Seahawks sign CFL rookie of the year WR Matthews

Jville

Reaction score
Matthews likely isn’t quick enough to be a wide receiver in the NFL, and he’s probably not thick enough to be a tight end. So Edwards believes his client will be used as a hybrid receiver, lining up between tight end and the slot receiver position.

Interesting article with links going back to college >>>> [urltargetblank]http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/2014/02/18/seahawks-sign-cfl-receiver-matthews/[/urltargetblank]

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1w63o7lw said:
He ran 4.57 40 at his pro-day in 2011, so not exactly a burner (on paper).
Fast enough though. Seems more than camp fodder to me. Might even be a possible TE conversion possibility. Seems like a Jimmy Graham hybrid.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
This seems like the exact WR that PC and JS have been trying to find ever since they got here. Mike Williams worked out week for 1 year, but seem to be craving that big bodied, physical WR.

hawks509

Reaction score
Intriguing prospect, although I still don't understand how a guy like this gets signed and we can't sign Brandon Kaufman to practice squad. Nevertheless, hope he proves to be a valuable piece. Good to see the office makin moves already.

Jville

Reaction score
Their up to something ... looking for a wrinkle ..... a 6'-3" 234lb Travis Beckum doesn't fit the prototypical mold of a tight end. Plenty of room during the off season roster to experiment.

Basis4day

Reaction score
hawks509":d6s84gv5 said:
Intriguing prospect, although I still don't understand how a guy like this gets signed and we can't sign Brandon Kaufman to practice squad. Nevertheless, hope he proves to be a valuable piece. Good to see the office makin moves already.

The PS isn't really development program, though players can emerge from there. It is just as much for preparing for that weeks' opponent.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I'm from Canada..I don't watch the CFL, but I see highlights on TSN occasionally. He is pretty slow, and not all that good at breaking tackles, but he is a big target with great hands. I wonder if they would consider beefing him up, and converting to TE.

nsport

Reaction score
Jville":4bne7v4l said:
Matthews likely isn’t quick enough to be a wide receiver in the NFL, and he’s probably not thick enough to be a tight end. So Edwards believes his client will be used as a hybrid receiver, lining up between tight end and the slot receiver position.

Interesting article with links going back to college >>>> [urltargetblank]http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/2014/02/18/seahawks-sign-cfl-receiver-matthews/[/urltargetblank]

1227 lbs is a lot of beef. :)

I say coach him up and see what he can do. Remember Mike Williams?

GCrow

Reaction score
NICE! Saw he was not coming back to the Bombers and trying out the NFL, and hoped that he'd sign with the 'Hawks.

hawks509

Reaction score
Basis4day":23i1fmm3 said:
hawks509":23i1fmm3 said:

The PS isn't really development program, though players can emerge from there. It is just as much for preparing for that weeks' opponent.

Good point, that really is true. Hopefully Kauf gets a real chance somewhere this year (he'd flourish with a smart RW-like QB). Hopefully Matthew's can win in one on ones, cause with Percy at full strength, he could see a lot of them on the outside.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
He sounds too thin and brittle to me to last in the smaller field, harder-hitting NFL. Most of these tall, thin WR's get hurt easy (see last years favourite Williams who eventually got put on IR after Jacksonville picked him up). But I'll root for him as I do for all underdogs.

iigakusei

Reaction score
I would usually joke about a signing like this...but I will never question this front office and where they can find talent.

Jville

Reaction score
Now that he is signed, I presume Matthews will work out with Russell Wilson this off season ... possibly in LA again. Wilson is a big factor for all auditioning receivers. Looking forward to Russell's remarks later this year.

Sac

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":372s2k63 said:
He sounds too thin and brittle to me to last in the smaller field, harder-hitting NFL. Most of these tall, thin WR's get hurt easy (see last years favourite Williams who eventually got put on IR after Jacksonville picked him up). But I'll root for him as I do for all underdogs.

Those are his combine numbers, right?

Maybe he's filled out some and gotten faster ala Brandon Browner.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":3151ybum said:
CalgaryHawk":3151ybum said:

Those are his combine numbers, right?

Maybe he's filled out some and gotten faster ala Brandon Browner.
Once Pete gets him on the PEDs, he will get bigger, faster, and stronger. Right?

nsport

Reaction score
Scottemojo":26ac2tjm said:
Once Pete gets him on the PEDs, he will get bigger, faster, and stronger. Right?

Round of postings from Saints, Broncos, and Niners fans in 3, 2, 1....

Latest posts