Seahawks releasing C Justin Britt

HawkStrong

Reaction score
sdog1981":uj7q40rz said:
So based on the guys that are still Free Agents and will not need an extensive physical.

I see.

Brandon Mebane

Christian Covington

Jonathan Hankins

Snacks Harrison

Kyle Love

Mebane and Harrison are done.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":1dmbj209 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/1254579389930582016[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DangeRussWilson/status/1254579100875923456[/tweet]

Wilson's post was really nice, well said Russ.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":1gx6c4cs said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/1254575238504833024[/tweet]

eeeeeeeeee

[youtube]lypTR73nsGs[/youtube]

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JaredStanger/status/1254583807723765767[/tweet]

Pete's been hinting about changing things up this year on defense. But he's keeping it close to the vest for now.

AgentDib

Reaction score
We had one player on the OL with meaningful guaranteed cash remaining in LT Duane Brown. Then we added two free agents with guaranteed dollars and listed them on the website as T Brandon Shell and C/G BJ Finney. Then we drafted a RG early in Damien Lewis who will have guaranteed dollars.

That means we are now committed to four OL for this season (LT C RG RT) and there are ~6 spots still wide open for competition. There's still plenty of flexibility there and the number of linemen with non-guaranteed contracts on the team isn't as meaningful as people think it is.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I don't think this surprises anyone.

We now have the Cap dollars to fill the holes left by the draft with some FA's.

We are thin at nickel corner, DT, OT.

We could also be maneuvering to sign Clowney.

But now we can fill the roster out and the OL has plenty of solid competition for guard and centre positions. So i don't think we will miss Britt and Fluker (especially since we didn't have them for large swaths of last year).

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, at that cap number, and coming off a pretty serious injury, it was time. They may have asked him to take a pay cut and he wouldn't do it, we'll never know. I liked him as a player, but this move makes sense.

kf3339

Reaction score
This was expected as many already stated. His cap hit and savings were too much to leave on the roster. Hope he finds a good home. Thanks Britt and good luck!

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I think there is a lesson for all of us in the Justin Britt era of Seahawks football. I haven’t read one single post regarding Britt in the last couple of days where anyone was glad to be rid of him. Basically the sentiment that I’ve seen boils down to thanks for your service, your injury and salary made this essential, good luck to you...

Now let’s go back to his first couple of years before he settled in at center. The consensus was that he was a wasted pick, couldn’t play, was a bum,...
He went from one of the worst RTs in the league to a pretty bad LG the next year to a competent C in his third year. From a guy who most fans wanted gone after his 1st and 2nd year to a guy who got a second contract.

Let’s learn from Britt by waiting to pass judgement on draft picks and let players mature and raise their game before prematurely calling them busts and wanting their a$$es out!

Maybe he’s a good example of a player that you can’t really evaluate right out of the gate. Between a line position change or two, some continuity and time to learn the pro game Justin Britt became a very good player on the o line for the Seahawks.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
wow this is big news. I think were getting Yannick N.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":3lfv0o31 said:
wow this is big news. I think were getting Yannick N.

Problem with Yannick is that he's franchised so we'd have to give up draft capital and possibly players and then pay him the franchise rate. Clowney is a FA and would just cost money. I'd go after Clowney unless we can fleece the Jags with a 5th rounder.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Getting Yannick would be a huge surprise to me. He is double priced. We could get both Clowney and Griffin for less than Yannick would cost us.
I hate losing Britt, who has been a strong player and great teammate. But it is to be expected in a league built for turnover. Injury rate and cap make this kind of thing inevitable.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
After the draft and signing Mayowa and Irvin I think we may be out on Clowney and Yannick. And, I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing.

Clowney is a great DE, but not a great fit for Pete's defense. He doesn't have the speed off the edge to play the LEO role and is not stout enough for the strong side end in Pete's traditional 4-3 under front (which in Pete's system is often in a 4 or 4i alignment). His combination of strength and speed did bring flexibility to the DL ("We want to be multiple," said every d coordinator ever). Clowney is an incredibly versatile player.

With the Texans he was effective as a 3-4 outside LB and 3-4 end. Although, I think neither was an ideal fit. With Seattle, Clowney was effective as a weak side end in a 4-3 under and a strong side end in a 4-3 over. With Clowney in the game the Seahawks were able to switch seamlessly between a 4-3 under and 4-3 over without sacrificing run strength to the strong side. But, I do think the lack of a true LEO was an issue and part of the reason the pass rush was mostly ineffective. It is telling that Mayowa and the 2nd round pick are in the mold of that LEO position, that may also be Robinson's best fit.

