said:
getnasty":17doayqi said:
Sports Hernia":17doayqi said:
getnasty":17doayqi said:
Based on????

It is actually a smart strategy if you are willing to gamble a bit

Say it takes a 5th rounder to move up 2-5 spots

If you think nobody is grabbing your guy you are just ready. If someone does it is possible they accept the trade and you don’t waste the pick moving up in case you never needed to move up

1) You only do it if you have other players you would be happy to pick
2) Tells me it would be NE and not Browns....

Ehhh I dont know, most teams are usually pretty happy about the players they draft at the time, I mean that's why they decided to draft them in the first place out of countless other players. So unless you absolutely blow them away with a trade offer, I would think 99/100 times the trade would be rejected.

original poster

Reaction score
sc85sis":1mb0pvn9 said:
John has previously said they’d heard another team had interest, or another team indicated they have drafted the player had the Hawks not done so first. He’s never before said a team called and actively tried to trade for a pick Seattle had just made.

Yes he has.

He said it very clearly, "another team enquired about trading Penny after we selected him, never had that before"

hawknation2018

Reaction score
original poster":1cnkc0no said:
sc85sis":1cnkc0no said:

Yes he has.

He said it very clearly, "another team enquired about trading Penny after we selected him, never had that before"

He did, and he wouldn't lie about that. Schneider is probably one of the most honest and upfront GMs in the league.

sc85sis

Reaction score
original poster":2cf00kut said:
sc85sis":2cf00kut said:

Yes he has.

Yes that’s my point. This is the first time he’s ever stated a team wanted to actually *trade* for the pick the Hawks had just taken. People complaining he makes the same claim every year are wrong. There’s a big difference between another team indicating they’d have chosen that player if they could have and a team calling to ask if we’d trade them after we’d just turned in the draft card to pick them.

original poster

Reaction score
sc85sis":1sluzi3c said:
original poster":1sluzi3c said:
sc85sis":1sluzi3c said:

Yes he has.

Yes that’s my point. This is the first time he’s ever stated a team wanted to actually *trade* for the pick the Hawks had just taken. People complaining he makes the same claim every year are wrong. There’s a big difference between another team indicating they’d have chosen that player if they could have and a team calling to ask if we’d trade them after we’d just turned in the draft card to pick them.

You have to ask yourself this -

Why would he lie?

John is well known for being an up front and honest GM

John is very well respected in the league

John is also very well respected with agents, in a recent study of agents, John was voted as one of the GM's agents most enjoy working with due to his honesty

Everything that John has ever done in the past would indicate that he isn't lying.

John doesn't lie, if he doesn't like a question being asked, he doesn't lie, he simply doesn't answer the question.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
If you watch the video of the presser, it looked like John Schneider was about to say which team requested the trade. But then he's interrupted by a different reporter with a new question, and they never circled back around it. Maybe he would have disclosed the team (Cleveland's interest in Penny at No. 33 was disclosed) or maybe not. But zero reason to doubt its veracity.