Seahawks reportedly make huge contract offer to Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ptisme":2up6q4rt said:
camdawg":2up6q4rt said:
ptisme":2up6q4rt said:
I'd let him play for the minimum then franchise him next year if he doesn't want to sign.... Draft a quarterback next year in the first two days like GB did with Favre... Can't let the tail wag the dog....

You got INCREDIBLY lucky in that draft. Most drafts do not have two guys at QB who are rated really highly. And most times, the team that picks first gets it right. The Niners clearly did not.

It's just not something we can count on.
True... But you don't need Aaron Rodgers with that defense...

What, you mean "that Defense" that kept Rodgers in check, but squandered a 10 point lead in that following game against Brady?
As someone printed, "If not for that second and Dumb call", Russell Wilson would likely brought the Seahawks their second SB Victory in just his third Season in the NFL.

erik2690

Reaction score
ctrcat":2b0523t0 said:
nrayorr":2b0523t0 said:
OK, there has been much talk about a deal being done this year, franchise tagging, etc. The bottom line to me is that he isn't going anywhere and we will have a deal done be it this season, next season or the next. That's how I see it going down. Of course I'd like to see it this year, but like I said... Russell isn't going anywhere!

Then why the agent change? Why the "I've moved on before?" line on public radio? Why no deal now?

He didn't change agents. Cook was in for a short time to essentially supplement Rodgers on the rookie deal that required little negotiating. Rodgers was in the process of renewing his NFL certification to be RW's agent, they just brought Cook in because they technically needed someone. Mark Rodgers was the agent Wilson sought out in college and has been with him the whole time. I don't see why you would look at that as "changing agents" when the guy has been there the whole time. The line in the radio interview was perfectly normal. He's saying I've dealt with change/upheaval and come out fine and won't be negatively impacted on the field. That's a reasonable thing to say. He said the same thing at OTA's when making the point that he'd prefer to stay in Seattle.

AVL

Reaction score
Way to get emotionally manipulated by the media. Wilson isn't holding out. Quit making asses out of yourselves.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I could be flat out wrong in the end, but without knowing all of the details, I think Russ is getting some bad advice from his agent who is using this situation to make a name for himself in the NFL. Time will tell I guess.

Narniaman

Reaction score
I think we all could be flat out wrong. . . since the only thing we've got is snippets of supposed information leaked from unknown sources. . .most likely the Seahawk Front Office. As far as I can tell the offer is. . .

1. No change in salary this year -- it will remain at $1.5 million, making Russell something like the 38th highest paid Seahawk on the team.
2. Five year contract for play after this year.
3. $20 million dollars guaranteed.
4. $20 million dollar bonus.
5. Yearly salary up to $21 million a year depending upon certain conditions being met.
6. The average guaranteed salary of $4 million dollars a year compares to Aaron Rodgers who has a guarantee of $10,800,000, Cam Newton with a guarantee of $8,200,000 a year, Matt Ryan with a guarantee of $8,400,000 a year, Drew Brees with a guarantee of $8,000,000 a year, Matt Safford with a guarantee of $13,833,333 a year, Sam Bradford with a guarantee of $8,333,333 a year, Jameis Winston with a guarantee of $6,337,819 a year, Marcus Mariota at $6,337,819, B Blake Bortles at $5,163,701 a year.
7. However, if Wilson does sign the contract, he will make more than Tarvaris Jackson, whose salary is also $1.5 million, gets this year. . . but not until next year.

So with that information, it would be quite accurate to say that the Seahawks have offered Russell Wilson a five year contract paying $4 million dollars a year, with the possibility of him making up to $17 million dollars a year extra provided he -- and the team -- meet a number of performance criteria. Other recent contracts with performance criteria have included requirements that the team reach the Superbowl and that the player be named First or Second string All-Pro.

Interesting that so many Seahawk and Russell Wilson "fans" think it outrageous for Russell Wilson to try to get a deal more in line with at least what Matt Ryan and Sam Bradford pull in. . . . . .

