Missing_Clink":1k1tk2hg said:
2010: A+
2011: A-
2012: A+++++ all-time great status
2013: D
2014: D
2015: Initial C- seems about right

Seeing a disturbing trend here

I quote this for this reason, look at the players we got in those early drafts. Immediate impact players that are the core and soul of our team. When our team was completely built we didn't have to get the home run athlete that ESPN is talking about or a player that is the next great _____.

After 2012 we started drafting players to develop and either backup our core players or eventually replace them through attrition. SEE L.O.B DEPARTURES HERE.

Our overall draft grades are poor because we have a complete team already and quite honestly, most of our picks couldn't make our team anyway. We are a team in a position where we draft who and what we want. not what we need anymore.

We have impact players already that will be here for years to come. We are just filling in with comp players that can get the job done and can be coached up. I never look at the national draft grades, no other team is as complete as we are, hands down.

kearly

Reaction score
The theme in the 2013 draft was Seattle swinging for the fences like never before. Every pick was a little higher risk but with higher reward, including the big trade at the top for Percy Harvin. Ironically, it was their safest pick that year that has so far turned into the best player (Hill).

I don't really get the herd mentality to pronounce Michael a bust. Marshawn Lynch is the best RB in the NFL right now, and Turbin is one of the leagues better backup RBs. Michael has household name level talent as a runner, if he doesn't get his chance here, he will somewhere else. Just like the guy everyone comp'd him to coming out of college, Ahman Green.

The SB showed that Simon could be exploited. I blame the coaches for that, not Simon, and I think lessons were learned there. Injuries played a role as well. Simon has the talent to be Brandon Browner 2.0, and it's still early with him.

I'm not exactly the biggest Luke Willson fanboy, but I'd bet that in two years everyone will be shocked by how much money a different team shells out to get him. He has rare traits and flashes big time ability. Some team is going to think he is a tweak away from stardom. Some team will pay big for that, the same way the Rams did for Jared Cook. There's something to be said for getting a player who attracts that kind of attention in the 5th round.

I'm bummed that Ware was so damn slow. He's the closest thing to Lynch 2.0 they've found, but he just didn't have the athleticism.

I was down on the 2013 and 2014 drafts the day after they happened, but they have produced contributors, and guys who would be starting on lesser teams. They were average drafts. PC/JS have spoiled us to the point where an average draft feels like a disaster.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":1a0g28ya said:
I don't really get the herd mentality to pronounce Michael a bust. Marshawn Lynch is the best RB in the NFL right now, and Turbin is one of the leagues better backup RBs. Michael has household name level talent as a runner, if he doesn't get his chance here, he will somewhere else. Just like the guy everyone comp'd him to coming out of college, Ahman Green.

There were opportunities for Michael to show what he could last season when Lynch missed time with back and stomach ailments. Rather than seizing those opportunities, Michael lost the faith of the coaching staff by coughing up the football. Ball security . . . blocking . . . patience in following his blockers are all things Michael desperately needs to improve this year.

People disagreeing with you does not mean they are part of a "herd mentality" . . . they just disagree with you and have good reason to do so, IMO.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1j9zv2mb said:
kearly":1j9zv2mb said:

There were opportunities for Michael to show what he could last season when Lynch missed time with back and stomach ailments. Rather than seizing those opportunities, Michael lost the faith of the coaching staff by coughing up the football. Ball security . . . blocking . . . patience in following his blockers are all things Michael desperately needs to improve this year.

People disagreeing with you does not mean they are part of a "herd mentality" . . . they just disagree with you and have good reason to do so, IMO.

Though Lynch being in front of him is a pretty legit reason to only get 34 carries.

And, labeling him a bust is way premature. In fact, if we could bring up the threads about Golden Tate prior to the 2012 season, you would see just how premature labeling a guy a bust after 2 years can be.

