Seahawks sign OG Oday Aboushi

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I've seen PFF grade him positively multiple times. I'm excited about this signing. I'm thinking he'll earn a spot.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
PRO: His versatility and experience would allow him to play both guard and tackle positions. He might even be a good fit as a backup center if he took reps there. Solid run blocker, plays with nasty, and seems to relish in pancaking his opponent.

CON: Slow-footed plodder who has struggled a lot in pass pro throughout his career.

endzorn

Reaction score
Just another body. This fits the Seahawks mold for offensive linemen...can play multiple positions, but not one of them well.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
hawknation2017":3ojesv7x said:
PRO: His versatility and experience would allow him to play both guard and tackle positions. He might even be a good fit as a backup center if he took reps there. Solid run blocker, plays with nasty, and seems to relish in pancaking his opponent.

CON: Slow-footed plodder who has struggled a lot in pass pro throughout his career.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/842927381681594368[/tweet]

He's hard to get a read on, if PFF grades are any sort of indicator.

I really enjoy this signing. He's definitely one of our top-5 linemen talent and production wise. Plays nasty.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
endzorn":2rc2bru6 said:
Just another body. This fits the Seahawks mold for offensive linemen...can play multiple positions, but not one of them well.

Versatility is in short supply at the moment, so this guy could give them competition for that utility role. Odhiambo has struggled to adapt to anything more than LT. And Fant is as position limited as it gets (also LT). Gilliam has decent versatility, but he may be needed at RT (unless they draft a RT, as I expect).

chris98251

Reaction score
If he has not played in a ZBS and we continue to use it most the grades don't matter, everything he knows changes.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Couple interesting reads on him. And yes, he did get cited by the cops for pot. Definitely could bring the Brenno additude that we had hoped for with Sowell. I can't imagine that Gilliam comes back next year. Gilliam = soft.

Aboushi I think is banged up with a foot injury but I agree, if healthy he should be starting or at the very least be on the active roster considering he can play tackle and guard and especially considering the fact that he played very well last year and the fact that PFF had him as the highest rated guard in football this preseason PERIOD. So like I said, if he's hurt there's nothing you can do about it but I don't think he's been hurt the entire season, so that's on the coaching staff. They need to get their head out of their asses soon.

http://www.texanstalk.com/threads/w...oner-than-we-think.111202/page-2#post-2646629

"I think that's what you've got to have to play on the offensive line. You play on the offensive line to impose your will on others," said Aboushi

https://www.google.com/amp/www.hous...ude-serves-Texans-OL-Aboushi-well-6541927.php

Seanhawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":1u2qzqf7 said:
I'm so cynical now my checklist looks like this:

Did Cable want the player? If yes he sucks.

Kind of where I'm at too.

bighawk

Reaction score
I love this signing his passion and aggressiveness I am predicting that he will be a starter in some compacity. In college he was a first team all conference at left tackle but during the draft they projected him as a guard for the nfl. He is only 25 watch out Glowinski you have competition. Go hawks

AgentDib

Reaction score
He was well regarded with Houston and they had a good line last year. It's a good point though that he'll face a learning curve coming to Seattle. We seem to have a lot of options at guard right now (Joeckel, Aboushi, Glowinski, Ifedi) so this may be another indicator that we're kicking Ifedi out to RT if we can't land a good rookie RT.

endzorn

Reaction score
Texans had the 18th overall line according to PFF. Keeping Aboushi on their team would have required very little effort and cap room and yet they just let him walk. When teams see potential they find a way to lock it up. This kid might have a great attitude, but Bradley Sowell sounded like a blood thirsty warrior and he couldnt block me when I'm watching Golden Girls reruns in my recliner.

We've seen this song and dance before. We've been sold this bill of goods in previous offseasons.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
endzorn":1gnbkmbf said:
Texans had the 18th overall line according to PFF. Keeping Aboushi on their team would have required very little effort and cap room and yet they just let him walk. When teams see potential they find a way to lock it up. This kid might have a great attitude, but Bradley Sowell sounded like a blood thirsty warrior and he couldnt block me when I'm watching Golden Girls reruns in my recliner.

We've seen this song and dance before. We've been sold this bill of goods in previous offseasons.

Oday doesn't routinely grade out as one of the worst starting linemen in the league, though. When we signed Sowell, he had been a reserve for 2 years. In 2013, he ranked 76th in PFF's tackle ratings.

76th? Out of how many tackles, you ask?

Yep. 76.

I don't really like PFF's rating, but dead last? You're probably pretty damned awful.

hawk45

Reaction score
Seanhawk":cnpvok63 said:
sdog1981":cnpvok63 said:

Count me in. We are snakebit at this unit up and down the organization. Overpaying by a factor of 20 for joeckel instead of waiting and maybe throwing 2-4 more at Lang makes me think even Schneider had his head up his butt when it comes to OL.

The OL to me are the Mariners before the org change. Anything but default pessimism is Charlie Brown trying to kick the football.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
endzorn":1ujuhqhk said:

We've seen this song and dance before. We've been sold this bill of goods in previous offseasons. "

380.gif

Largent80

Reaction score
endzorn":2vtp9xn9 said:
Texans had the 18th overall line according to PFF. Keeping Aboushi on their team would have required very little effort and cap room and yet they just let him walk.

I wouldn't put ANY faith into evaluating the Texans front office. They hired Osweiller, then after that disaster actually paid a team to make up for their shortcomings in thought. They are morons at best.

ringless

Reaction score
Seanhawk":3oxvs1fb said:
sdog1981":3oxvs1fb said:

Sometimes I wonder if you guys believe that Cable has asked for trash to work with and the smallest budget in the NFL? He is at times asked to be a miracle worker, yet Seattle somehow over the years has managed to have some great offenses and over-achieved with poor lines. I wonder what he'd be capable of if he had the line Dallas had last year?

Seanhawk

Reaction score
ringless":3pch7asd said:
Seanhawk":3pch7asd said:
sdog1981":3pch7asd said:

Sometimes I wonder if you guys believe that Cable has asked for trash to work with and the smallest budget in the NFL? He is at times asked to be a miracle worker, yet Seattle somehow over the years has managed to have some great offenses and over-achieved with poor lines. I wonder what he'd be capable of if he had the line Dallas had last year?

It's his tendency to want to work with guys who haven't played OL or even football before playing in the NFL that drives me nuts. Sure he has a limited budget, but that same budget can also be used on guys who actually played offensive line on a Division 1 level. They are going to cost the same.

He has said before this because they don't have bad habits to break. I look at it another way. Nothing is ever perfect in football or even as you see it in practice. When things go to hell, guys who have played OL for several years can lean on past experience to correct themselves in the split seconds that are available and actually turn it into less of a crap play. These defensive lineman and power forwards are starting from scratch and are like a baby deer walking in a forest and there are countless whiffs every game, complete whiffs, that show this way ain't working.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
hawkfan68":150mxdge said:
Seahawks spending some green on St. Patty's day!! :irishdrinkers:
It's short for Saint Patrick's Day, not Saint Patricia's Day. It's Paddy, not Patty.

Carry on. ;)

kf3339

Reaction score
ringless":2ijxmyp0 said:
Seanhawk":2ijxmyp0 said:
sdog1981":2ijxmyp0 said:

Then again who is to say he would take the Dallas line and want to "fix it" his way, and completely screw it up?