Seahawks present salary cap situation

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Good process to try to see where we are in September, when it really matters.

Some of his assumptions are off, and he kind of falls apart when discussing ways to create cap space (cutting Michael Jackson doesn't really help). The team will re-structure Adams, Diggs or Lockett and create enough room. Cutting Mone would save some cash and cap but he'd also be due injury projection dollars.

I'll try to do my own calculation this weekend with his same roster projection and see where I come up. I suspect it will be pretty close.

OP
OP
Hawkinaz

Hawkinaz

Reaction score

Some of his assumptions are off, and he kind of falls apart when discussing ways to create cap space (cutting Michael Jackson doesn't really help). The team will re-structure Adams, Diggs or Lockett and create enough room. Cutting Mone would save some cash and cap but he'd also be due injury projection dollars.

I'll try to do my own calculation this weekend with his same roster projection and see where I come up. I suspect it will be pretty close.
The problem with restructuring Adams and/or Diggs means you have to keep him long term IMO the Hawks will want to to trade or release at least one of them post June 1 or next year. I feel releasing or trading Nwosu is their #1 priority

Jville

Reaction score
The problem with restructuring Adams and/or Diggs means you have to keep him long term IMO the Hawks will want to to trade or release at least one of them post June 1 or next year. I feel releasing or trading Nwosu is their #1 priority

Get rid of Nwosu? Why?
I'm thinking a 2 or 3 year extension with cap relief for 2023.

Jville

Reaction score

Indeed, Brendon Nelson has some holes in his assumptions. But, he has plenty of time to correct those with his next youtube iteration.

Of note is the continuing saga of the Alton Robinson injury. It has sounded more and more along the lines of what we heard about Ben Burr-Kirven. I have Robinson listed as an opening day long shot. Presumption of an injury settlement seems plausible. Although, we can hold out hope for the young man.

EDIT: A cap friendly extension of 26 year old Noah Fant would be helpful.

Last edited:

warden

Reaction score
Get rid of Nwosu? Why?
Nwosu has been our shining star on the line last year. Extending him to gain cap relief this year makes a lot of sense

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Converting base salary to bonus for the purposes of creating cap space has no objective negative consequence.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I could be wrong here, but he is accounting for the 53 man roster. Isn't the active roster cap hit based on your top 51 players?

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I spent a little more time comparing his analysis to other sources... and I have a few more points.

First off, when he calculates the potential dead cap from cutting Eskridge and a few others, he's putting those figures all as pre-June 1 cuts. The actual dead cap would be much less. Eskridge's dead cap would be $422K not $844K.

The amount he's using for total available cap is questionable as well. Both the NFLPA and the two private sites have adjusted those figures down between $1.5 and $2M. I'm not sure why that is, but you can't ignore it. I think part of it may have to do with off-season workout bonuses, or could be an extra cap adjustment from last year, we may not ever know. Cap figures change with no explanation, and we just have to roll with that.

We also need to address roster changes that happen after the start of the season, and came injuries. That's easily another $3-$5M.

So really, the Seahawks need to create between at least $10 - $12M in order to get through the 2023 season. They can do that by adjusting a few vet deals.

Overall, I think the video is a good start at how to think about cap space this time of year. I also think he's fuzzy on a few important areas, so if you really want to learn more about how the cap works, you should look to many different sources.

OP
OP
Hawkinaz

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Converting base salary to bonus for the purposes of creating cap space has no objective negative consequence.
Yes it does, your converting base money to guaranteed money it’s great for the player but if the teams plan is short term it is not. Adams contract already has a lot of guaranteed money the last thing you want is to make it worse Diggs contract isn’t as bad

With the contract that Watson signed with the Browns there is a clause that the Browns can at any time convert some of the have to work for guarantees to a signing bonus which they did for 2023 which results in a $64 million cap hit per year for seasons 2024-2026

OP
OP
Hawkinaz

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Get rid of Nwosu? Why?
His 2023 cap hit is over $12 million the Hawks would save $8.26 million if he is released or traded. My guess is that Derrick Hall was drafted with this in mind DE was not a priority

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Yes it does, your converting base money to guaranteed money it’s great for the player but if the teams plan is short term it is not. Adams contract already has a lot of guaranteed money the last thing you want is to make it worse Diggs contract isn’t as bad

With the contract that Watson signed with the Browns there is a clause that the Browns can at any time convert some of the have to work for guarantees to a signing bonus which they did for 2023 which results in a $64 million cap hit per year for seasons 2024-2026
It is true you're guaranteeing salary that wasn't already guaranteed, but I'm assuming these are players who would make the team anyway. If they were planning on moving off of Diggs, Lockett, Adams or Nwosu that would have done that by now.

Jville

Reaction score
His 2023 cap hit is over $12 million the Hawks would save $8.26 million if he is released or traded. My guess is that Derrick Hall was drafted with this in mind DE was not a priority

Releasing Uchenna, our best edge rusher from 2022, would generate $4.75 million in dead cap that would count against the cap. Limiting freed up cap space to $8.26 million. But, isn't Uchenna someone Pete and John are excited about as a core player? Recognizing how highly they think of him, it's reasonable to think Uchenna is an important part of their 2023 plans.

Wouldn't an extension make more sense to secure the services of a player they think so highly of while generating some present day cap relief? Converting $6 million of this years salary into signing bonus while extending his contract by two more years would create $4 million in additional 2023 cap space.

Derrick Hall is certainly promising and will compete for a rush role in specific sub-packages. But, Derrick has a lot of addtional skill development to address before developing into the high snap role Uchenna already provides.

P.S. Derrick will have a different role than Uchenns. He was drafted for a projected role. Derrick is reported to be up to 295lbs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hawkinaz

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Releasing Uchenna, our best edge rusher from 2022, would generate $4.75 million in dead cap that would count against the cap. Limiting freed up cap space to $8.26 million. But, isn't Uchenna someone Pete and John are excited about as a core player? Recognizing how highly they think of him, it's reasonable to think Uchenna is an important part of their 2023 plans.

Wouldn't an extension make more sense to secure the services of a player they think so highly of while generating some present day cap relief? Converting $6 million of this years salary into signing bonus while extending his contract by two more years would create $4 million in additional 2023 cap space.

Derrick Hall is certainly promising and will compete for a rush role in specific sub-packages. But, Derrick has a lot of addtional skill development to address before developing into the high snap role Uchenna already provides.

P.S. Derrick will have a different role than Uchenns. He was drafted for a projected role. Derrick is reported to be up to 295lbs.
I wouldn’t assume Nwosu is in the plans to be a core player. I am getting the feeling the Seahawks front office doesn’t want to extend players like they used to

Hall is an OLB who is around 245 LBs you are thinking about Mike Morris who will be a DT/ DE that is up to 295lbs

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I wouldn’t assume Nwosu is in the plans to be a core player. I am getting the feeling the Seahawks front office doesn’t want to extend players like they used to

Hall is an OLB who is around 245 LBs you are thinking about Mike Morris who will be a DT/ DE that is up to 295lbs
If they trade or cut Nwosu, they are very clearly saying, they don't want to win this year. He is 26 on a very good deal. He is the kind of guy you rebuild the defense with.

irfuben32

Reaction score
Nwosu is one of our best defenders, Jamal Adams is trash. seems like an easy choice. If we go back to the 4-3 then Nwosu is the SAM.

Latest posts