Seahawks reportedly make huge contract offer to Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.

themunn

Reaction score
ptisme":2x2fu6uc said:
themunn":2x2fu6uc said:
ptisme":2x2fu6uc said:
I can't tell you how many times in previous years Rodgers leads the offense down the field for the go ahead score and the defense gives up a last minute touchdown. I think some/much of the "clutch" tag that we give to quarterbacks has to reflect on the defense as well....

Evidently you didn't see Wilson put the Seahawks up against Atlanta with 31 seconds to go in the divisional playoff round in his rookie year [following a 21 point 4th quarter comeback where Lynch had 5 runs for a total of 11 yards], only for the defense to give up 40 yards in 2 plays to set up the game winning field goal.

Or maybe you missed Superbowl 49, where Wilson led the team to a 10 point 4th quarter lead, and then watched the defense proceed to give it away - and yet, if not for the arguable play of the season, he'd perhaps be holding his second Lombardi right now?

Wilson benefits from the defense and Lynch, for sure. But they've also had their fair share of letting him down when he's needed them to step up, after he's done his part. When the defense, special teams and Lynch all stepped up against GB, it still required Wilson to do his part and throw the gamewinning TD (or it would all have been for nothing) - and that's exactly what he did. They don't always do the same for him.
Or maybe you missed the part where I complimented Wilson by saying he was in the top six in the league... And I don't even want to hear about the one or two times in the last three years your defense let you down. I'm a Green Bay fan remember?

Those aren't the only two times the defense let us down - those are the two times the defense let us down in the playoffs that lead to Lombardiless elimination.

In the Wilson era the defense has let us down in multiple games - some of which Wilson has come back to win (Chicago, Tampa Bay, Denver), and others he hasn't, despite playing well (Detroit, Miami, San Francisco).

I've never once sat back and thought "if we had a better quarterback, we'd have won that game". And surely that is the only measure which you REALLY need

PackerNation

Reaction score
BlueTalon":2zd8qh9d said:
So you're saying Rodgers only plays his best when you have no running game? And that he is a worse QB when you do have a good running back?

If that's not what you're saying, then why view the presence of Marshawn Lynch in our backfield as any kind of negative indicator for Wilson?

No. Rodgers performed at a HOF level despite having NO running game, a lousy OL and a lousy defense in 2011. Despite all that Rodgers was by far the best QB.

Give Wilson no running game, a lousy OL and a very average to poor defense and Wilson barely wins 6 games. Wilson cannot carry a team like Rodgers can. I like Wilson a lot. I love how he extends plays and he has an arm with some accuracy, unlike other QB's that can run. Wilson is not a "running QB" like RG3 but rather a QB that also has some serious legs. Big difference. With that said and with no disrespect to Wilson, he is not as good as Rodgers.

You put any other top 10-15 QB on Seattle with THAT defense and Lynch in at RB and you get at least 1 SB trophy. Just like Wilson has. That defense for the last 3 years deserves all the respect it gets. It is just ridiculous.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
Narniaman":5m26vkil said:
StoneCold":5m26vkil said:
Can someone explain to me why what Clayton says is correct, and that RW will lose out on some money if he doesn't sign?

http://mynorthwest.com/292/2789304/Clay ... efore-camp

I can see it in a short 1 or 2 year time frame, but in the 4 to 5 year time frame, where he signs a contract with someone and gets paid a signing bonus, he will be all square moneywise. Has there ever been a case where a contract was signed and there wasn't a signing bonus?

Thanks,
SC

Two possible explanations. . . .take your choice:

1) Clayton doesn't know what he is talking about. . .since the Seahawks have made it extremely clear that Russell is paying for $1.5 million dollars this year whether he signs a new contract or not. The new contract is not for this year -- it is for 2016 and beyond. Any money Wilson gets as a "bonus" is just money that's paid up front. . . and deducted from his subsequent years salary.

2) Clayton does know all this. . . he is just dissembling in an attempt to produce public pressure for Russell to sign ASAP and therefore help out the folks his job depends on . . . the Seattle Seahawks front office.

If he gets paid this year, then a portion of this year's cap can be applied to pay his signing bonus. In effect, the team can raise the terms of the contract w/o hamstringing the team in future years. So the team could give him the contact he wants. 4 years/ $100 million and put 8 million of that on this years cap, making his cap hit average $23 million over the course of the deal. If he doesn't sign a deal and ends up franchised twice in a row, he makes 1.5 (2015), 20 (2016), 25 (2017), meaning the next 2 years he'd have to make 27.5 million per year to make up the lost earnings potential. The team's not going to pay that and there's the possibility that he gets hurt or plays poorly and is unable to recoup those losses.

I'm inclined to believe the media reports that the guaranteed money is the biggest holdup. He's getting $10 million less than Cam guaranteed without Cam's injury history and with stats that blow Cam out of the water. "C'mon man!" I think that if the Hawks doubled up the guarantees, he'll sign today (or at least, I hope so).

StoneCold

Reaction score
jdemps":2xyn3odt said:
Narniaman":2xyn3odt said:
StoneCold":2xyn3odt said:
Can someone explain to me why what Clayton says is correct, and that RW will lose out on some money if he doesn't sign?

http://mynorthwest.com/292/2789304/Clay ... efore-camp

I can see it in a short 1 or 2 year time frame, but in the 4 to 5 year time frame, where he signs a contract with someone and gets paid a signing bonus, he will be all square moneywise. Has there ever been a case where a contract was signed and there wasn't a signing bonus?

Thanks,
SC

Two possible explanations. . . .take your choice:

1) Clayton doesn't know what he is talking about. . .since the Seahawks have made it extremely clear that Russell is paying for $1.5 million dollars this year whether he signs a new contract or not. The new contract is not for this year -- it is for 2016 and beyond. Any money Wilson gets as a "bonus" is just money that's paid up front. . . and deducted from his subsequent years salary.