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Narniaman":2b8tj6s2 said:
I think we all could be flat out wrong. . . since the only thing we've got is snippets of supposed information leaked from unknown sources. . .most likely the Seahawk Front Office. As far as I can tell the offer is. . .

1. No change in salary this year -- it will remain at $1.5 million, making Russell something like the 38th highest paid Seahawk on the team.
2. Five year contract for play after this year.
3. $20 million dollars guaranteed.
4. $20 million dollar bonus.
5. Yearly salary up to $21 million a year depending upon certain conditions being met.
6. The average guaranteed salary of $4 million dollars a year compares to Aaron Rodgers who has a guarantee of $10,800,000, Cam Newton with a guarantee of $8,200,000 a year, Matt Ryan with a guarantee of $8,400,000 a year, Drew Brees with a guarantee of $8,000,000 a year, Matt Safford with a guarantee of $13,833,333 a year, Sam Bradford with a guarantee of $8,333,333 a year, Jameis Winston with a guarantee of $6,337,819 a year, Marcus Mariota at $6,337,819, B Blake Bortles at $5,163,701 a year.
7. However, if Wilson does sign the contract, he will make more than Tarvaris Jackson, whose salary is also $1.5 million, gets this year. . . but not until next year.

So with that information, it would be quite accurate to say that the Seahawks have offered Russell Wilson a five year contract paying $4 million dollars a year, with the possibility of him making up to $17 million dollars a year extra provided he -- and the team -- meet a number of performance criteria. Other recent contracts with performance criteria have included requirements that the team reach the Superbowl and that the player be named First or Second string All-Pro.

Interesting that so many Seahawk and Russell Wilson "fans" think it outrageous for Russell Wilson to try to get a deal more in line with at least what Matt Ryan and Sam Bradford pull in. . . . . .

Because people only see the part where it says that he was offered a fair $21 million per year and don't look more into what is actually being outline in the contract. If the FO would give Wilson at least close to Rodgers guaranteed money we might not actually be having this talk and he would of signed already. Why take a deal now that wont' guaranteed you a lot of money only for this FO to ask you to take less money at the end of your contract?

Tical21

Reaction score
How possible is it that Schneider and Pete really don't want get anywhere near locking Russell up to the tune of 20 million per year, or anything like that?

I've said for a while now that I am not comfortable enough with what I've seen from Russell Wilson the passer to think he is worth anywhere near what the market is dictating, and that it would be a terrible decision to pay him. Any chance Pete and John agree with me?

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Tical21":32ejcz8j said:
How possible is it that Schneider and Pete really don't want get anywhere near locking Russell up to the tune of 20 million per year, or anything like that?

I've said for a while now that I am not comfortable enough with what I've seen from Russell Wilson the passer to think he is worth anywhere near what the market is dictating, and that it would be a terrible decision to pay him. Any chance Pete and John agree with me?

Nope, I think they are just trying to go with their salary cap philosophy to keep it low. I mean look at the Tate contract that they offered him, don't you think Tate should of gotten a better deal in Seattle? Pete and John are not immune to mistakes. What about the reduce contract negotiation that got rid of Red Bryant and Chris Clemmons, and restructuring Zach Miller's contract. Even Kellen Winslow Jr. was mad that he was asked to restructure before being let go. This FO likes to keep things cheap, and that's what they are trying to do with Wilson's contract.

King Dog

Reaction score
Tical21":160yodzb said:

I don't think so. We haven't even drafted a qb since Wilson. This year included.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
King Dog":ovb5pw1j said:
Tical21":ovb5pw1j said:

I don't think so. We haven't even drafted a qb since Wilson. This year included.

