Seahawks reportedly make huge contract offer to Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
ptisme":vqkt7fql said:
Missing_Clink":vqkt7fql said:
I'm excited for the reports on the negotiations next offseason when it will leak that Russell is demanding $27+ mil a year to make up for the fact that he did not have a new deal in 2015. He and his agent will blame the Hawks for that of course.
You guys can now sympathize with my Packers how, over time, a quarterback can go from beloved to hated...

So far Wilson hasn't gone to a divisional foe and sent pictures of his wilson to a woman who looks like his wife but is half the age - when said actual wife has cancer.

ptisme

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":jfhifq4m said:
ptisme":jfhifq4m said:
Missing_Clink":jfhifq4m said:
I'm excited for the reports on the negotiations next offseason when it will leak that Russell is demanding $27+ mil a year to make up for the fact that he did not have a new deal in 2015. He and his agent will blame the Hawks for that of course.
You guys can now sympathize with my Packers how, over time, a quarterback can go from beloved to hated...

So far Wilson hasn't gone to a divisional foe and sent pictures of his wilson to a woman who looks like his wife but is half the age - when said actual wife has cancer.
That's a great point... So you can see now how Packers fans got... There were a lot of idiots on PFT who thought Packer fans were being fickle.... It's all good now, time heals....

ospreyhawks

Reaction score
Davis Hsu on Twitter is saying talks are off no deal...

@DavisHsuSeattle: hearing NO DEAL (talks off)

HawkFan72

Reaction score
ospreyhawks":si07igv8 said:

Bring on Wagner and some more depth. Give Kam and Bennett a little gift as well (just to keep them quiet and end this offseason).

ptisme

Reaction score
HawkFan72":28awzdtc said:
ospreyhawks":28awzdtc said:

Bring on Wagner and some more depth. Give Kam and Bennett a little gift as well (just to keep them quiet and end this offseason).
Agreed... Russ is very good... Not great.. I say keep the all time great defense together...

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
ospreyhawks":3rp6fp01 said:

Hsu is pretty knowledgeable. If he says talks are off then he's probably right. Damn... I really thought they could get an 11th hour deal done.

Well, get Wagner signed and get moving. If Wilson really wants to bet on himself this year, I'm not going to bet against him. Franchise tag and all that can wait for next February: let's see these guys earn another ring first!

ptisme

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2c79544b said:
ptisme":2c79544b said:
Missing_Clink":2c79544b said:

I would also add spending a week on the phone with Lions coaches "prepping" them on GB's offense.... Which was funny to hear because the Lions defense got rolled that week...

ptisme

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":198kd5uo said:
ospreyhawks":198kd5uo said:

Hsu is pretty knowledgeable. If he says talks are off then he's probably right. Damn... I really thought they could get an 11th hour deal done.

Well, get Wagner signed and get moving. If Wilson really wants to bet on himself this year, I'm not going to bet against him. Franchise tag and all that can wait for next February: let's see these guys earn another ring first!
You might just be better off this way....

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Well, if you thought the non-stop locker-room stories about Lynch were tiresome last season, just wait.... Boy, this Russell thing will be a story every week, win or lose.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Looks like the Seahawks drew a line in the sand.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/626921096697110529[/tweet]

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3vdikj1g said:
Well, if you thought the non-stop locker-room stories about Lynch were tiresome last season, just wait.... Boy, this Russell thing will be a story every week, win or lose.

Oh man, you're not kidding. Every rumor will be a front page story on ESPN.com and lead off NFL Total Access. :pukeface: Just when I thought I couldn't hate the national sports media more than I already do....

Blitzer88

Reaction score
ospreyhawks":3w31ny21 said:

Unreal.............really disappointed that they couldn't get anything done.

tacomahawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":12iwsvvn said:
Looks like the Seahawks drew a line in the sand.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/626921096697110529[/tweet]

I hope they don't! I have been a huge supporter of Russ, and to say I am disappointed would be a severe understatement. I just don't get it, how much is enough. Of course I don't walk in his shoes, but I would think it would be better to be loved, and make a little less, than be disliked and make a little more. If this really gets ugly, ARod and Shultz will no longer be the most hated in the City. Man I really thought something would get done.

ctrcat

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1oedmicj said:

He has only himself to blame, but I guess he actually wants the extra attention? Even Warren Moon said it affects play on the field as it's already the toughest position in sports. Insane IMO.

nrayorr

Reaction score
OK, there has been much talk about a deal being done this year, franchise tagging, etc. The bottom line to me is that he isn't going anywhere and we will have a deal done be it this season, next season or the next. That's how I see it going down. Of course I'd like to see it this year, but like I said... Russell isn't going anywhere!

ctrcat

Reaction score
nrayorr":11itjkmm said:
OK, there has been much talk about a deal being done this year, franchise tagging, etc. The bottom line to me is that he isn't going anywhere and we will have a deal done be it this season, next season or the next. That's how I see it going down. Of course I'd like to see it this year, but like I said... Russell isn't going anywhere!

Then why the agent change? Why the "I've moved on before?" line on public radio? Why no deal now?

ospreyhawks

Reaction score
nrayorr":3pip3xz7 said:
The only problem with this logic is, and I've seen it said a lot, his agents MO in MLB has been to move his client on in FA to the biggest spender.

rideaducati

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":jlwcujj9 said:
Can someone better versed in such matters than me explain if it's possible for Wilson to get mucho dinero without completely crippling us with the cap. Does such a middle ground exist?

Yes, it is possible to make Wilson the highest paid QB in the league and still not be crippled by the cap because the cap is much higher now than it has ever been and is expected to grow much more.

When Brees got his deal, the cap was flat, meaning it wasn't growing, and the cap was about $20 million less than it is now. His contract forced the Saints to release a lot of good players in order to fill out their roster with guys that were cheaper. That is just one example, but you can find that with every other top paid QB there are similarities as to their situations.

If you look at the yearly expenditures for the top paid QBs, you'll find that there aren't many that are above $20 million per season because those QBs were "extended", not signed to a new contract, so a portion of their signing bonus was put on their cap number a year early.

Several teams will start having more difficulties starting soon because their QB made it to the end of their contracts. Baltimore and New Orleans have huge cap hits coming for their QBs because they didn't get their guys to sign extensions a year before their contracts were up. They now have nowhere to hide the signing bonus. Those two contracts alone are enough to raise the franchise tag from $18 million to over $25 million next season. Brees has a cap hit THIS YEAR over $26 million and Flacco hits the $30 million mark in two years.

Signing Russell to a max contract will not cripple the Seahawks, but if they get the deal done this year so they can hide a few million in this year's cap, it would sure help out a lot.

Exittium

Reaction score
This season thanks to the media will be long and annoying, win or lose.. ugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts