Seattle a "run-first" team?

Hawks46

Reaction score
We're going to run a lot, but I think Marshawn got a bit worn down at the end of the year, thus the fumbles.

With Michael, Turbin having another year, Harvin and our two FB's, we're not going to back down, we're just going to rest the Beast a bit more.

Harvin just adds so much versatility, it's going to be a lot more unpredictable. Throw in some read option plays, and mix it up, and we're good.

Funny thing, we ran the ball a ton last year...but when we went to throw, we'd go 5 wide and THROW. We're so versatile, we have effective formations in play action, 2 TE sets, 3 + WR sets, and the Pistol. I'd hate to be a DC facing this team next year.

gspin2k1

Reaction score
volsunghawk":275fzo27 said:
I think the sense that we are a "run-first" team comes from the fact that we had the most rushing attempts of any team in the league last season and the fewest passing attempts. Seriously, 1st and 32nd. Polar opposites.

Now, when we DID pass, our yards per attempt were top 10 in the league. So while we passed fewer times than any other team, we made the most of it when we did.

Well technically if you have the most rushing attempts, you should have the least passing attempts. Assuming most teams get about the same touches on the ball.

Sac

Reaction score
gspin2k1":1y3l6mkm said:
volsunghawk":1y3l6mkm said:
I think the sense that we are a "run-first" team comes from the fact that we had the most rushing attempts of any team in the league last season and the fewest passing attempts. Seriously, 1st and 32nd. Polar opposites.

Now, when we DID pass, our yards per attempt were top 10 in the league. So while we passed fewer times than any other team, we made the most of it when we did.

Well technically if you have the most rushing attempts, you should have the least passing attempts. Assuming most teams get about the same touches on the ball.

We could have the most rushing yards and good passing numbers if the D shuts people down and we have the ball 35+ minutes power game.

hawk45

Reaction score
I love having a team that can rush effectively, and clearly Pete does as well. I'm betting we stay very balanced. The key is, in the first games last year they'd rush in situations where a pass would have been more effective because they wanted to bring RW along slowly. Towards the end, they'd still rush a lot, however when the pass was open they'd open the throttle on it to great result.

Count me in as one who feels that the omnipresent running threat really helps RW kill it when the opportunity presents itself. Freeze the LBs and ball it.

kearly

Reaction score
Basically, there are two reasons to run the ball: to open up the passing game and to end the game with fewer plays/drives for both teams.

In basketball you see this exact same concept of shortening the game. Teams with 15 point leads in the NBA tend to wait until the final seconds of the shot clock before attempting a basket. By doing so, they reduce the number of total possessions left in the game which means fewer chances for a comeback by the opponent. This probably explains why 300 yard passers historically only win half their games, whereas 100 yard rushers win most of them.

sutz

Reaction score
Good comments all. I'd like to add that while we are a "run first" team, we can (and have on several occasions) air it out and overcome large point deficits when they occur.

This gives the team confidence. In today's game, a lot of coaches will panic if they can't move the ball and get behind by a couple of scores. We know we can play catch up ball effectively. If necessary, we can keep up with high scoring offenses.

Plus, our run game is explosive enough that we don't have to completely abandon it if we're behind on the scoreboard.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
WIth the fluidity of Wilson and PErcy, I don't think that PC see's much difference in dumping off to Percy as to handing off to Lynch.

Too, there will plenty of opps where Percy will be in the backfield with Russ and Lynch.

It will be an awesome and dynamic a offense as seen in the NFL.. ever.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
I'd like to see one successful Superbowl win attempt per post-season in 2013 season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tical21

Reaction score
kearly":358ob6hb said:
Basically, there are two reasons to run the ball: to open up the passing game and to end the game with fewer plays/drives for both teams.

In basketball you see this exact same concept of shortening the game. Teams with 15 point leads in the NBA tend to wait until the final seconds of the shot clock before attempting a basket. By doing so, they reduce the number of total possessions left in the game which means fewer chances for a comeback by the opponent. This probably explains why 300 yard passers historically only win half their games, whereas 100 yard rushers win most of them.
Points taken, and agreed with, but I don't think either one of those are really why one would prefer to run the football. The first is that typically running the ball is safer. Less can go wrong. The second is to physically intimidate and impose your will on an opposing defense. For this reason, I think that if it was possible to run the ball 100% of the time, Carroll would do it. Sadly, you need to pass the ball some to be successful running the football. That said, the emphasis will always be on running the ball effectively while Carroll is our coach. Running all over a team demoralizes them in a way that passing all over them doesn't. You feel like you got run over. This matches Carroll's personality more so than a finesse game would. He doesn't want to just beat you, he wants to take your heart out and step on it, put it back in, shake hands and thank you for the competition with a smile.

