Seahawks hire Jeff Ireland as Draft Consultant

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Lithium":3peidnxt said:
Really don't like this guy, but as long as he's not the GM it won't be that big of a deal.
Yep, and as Jazz said JS and PC should have earned the trust by now. These guy KNOW what they are doing and have the Lombardi to prove it!

v1rotv2

Reaction score
In my estimation this another leave no stone unturned move. The guy is a consultant not the head of anything worthy of mention. As far as we know this guy just could be another set of eyes to view players. Do you folks really think JS and PC want to mess up a good thing? Ireland is not filling anyone's vacancy.

Desperation move? Seriously? Consultants by definition just bring forth information and advise, they make no decisions.

JZ#1

Reaction score
The fact of the matter is that it takes a lot to be successful as a general manager in the NFL. As lot of them are affected by circumstances, things out of their control, the situation, and random luck. That doesn't mean they are poor talent evaluators. If the Seahawks feel they need them, I don't think its fair to jump to conclusions to think he is a bad addition to the team. If they were hiring him to replace Schenider, than that would be a different story. You can never have too many talent evaluators around as long as they know to work together in their role.

BigMeach

Reaction score
Suffers from the what have you done for me lately curse. I'll say this to any skeptics...

You do not get to GM for an organization unless you were ELITE at the last thing that you did before you were GM.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":31b30k29 said:
Ireland sucks.
Thank you for that wonderful insight. :?

Ireland sucked as a GM; Schneider didn't hire him to do that.

Ireland was a great talent evaluator prior to his GM stint; Schneider hired him to do that.

Jville

Reaction score
Career reclamation projects have become a Seahawk staple with Pete and John. We have seen it with players, coaches, and talent scouts alike. It's a temporary trial position that offers a performance based opportunity for a career restart. A potential reclamation project replacing a reclamation project.

There is no down side to this announcement.

kearly

Reaction score
Ireland has a compulsive side to him that doomed him in Miami, but I've always been a big fan of his draft evaluations (Dion Jordan aside). Most years he'd draft more guys I loved than PC/JS did. I guess his drafting acumen must have impressed PC/JS too, otherwise why would they hire him?

I see this move being a bit like the Jim Mora hire in 2007. He'll only hurt us if he ends up running the show at a later time.

chris98251

Reaction score
kearly":2vbbypx1 said:
Ireland has a compulsive side to him that doomed him in Miami, but I've always been a big fan of his draft evaluations (Dion Jordan aside). Most years he'd draft more guys I loved than PC/JS did. I guess his drafting acumen must have impressed PC/JS too, otherwise why would they hire him?

Well whether you loved them or not it's were they NFL successful, thats the bottom line and if Ireland is actually performing a function or signed as a precursor to taking McCloughans position we will know probably after the draft.

They may want to test drive him a bit to see if he fits the spirit of what we are doing.

kigenzun

Reaction score
Spooky.

Let's hope he is a better talent scout than he was a GM.

:snack:

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Ugh. Ireland was one of the things I used to love to laugh at about the Dolphins. Now other fans get to laugh at us. Poo!

That said...
TwistedHusky":3dyoe4op said:
Ireland looks like a panic move to fill the hole left when we lost McLoughlin. I think this team is going to miss McLoughlin.
While I think you're right about us missing McLoughlin, this organization doesn't do anything in a panic.

I'll be interested in finding out later exactly what role, if any, he had to play in our draft.

Maxman186

Reaction score
You guys are acting like we made Ireland our new GM and gave him full control of the Draft

hawk45

Reaction score
Can he evaluate OL talent? Right now that'd be the one gaping hole in our drafts.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
chris98251":309qoee2 said:
There is so much about the draft, all the phone calls etc, he may be a consultant for a number of things, value, potential trades, and connections with other teams front office to gleen information.

Besides being a lousy GM doesn't mean your a Lousy talent evaluator. You can judge a player correctly but if the owner, coach and whom ever else has their hand in the cookie jar say a Parcells says no and pick someone else you look bad .

I think they may also be looking at what evaluations he may be strong at, could be linemen.

Also with Tate in Detroit someone has to run to the Donut store.

...with sprinkles...and coffee...not that lowsy Starbucks....get Seattles Best. :shock:

Wonder if Tullys would be better??

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

JKent82

Reaction score
Wow Jeff Ireland is waaaaay younger looking than I thought. I randomly have always pictured him as Dave Wannstedt.

I'll put my two cents towards the he was well respected, bombed as a GM, but luckily he's not our GM. Plus now that he appears younger than I thought, there's like upside or something!

Plus if we are replacing Peter McLoughlin who's had his own issues it makes sense to add a guy who asks horribly inappropriate questions.