Seattle "aggressive" in its pursuit of Jordy Nelson

original poster

Reaction score
I'm mediocre about this.

If he does sign I'm not convinced I will like the contract.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
King Dog":14yx0l1y said:
I just cried a little looking at our WR and TE group

Agreed it looks really bad right now at the skill postions on Offense those that say otherwise don't know what there talking about. Hopefull they can hit on something in the draft or FA to help otherwise it's going to be a bad year for the Seahawks.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Modern salary cap and CBA lead to roster turnover. While I think Nelson is a stellar player. NE has discovered the key to success. Identify your franchise players, pay them and cap cut everyone else to find young talent that can outplay the aging and overpaid "Big Name" players.

I'm not saying Nelson is a bad player, I'm just saying he isn't worth the kind of cap hit he'd bring.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1y08k983 said:
I'm being one of the few rational, logical people here.

Don't be insulting.

vin.couve12":1y08k983 said:
Carson would have had 10 touchdowns.

First, you don't know that. Graham's touchdowns were generated by his frame and skill. Everyone in this forum was screaming for a big red-zone target for years while our red zone stats languished. Then we got one, he got hurt in 2015, things were weird in 2016, and he finally came through in 2017 with exactly what everyone wanted. And now you think that our red zone performance will just stay right where it was when every year without Graham, including those with Marshawn Lynch, said otherwise? Doug Baldwin wasn't out there averaging 13-14 touchdowns in those days (and I'm curious why you don't think he'll draw more coverage now that he's Seattle's biggest threat).

Second, it's not even enough to just hand his ten touchdowns to someone else. We need sixteen just to get us back to our inadequate 2017 numbers. Over twenty would probably have made 2017 workable, and now we're entering a year where we'll have to win with our offense more often thanks to the offloading of all this defensive talent.

Third, you yourself think Carson is an RB1, so we're not that thin at RB.

mrt144

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":6jj71t8m said:
vin.couve12":6jj71t8m said:

Don't be insulting.

A statement like his is inherently contradictory. What rational and logical person concludes they are the sole possessor of rationality and logic ;)

Seymour

Reaction score
original poster":2x8qxxr1 said:
I'm mediocre about this.

If he does sign I'm not convinced I will like the contract.

That is warmer than I. I think Nelson is washed up and his numbers show the clear decline. You don't spend on players like this and try to build a future, you give a young prospect that shot.

Also, lets not make last years mistake signing guys like Joeckel before TJ Lang, then come up just short on the greater impact player. :177692: :141847_bnono: :177692: :141847_bnono: :177692: :141847_bnono:

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":39nqs462 said:
vin.couve12":39nqs462 said:

Don't be insulting.

vin.couve12":39nqs462 said:
Carson would have had 10 touchdowns.

First, you don't know that. Graham's touchdowns were generated by his frame and skill.

Interesting. I could have sworn Graham had that same "frame and skill" in 2015 and 2016 when he averaged 4 TD's per year.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
mrt144":erp6cra9 said:
MontanaHawk05":erp6cra9 said:
vin.couve12":erp6cra9 said:

Don't be insulting.

A statement like his is inherently contradictory. What rational and logical person concludes they are the sole possessor of rationality and logic ;)
No one said sole possessor. You're trying too hard to be insulted.

mrt144

Reaction score
vin.couve12":13pvqtex said:
mrt144":13pvqtex said:
MontanaHawk05":13pvqtex said:
vin.couve12":13pvqtex said:

Don't be insulting.

No one said sole possessor. You're trying too hard to be insulted.

I have a way higher threshold for being insulted than a dude vigorously patting himself on the back.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/973957660956676099[/tweet]

He'll probably end up with the Saints.

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
Signing free agent receivers or tight ends is a bad idea. By the time Russell Wilson finally gets rapport with them, it is the end of their contract (see Jimmy Graham).

King Dog

Reaction score
vigilantgrrl":2lg29y7c said:
Signing free agent receivers or tight ends is a bad idea. By the time Russell Wilson finally gets rapport with them, it is the end of their contract (see Jimmy Graham).

Signing anyone seems to be a bad idea

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
This will be a solid signing as long as the price is right. Paying him double digits doesn't make sense in my opinion.

chris98251

Reaction score
I would like to see more emphasis on the line before we bring in a bunch of skill set players, your paying for something your not going to get full use and take advantage of if Wilson is looing at the sky all day or running for his life due to no threat of a running game and poor pass blocking.

dutchman063

Reaction score
Feels like a knee-jerk reaction if they sign him...dude isnt near the player he once was and without Rodgers he disappears... draft a receiver

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":3hoxm2jq said:
I would like to see more emphasis on the line before we bring in a bunch of skill set players, your paying for something your not going to get full use and take advantage of if Wilson is looing at the sky all day or running for his life due to no threat of a running game and poor pass blocking.

Exactly. We haven't even talked about replacing "the best guard in the NFL" yet.

They need a good guard next to Brown to give 1 strong side to run to.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Going after a player that Aaron Rodgers made look great seems like the equivalent of signing a former Seahawk CB or a former Saints WR.

How can you measure the actual production based on the #s you are looking at them having now?

How much is the system?

How much is the great QB?

How much is the player themselves?

It is risky but I suppose we are at the stage we have to take risks. And you could argue that GB tends to scout offensive players well, so maybe that is the risk mitigation. But those moves make me nervous, especially when we have no idea what our offense even does well now.

Seymour

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1l9l1syn said:
Going after a player that Aaron Rodgers made look great seems like the equivalent of signing a former Seahawk CB or a former Saints WR.

How can you measure the actual production based on the #s you are looking at them having now?

How much is the system?

How much is the great QB?

How much is the player themselves?

It is risky but I suppose we are at the stage we have to take risks. And you could argue that GB tends to scout offensive players well, so maybe that is the risk mitigation. But those moves make me nervous, especially when we have no idea what our offense even does well now.

What should make you nervous is Pete and Johns attitude to discount the other teams evaluation with guys like Joeckel, Lacy , and Walsh last year, and thinks he "likes them big" (makes rationalizations to promote the stupid moves).