Seahawks player of the game: Linebacker Ben Burr-Kirven

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TheSeahawksWire/status/1167338883023065088[/tweet]

Burr-Kirven paced the Seahawks with 12 combined tackles, including two tackles for a loss and one sack. He also had what should have gone down as another quarterback hit, but instead he was charged with a 15-yard roughing the passer penalty.

“He had a huge game,” coach Pete Carroll commented after the game. “He was making plays everywhere. It was really important for him, he’s got to make the club. He had a great opportunity to play all night and he was up for it. It’s not like he’s unfamiliar with making a lot of tackles.”

Burr-Kirven is competing for a backup linebacker spot and a job on the special teams, although he may have to beat out one or both of Barkevious Mingo and Shaquem Griffin if he wants to find himself on the roster in September.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Well, he would be the sixth backer so unless there are 7 kept then Griffin is out (sounds like maybe a knee IR?) Mingo could possibly make it due to ST and versatility, but that cap hit is... interesting.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I think he can take Mingos spot on the roster

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I say keep the BBK killer..What has Mingo done here to really stand out?
He costs a lot more is all I see.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Mingo won’t be a hawk, am I wrong or can they not just list Shaquem as a DE if they want to give him another year?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I think they will try to IR Griffin this year. Next year we probably won't have KJ or Kendricks so this years depth is necessary for next years team.

I think keeping Calitro, Barton and BBK as backups to the Big 3 is a hell of a linebacking corps. Griffin is a great special teamer but I'm not sure he's a great LB.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2q1i900c said:
I think they will try to IR Griffin this year. Next year we probably won't have KJ or Kendricks so this years depth is necessary for next years team.

I think keeping Calitro, Barton and BBK as backups to the Big 3 is a hell of a linebacking corps. Griffin is a great special teamer but I'm not sure he's a great LB.

I think this is exactly how it's going to go. Pete loves Quem, so me thinks he's going to come down with a serious injury this weekend so he's IR'd and not outright cut.

All three of Calitro, Barton and BBK have been the best players this pre-season, no way they're not on the 53.

dutchcoug

Reaction score
Before this game I would have cut BBK for the fact he would probably clear waivers and get the the PS. But after this game, no way that happens. He's on the 53.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
I liked BBK when he was in school. He appears to be one of those players who's always around the ball. Lofa was like that, and IMHO it's always good to keep a player with that skill.

sutz

Reaction score
With who's playing in front of him on the depth chart, it might be a year or two before he gets any real playing time, but he's a guy I think they have to keep on the roster. Let him play ST and learn behind Bobby, et al for a while. He could be good for us for a long time.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
dutchcoug":1szxgadh said:
Before this game I would have cut BBK for the fact he would probably clear waivers and get the the PS. But after this game, no way that happens. He's on the 53.

he would never clear waivers. You would have cut a 5th round pick because he was injured all of training camp and preseason coming off of surgery.

Fade

Reaction score
They have to cut Mingo imo, the cap savings is too great, while he showed very poorly here in August.

Wagner
Kendricks
Wright

Calitro
Barton
BBK

Griffin to IR.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Mingo is a DE now I don't think he is competing with this group.

It was Calitro, BBK, and Griffin competing for 2 spots.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/A_Jude/status/1167323961547378690[/tweet]

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Fade":3jc0tbbt said:
They have to cut Mingo imo, the cap savings is too great, while he showed very poorly here in August.

Wagner
Kendricks
Wright

Calitro
Barton
BBK

Griffin to IR.
Agree. This is the most likely outcome.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Jville":l0lh7m9z said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/A_Jude/status/1167323961547378690[/tweet]

Yeah, I read about him being on the bubble.

He had the fire. Seems to move well and is 230 lbs.

He'll be on the roster after Saturday's cuts. :2thumbs:

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
No way they cut BBK and keep Griffin instead. Griffin will never be a decent linebacker and honestly BBK can do just as well on special teams. Always Compete.

xray

Reaction score
Hard to get excited about his numbers in a preseason game when the opponents mostly fielded their soon to be cut players . IMO

Mad Dog

Reaction score
xray":3orpg2sc said:
Hard to get excited about his numbers in a preseason game when the opponents mostly fielded their soon to be cut players . IMO

Funny how we disrespect the 4th preseason game yet people hold up things like college performance and senior bowl as excellent markers of ability.

All the guys in the 4th preseason game were college stars. They may not make NFL rosters but they are better competition than Appalachia Valley State.

RiverDog

Reaction score
vigilantgrrl":1gk5lo1o said:
No way they cut BBK and keep Griffin instead. Griffin will never be a decent linebacker and honestly BBK can do just as well on special teams. Always Compete.

Griffin might start out on the IR, but I agree, BBK earned himself a roster spot last night.

Edit: I see a couple others noted that 'quem might start out the season on the IR.