Also, in his limited role last year, C-mike averaged 5.1 yards. Not too shabby.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Draft grades for the Seahawks are a crap shoot, and I like how Kiper put it...

the Seahawks, who seem to always have a developmental plan for their picks. We often have players graded differently, but they know how to coach them up.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Scottemojo":18kwiimt said:
hawknation2015":18kwiimt said:
kearly":18kwiimt said:

There were opportunities for Michael to show what he could do last season when Lynch missed time with back and stomach ailments. Rather than seizing those opportunities, Michael lost the faith of the coaching staff by coughing up the football. Ball security . . . blocking . . . patience in following his blockers are all things Michael desperately needs to improve this year.

Though Lynch being in front of him is a pretty legit reason to only get 34 carries.

And, labeling him a bust is way premature. In fact, if we could bring up the threads about Golden Tate prior to the 2012 season, you would see just how premature labeling a guy a bust after 2 years can be.

Also, in his limited role last year, C-mike averaged 5.1 yards. Not too shabby.

I think there is a middle ground between calling Michael a bust and claiming that he "has household name level talent as a runner, if he doesn't get his chance here, he will somewhere else." He needs to show that he can improve his fundamentals before he can truly be considered a potential feature back.

KPL, for example, played just 81 snaps last season; however, he showed us in those limited snaps that he has starter potential if he can stay healthy.

kearly

Reaction score
hawknation2015":jctah86g said:

That's not how I look at it at all. What a dick thing thing to say.

It is way, way, way too soon to write Michael off. Yet on sports radio it's pretty much consensus opinion now. A lot of people are saying he's the worst pick of the PC/JS era. Even if I agreed with that opinion, I would still say the opinion is premature and being adopted bandwagon style.

Whether I agree with it or not has nothing to do with it. And to imply as much is extremely rude. I've agreed very strongly with bandwagon opinions in the past and been burned for it. Sometimes I agree with them, sometimes I don't. Either way, it's being adopted way too soon by way too many people.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The 2013 RB class is very good.. I mean that doesn't instantly equate to Michael being good.. but I would say it definitely raises his odds.

He simply hasn't been able to get on the field because Lynch has been the best RB in football and Turbin is a fine back-up. I am actually really excited to see what Michael brings to the table in camp and preseason this year.. if you follow him on social media he really seems to be working hard this offseason. The guy has a lot of talent.. would definitely not write him off yet.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
kearly":gmculmtv said:
hawknation2015":gmculmtv said:

It is way, way, way too soon to write Michael off. Yet on sports radio it's pretty much consensus opinion now. A lot of people are saying he's the worst pick of the PC/JS era. Even if I agreed with that opinion, I would still say the opinion is premature and being adopted bandwagon style.

Whether I agree with it or not has nothing to do with it. And to imply as much is extremely rude.

Wow... Someone's sensitive.

I think C Mike can be a great back.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":247dt9jf said:
2010: A+
2011: A-
2012: A+++++ all-time great status
2013: D
2014: D
2015: Initial C- seems about right

Seeing a disturbing trend here
Wow just wow...ok umm, question for you. Considering that you included the 2015 draft (the day after it happened) are these the grades you gave each draft the day after they occurred? So the day after the 2012 draft you graded it A+++++ ?

kearly

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":3reotaoa said:

See, now this is how a proper rip job is done.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3qam30ip said:
They very easily could have waited until No. 95 to select Clark, saving them three additional draft choices.
Just stop. You have NO IDEA what other team's draft boards looked like. NONE

The arrogance of some fans is astounding

kearly

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":nbpc13ea said:
hawknation2015":nbpc13ea said:
They very easily could have waited until No. 95 to select Clark, saving them three additional draft choices.

Supposedly JS said that three different personnel guys from different teams contacted him right after the Clark pick telling him that Clark wasn't going to last much longer.

Given the huge run on 2nd tier talent in round 3 this year, I personally think it's pretty unlikely that Clark would have lasted. I guess there's no way of knowing for sure, but I like the way Seattle played their hand.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2dvj7d80 said:
kearly":2dvj7d80 said:
hawknation2015":2dvj7d80 said:

Whether I agree with it or not has nothing to do with it. And to imply as much is extremely rude.

Yes, he is . . . I would like to see a link to a single person -- much less "a lot of people" -- who have said Christine Michael is the worst pick of the era. There is a clear distinction between that obvious straw man and proclaiming Michael to be the next Adrian Petersen. How nice it must be to see those who disagree with you in such a negative light.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
kearly":28odpo9x said:
Hawkfan77":28odpo9x said:
hawknation2015":28odpo9x said:

Supposedly JS said that three different personnel guys from different teams contacted him right after the Clark pick telling him that Clark wasn't going to last much longer.

Given the huge run on 2nd tier talent in round 3 this year, I personally think it's pretty unlikely that Clark would have lasted. I guess there's no way of knowing for sure, but I like the way Seattle played their hand.
Makes sense. This FO has an uncanny ability of being able to judge a player's value relative to where they will be taken. I remember similar stories about Carpenter, everyone said we reached but then it came out that GB was going to take right after us. Same thing with Bruce Irvin, the Jets wanted him and ended up taking Coples because we already did.

I've just read the "we could have easily had that player much later" comment so much the past couple days and have no idea why fans think that. Because Mel Kiper or Mike Mayock has player X rated as a 2nd rounder doesn't mean that multiple teams don't have him rated as a 1st round. Draft analyst make general rankings, not team specific fit rankings but fans seem to think that every team's draft boards are based off of what the TV guys say...doesnt work like that

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
It may be too soon to write Michael off as a bust, but it is NOT too early to question Schneider's love of Michael when he drafted him, and his quote about passing on players like him (good teams don't pass on players like him, or you don't stay good for very long if you pass on players like him, SOMETHING to that effect....).

RB was absolutely not one of our needs. Even if we drafted the future best RB in the world he still would spend most of the game just sitting on the bench until his rookie contract expires..

Instead of using the 2nd rounder on a position that we needed, they drafted a guy at a position that was taken care of already.

Sure enough, entering his 3rd season with us he is in line to be 3rd string.

Any time you use a 2nd rounder on a 3rd string RB you failed miserably.

The Christine Michael pick is easily one of their worst picks, simply because there was almost no chance that drafting him would help the team. Even if Michael becomes a good RB we wouldn't get anything out of him until his SECOND contract and we would have to pay him FA money.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2htof1a6 said:
kearly":2htof1a6 said:
Hawkfan77":2htof1a6 said:
hawknation2015":2htof1a6 said:

Makes sense. This FO has an uncanny ability of being able to judge a player's value relative to where they will be taken. I remember similar stories about Carpenter, everyone said we reached but then it came out that GB was going to take right after us. Same thing with Bruce Irvin, the Jets wanted him and ended up taking Coples because we already did.

I've just read the "we could have easily had that player much later" comment so much the past couple days and have no idea why fans think that. Because Mel Kiper or Mike Mayock has player X rated as a 2nd rounder doesn't mean that multiple teams don't have him rated as a 1st round. Draft analyst make general rankings, not team specific fit rankings but fans seem to think that every team's draft boards are based off of what the TV guys say...doesnt work like that
There is no logic to what you guys are saying.

According to YOUR logic, the Raiders were smart to draft Jamarcus Russell years ago because if they didn't draft Jamarcus then some other team would. He wouldn't be around later so the Raiders had to use the #1 pick on him.

Carpenter? The guy blows and was a bad pick. We would have been better off letting the other teams take him.

You guys keep ignoring the ONLY way to truly judge a draft pick: how the player pans out.

It doesnt matter if 10 other teams were looking at the player you drafted, if that player doesn't end up being good then it wasn't a good pick.

You WANT to draft good players, and you WANT to pass on the bad players and let other teams draft them.

The ONLY thing that matters is how the player turns out.

