Seahawks have #2 offense in the NFL per DVOA

Rob12

Reaction score
I readily admit that I am not as knowledgeable as guys like kearly or Rob, but to me, the struggles of the offense earlier in the season were a direct result of a young, inexperienced line that hadn't believed in themselves yet. When you have a line that is on pace to allow the most sacks in NFL history, you're naturally calling plays from a position of weakness. Is that not apparent to many of you? That's not a condescending question, either. I'm sincerely curious. I've watched the first half of the season over again, and despite the fact that Russ could have gotten the ball out on many of those sacks, the early season offensive line was getting absolutely destroyed on most passing downs. What's changed? Maybe that's a nod to Tom Cable and what he has done with this line. But it's hard to allow well drawn out plays to progress when your QB has two and sometimes three defenders in his face a second after he receives the ball from the center. The offense was handcuffed during the early parts of the season. That limits what an OC can do.

I do think I was unfairly singling Bevell out, because when you really look at the results over the past 3-4 years, you will see that the Seahawks have been a very good offensive team. And then you look at how the Seahawks never really spent much draft capital on offensive skill positions, and things come into focus a bit better and it becomes all the more impressive.

Bevell has a great offensive mind. We really don't know how much say Pete has in "holding the offense back." I say that because we've seen time and time again how our offense starts slow, and is it because our head coach doesn't want to show too much too soon? I don't know. But at this point, it's a bit pointless to bash Bevell. For as sick as last year's SB INT was, the play was there. If you watch it frame by frame, the TD was there. It just wasn't executed properly.

I'm far from a Bevell fan boy. But it's really past time to give the guy his due. I think he's been a very easy scapegoat over the past few years, and it really hasn't been fair.

Rob12

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3jn1qzrq said:
Here someone on an internet chat forum is claiming he knew all along what the problem was -- and that Pete Carroll, Darrell Bevell and Tom Cable were all oblivious to it.

It's any wonder he hasn't been appointed to run a NFL offense.

Or maybe, just maybe, it's a little more complex than you're making out?

When you think about it, it's really quite silly. We're not Jedi masters here, we're mostly dudes watching on Sundays on our 60+ inch big screens. These coaches see this team day in and day out. No one on .NET could have made this offense perform any better than Darrell Bevell has. To think otherwise is really dialing up a level of arrogance that is quite laughable.

purpleneer

Reaction score
Rob12":3vt07m78 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3vt07m78 said:
Here someone on an internet chat forum is claiming he knew all along what the problem was -- and that Pete Carroll, Darrell Bevell and Tom Cable were all oblivious to it.

It's any wonder he hasn't been appointed to run a NFL offense.

Or maybe, just maybe, it's a little more complex than you're making out?

When you think about it, it's really quite silly. We're not Jedi masters here, we're mostly dudes watching on Sundays on our 60+ inch big screens. These coaches see this team day in and day out. No one on .NET could have made this offense perform any better than Darrell Bevell has. To think otherwise is really dialing up a level of arrogance that is quite laughable.
So every team in the league is operating they best they can with the players they have? When you think about it, that's exactly what you're saying. Yeah, I'm sticking with my opinion that the Bevell/Wilson combo has joined the OL in performing better recently than they were earlier this season.