Seahawks were going to trade Earl for a 2nd

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1yxrfwnt said:
MontanaHawk05":1yxrfwnt said:
The people on this board who are strutting around giving their own middle finger to Earl over his desire for a new contract...well, it's just all very silly. Nobody who signs a contract to work in a cubicle faces the danger of suddenly losing the ability to do their job because of something inherent TO their job.

I work in the medical field. I've seen SARS take down nurses and doctors several years back.

I've seen heavy equipment operators lose limbs and eyes. I've seen people that drive for a living have life altering motor vehicle accidents with TBI, neck and back injuries.

Sure the cubicle workers are safe but there are tonnes of dangerous professions out there making relatively low wages given the danger. Football isn't even remotely high up in the danger per dollar earned scale.

Earl Thomas has broken 2 bones and separated his shoulder over 7 years while making 56 million dollars. I've had more injuries just playing rec sports in my life (3 concussions, 1 fractured clavicle, 7 shoulder dislocations, 2 bruised kidneys). I just sadly wasn't born with Earl's physical gifts so my injuries didn't garner any money.

Be grateful Earl.
Exactly, so sick and tired of hearing how football players put their lives and bodies on the line like they are the only ones or that they aren't being well compensated for it. Or as if they didn't agree to it because they want that money.

His animosity is not warranted and speaks of the mentality that is so present in sports.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3tditthm said:
Spin Doctor":3tditthm said:
MontanaHawk05":3tditthm said:
Didn't see this anywhere...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1046844035350974464[/tweet]

Shame for everyone. Earl was seeking long-term security against just this kind of injury. Seattle was seeking the ability to keep paying other defensive superstars in coming years. Both had a legitimate case. Eventually, timing decided the stare-down.

The people on this board who are strutting around giving their own middle finger to Earl over his desire for a new contract...well, it's just all very silly. Nobody who signs a contract to work in a cubicle faces the danger of suddenly losing the ability to do their job because of something inherent TO their job.
There are plenty of jobs out there that are more dangerous than football. Those guys don't get paid nearly what Thomas gets paid.

By implying that they should, you're validating Earl's position.
I nether implied that, nor stated that. I'm just simply commentating on his entitlement. He signed a contract, and cries foul when he doesn't get what he wants. He acts like him and his kids are going to go starving when he has 12 lifetimes worth of income at his disposal.

rjdriver

Reaction score
jeremiah":112jix3i said:
lukerguy":112jix3i said:
If the Seahawks were trading Earl then they were essentially admitting they weren't going to be competitors this year. If you're willing to admit that, then why not sit the player to protect the asset... especially when you can make an example of someone who refuses to go to practice.

Logic dictates that if you are looking to trade a player, you sit the player to protect him.

Unless your logic involves winning football games , which ET clearly and undisputedly gives you the best chance to do.

Coaches want to keep their job too so they can "feed their kids".

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05" The people on this board who are strutting around giving their own middle finger to Earl over his desire for a new contract...well said:
Another swing and miss.

Not all of us work in cubicles.

Case in point:

Firefighters
Police Officers
Military
Medical Personnel
Drivers (accidents)

Many choose their professions because of love.

If they get paid an exceptional salary, so much the better.

Earl doesn't seem to realize his good fortune.

kf3339

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1pq89j0l said:
The real shame here is that the Hawks lost out on a 2nd round asset. This is sort of like the stock market and you don't wait until a time when you can lose it all before you pull the trigger. The FO really screwed this one up, but I kind of knew it was going to end up this way. The bad part is that Earl kind of forced the delay with his antics in terms of future contracts for others and locker room dynamic. If he wasn't such a twat publically, he probably would have been traded before TC...maybe the draft. It's kind of ironic that Earl forced the team to save face and now here we are.

If there is blame here, it's really on Earl's very public BS.

:ditto:

Seafan

Reaction score
The Hawks can tag him. Wouldn't hurt. They could put that tag (non-exclusive IIRC) that would give them a pick if another team signs him.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Horrible timing, but we all knew this wouldn't end well I think. IF this is all accurate and the trade was going to happen this week, go figure. And not really a surprise at all the way things have been going lately.

Sign37now

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":ljibo12b said:
MontanaHawk05":ljibo12b said:

Shame for everyone. Earl was seeking long-term security against just this kind of injury. Seattle was seeking the ability to keep paying other defensive superstars in coming years. Both had a legitimate case. Eventually, timing decided the stare-down.

There are plenty of jobs out there that are more dangerous than football. Those guys don't get paid nearly what Thomas gets paid. I'm sorry, I don't have any sort of sympathy for someone that is making 3-4 times what we'll ever see in our entire lifetime in a one year. His contract is worth 12 lifetimes worth of work for most people.

EXACTLY! I make $80,000 a year. Pretty decent money for Central Washington. That means I'd have to work 125 years to make what Earl made in ONE year! And he doesn't have to wear a bullet proof vest to work every day and wonder is some whacko is going to shoot me dead just because he doesn't like police.

Earl can kiss my ass...

jeremiah

Reaction score
Sign37now":z4hxvghm said:
Spin Doctor":z4hxvghm said:
MontanaHawk05":z4hxvghm said:

There are plenty of jobs out there that are more dangerous than football. Those guys don't get paid nearly what Thomas gets paid. I'm sorry, I don't have any sort of sympathy for someone that is making 3-4 times what we'll ever see in our entire lifetime in a one year. His contract is worth 12 lifetimes worth of work for most people.

EXACTLY! I make $80,000 a year. Pretty decent money for Central Washington. That means I'd have to work 125 years to make what Earl made in ONE year! And he doesn't have to wear a bullet proof vest to work every day and wonder is some whacko is going to shoot me dead just because he doesn't like police.

Earl can kiss my ass...

Police officer I am guessing. Thank you for your service. The people who protect us on the home front are every bit as valuable and maybe more than the military. In many cases, it is an extension of military service, as those who come back choose to continue. My Brother in Law is one who served, then joined the police force after. There is no more honest or serious person I have met.

Seymour

Reaction score
vin.couve12":aqlc8mcs said:
The real shame here is that the Hawks lost out on a 2nd round asset. This is sort of like the stock market and you don't wait until a time when you can lose it all before you pull the trigger. The FO really screwed this one up, but I kind of knew it was going to end up this way. The bad part is that Earl kind of forced the delay with his antics in terms of future contracts for others and locker room dynamic. If he wasn't such a twat publically, he probably would have been traded before TC...maybe the draft. It's kind of ironic that Earl forced the team to save face and now here we are.

If there is blame here, it's really on Earl's very public BS.

Norm for Pete and John.

We are on the receiving end of the long cold steel shaft on every major trade or trade attempt and many FA moves.

This is in large a major reason this team is in the situation they are which includes last season going all in on an aging team that was heading down the drain. :pukeface:

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
BleuEyedHawk":1t13x840 said:
MontanaHawk05":1t13x840 said:

Another swing and miss.

Not all of us work in cubicles.

Case in point:

Firefighters
Police Officers
Military
Medical Personnel
Drivers (accidents)

Many choose their professions because of love.

If they get paid an exceptional salary, so much the better.

Earl doesn't seem to realize his good fortune.

Populist sentiment.

Everyone you just listed except drivers (that's what we have insurance for) should make more, and I can't believe you left out teachers.

I did four years in the military myself, by the way, so Sign37 doesn't have a corner on hazardous service.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
jeremiah":36v7m4ge said:
bmorepunk":36v7m4ge said:
There aren't jobs out there "as dangerous" as football when you factor in the risk of losing all ability to earn income, pretty much from anything (because you wasted your life playing football and are mostly useless anywhere else). Sure, being a logger or a commercial fisherman has a higher fatality rate, but the probability that you'll be able to work a 20-30 year career doing it is way higher.

Unless maybe you're an infantryman trying to make it to retirement. Then we could make some comparisons.

A football player can become a garbage man, car salesman, house painter, logger, truck driver, auto mechanic or ditch digger. How are they useless? I shattered my ankle working on roofs, and can no longer climb ladders. You improvise, adapt and move on to something YOU CAN do.
But... but, aren't we are suppose to perceive them as "One Trick Ponies"?
Dr. Doornick? :stirthepot: