Seahawks hire Jeff Ireland as Draft Consultant

Seafan

Reaction score
BAJAHAWK":107eweva said:
Why do people still doubt what J/S and Coach Pete do still? I do not get it! We just won a Super Bowl folks I think they had a lot to do with that.

I think that every time I open a thread here.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Do you know it would be worth the hire just to have one more team's draft board on paper?

CANHawk

Reaction score
I was a little worried, until I heard JS worked with him in KC. Now I'm not worried. If JS knows him, worked with him and signed off on bringing him here, I have faith that he has a Damn good reason for doing so.

In PC/JS I trust.

olyfan63

Reaction score
He's just a guy that Pete is comfortable working with, and who understands the drill leading up to, and on, draft day.
Any talent evaluation ability in certain areas is a bonus.

It's so much harder to run the show, the 3-ring circus, as GM, instead of just being a technical contributor, and some people just aren't built for it.
It's really no different than bringing in players... Pete (and John) know this guy's upside, they know what he's good at, and they think they know how to use him to good advantage in the Seattle system.
Think: The Brandon Browner of the draft crew. Unappreciated elsewhere, but good at beating up physical receivers and good at demolishing Wes Welkers. There's a place for a talent like that.

Having one more guy who can get the right front office people from other teams on the phone, with the draft clock ticking, and explore a couple more scenarios than would otherwise be possible, give Pete & John more options to choose from--this can only be good. Maybe a couple things go differently because of this guy, and we pick up a couple players by trades than we otherwise would have.

Hawksfanatik

Reaction score
I have to be honest, I am not to thrilled with this move. I hope he doesn't get any REAL input towards our draft other than undrafted guys trying to make the team. He sucked big time as GM in Miami.

themunn

Reaction score
Came across this article today

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/05/08/draf ... ince-2010/

Thought this quote was interesting:

Without regard to anything other than total number of games played and started among 2010-2013 draft picks, the Miami Dolphins top the list with 1064 total games played and started (720 games/344 starts).
So, what did that get GM Jeff Ireland? Fired, of course.
Ireland, by the way, was just hired by the Seattle Seahawks as a draft room consultant.
Perhaps Seahawks GM John Schneider and Head Coach Pete Carroll realize that Ireland’s Dolphins were the only team to have more games played and started by 2010-13 draft picks than the Seahawks themselves.

Obviously there's something to be said between the difference in quality of draft picks, but it's hard to argue against simply having the most game time from your draft picks of any team over a 4 year period