Seahawks reportedly make huge contract offer to Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":tb6kcvej said:
dontbelikethat":tb6kcvej said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/626476235279990784[/tweet]

Well, Jordan Schultz's bases sure are covered.

Saw that it was from a HuffPost reporter, and even as a liberal that place is nuts.

SC

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2l9ycg79 said:
BlueTalon":2l9ycg79 said:
This is absolutely the worst part of the football year. What we're experiencing is the football fan equivalent of cabin fever. We don't need a Wilson deal to lose the craziness (although that would be tremendous), we just need a flow of information about some actual news of something really happening. The start of training camp for us will be like the first few breaths of someone who almost drowned.

The NFL is a 24/7/365 media churning machine now. So unfortunately all training camp is going to bring is more stories of injuries, holdouts, contract demands and unhappy players.

I guarantee you next week at this time the main stories aren't going to be training camp football related issues. It's going to be

- Where's Michael Bennett?
- Why isn't Marshawn participating?
- Does Russell look comfortable?
- OMG Bruce got mad at somebody, is he still pissed?

The media knows now what gets clicks, and it ain't who's got the lead at the left guard battle.

Sorry, I missed Kam also wants more money.

MVP53

Reaction score
ptisme":j20396z6 said:
The discussion re Rodgers was: Who was better... When you say "he couldn't win" that's silly... There's 53 guys on a team.
Rodgers didn't:
1. Allow a fake field goal to go for six.
2. Take a knee on an interception with nothing but green in front of him.
3. Stand there and watch a 2 point conversion drop right in front of you.
4. Decide to jump in front of Jordy Nelson then fumble the onside kick away to the Seahawks.
5. Allow Jermaine Kearse to run right by you when there is no safety help for six....

It's still a team game even if the quarterback plays the biggest role in the outcome....

Meh, Jordy Nelson wasn't athletic enough to field that kick anyway. :stirthepot:

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Isn't there a 50/50 chance of a deal getting done every single time that either side submits an offer? The other side will either say yes or no.

I don't think the odds are ever different at any point in this whole negotiation.

vonstout

Reaction score
I said earlier that it would cause problems with players on D who didn't take huge contracts. Bennett first, now Cam. RW is providing great leadership trying to get every penny he can. If he doesn't sign, I predict both will hold out. If he signs for more than Rodgers, good chance they will too.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I think a deal gets done by Friday and this is over. If not Wilson is here for at least 2 more seasons unless he gets hurt or has a bad year. It would be a huge mistake not signing though giving up that huge signing bonus and all that guaranteed money risking injury (and he does rely on his mobility so he's at greater risk) or a down year, plus if he signs now he's that much closer to his next megadeal.

ptisme

Reaction score
I'd let him play for the minimum then franchise him next year if he doesn't want to sign.... Draft a quarterback next year in the first two days like GB did with Favre... Can't let the tail wag the dog....

BlueTalon

Reaction score
ptisme":1zyvpoj3 said:
That's right, Wilson has less attempts... Wonder how much that helps that he has the best running back in the league behind him?
ptisme":1zyvpoj3 said:
Except that in Rodger's best statistical year (2011) we had no running back/running game.....
So you're saying Rodgers only plays his best when you have no running game? And that he is a worse QB when you do have a good running back?

If that's not what you're saying, then why view the presence of Marshawn Lynch in our backfield as any kind of negative indicator for Wilson?

ptisme

Reaction score
BlueTalon":3mb7mkrn said:
ptisme":3mb7mkrn said:
That's right, Wilson has less attempts... Wonder how much that helps that he has the best running back in the league behind him?
ptisme":3mb7mkrn said:
Except that in Rodger's best statistical year (2011) we had no running back/running game.....
So you're saying Rodgers only plays his best when you have no running game? And that he is a worse QB when you do have a good running back?

If that's not what you're saying, then why view the presence of Marshawn Lynch in our backfield as any kind of negative indicator for Wilson?
First off, I have alot of respect for Russell Wilson(he's a Wisconsin alum). I think he's probably in the top six in the league. It was mentioned in the discussion that he was as good as or better than Rodgers. My contention is this: The Packers were successful on offense with Rodgers even when they had no running game and led the league in getting sacked. I think Wilson benefits huge from having the presence of Lynch and that defense that can keep you in the game(see NFCCG).... I can't tell you how many times in previous years Rodgers leads the offense down the field for the go ahead score and the defense gives up a last minute touchdown. I think some/much of the "clutch" tag that we give to quarterbacks has to reflect on the defense as well....