Hell, Christine Michael probably wouldn't have made it to the 3rd round but that doesn't mean it was wise for us to use our 2nd round pick on a 3rd-string RB

CPHawk

Reaction score
Maulbert":5f7at3gp said:
hawknation2015":5f7at3gp said:
12thbrah":5f7at3gp said:
Need ESPN Insider but Mel Kiper gave the Hawks an A-

Top needs: WR, CB, C/G, DE

Let's start with this question: Will there be any rookie in the NFL next year who figures to be better than Jimmy Graham? In a health vacuum, I'd say no. And remember, Graham is truly the centerpiece of this draft as he came over for the price of the 31st pick and Max Unger. Every guy drafted this week has the hope of being a star; Jimmy Graham IS a star. That's a good grade on its own. I have to trust that Seattle has vetted Frank Clark's off-field problems and feels comfortable bringing him in. Assuming he's OK there, the value is pretty fair and they could use the pass-rushing help. The pick of Tyler Lockett (they moved up for him) is one of my favorites in the entire draft. The guy is just always open, and anybody who watched the Super Bowl knows how much the Seahawks need pass-catchers who can create some separation. This is your guy. From there you see some decent bets on offensive line help, which we know is an obvious need area. Overall, the combination of adding Graham and Lockett plus the attempt to improve things with some new competitors to win jobs along the offensive line makes this draft a pretty good one for the Seahawks, who seem to always have a developmental plan for their picks. We often have players graded differently, but they know how to coach them up.

That's a more than fair appraisal. I'm not in love with the Frank Clark pick and think four picks in exchange for Lockett was too much, but hey, this could easily be a B+/A- draft when you factor in Jimmy Graham.

Glowinski is a Day One starter at LG, IMO. Lockett is a dynamic returner and slot receiver. Tye Smith has all the tools to be the next great member of the L.O.B. And Sokoli looks like the next Sweezy.

Am I the only one who's nervous that Kiper liked our draft? I never trust that guy.

He just tired of looking like an idiot.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
CPHawk":5wvxhc7z said:
Maulbert":5wvxhc7z said:
hawknation2015":5wvxhc7z said:
12thbrah":5wvxhc7z said:
Need ESPN Insider but Mel Kiper gave the Hawks an A-

Top needs: WR, CB, C/G, DE

Let's start with this question: Will there be any rookie in the NFL next year who figures to be better than Jimmy Graham? In a health vacuum, I'd say no. And remember, Graham is truly the centerpiece of this draft as he came over for the price of the 31st pick and Max Unger. Every guy drafted this week has the hope of being a star; Jimmy Graham IS a star. That's a good grade on its own. I have to trust that Seattle has vetted Frank Clark's off-field problems and feels comfortable bringing him in. Assuming he's OK there, the value is pretty fair and they could use the pass-rushing help. The pick of Tyler Lockett (they moved up for him) is one of my favorites in the entire draft. The guy is just always open, and anybody who watched the Super Bowl knows how much the Seahawks need pass-catchers who can create some separation. This is your guy. From there you see some decent bets on offensive line help, which we know is an obvious need area. Overall, the combination of adding Graham and Lockett plus the attempt to improve things with some new competitors to win jobs along the offensive line makes this draft a pretty good one for the Seahawks, who seem to always have a developmental plan for their picks. We often have players graded differently, but they know how to coach them up.

That's a more than fair appraisal. I'm not in love with the Frank Clark pick and think four picks in exchange for Lockett was too much, but hey, this could easily be a B+/A- draft when you factor in Jimmy Graham.

Glowinski is a Day One starter at LG, IMO. Lockett is a dynamic returner and slot receiver. Tye Smith has all the tools to be the next great member of the L.O.B. And Sokoli looks like the next Sweezy.

Am I the only one who's nervous that Kiper liked our draft? I never trust that guy.

He just tired of looking like an idiot.
Actually, many people in the media automatically gave the Hawks a good grade the last couple years and now they look like idiots because our drafts weren't good.

Latest posts