Seahawks vrs Dolphins..Week 1.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
:greetingsearthling: Quality post.

Djphinfan":2moejh9x said:
Now I know you have a freakin magician back there but I believe we can break your protection down and chase all day..The problem is thats when wilson is at his best..outside rushers need to contain while Suh and Phillips get interior pressure on a inexperienced interior line of yours..

If you go with that game plan, you will get burned. NFC (especially NFCW) teams have pretty much learned their lesson and don't try this anymore.

Wilson is not contained by asymmetric pressure. If you hold the edges and overload the middle, he will squirt outside the pocket and burn you downfield with his legs or his arm. Your edge rushers won't be able to contain him. You may have better success if you give him a reasonable pocket and bring pressure from the edges, but his pocket game has really picked up of late.

Your best bet is symmetric pressure collapsing the pocket with four and dropping into coverage. That is how teams have had the most success.

You are generally right, your D-line should be significantly better than our O-line, but we really don't know what we have in our line, and we won't until the season starts.

Jimmy Graham and Marshawn Lynch did not figure into any of the success that we had last season. In no way will their loss be an excuse if we are less of a team than we were down the stretch last year.

I'm not worried with how our defense matches up with your offense.

I suspect we come out with a totally vanilla game plan and try to bash and slash our way through the first half with our new stable of running backs. I expect a fairly close game until the second half when Wilson lights up your worn out secondary.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Djphinfan":2jv7b81x said:
Atradees":2jv7b81x said:
if Jimmy Graham doesn't play, and Lynch we know is gone, thats two big weapons missing from the arsenal.

True but I think Paul Richardson is the x factor. He was playing great in 2014 before getting an acl. If healthy (which may be a big if) and on form he along with Baldwin and Lockett could be scary.

We have no idea what we have at RB outwith Rawls who wasn't a major drop off from Lynch before he got hurt and Michael who may not make the team depending on how the rookies do in preseason.

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
chris98251":104pfjcn said:
Djphinfan":104pfjcn said:
EverydayImRusselin":104pfjcn said:
I agree. If the coaches stick with the quick strike passing game, the OL issue becomes a much smaller deal. If they try to force the long developing pass plays down Miamis throat I think it will be a much more difficult game than it needs to be. I will be watching to see how the OL handles the interior pressure of Suh, as guys like Donald and Short were able to successfully wreck our gameplan.
our corners and secondary are gonna be playing a lot of cover three, which I believe is what y'all play over here..press and release on the crossing stuff..

We have a top 5 safety in the league in Reshad Jones, He loves to hangout in the box and hit people, kinda like Chancellor, do you think with our press style it may be hard for you guys to run a quick passing game..Maxwell presses well no?

The offense will run, but I think we screen and find the TE's a lot more now, also our players have practiced against the Cover three now for 5 years, nobody knows how to break it down better then Pete.

It will come down to how well the line comes together for us in pre season, we really don't want Wilson running for his life in the first game of the season.
its a nice feeling though to have that wilson playmaking ability in your back pocket when your oline breaks down..he and Rogers are the best playmakers at the position..

havent thought about your offense practicing against cover 3 all the time, good point.

we are going to be running the wide 9 defense upfront, this should contain wilson a bit and force things to funnell inside..Plus it can help with the screen game when your guys are spilt that wide..

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
penihawk":2ij62vby said:
Sounds like somebody drank a "Big Gulp" sized cup of Dolphin Kool-aid this off season. :lol:

Seriously though, I like your team on paper but it still is a collection of often hurt and never won anything guys. How many times have we seen paper dynasties suck on the field? Having said that however, your teams success or lack there of will come down to the QB. It is put up or get out time for Tannehill. If he elevates to the next level, they have a legit shot week 1 and the entire season. If not its the same old Dolphins.

As far as the Hawks go, we did move on from some guys but I think we have improved our roster depth back to SB level again to go with a core group that knows how to win football games when all healthy. But much like your team and every team for that matter its about the QB. Wilson, imo, will elevate his game to elite level this year as this team becomes centered around him. We will still run the ball often & well but I think its Wilson's baby now with much more freedoms at the los to get us out of negative plays before they happen. Our defense, if healthy, will be top 5 and supply lots of problems for Tannehill wk 1.

Should be a great game! :D
You could say im drinking Gases koolaid but thats kind of weird and freaky..

seriously This dude has a lot of support from players around the league, especially Peyton Manning, he's called him a ''genuis'' amongst other superlatives..

I think you sound like a guy who has an elite QB who's gonna just take care of everything if it goes bad, and I have to tell you, I dont blame you, he is that good, but the loss of graham and Lynch should be felt a little.It allows us to spend more time watching wilson then those two..Their replacements are not matchup nightmares, Lynchs talent demands an extra man in the box..

As far as Tannehill goes, pressure is on this year, but he's got a nice array of talent on the front line and plenty of weapons..Hoefully they run him more, and he runs on his own more.

Thats one tip for ya, the perception is ryan tannehill is this athletic guy, nahh, the guy ran past the LOS on his own accord about 8 times last year....8....Ive seen Wilson do it 5 times in a game..He understands the importance of the threat, our qb does not..Now there are some that think he was coached to stay in the pocket but im not buying it.

Its a deal breaker this year if he doesn't show that sense.

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
hawker84":2fh7gg4m said:
Djphinfan":2fh7gg4m said:
Atradees":2fh7gg4m said:
I think its interesting that the Dolphins are starting Turnstile at guard. We are starting Ifedi at guard. It seems to be the recipe for guys learning how to play out of the "stance". We have a monstrous offensive line with zero real time real games together planned for this year and basically they are all geared towards run blocking. Wilson will have to rely on the quick pass options early; then sneak in a bomb or two after the Dolphins are reeling from the run gashes. Of course Houdini also rushes....

I think BB coming back as the "Boom" should be interesting. He created tons of turnovers wreckin havac with violent collisions. This staff will place Browner in a spot to be effective. I cant wait to see what our new DL additions might bring.

It seems as if a few older additions to the Fins DL are gonna have to gel first and actually make that comeback.

So yes; the Dolphins DL is formidable on paper. The Seahawks OL will still be raw and learning.

Wilson over Tannehill...I will take that every time. (2 picks of Tannehill minimum)
Wilson is deadly and I have made the case that his threat to run on the read option, his elite escapability talent , is just what keeps defenders hesitating and watching his every move, which opens up the run game for whoever is running the ball.

our weakest area on the team is corner..we have 1 player we know can play at this level...1...not good..

1st year in the offense scares me with the crowd noise.

however, if Jimmy Graham doesn't play, and Lynch we know is gone, thats two big weapons missing from the arsenal.

First, thanks for the quality post, enjoy seeing other teams fans coming over and talking football. Really sound like you love and follow your team close. My boss is a Dolphin fan, and he's passionate about his Dolphins, so good to see.

Second, yes Losing Graham and Lynch is a big deal don't get me wrong, both potential HOF talents. But let's not forget, we did not have the service of either for most of last season, and rolled just fine. We now see what Baldwin, RW and Rawls can really do when given the opportunity. Rawls coming back will just add to that. Lockett and kearse are formidable to say the least, and we now have a legit in-line blocker at TE who can catch as well, and a third down back that is deadly running and catching balls. If RW gets any kind of time back there it's curtains. Your only hope is that our O-line is a disaster and RW is constantly under fire. Barring injury, it will be a close game only because our Coaching staff will wait till the second half to take the training wheels off as usual and let RW go to work. Your D-line looks very good though, I have to say that, and I'm extremely impressed with your receivers. Tannehill is a decent QB, but I think our defense will be a bad match up for him. Hears to a great game and injury free....
you too man.

Is Rawls supposed to be back in time for camp or regular season?, also what was his injury?

man Lockett is good..I had a good friend that is a Kstate alum and very tied into the coaching staff there and was telling me pre draft about Lockett every day..said the staff was convinced there was no better human being on the planet, lol, just a joy off the field, very driven, very spiritual, and obviously very very good at football..I had him mocked to us in my draft..didn't work out.

If Wilson gets time were toast, we don't have enough experience at corner to hold up, I mean besides Max, 2 thru 5, the most inexperienced group in the league.

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":1z1svbg7 said:
I'm a natural pessimist but I've had a funny feeling about the Week 1 Dolphin's game. I think they maybe better than many think.
I def think were better, no homer here..I mean the oline we put out after Albert and James went out last year, for half a season was pathetic..Ryan is 7 and 1 when Pouncey, Albert and James play together..well, their all healthy and this kid Tunsil is a freak, the game is easy for him, and he will play left guard next to albert..

Its the main reason why we will be better on offense..We improved the receiver unit.

would your defense be the same without Wagner?

awesome player..handles it all...well, Kiko is a instinctive fast Mike so it can change everything..

Im confident were a better team, but I understand how good your defense and wilson is..the only chance is overwhelming your inexperienced oline with superior talent across from them..Its our only chance.