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
BlueTalon":1k5jvbzx said:
ptisme":1k5jvbzx said:
ptisme":1k5jvbzx said:

Adrian Peterson is a good indicator that having a good running back doesn't make the QB look good, look at the stats below. Peterson will get his yards and TDs, so if having one of the best in the backfield is suppose to take pressure off the QB then why is his QBs throwing so many INT and having no more than 22TDs, except for the 2008 and 2009 year?

2013: He had Matt Cassell, Christian Ponder and Josh Freeman combined for 18TD and 19INT, Peterson rushed for 1266 yards and 10 TD in 14 games

2012: Christian Ponder made 18TD and 12INT, Peterson rushed for 2091 yards and 12TD in 16 games

2011: Christian Ponder, Donovan Mcnabe, and Joe Web combined for 20TD and 17INT, Peterson rushed for 970 yards and 12TD in 12 games

2010: Brett Favre, Joe Web and Tarvaris Jackson combined for 14TD and 26INT, Peterson rushed for 1298 yards and 12TD in 15 games

2009: Bret Favre and Tarvaris Jackson combined for 34TD and 7INT, Peterson rushed for 1383 yards and 18TD n 16 games

2008: Gus Frefrotte, Tarvaris Jackson combined for 22TD and 17INT Peterson rushed for 1760 yards and 10TD in 16 games

2007: Tarvaris Jackson, Kelly Holcomb, and Brooks Bollinger combined for 12TD 14INT, Peterson rushed for 1341 yards and 12TD in 16 games

themunn

Reaction score
ptisme":1to9pe3u said:
I can't tell you how many times in previous years Rodgers leads the offense down the field for the go ahead score and the defense gives up a last minute touchdown. I think some/much of the "clutch" tag that we give to quarterbacks has to reflect on the defense as well....

Evidently you didn't see Wilson put the Seahawks up against Atlanta with 31 seconds to go in the divisional playoff round in his rookie year [following a 21 point 4th quarter comeback where Lynch had 5 runs for a total of 11 yards], only for the defense to give up 40 yards in 2 plays to set up the game winning field goal.

Or maybe you missed Superbowl 49, where Wilson led the team to a 10 point 4th quarter lead, and then watched the defense proceed to give it away - and yet, if not for the arguable play of the season, he'd perhaps be holding his second Lombardi right now?

Wilson benefits from the defense and Lynch, for sure. But they've also had their fair share of letting him down when he's needed them to step up, after he's done his part. When the defense, special teams and Lynch all stepped up against GB, it still required Wilson to do his part and throw the gamewinning TD (or it would all have been for nothing) - and that's exactly what he did. They don't always do the same for him.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
LymonHawk":9vlb1gu5 said:
Did none of you see the hit RW took from Mathews in the last Packer game? A hit like that could have ended his career! And if it were his knees instead of his head?

It's a dangerous, violent, game. Personally, I think he's nuts not to take 21 mil contract.
You think he's nuts not to but at the same time you have no idea how much is guaranteed, how much is fully guaranteed and how much is guaranteed in case of injury. So much of NFL contracts are just fluff

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
BTW, I think a deal is announced either this afternoon or early tomorrow. Both sides are smart, they will wanting to talk about the new deal rather the SB int, Bennett contract demands, Kam contract demands, Frank Clark, etc

ptisme

Reaction score
themunn":6b5yegxu said:
ptisme":6b5yegxu said:
I can't tell you how many times in previous years Rodgers leads the offense down the field for the go ahead score and the defense gives up a last minute touchdown. I think some/much of the "clutch" tag that we give to quarterbacks has to reflect on the defense as well....

Evidently you didn't see Wilson put the Seahawks up against Atlanta with 31 seconds to go in the divisional playoff round in his rookie year [following a 21 point 4th quarter comeback where Lynch had 5 runs for a total of 11 yards], only for the defense to give up 40 yards in 2 plays to set up the game winning field goal.

Or maybe you missed Superbowl 49, where Wilson led the team to a 10 point 4th quarter lead, and then watched the defense proceed to give it away - and yet, if not for the arguable play of the season, he'd perhaps be holding his second Lombardi right now?

Wilson benefits from the defense and Lynch, for sure. But they've also had their fair share of letting him down when he's needed them to step up, after he's done his part. When the defense, special teams and Lynch all stepped up against GB, it still required Wilson to do his part and throw the gamewinning TD (or it would all have been for nothing) - and that's exactly what he did. They don't always do the same for him.
Or maybe you missed the part where I complimented Wilson by saying he was in the top six in the league... And I don't even want to hear about the one or two times in the last three years your defense let you down. I'm a Green Bay fan remember?

camdawg

Reaction score
ptisme":2jmxdmlf said:
I'd let him play for the minimum then franchise him next year if he doesn't want to sign.... Draft a quarterback next year in the first two days like GB did with Favre... Can't let the tail wag the dog....

