Seahawks releasing C Justin Britt

flufferd

Reaction score
jeremiah":2m2v9zu7 said:
I thought O line continuity was the gold standard? Cutting Brown at LT makes more sense, though I see no reason to let him go either. Britt and Fluker were ROCKS on the line at points in the past. They have been churning players on the O line since Petes first year. Better be cutting calories Russ, you WILL be running around a lot.
Britt wasn't good last year though. And Finney was the replacement center in Pittsburgh I think

Verstuurd vanaf mijn S52 met Tapatalk

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
jeremiah":1wq5h9zu said:
I thought O line continuity was the gold standard? Cutting Brown at LT makes more sense, though I see no reason to let him go either. Britt and Fluker were ROCKS on the line at points in the past. They have been churning players on the O line since Petes first year. Better be cutting calories Russ, you WILL be running around a lot.

Their roster moves are at odds with the continuity preaching, but I prefer the competition approach they're taking here.

Finney's going to end up better than Britt, in my opinion. Lewis is going to be a mainstay at RG. Britt and Fluke were both overpaid for their performance, especially Britt. No brainer moves here, imo.

jeremiah

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":31ydf3qs said:
jeremiah":31ydf3qs said:

Their roster moves are at odds with the continuity preaching, but I prefer the competition approach they're taking here.

Finney's going to end up better than Britt, in my opinion. Lewis is going to be a mainstay at RG. Britt and Fluke were both overpaid for their performance, especially Britt. No brainer moves here, imo.

Addition by subtraction. I can see if new guys beat out the experienced guys, but they are cutting them loose. The money on Britt is hardly anything...like 7 million, Fluker....chump change...

Fade

Reaction score
It's about time. Britt had a top 3 cap number with a backup level grade last year. Something had to give.

Fluker, an injury prone guy, now with Seattle having a ton of young talent at the Guard position, making him a no brainer to be cut as well.

I think Seattle already decided to cut these guy a while ago, but internally decided to handle it after the draft, since they weren't hurting for cap space, and they wanted to see what their roster looked like after the dust settled."

There are a lot of guys they could cut/pay cut still remaining on the roster, but Seattle loves to take their time. Before the draft it was Tedric Thompson. Now after, it's Britt & Fluker. More to come.

Brandon Jackson needs to be next. He shouldn't have even been tendered.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Sun Tzu":xeas8zj0 said:
After the draft and signing Mayowa and Irvin I think we may be out on Clowney and Yannick. And, I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing.

Clowney is a great DE, but not a great fit for Pete's defense. He doesn't have the speed off the edge to play the LEO role and is not stout enough for the strong side end in Pete's traditional 4-3 under front (which in Pete's system is often in a 4 or 4i alignment). His combination of strength and speed did bring flexibility to the DL ("We want to be multiple," said every d coordinator ever). Clowney is an incredibly versatile player.

With the Texans he was effective as a 3-4 outside LB and 3-4 end. Although, I think neither was an ideal fit. With Seattle, Clowney was effective as a weak side end in a 4-3 under and a strong side end in a 4-3 over. With Clowney in the game the Seahawks were able to switch seamlessly between a 4-3 under and 4-3 over without sacrificing run strength to the strong side. But, I do think the lack of a true LEO was an issue and part of the reason the pass rush was mostly ineffective. It is telling that Mayowa and the 2nd round pick are in the mold of that LEO position, that may also be Robinson's best fit.

I think the best fit for Clowney would be the NY Giants. New d-coordinator Graham seems to want to run multiple schemes with the same personnel. He has hinted at switching between 3-4 and 4-3 depending on the opponent. I don't get the Titans fit.

Yannick would cost too much and block the other acquisitions. I don't like drafting a guy relatively early and then blocking his best fit role by trading for and signing to a long term big contract another guy with the same position fit.

I disagree and agree with you here Sun. I think Clowney is a great 5 tech for Petes 4-3 over and under. He is the most athletic stout 5 Tech in the league. He would dominate as a 5 tech if he had any pass rushing technique. He would even be an amazing Leo if he had any pass rushing moves. He is a pure freak athletically and that is how he plays.

Like you stated he collected most of his pressure an sacks from stunts and over the A gab while at Huston. He could be a stand up 3 tech in Pete's D with Reed and Irvin/Taylor/Mayowa/Green/Collier as the ends. That would bring an interesting rush package on 3rd, 2nd and long.

I agree that we need Taylor, Robinson to give a bump in the Leo spot and we really need Everson Griffen the most.