Seattle "aggressive" in its pursuit of Jordy Nelson

chris98251

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2skj6ha3 said:
Going after a player that Aaron Rodgers made look great seems like the equivalent of signing a former Seahawk CB or a former Saints WR.

How can you measure the actual production based on the #s you are looking at them having now?

How much is the system?

How much is the great QB?

How much is the player themselves?

It is risky but I suppose we are at the stage we have to take risks. And you could argue that GB tends to scout offensive players well, so maybe that is the risk mitigation. But those moves make me nervous, especially when we have no idea what our offense even does well now.

New GM there now, it will be interesting to see if he plays smart or wants to make a splash introduction that will bite them later.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That is the one shining light in all this.

Nobody has bad things to say about Jordy.

We usually like to overpay for guys with terrible reputations or productivity, but great measurables, convinced that 'this time it will be different'.

So at least we are not trying to bring in one of those (Joekel, Lacy, Cary Williams, Harvin, etc.).

We are like that guy that keeps dating strippers that cheated on their last boyfriend but is sure that she won't cheat on him because of _____. But she does, because she tends to cheat and she is a freaking stripper. Same deal.

So maybe they learned the lesson there. The reason they are available is because someone else did not want them. And the reason they did not want them is important.

Jordy at least can be counted on to catch the ball. We just don't know how much of his production was playing in a great offense with a great QB. But at least we know he isn't lazy, stupid or someone that just cashes paychecks to do as little work as possible.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/dannyoneil/status/973963754856591361[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/973957660956676099[/tweet]

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Well if it comes to system, based on his time in Green Bay, Nelson would have the "find the open area in the scramble drill" part of things down pat.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Posted a question in GB chat and one of them answered what he expects for a cost for Jordy....

"4-8M range depending on the contract length and specifics. Guaranteed monies etc.."

The longer anyone waits, the lower it should go.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Too old, injuries are becoming a problem. Pass.

12forlife

Reaction score
Pass on Jordy. Simply because he isn't the same player he was. Why did the Packers let him go? I mean if he was still the WR he was 3-4 seasons ago, He was more productive then Graham was for us, plus at least Jordy was an effective blocker. Jordy is washed up. Isn't this what we are trying to get away from. We already have Dougy to mentor our young WR's. Not sure were we are headed in the draft, sure it depends over the next week or so who we land in FA. I would rather pass on Jordy, and see if we can pull off a trade for Martavius Bryant!! We Desperatly need a BIG redzone target. I also hope we get aggressive after ASJ.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/974307985366413312[/tweet]

King Dog

Reaction score
Ian Rapoport

Verified account

@RapSheet
3m3 minutes ago
More
The #Raiders deal for WR Jordy Nelson is not a done deal just yet. I’m told they have real competition from the #Saints. They are making a hard push. The #Seahawks aren’t out yet. He’s still in Oakland, but...

PackerNation

Reaction score
12forlife":2dag921j said:
Pass on Jordy. Simply because he isn't the same player he was. Why did the Packers let him go? I mean if he was still the WR he was 3-4 seasons ago, He was more productive then Graham was for us, plus at least Jordy was an effective blocker. Jordy is washed up. Isn't this what we are trying to get away from. We already have Dougy to mentor our young WR's. Not sure were we are headed in the draft, sure it depends over the next week or so who we land in FA. I would rather pass on Jordy, and see if we can pull off a trade for Martavius Bryant!! We Desperatly need a BIG redzone target. I also hope we get aggressive after ASJ.

Jordy Nelson is 33 years old and 2 years ago he tore his ACL. Last year, he was Comeback Player of the Year. He started off 2017 pretty well scoring 5 TD's in 4 games and was on pace to score 20 TD's for the entire season. Once Rodgers went down, our entire team, including Nelson went into the trash.

Jordy has lost a step and is not the same WR he was. He used to be a vertical threat and an explosive playmaker who could get a lot of yardage on deep throws. Instead, now he is the perfect possession WR more in the mold of your legendary Steve Largent. Jordy is also an excellent Red Zone weapon and especially gifted at getting open after the routes are run and the QB is looking for a target. He still has excellent burst, hands and can beat most CB's on post routes.

Why did we cut him? Money. He was slated to make around $10 million a year and we are deep at WR but have a lot of other needs, like TE and DL and CB, so we are using the Jordy Nelson $$$ on other areas while still maintaining a decent WR corp. It was an unfortunate necessity. We need the cash to spend in very depleted areas of the team.

The last thing in the world we want to see is Jordy lined up against our defense. It hurts to watch him go because he was class on and off the field. He also loves WI and Green Bay and his kid(s) love the school they are in and the friends/neighbors, etc. Good community and he is a big part of it.

He would be a perfect fit in Seattle for 1-2 years then he will have to retire, is my guess. But I would not write him off and if you do acquire him, be happy, he and Russell will have a lot of success together.

Good luck but I really hope he goes to Oakland. Far away from the NFC.

Seymour

Reaction score
King Dog":236fb8yp said:
Ian Rapoport

Verified account

@RapSheet
3m3 minutes ago
More
The #Raiders deal for WR Jordy Nelson is not a done deal just yet. I’m told they have real competition from the #Saints. They are making a hard push. The #Seahawks aren’t out yet. He’s still in Oakland, but...

Sign him Saints, then you are out of the Suh sweepstakes!! :2thumbs: :3-1:

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/974372189636980736[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/974371518514909184[/tweet]

Kinger95

Reaction score
Raiders signed him, probably wasn’t cheap considering they cut Crabtree to do it

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
How funny would it be if we signed Crabtree and he's face Talib and Sherm in the same division.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":1k8glz1s said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/974372189636980736[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/974371518514909184[/tweet]

Getting Crabtree would be odd, right? Sherman talked that smack on him when he played WR for the 49ers with "The Tip". If he came and sign with Seattle, well, he'd be facing Sherman again who is now a 49er himself. Huh, life is funny.