I think the best fit for Clowney would be the NY Giants. New d-coordinator Graham seems to want to run multiple schemes with the same personnel. He has hinted at switching between 3-4 and 4-3 depending on the opponent. I don't get the Titans fit.

Yannick would cost too much and block the other acquisitions. I don't like drafting a guy relatively early and then blocking his best fit role by trading for and signing to a long term big contract another guy with the same position fit.

MrThortan

Reaction score
It's a bummer losing Britt. After the rough start to his career, I thought he developed into a solid starting center. Hopefully there is a team out their that is in need of a veteran presence at the position.

Hope we have an improved offensive line when the season starts. It's pretty much guaranteed to be new.

12th Dimension

Reaction score
Sun Tzu":2psxu94i said:
After the draft and signing Mayowa and Irvin I think we may be out on Clowney and Yannick. And, I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing.

Clowney is a great DE, but not a great fit for Pete's defense. He doesn't have the speed off the edge to play the LEO role and is not stout enough for the strong side end in Pete's traditional 4-3 under front (which in Pete's system is often in a 4 or 4i alignment). His combination of strength and speed did bring flexibility to the DL ("We want to be multiple," said every d coordinator ever). Clowney is an incredibly versatile player.

With the Texans he was effective as a 3-4 outside LB and 3-4 end. Although, I think neither was an ideal fit. With Seattle, Clowney was effective as a weak side end in a 4-3 under and a strong side end in a 4-3 over. With Clowney in the game the Seahawks were able to switch seamlessly between a 4-3 under and 4-3 over without sacrificing run strength to the strong side. But, I do think the lack of a true LEO was an issue and part of the reason the pass rush was mostly ineffective. It is telling that Mayowa and the 2nd round pick are in the mold of that LEO position, that may also be Robinson's best fit.

I think the best fit for Clowney would be the NY Giants. New d-coordinator Graham seems to want to run multiple schemes with the same personnel. He has hinted at switching between 3-4 and 4-3 depending on the opponent. I don't get the Titans fit.

Yannick would cost too much and block the other acquisitions. I don't like drafting a guy relatively early and then blocking his best fit role by trading for and signing to a long term big contract another guy with the same position fit.

I agree.

I’m always wrong about what the Hawks will do, but after the draft, I don’t see DE as the big need anymore. I see DT, FS, NCB, and RB as the new needs. We’re thin at those positions and lack depth.

I hate to see Britt go. Hope he has a speedy recovery and comes back better than ever.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":1akhzx5d said:
I think there is a lesson for all of us in the Justin Britt era of Seahawks football. I haven’t read one single post regarding Britt in the last couple of days where anyone was glad to be rid of him. Basically the sentiment that I’ve seen boils down to thanks for your service, your injury and salary made this essential, good luck to you...

Now let’s go back to his first couple of years before he settled in at center. The consensus was that he was a wasted pick, couldn’t play, was a bum,...
He went from one of the worst RTs in the league to a pretty bad LG the next year to a competent C in his third year. From a guy who most fans wanted gone after his 1st and 2nd year to a guy who got a second contract.

Let’s learn from Britt by waiting to pass judgement on draft picks and let players mature and raise their game before prematurely calling them busts and wanting their a$$es out!

Maybe he’s a good example of a player that you can’t really evaluate right out of the gate. Between a line position change or two, some continuity and time to learn the pro game Justin Britt became a very good player on the o line for the Seahawks.

I shall restate my personal opinion on this. The first 2 years were possibly training years as they had a plan for him at center. Needing to learn how to position the blocks is easiest by playing a position on each side of the center. He did that and learned how it is done. He was not great at those positions, but he learned the blocking scheme so he could point them out to the players coming in. I feel that is what earned him the second contract. I seem to recall the coaching staff saying they have a plan. Some players take 2 years to get it....some take longer...some never do get it and get washed out of the system. Just an opinion on an opinion board.

jeremiah

Reaction score
I thought O line continuity was the gold standard? Cutting Brown at LT makes more sense, though I see no reason to let him go either. Britt and Fluker were ROCKS on the line at points in the past. They have been churning players on the O line since Petes first year. Better be cutting calories Russ, you WILL be running around a lot.