You got INCREDIBLY lucky in that draft. Most drafts do not have two guys at QB who are rated really highly. And most times, the team that picks first gets it right. The Niners clearly did not.

It's just not something we can count on.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why what Clayton says is correct, and that RW will lose out on some money if he doesn't sign?

http://mynorthwest.com/292/2789304/Clay ... efore-camp

I can see it in a short 1 or 2 year time frame, but in the 4 to 5 year time frame, where he signs a contract with someone and gets paid a signing bonus, he will be all square moneywise. Has there ever been a case where a contract was signed and there wasn't a signing bonus?

Thanks,
SC

Narniaman

Reaction score
StoneCold":2vmh4c9j said:
Can someone explain to me why what Clayton says is correct, and that RW will lose out on some money if he doesn't sign?

I can see it in a short 1 or 2 year time frame, but in the 4 to 5 year time frame, where he signs a contract with someone and gets paid a signing bonus, he will be all square moneywise. Has there ever been a case where a contract was signed and there wasn't a signing bonus?

Thanks,
SC

Two possible explanations. . . .take your choice:

1) Clayton doesn't know what he is talking about. . .since the Seahawks have made it extremely clear that Russell is paying for $1.5 million dollars this year whether he signs a new contract or not. The new contract is not for this year -- it is for 2016 and beyond. Any money Wilson gets as a "bonus" is just money that's paid up front. . . and deducted from his subsequent years salary.

2) Clayton does know all this. . . he is just dissembling in an attempt to produce public pressure for Russell to sign ASAP and therefore help out the folks his job depends on . . . the Seattle Seahawks front office.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
StoneCold":rnrnal7d said:

Thanks,
SC

Russell, like every player's career is a finite thing right? So he's only going to play for as long as he's going to play.

So using that logic if Russell doesn't sign this year, then he's leaving money on the table. Now theoretically if he doesn't sign this year and has another great year and his value goes up? Then he can make up whatever money he lost this year with a bigger deal.

But if I had to guess, this is what Clayton's talking about. But then again, Clayton is old, out of touch, talks in mumbling cliches and is rarely right anymore. So take what he says with a grain of salt.

PackerNation

Reaction score
BlueTalon":1oy1033b said:
ptisme":1oy1033b said:
BTW, Rodgers stats first three years as a starter blow Wilson's out of the water.
Rodgers' first three years as a starter followed a four year apprenticeship. And it really doesn't matter which of his stats are better than Wilson's, because Wilson's stats are better in the only category that matters -- wins.

Only because he has the #1 defense in the NFL. Without that defense, Wilson would have far less wins. I'm also sure Lynch would object to your statement as well. It's a team sport and that defense and that RB have a great deal to do with Seattle's success. Put Rodgers on Seattle with a defense like that and you would have 3 rings and going for a fourth this year. Rodgers already has the stats that put him in the HOF. Your comments are just extreme "homer-ism."

Anyway, on to the real meat of the thread. I think Wilson should take the contract and NOT get caught up in trying to be the highest paid player in the league. Even for just a short while. If he gets $21 million a year and guaranteed money then take it. It's fair for both sides and it keeps Wilson in Seattle where he can thrive in that system. It also helps Seattle stay competitive by allowing money to be spent on guys like Wagner.

I like Wilson and think he is among the best in the league, but if he goes this year without signing a contract, I think it's a big mistake. Anything can happen throughout the course of a season and a significant injury while not being under contract could be a fatal career move by Wilson. Even if it is a little less than he wants, he'll make it up in endorsements, especially if he keeps playing well.

PackerNation

Reaction score
camdawg":32lgu00d said:
ptisme":32lgu00d said:

You got INCREDIBLY lucky in that draft. Most drafts do not have two guys at QB who are rated really highly. And most times, the team that picks first gets it right. The Niners clearly did not.

It's just not something we can count on.

Thompson has a way of getting "lucky" when he drafts. In reality, he is very good at what he does. Did you also know that Mike McCarthy was the OC in San Fran and it was ultimately left up to him to make the choice? He chose Smith over Rodgers.

Rodgers was lucky to get some bench time, learning and get acclimated to the speed of the game, in the NFL and refining his mechanics. He learned a lot behind Favre and from McCarthy. If Alex Smith were chosen by Green Bay and Rodgers went #1, Smith would have had time learning as well. Who knows how well he would preform now. He really isn't all that bad of a QB. In the right system, he can really do well.

BTW, Seattle has had some pretty great drafts lately as well. Luck? Hmmmm, I don't know. Maybe the system Schneider learned in had a lot to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.