Seahawks waive 6th rder Garrett Scott due to Heart Condition

Basis4day

Reaction score
Scary. Glad they were able to catch it before something tragic happened.

chris98251

Reaction score
There was another team that had a player with a heart condition, he was able to get a surgery done and then come back the next year and made the roster I thought. Good for the Seahawks and happy for the kid. Hopefully it's a correctable situation and he can continue his dream and be a Seahawk in the future.

bandiger

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":2qlf4p11 said:
He wasn't signed so they could "do him a favor" or as a "nice/cool gesture." By signing him they can now waive him with the NFI designation, then after he clears waivers, he can be placed on I.R. so that the Seahawks keep him and can use the time between now and next season to determine if he's able to return to football, as JS alluded to in his comments today.

Hope for the best for this guy.

kf3339

Reaction score
That's a quality move by the franchise. I wish the young man good luck in his medical issue and for his future.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
Hopefully the kid can first and foremost get healthy and that this isn't a career killer for him.

chet380

Reaction score
If his heart problem is correctable with surgery, it's entirely conceivable that he would able to return in 12 months (sez an open-heart vet),

In any event, as any heart treatments are hugely expensive, kudos to the Hawks for the help they are giving this kid.

seabowl

Reaction score
Not to put a damper on this story but aren't teams supposed to find this kind of stuff out PRIOR to drafting a guy? If we were in the Ruskell years people would have been destroying this.

Killa Kam

Reaction score
Isnt this what kind of happened with Ryan Swope and the Cardinals last year except it was concussion issues, as much as I want to complain , I feel terrible for the kid. I wonder if this is a career ender or something that can be fixed with a procedure/medication

jammerhawk

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":6xppusey said:
He wasn't signed so they could "do him a favor" or as a "nice/cool gesture." By signing him they can now waive him with the NFI designation, then after he clears waivers, he can be placed on I.R. so that the Seahawks keep him and can use the time between now and next season to determine if he's able to return to football, as JS alluded to in his comments today.

I guess the point was the team didn't need to sign him and could have Ruskelled him like he did to WR- Urban before the players revolted. In fact other organizations may have simply cut the player loose, our guys do stuff better.

The team of course will now be able to keep the right to re-sign Garrett Scott after he has the surgery it appears he may need. AS JS indicated, Garrett Scott may be back.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
seabowl":a28tpybp said:
Not to put a damper on this story but aren't teams supposed to find this kind of stuff out PRIOR to drafting a guy? If we were in the Ruskell years people would have been destroying this.

He wasn't a combine invite, so the league didn't medically evaluate him unless by a team's doctor during an official visit (which Seattle didn't do). If he was a lower round pick I would understand people's frustration, but they can't bring bring in every late-round prospect that wasn't a combine invite.

What's interesting to me is that Garrett Scott had pre-draft visits with at least a few teams I could find: Dolphins, Bengals, and Chiefs. If one of those teams kept his medical issue to to themselves that's pretty cold move.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
This is a great day for this young man only because since he had a chance to make a team he went through these tests.

I hope that he gets on the medication he needs to be to live a long and happy life. We'll find a player somewhere else.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Shades of Frankie Telfort at USC. He was a highly-prized LB recruit who never got to play because USC's doctors discovered a rare heart condition. USC continued to give him a scholarship anyway and even made him a student-coach. He graduated in 2012 or 2013--can't remember which.

In Frankie's case the docs said he could never risk playing again. Hopefully Garrett's condition has a better prognosis.

impacthawk

Reaction score
Not sure if any of you follow outside football blogs in general....but this story is absolutely blowing up with football fans all over the country. Virtually every story and every reply thread is commending the Seahawks Organization for stepping up for this young man. Life long fans of other teams are converting to Seahawk fans left and right. It's truly remarkable to be a fan of a world class organization that is doing it's level best to put honor and humility above money and allowing Garrett Scott to leave with dignity.

I solute you Seattle Seahawks.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
seabowl":eaye93nq said:
Remember when Ruskell drafted and long snapper IN the six round only for them to discover an issue and never played for Seattle... The thing that people should take comfort in is that Gilliam had a 6th round grade, but. get got him as an undrafted player. He will have a shot to add depth to the tackle position

-The Glove-

Reaction score
seabowl":owgedozf said:

Not really. He wasn't invited to the combine so he didn't get all of the extra testing from NFL doctors.

A

Anonymous

Bigpumpkin":31p9zqri said:
DavidSeven":31p9zqri said:
KitsapGuy":31p9zqri said:
Curtis Crabtree ‏@Curtis_Crabtree 7m
Actually a pretty cool move by Seattle. By signing Scott, it likely entitles him to receive his signing bonus despite not playing.

Zach Whitman ‏@Cablinasian 28s
@DavisHsuSeattle also gives him insurance for the year, apparently.

I was wondering if that was a possibility. Class act those Hawks!

A Class Act is so much better than Class Action.... :mrgreen:

Wish you the best Garrett.

Did I mention I love being a Seahawks fan?

Latest posts