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":1dqvcdb3 said:
Watching Boise State here in the area, Ya Ajayi is a good to great player. Has the moves that imitate Beasty. You all got a good one on your hands there. I think it will be a tough matchup between our front line as they are gonna be kinda new with each other and your defensive line. Could be a great chess match. Hopefully it does not turn into checkers and you have all the kings. A friend of mine in this area is a Phinfan. I am sure he is waiting with baited breath for this matchup. Good luck to both teams.

Yeah I too was a fan of Ajayi coming out, last year he played at 230, and it showed, he's now 218 and wants the job of starting back very much..He has a lot of talent and no signs of the knee mystery that made him drop in college, even though he put up record breaking running back numbers his last year, almost 2500 total..

He tends to hold the ball a little loose, but he will be on the field all three downs.

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
bigskydoc":u0n7e9v8 said:
:greetingsearthling: Quality post.

Djphinfan":u0n7e9v8 said:
Now I know you have a freakin magician back there but I believe we can break your protection down and chase all day..The problem is thats when wilson is at his best..outside rushers need to contain while Suh and Phillips get interior pressure on a inexperienced interior line of yours..

If you go with that game plan, you will get burned. NFC (especially NFCW) teams have pretty much learned their lesson and don't try this anymore.

Wilson is not contained by asymmetric pressure. If you hold the edges and overload the middle, he will squirt outside the pocket and burn you downfield with his legs or his arm. Your edge rushers won't be able to contain him. You may have better success if you give him a reasonable pocket and bring pressure from the edges, but his pocket game has really picked up of late.

Your best bet is symmetric pressure collapsing the pocket with four and dropping into coverage. That is how teams have had the most success.

You are generally right, your D-line should be significantly better than our O-line, but we really don't know what we have in our line, and we won't until the season starts.

Jimmy Graham and Marshawn Lynch did not figure into any of the success that we had last season. In no way will their loss be an excuse if we are less of a team than we were down the stretch last year.

I'm not worried with how our defense matches up with your offense.

I suspect we come out with a totally vanilla game plan and try to bash and slash our way through the first half with our new stable of running backs. I expect a fairly close game until the second half when Wilson lights up your worn out secondary.

When I study Wilson, and believe me I study him, he can brake the pocket any time he wants, with any type of front, I meant if we can contain him from getting to the perimeter, as in do not go full metal jacket on the edge rush, its the right way, no?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Djphinfan":1hgnvx8v said:
Seahawkfan80":1hgnvx8v said:
Watching Boise State here in the area, Ya Ajayi is a good to great player. Has the moves that imitate Beasty. You all got a good one on your hands there. I think it will be a tough matchup between our front line as they are gonna be kinda new with each other and your defensive line. Could be a great chess match. Hopefully it does not turn into checkers and you have all the kings. A friend of mine in this area is a Phinfan. I am sure he is waiting with baited breath for this matchup. Good luck to both teams.

Yeah I too was a fan of Ajayi coming out, last year he played at 230, and it showed, he's now 218 and wants the job of starting back very much..He has a lot of talent and no signs of the knee mystery that made him drop in college, even though he put up record breaking running back numbers his last year, almost 2500 total..

He tends to hold the ball a little loose, but he will be on the field all three downs.

That is what dropped him in status. If he could learn to tuck it better and protect it...Look out.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Djphinfan":50gt2wqq said:
Atradees":50gt2wqq said:
I think its interesting that the Dolphins are starting Turnstile at guard. We are starting Ifedi at guard. It seems to be the recipe for guys learning how to play out of the "stance". We have a monstrous offensive line with zero real time real games together planned for this year and basically they are all geared towards run blocking. Wilson will have to rely on the quick pass options early; then sneak in a bomb or two after the Dolphins are reeling from the run gashes. Of course Houdini also rushes....

I think BB coming back as the "Boom" should be interesting. He created tons of turnovers wreckin havac with violent collisions. This staff will place Browner in a spot to be effective. I cant wait to see what our new DL additions might bring.

It seems as if a few older additions to the Fins DL are gonna have to gel first and actually make that comeback.

So yes; the Dolphins DL is formidable on paper. The Seahawks OL will still be raw and learning.

Wilson over Tannehill...I will take that every time. (2 picks of Tannehill minimum)
Wilson is deadly and I have made the case that his threat to run on the read option, his elite escapability talent , is just what keeps defenders hesitating and watching his every move, which opens up the run game for whoever is running the ball.

our weakest area on the team is corner..we have 1 player we know can play at this level...1...not good..

however, if Jimmy Graham doesn't play, and Lynch we know is gone, thats two big weapons missing from the arsenal.

But you could also argue that these weapons aren't a big loss. Think of this Lynch was a non-factor last year and still Seattle was a top 3 rushing team. Jimmy Graham went down with injury in the Steelers game. From then onward SEattle's offense exploded. Which is to say neither of these 2 players were playing when Seattle and Russell went on an epic run last year with a truly explosive offense.

As has been mentioned the 1st half of seasons (historically) Seattle has been very conservative resulting in tight games decided in the 4th QTR. The 2nd half of the year Seattle has seen a significant jump in productivity and explosiveness. If Seattle can hit the ground running as opposed to crawling, then Seattle will be very tough to beat. The schedule is set up nicely for Seattle to start much faster than in year's past.

Lastly, The last time Seattle played Miami was in Miami in the heat. Seattle's one major weakness has been playing in hot (and humid) games early in the season. Since this is a home game it's a significant advantage to Seattle. If this game were in Miami I think it would be a much close and intense game.

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
jlwaters1":3490ssrn said:
Djphinfan":3490ssrn said:
Atradees":3490ssrn said:

But you could also argue that these weapons aren't a big loss. Think of this Lynch was a non-factor last year and still Seattle was a top 3 rushing team. Jimmy Graham went down with injury in the Steelers game. From then onward SEattle's offense exploded. Which is to say neither of these 2 players were playing when Seattle and Russell went on an epic run last year with a truly explosive offense.

As has been mentioned the 1st half of seasons (historically) Seattle has been very conservative resulting in tight games decided in the 4th QTR. The 2nd half of the year Seattle has seen a significant jump in productivity and explosiveness. If Seattle can hit the ground running as opposed to crawling, then Seattle will be very tough to beat. The schedule is set up nicely for Seattle to start much faster than in year's past.

Lastly, The last time Seattle played Miami was in Miami in the heat. Seattle's one major weakness has been playing in hot (and humid) games early in the season. Since this is a home game it's a significant advantage to Seattle. If this game were in Miami I think it would be a much close and intense game.

goodness, Wilsons last half of the season should be recognized, he had like a 26/1 td to int, thats just ridiculous..

Idk, maybe a player cannot keep up that type of pace, maybe he felt like he had to do everything...and did, but can that pace last?, will there be some sort of regression there when you have more game tape to study, and less weapons for a longer period of time..

Basically your saying talent around Wilson doesn't matter...You just cant be as good without those two players because their replacements aren't as good.

That being said, if there was one guy I would take to deal with that, its your guy.

Its not freakin fair, and I say that because no team should of let that kid drop out of the first round..He was the easiest eval ever.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Djphinfan":4tmjtish said:
jlwaters1":4tmjtish said:
Djphinfan":4tmjtish said:
Atradees":4tmjtish said:

goodness, Wilsons last half of the season should be recognized, he had like a 26/1 td to int, thats just ridiculous..

Idk, maybe a player cannot keep up that type of pace, maybe he felt like he had to do everything...and did, but can that pace last?, will there be some sort of regression there when you have more game tape to study, and less weapons for a longer period of time..

Basically your saying talent around Wilson doesn't matter...You just cant be as good without those two players because their replacements aren't as good.

That being said, if there was one guy I would take to deal with that, its your guy.

Its not freakin fair, and I say that because no team should of let that kid drop out of the first round..He was the easiest eval ever.

Thomas Rawls would have been offensive rookie of the year had a Raven not fallen on his ankle. He would have beat out Gurley for the prize as an undrafted free agent.

My point is to say that Russell Wilson, like so many of the great QB's (Manning, Brees, Brady, Rodgers) elevate the play of the players around him. You saw Doug Baldwin turn into a star and rookie Tyler Lockett becomming a reliable threat after Graham's Injury. RW is best when he's allowed to spread it around. When Graham was healthy they were trying to hard to get him the ball. By having "No elite" threats RW was allowed to just fire away to the open man regardless. That's part of the reason the open took off.

Wilson should start the year off in a better place they he had at any point in his career. He probably won't be to the level he ended 2015 with, but reports are he's getting the ball out quick and he's even more decisive in his decision making. Sherman has commented that RW is better from what he's seen in OTA's. It should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Clearly if Seattle jumps out to a early lead they game will become lopsided. If they keep the game close into the 4th quarter than anything can happen.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
A rather fundamental shift in our offensive approach happened last year.

With all his gifts, Wilson was trying to do too much. He was scrambling until his receivers were open, resulting in way too much work for an unsettled offensive line. The result was sacks and holding penalties. Marshawn Lynch commented that we didn't look like Seattle out there.

Then our OC had a talk with Wilson about having more trust in the guys around him. Rather than extending until they were open, trust them to make a play. From that point on, Wilson released the ball much more quickly. The line was able to buy him enough time to pass. Holding penalties declined. Receivers did make those plays - Baldwin led the league in TD receptions.