Yup and if they weren't please with Wilson's passing then why are they not having a open competition, always compete right? I mean surely Tarvaris should be able to beat out Wilson? Why spend all those draft picks on Tyler Lockett when you can use all that to move up and get a QB in the 2nd round to replace Wilson. I dunno maybe they like Wilson's passing ability they are professional coaches and all. If they happen to draft a QB next year then it will be telling that they would want to move from Wilson but it wouldn't mean that they don't believe in his ability, more so that they think they would be able to duplicate the success with a different QB and keep the salary cap low for them, and I wouldn't have a problem with that. I would have a problem if that team without Wilson starts taking a dive and it would all come down to the decision of what Pete and John had decided.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
tacomahawk":3e82dx4n said:
HawkFan72":3e82dx4n said:
Looks like the Seahawks drew a line in the sand.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/626921096697110529[/tweet]

I hope they don't! I have been a huge supporter of Russ, and to say I am disappointed would be a severe understatement. I just don't get it, how much is enough. Of course I don't walk in his shoes, but I would think it would be better to be loved, and make a little less, than be disliked and make a little more. If this really gets ugly, ARod and Shultz will no longer be the most hated in the City. Man I really thought something would get done.

Ill never hate Wilson even if he does bolt in a few years. He was the QB of the team that finally brought the Seahawks a Championship. Something Arod was never a part of

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think it's simple: they've offered him a Top 3 QB contract with guarantees that are similar in structure to what they did for Earl and Sherman (but higher in amount, obviously), and that offer has been declined (thus far). My thought is that they expected him to accept and are ready to commit that money to him. Otherwise, they wouldn't be throwing so much shade via the media.

And I disagree with the post above about this being a typically cheap F.O. If anything, they have paid a bit higher to retain some of their core players and have wildly overspent in a couple instances.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
There's been nothing official from either camp the past couple days so it's not really dead . I give it the weekend if there's no announcement on or before Monday then it probably is dead and that will suck because this isn't going away this will be a topic all year. Every game they win the contract will be brought up every loss same thing , every hit Wilson takes the contract will be in everyone's mind . If there's no deal on Monday I'm at a loss for words and very disappointed in both party's for letting this happen . Wilson in particular has me angry for hiring that agent and agreeing to his philosophy. If he doesn't sign he had better bring it this year.

Exittium

Reaction score
Well I thought when they meant by Friday as a deadline i was thinking they meant by 1 pm on Friday the start of camp? or by midnight Friday. I guess I'm still hopeful even thought I'm upset.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3vkqu8ue said:
I could be flat out wrong in the end, but without knowing all of the details, I think Russ is getting some bad advice from his agent who is using this situation to make a name for himself in the NFL. Time will tell I guess.

Wilson's agent works for him, not the other way around. Likewise, Rodgers' strategy is much more player-friendly (and less agent-friendly) than what agents usually do, particularly in the NFL.

Likewise, from Warren Moon's recounting of his last convo with Wilson three days ago, it sounds very much like Wilson is in the driver's seat on this, perhaps even to his own detriment (key passage below):

You know what you want,” the Hall of Fame quarterback told Wilson over the phone, “but what will you end up taking? What’s the least you’ll accept?” Wilson didn’t have an answer.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/07/30/russ ... arren-moon

ptisme

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1o30whd5 said:
ptisme":1o30whd5 said:
camdawg":1o30whd5 said:
ptisme":1o30whd5 said:
I'd let him play for the minimum then franchise him next year if he doesn't want to sign.... Draft a quarterback next year in the first two days like GB did with Favre... Can't let the tail wag the dog....

You got INCREDIBLY lucky in that draft. Most drafts do not have two guys at QB who are rated really highly. And most times, the team that picks first gets it right. The Niners clearly did not.

It's just not something we can count on.
True... But you don't need Aaron Rodgers with that defense...

What, you mean "that Defense" that kept Rodgers in check, but squandered a 10 point lead in that following game against Brady?
As someone printed, "If not for that second and Dumb call", Russell Wilson would likely brought the Seahawks their second SB Victory in just his third Season in the NFL.
Tom Brady is an all time great. He'll do that at times to any defense (especially one with key injuries like you guys had in that game). Secondly, I believe Lynch had a roll in that game too as I believe he eclipsed the century mark. I don't believe Wilson had great stats that day did he?

Status
Not open for further replies.