It took a long time last season before we started throwing routinely on 1st and 2nd down. That will change, but only to open up the running game. I also agree with JSeahawks, run-first is more of a mentality than a statistical trend. The game just doesn't work the same way. Passing teams score points.

General Manager

Reaction score
Tical21":4oywtq7h said:
kearly":4oywtq7h said:

Points taken, and agreed with, but I don't think either one of those are really why one would prefer to run the football. The first is that typically running the ball is safer. Less can go wrong. The second is to physically intimidate and impose your will on an opposing defense. For this reason, I think that if it was possible to run the ball 100% of the time, Carroll would do it. Sadly, you need to pass the ball some to be successful running the football. That said, the emphasis will always be on running the ball effectively while Carroll is our coach. Running all over a team demoralizes them in a way that passing all over them doesn't. You feel like you got run over. This matches Carroll's personality more so than a finesse game would. He doesn't want to just beat you, he wants to take your heart out and step on it, put it back in, shake hands and thank you for the competition with a smile.

It took a long time last season before we started throwing routinely on 1st and 2nd down. That will change, but only to open up the running game. I also agree with JSeahawks, run-first is more of a mentality than a statistical trend. The game just doesn't work the same way. Passing teams score points.

I would add running the ball to take time off the clock as well.

HolyEffinMoses

Reaction score
I know its kinda been covered but I just wanted to add my two pennies.

If anything our off-season acquisitions point right towards us continuing to use our running game to open up the passing game and continue to be a "run first" mentality. Percy Harvin's value comes in his home run play ability, the guy is a YAC machine. Christine Michael is another home run threat, he's a one cut and go guy with a ridiculous top speed that's known for making big time plays. Putting these types of players on the field is going to make defenses have to account for them to not get in space, allowing us to make plays down field to Rice and Tate. Any defenses primary concern against the 'Hawks will have to be stopping the run and home run play ability from the likes of our backs and Harvin.

I will say that Chris Harper is an improvement to the passing game. He'll be a ghost mostly between the 20s, but in the red zone he'll be able to play big and physical and be a threat that has to be accounted for at all times in the end zone. I think they definitely focused on boosting the run first, but also found a way to help out the passing game as well. Carroll and Schneider have built up an offense that will keep defenses on their toes and can beat you in a hundred different ways.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I wish we could all be hanging out in person right now, cuz all I'd do is giggle.

RussellMania

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":37uafm0v said:
gspin2k1":37uafm0v said:
volsunghawk":37uafm0v said:

We could have the most rushing yards and good passing numbers if the D shuts people down and we have the ball 35+ minutes power game.

This is why I think no one on the team should be more excited about all these defensive upgrades than Lynch. If things go to plan he could have a legit shot at 2,000 yards if we control the ball like it seems we're destined to.

jewhawk

Reaction score
I've always considered the idea of running to eat up clock to be absurd. If you're better than your opponent -- in other words, if you can expect your offense to average more points per drive against the opposing defense than the opposing offense can expect to average against your defense -- then you should want to preserve the clock and maximize the number of drives. The ability to sustain long time consuming drives can be useful at times (with a 4th quarter lead or getting the ball with 5:00 left in the 1st half, for example) but as a base offense in situations where the clock/score isn't as much of a factor, running time off the clock should not be a goal.

When our offense struggled early last year, there was a trend of going run-run-3rd and long pass-punt. When the coaches started taking the training wheels off Wilson and calling some passing plays on 1st and 2nd downs, the offense quickly went from one of the league's worst to the league's best. I would expect that to continue this year with a higher percentage of passing plays, especially on 1st downs.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
1. Why would you want to subject a QB to hits via pass rush especially since if you're nursing a lead, the opposing DC will be riding his players to make a play?

2. Running forces the opposition to blow timeouts instead of saving them for a potential game tying/winning drive. Why take the chance that an incomplete pass save them a timeout that in retrospect helps them in a comeback?

3. DBs will get chippier and attempt to strip, accept penalties, and otherwise beat the hell out of fragile receivers at the urging of their DC. Why put the ball into their hands instead of a RB that is paid to absorb abuse and protect the rock?

4. More plays only increase the likelyhood of your team tiring out and sustaining injury.

All great reasons to consider running out the clock with rushing attempts and as few passing attempts as you can manage if you are holding a lead.

hawker84

Reaction score
i agree Ladytalon , run to close out a game.. i would like to see a more balanced attack to start the game.. last season we all saw Run Run Pass, every posession until the second half of the season, we saw this in ATL and WAS as well, until Bevell realized we need to get back into the game, and opened the playbook.. why not do that at the beginning of the game to avoid these large deficits... i'm not saying abandon or go away from running, just mix it up, keep the D on their heels, we have the weapons to do it...

Latest posts