Seahawks might return to the AFC WEST?

RiverDog

Reaction score
Overseasfan":3n6tc9t7 said:
The AFC west is a lot more difficult than our famed NFC west right now. Especially if we were to trade spots with the Raiders. However the AFC as a whole is probably an easier path to the Superbowl.

When we were forced to move to the NFC West back in 2002, I can remember a lot of Seahawk fans wringing their hands at having been placed in a exponentially tougher division along with the Rams and Niners, and guess what? We ended up winning more division titles than the other 3 teams put together.

Parity is so prevelant that long term, ie 5-7 years, it really doesn't matter from a competition standpoint which division we're in.

peppersjap

Reaction score
HawkMark1976":imm0erq2 said:
I heard yesterday on the ESPN Seattle 770AM interview with John Clayton that once a team or two moves to Los Angles a team from NFC West might have to move to AFC west. He and the 2 Interviewers agreed Seattle would be the natural choice to move! I disagree totally. Did Clayton forget those many bad years when Seattle would go 0-8 or 2-6 when playing KC, Denver, Chargers and Raiders twice a year? :(

I pray the Seahawks stay in the NFC West for the next 100 years. :D
I want to stay in the NFC west but do you really think we would suddenly become a losing team if we ended up in the AFC west? The best football is being played in the NFC. This is such a ridiculous post!

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Luck Vs Wilson...
Every. Single. Year. Most. Likely.

Whether its:
Scheduled Divisional Rotation
Same Place Finish
Play-Offs

Box Office Football = $$$$$$$$

RiverDog

Reaction score
peppersjap":3pj7qype said:
HawkMark1976":3pj7qype said:
I heard yesterday on the ESPN Seattle 770AM interview with John Clayton that once a team or two moves to Los Angles a team from NFC West might have to move to AFC west. He and the 2 Interviewers agreed Seattle would be the natural choice to move! I disagree totally. Did Clayton forget those many bad years when Seattle would go 0-8 or 2-6 when playing KC, Denver, Chargers and Raiders twice a year? :(

I pray the Seahawks stay in the NFC West for the next 100 years. :D
I want to stay in the NFC west but do you really think we would suddenly become a losing team if we ended up in the AFC west? The best football is being played in the NFC. This is such a ridiculous post!

Yea, I don't see what's so scary about the AFC West.

Seafan

Reaction score
The Rams should move to the AFC West and replace the Raiders. Teams that aren't moving to different cities shouldn't be forced to change divisions/conferences. The Rams should pay the penalty since they did move to St. Louis. I don't want the Hawks in any division with a Missouri team. Our entire division should be in the Pacific time zone.

CovingtonHawk

Reaction score
v1rotv2":baq8qkjp said:
If I remember correctly the Hawks started out in the NFC then was made to move to the AFC then Back to the NFC. I think Mr. Allen should draw a halt to that BS.

Agreed, no more hopping.

I wouldn't want SL SF nor AZ to move to AFC.

Prefer Rams and Chargers in LA. Then have Raiders move to St Louis and remain in AFC. They aleady considered mid-America in SA.

Cuts down our team's travel.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Overseasfan":32hmrvhh said:
The AFC west is a lot more difficult than our famed NFC west right now. Especially if we were to trade spots with the Raiders. However the AFC as a whole is probably an easier path to the Superbowl.

Remember when what, two years ago, that the NFC West was by far the toughest team in football? As I recall, the last place Rams were 7-9, and could have been 8-8 pretty easily. When the last place team in your division is about .500 and the first place team is 13-3, that's a damn tough division. And of course, this is just a couple of years after we won the (horrible at the time) division with a 7-9 record.

Division strengths come and go, and this will never change with the current rules in the NFL encouraging parity. That's the way it is. As long as we have a Pete Carroll-led top-tier defense, and a capable offense led by Russell Wilson, we'll be in contention in any division.

chris98251

Reaction score
These threads keep popping up, Seahawks are not going to move unless the NFL greases the skids for us, we were told that we are not going to move again, I remember the Seahawks and Paul agreeing to move under those conditions as to not create a divide and disruption for the good of the league.

If they want us to move they are going to have to offer something up that we would want, the only thing I can think of is no East Coast road games no 10:00 STARTS or a Super Bowl, I think the East Coast road games is anti competitive so it would end up being Hosting probably 2 to 3 Super Bowls over a time period. Our Stadium is designed to expand to the seating amount needed when built.

So how bad does the NFL want us to move is the real question.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I don't see this happening. First, there are too many good rivalries in the NFC West, and our teams are all built to compete with each other.

If we moved to the AFC West, we would be the fox in the hen house. We would honestly face roll that division. If I'm a team in that division, I would pitch a bitch fit to the NFL about it. Those teams aren't built to compete with us, and it would take years before they could come close. The closest, honestly, is KC.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Screw that. I'm loving these rivalries with the niners and the Pack. What the hell am I gonna do without Kaep to punk out twice a year?

hawkfannj

Reaction score
As much as I'm raider hater and a despiser of the donkeys I like our success in the NFC West I feel the same way about the Rams and the San Francisco 49ers . I like playing the toughest division in football there's no excuses about how we went to championship Games got to play the best to be the best!

TestMo1337

Reaction score
:pukeface:
OrFan":u9cbypgv said:
morgulon1":u9cbypgv said:
Seahawk Sailor":u9cbypgv said:
v1rotv2":u9cbypgv said:
If I remember correctly the Hawks started out in the NFC then was made to move to the AFC then Back to the NFC. I think Mr. Allen should draw a halt to that BS.

1976 - NFC West
1977-2000 - AFC West
2001-present - NFC West

In 1976 we oddly enough were part of the old NFC Central. The old NFC West was packed.

Huh? Am I missing something in what you said? http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1976/
Both the Bucs and the Seahawks were expansion teams in 1976 and they did an AFC/NFC Swap so that Seattle played its first year as an NFC team and Tampa played as an AFC team.

Then in 1977, both teams swapped conferences.

This was done so that both teams would have an opportunity to play each team in the conference in the first two years.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
chris98251":351g6bkx said:
These threads keep popping up, Seahawks are not going to move unless the NFL greases the skids for us, we were told that we are not going to move again, I remember the Seahawks and Paul agreeing to move under those conditions as to not create a divide and disruption for the good of the league.

If they want us to move they are going to have to offer something up that we would want, the only thing I can think of is no East Coast road games no 10:00 STARTS or a Super Bowl, I think the East Coast road games is anti competitive so it would end up being Hosting probably 2 to 3 Super Bowls over a time period. Our Stadium is designed to expand to the seating amount needed when built.

So how bad does the NFL want us to move is the real question.
Good points! I hadn't thought of being bribed to change conferences again.

seahawksny

Reaction score
Boiler":tw33p50o said:
Selfishly, as a Denver area resident, I'd love a move back to the AFC West.

No thanks.
Don't need reminder of what Elway did to us at mile high

baumer64

Reaction score
I'm not in favor of us having to switch conferences again either. Before they made us switch AGAIN, I'd like to see the NFL make all divisions as geographical as possible. No more Dallas, who is further West than St. Louis and KC, farther South than Atlanta, Tennessee and Charlotte remaining in the NFC EAST. I know that was done to Kiss Jerry Jones fanny but I don't think it's right.

So before they make us change, the NFL needs to make some common sense realignment among the rest of the league.

RiverDog

Reaction score
baumer64":2hia4ixm said:
I'm not in favor of us having to switch conferences again either. Before they made us switch AGAIN, I'd like to see the NFL make all divisions as geographical as possible. No more Dallas, who is further West than St. Louis and KC, farther South than Atlanta, Tennessee and Charlotte remaining in the NFC EAST. I know that was done to Kiss Jerry Jones fanny but I don't think it's right.

So before they make us change, the NFL needs to make some common sense realignment among the rest of the league.

The rationale in the last realignment was that the league wanted to keep together the old AFL rivals, which is why we were the odd man out in 2002.

But as the succeeding generations don't have the foggiest idea what the AFL was all about, that rationalization has long since past. So go ahead and put the Cowboys in the South with the Saints and Dolphins. No one else besides us rapidly diminishing baby boomers appreciate history, so just go ahead and put teams where ever economics dictate.

baumer64

Reaction score
RiverDog: You're right on target with the NFL reasoning. It was to keep together the old AFL rivals and the old NFC rivalries as well. (NFC East)
Even though I've been around since before SB I, I could care less about the "Old rivals" anymore. Make it geographically fair for all.

Latest posts