Simultaneously, Lockett took on more of a role in the offense, and proved to be an explosive receiver. Wilson had a 5-game stretch in which he became the first player in NFL history to throw 3 or more TD passes in each without giving up a single interception. His lowest QB rating over that period was 128.

Richardson makes Lockett look slow. With him back, adding to Baldwin and Lockett, our receivers become very respectable even if they are not household names.

All this happened without Graham, so not having Graham to start the season is a non-factor.

Our defense is what it has been over the past 4 years - the most difficult to score against in the NFL.

Then there's the other group no one has really addressed thus far: Special teams. Lockett consistently gives us excellent field position. When we do give up the ball, Ryan is among the best punters in the NFL. Hauschka is one of the best kickers. Our coverage teams are littered with starters making it one of the most effective cover units around. Combine that with an efficient offense that doesn't turn the ball over, and we will generally win the field-position battle, which in turn feeds into the hands of our defense.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":1g8ps6l5 said:
I'm a natural pessimist but I've had a funny feeling about the Week 1 Dolphin's game. I think they maybe better than many think.
With due respect to our opponent, the Hawks are going to cream them .

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Djphinfan":1f93jzpd said:
jlwaters1":1f93jzpd said:
Djphinfan":1f93jzpd said:
Atradees":1f93jzpd said:

Quite simply if Wilson was two inches taller he's a Redskin and not a Seahawk.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I'm a little nervous about a few things for the start of the season but then I always am.

There has been much talk of a scheme change to the defense. Going big dime to cut down on the first down passing success opponents had on us last year as well as TE's. Big Dime sounds like a great plan but it has to be implemented successfully or it will hurt us and communication will be a big part of it which we might actually hurt ourselves being so loud at the clink. This has been mentioned by Seahawks players at times. They can struggle to communicate with each other when the crowd goes crazy before a snap.

The offensive line for obvious reasons.

Will Vannett really be a dominant blocker right out of the gate?

How will Procise play? Will it take him a few weeks or possibly longer to get up to speed?

Will we start the season off slow and try and force the run game without Lynch?

Will Rawls make it back and be the same RB?

Will Jimmy make and impact this year?

The list goes on and on.

On paper we got better and all things considered should dominate the game but as anyone knows the game isn't played on paper.

I like our chances and I'm very excited for this season but I doubt it is going to just be a cakewalk. We will have struggles and hopefully they are not enough to have us staring at a 500 record half way through the season like last year.

Great post and write up on your strengths and weaknesses. Good luck this year except against us of course but even that game I hope your team leaves healthy, With their heads hanging a little but healthy.

If it makes you feel any better on the 9ers boards they are predicting a Miami win.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
RichNhansom":jec7mxlo said:
I'm a little nervous about a few things for the start of the season but then I always am.

There has been much talk of a scheme change to the defense. Going big dime to cut down on the first down passing success opponents had on us last year as well as TE's. Big Dime sounds like a great plan but it has to be implemented successfully or it will hurt us and communication will be a big part of it which we might actually hurt ourselves being so loud at the clink. This has been mentioned by Seahawks players at times. They can struggle to communicate with each other when the crowd goes crazy before a snap.

How will Procise play? Will it take him a few weeks or possibly longer to get up to speed?

The list goes on and on.

On paper we got better and all things considered should dominate the game but as anyone knows the game isn't played on paper.

I like our chances and I'm very excited for this season but I doubt it is going to just be a cakewalk. We will have struggles and hopefully they are not enough to have us staring at a 500 record half way through the season like last year.

Great post and write up on your strengths and weaknesses. Good luck this year except against us of course but even that game I hope your team leaves healthy, With their heads hanging a little but healthy.

If it makes you feel any better on the 9ers boards they are predicting a Miami win.

This brings up another big point. We haven'the had a good blocking TE since Miller retired. If Vannett is as good as they say he is this should help the OL immensely.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3ew24f2o said:

The list goes on and on.

1. Agree
2. I'm confident the answer is yes
3. He will be a huge reason among a couple others that Wilson will be the engine on this team like he already should have been anyway.
4. No idea, I know what I'd do but I'm not the HC
5. Yes
6. Yes

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
To Jwaters {site wouldn't let me quote because of to many quotes within the body of your post..thats what it said basically}

I truly understand how good wilson is, but if I may make this point, I believe the game is played with spacing concepts that favor the winner, for example, great threats like Graham and Lynch, make defenders surrender space, space that lesser players do not occupy..

So while I agree that wilson can make chicken salad out of you know what, at some point, loss of talent catches up to everyone, because there is less space to work with and out of..The lesser the talent around you the more the defenders can pay attention to you.