2) Clayton does know all this. . . he is just dissembling in an attempt to produce public pressure for Russell to sign ASAP and therefore help out the folks his job depends on . . . the Seattle Seahawks front office.

If he gets paid this year, then a portion of this year's cap can be applied to pay his signing bonus. In effect, the team can raise the terms of the contract w/o hamstringing the team in future years. So the team could give him the contact he wants. 4 years/ $100 million and put 8 million of that on this years cap, making his cap hit average $23 million over the course of the deal. If he doesn't sign a deal and ends up franchised twice in a row, he makes 1.5 (2015), 20 (2016), 25 (2017), meaning the next 2 years he'd have to make 27.5 million per year to make up the lost earnings potential. The team's not going to pay that and there's the possibility that he gets hurt or plays poorly and is unable to recoup those losses.

I'm inclined to believe the media reports that the guaranteed money is the biggest holdup. He's getting $10 million less than Cam guaranteed without Cam's injury history and with stats that blow Cam out of the water. "C'mon man!" I think that if the Hawks doubled up the guarantees, he'll sign today (or at least, I hope so).

I see where you're going, but I see two changes. Franchise tag for 2016 and 2017 will be 25mil and 30 mil. That would leave him needing another 45mil over the next two years to equal signing today, or 22.5 per year. What do you think RW would be worth to any team signing him in 2018?

Clayton is just wrong about his numbers. RW won't be leaving money on the table over the long term. Yeah, yeah, yeah I know, barring injury.

I also think you're right about the guarantee. The amounts for years 4 and 5 are quibbling millions. I am now leaning towards him signing a deal today.

SC

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Is anyone else checking for news several times an hour hoping for some kind of sign that a deal is imminent, or s it just me?

Tical21

Reaction score
Rodgers is the highest rated QB of all-time WHILE every defense knows he is going to pass a ton and while throwing a very high percentage of high-risk passes with a bad O-line. The guy is flat out ridiculous. I love Russell but he's not in the same conversation.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Not looking good.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/626766131987136512[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNNFL/status/626805620835024896[/tweet]

kidhawk

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":1cm2pc2n said:
Is anyone else checking for news several times an hour hoping for some kind of sign that a deal is imminent, or s it just me?

You have to figure that either Wagner or Wilson gets done before the end of the weekend, the big question is which one.

I have a feeling if we hear about a Wagner signing, then we can forget about Wilson's deal until next February. If we hear about a Wilson deal, we may well hear of a Wagner deal shortly thereafter.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Man I hope something gets done, but not feeling great about it.

Really disappointing if they don't get it done.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":16ytpp56 said:

Every few hours? I'm refreshing my twitter search on #seahawks ever few minutes. :0

SC

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
HawkFan72":fkak5lzy said:
Not looking good.

I'm going glass-half-full on this.

I won't be crushed if it doesn't happen, but I will feel elated if it does.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1s9hwxho said:
Not looking good.

Sounds like one reporter cribbed from the other.

Weatherman 1: There is an 80% chance that it's going to rain today
Weatherman 2 (2.5 hours later): There's only a 20% chance of sun in the next 24 hours

i5roadrunner

Reaction score
Is it fair to say that I get kind of a "Arod" feeling from Russell in all of this? I am disappointed in all of this show me the money BS but I guess this is the sad part of pro sports. I just thought he was a bit more down to earth, guess I was wrong.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":1lz48p21 said:
HawkFan72":1lz48p21 said:
Not looking good.

I'm not worried too much because we know Russell isn't going anywhere for at least 2 more seasons.

And it will be interesting to see how the Seahawks use the money if no deal gets done.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":suh2zn51 said:
HawkAroundTheClock":suh2zn51 said:
HawkFan72":suh2zn51 said:
Not looking good.

I'm not worried too much because we know Russell isn't going anywhere for at least 2 more seasons.

And it will be interesting to see how the Seahawks use the money if no deal gets done.

Exactly HawkFan. Sure, I'd be nice if Wilson signed, but whether he signs or not, as a fan, it will be entertaining to me either way as if he doesn't sign then the Hawks will then probably sign some other veterans we can talk about. Either way, I'll be entertained, which is what I'm seeking out of football in my life.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
HawkFan72":28l08l32 said:
Not looking good.

Crap.......................

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I think it should have been clear that this day was coming the moment he tried to get his contract renegotiated during the earlier period in his rookie deal.

Even though it went against the rules of the NFLPLA & NFL collective bargaining agreement.

Everyone blamed Ashley but it was pretty clear this was coming from his camp and likely from Russell himself.

Russell knows he is a key part of the Hawk success.

That same confidence that led him to believe he can win a SB almost single-handedly is going to be a pain in contract negotiations. He might just be intractable, at which point we don't have a way of resolving this.

So I won't be shocked if we pass the deadlne or even lose him in a few years altogether. I was expecting this for some time.

There were signs this was coming.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Seems a long shot that this is going to get done now. On the Bryant/Thomas deadline when it got to the final day all the talk was positive. Is either party really going to cave now?

ptisme

Reaction score
camdawg":2osruxpe said:
ptisme":2osruxpe said:
I'd let him play for the minimum then franchise him next year if he doesn't want to sign.... Draft a quarterback next year in the first two days like GB did with Favre... Can't let the tail wag the dog....

You got INCREDIBLY lucky in that draft. Most drafts do not have two guys at QB who are rated really highly. And most times, the team that picks first gets it right. The Niners clearly did not.

It's just not something we can count on.
True... But you don't need Aaron Rodgers with that defense...

Status
Not open for further replies.