Seattle Sounders 2015 Season Thread

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Nice win. Would have liked a third. Valdez coming on changed the game but I don't think Pappa or Friberg had their best games. I hope Evans is back next week. Nothing against Scott, he's been a great servant but he is slow and got abused by Dallas speed at their goal. Just don't lose next week.

Ref was pretty weak.

knownone

Reaction score
253hawk":iueeuc01 said:
Smurf":iueeuc01 said:
The MLS is doing it to keep teams from bunkering on the road (See: MLS Playoffs before 2014).

The playoffs have been much more entertaining since.

So whoever hosts the first game bunkers instead, so as not to give up those over-weighted road goals to the other team. Then at the very worst, they know exactly what they have to do in game 2 when they go on the road and can play much more aggressively, like getting possession last in college football OT.

It's royally stupid. Let's just make FG's, home runs, free throws, and hockey goals all count as double on the road in the playoffs while we're at it. Or just make it an odd-numbered series. If you get roasted at home, you're done. That's it. The other game is nearly pointless. Lose 4-1 on some flukes or dive-influenced FK's at home and blank the other team 3-0 in the next game? Too bad. Only Europeans could come up with such a lame system.
This seriously just comes off as ignorant. No one here is championing the Away Goals rule, most of us understand the premise behind the rule, and the tactical adjustments and minutiae adds a level of intrigue.

I don't agree with the rule, but both teams know what it's about going in, so I don't think there is any advantage to either team.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Just to be sure, if the Sounders end up 1-2 in the next game... would it go to PK's? Both teams would have 1-road goal and it would result in OT or PK's?

Any tie favors the Sounders because of the additional goal they've scored in Seattle, so they are playing for a tie or out-right win, right?

Sounders lose if they go down 0-1 because of Dallas' goal in Seattle would give them an aggregate away goal advantage, right?

I was very confused last year and don't want to be caught off guard.

knownone

Reaction score
sammyc521":1kmetsx0 said:
Just to be sure, if the Sounders end up 1-2 in the next game... would it go to PK's? Both teams would have 1-road goal and it would result in OT or PK's?

Any tie favors the Sounders because of the additional goal they've scored in Seattle, so they are playing for a tie or out-right win, right?

Sounders lose if they go down 0-1 because of Dallas' goal in Seattle would give them an aggregate away goal advantage, right?

You've got it right.

Exittium

Reaction score
So confusing.... I love watching it.. But half the time i swear im lost

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
knownone":3s6cpz1i said:
sammyc521":3s6cpz1i said:

You've got it right.

0-1 loss eliminates Sounders. 1-1 Draw or 2-2 Draw eliminates Dallas.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Uncle Si":b5unq4yr said:
Anyone know if the away goal rule applies to OT?
From MLSSoccer.com
If the teams score an equal number of goals over the course of both matches, the team with the most road goals in the series advances to the Conference Championship. If at the end of the 180 minutes the teams are tied on both total goals and away goals, the teams will play two 15-minute extra time periods in which away goals DO NOT count, followed by, if necessary, penalty kicks to determine a winner.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":273baona said:
Uncle Si":273baona said:
Anyone know if the away goal rule applies to OT?
From MLSSoccer.com
If the teams score an equal number of goals over the course of both matches, the team with the most road goals in the series advances to the Conference Championship. If at the end of the 180 minutes the teams are tied on both total goals and away goals, the teams will play two 15-minute extra time periods in which away goals DO NOT count, followed by, if necessary, penalty kicks to determine a winner.

Thanks Seatown..

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
253hawk":23kmc96m said:
It's royally stupid. Let's just make FG's, home runs, free throws, and hockey goals all count as double on the road in the playoffs while we're at it. Or just make it an odd-numbered series. If you get roasted at home, you're done. That's it. The other game is nearly pointless. Lose 4-1 on some flukes or dive-influenced FK's at home and blank the other team 3-0 in the next game? Too bad. Only Europeans could come up with such a lame system.

Yes, cause you're not supposed to get roasted at home............and if you get roasted on the road you still have a shot.

The entire premise of the away goal advantage is to prevent the worst thing that can happen to playoff or Champions League format soccer, ties, overtime periods and shootouts.

As a league you fear for your players health and safety, so the worst thing you can do with tired players at the end of their seasons (or playing extra mid week matches) if force them to keep playing for another 30-60 minutes trying to break ties. Thus the away goal advantage.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
As far as this match, very impressed with last night's comeback. So much heart and workrate shown to keep pounding away.

My underrated man of the match goes to Mears, he flat out balled last night not only having to guard Castillo and his insane speed, but continually pushing forward trying to give us any width possible breaking up FC Dallas's obvious gameplan of clogging up the middle.

Fantastic match by Mears.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1k0uo1gw said:
253hawk":1k0uo1gw said:

Yes, cause you're not supposed to get roasted at home............and if you get roasted on the road you still have a shot.

The entire premise of the away goal advantage is to prevent the worst thing that can happen to playoff or Champions League format soccer, ties, overtime periods and shootouts.

As a league you fear for your players health and safety, so the worst thing you can do with tired players at the end of their seasons (or playing extra mid week matches) if force them to keep playing for another 30-60 minutes trying to break ties. Thus the away goal advantage.

He seems to miss the point, and many have pointed that out, so not really necessary to add to his post.

fatigue is only part of the rationale for the away goal rule. Most of it comes down to adding a tactical dilemma for managers to figure out from match to match. I think this is the most unique aspect of the away goal rule.

The Sounders 2nd game is uniquely changed because of the rule. They have a one goal advantage, but have conceded an away goal. Thus, they are really level, while being ahead. They are faced with two solutions: dump into a compact D and hold onto a one goal cushion, or play to their strengths and score.

Anyways, I enjoy the away goal rule.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Really hope Seattle and portland make it threw. Sounders would probably win unfortunately, but it would be a lot if fun.

I've got a question about Seattle. Are they basically the Yankees of Mls? I know nothing about soccers payroll or even if they have a salary cap or anything, it's just the impression I got from listening to the announcer in there game last night. How he kept talking about Seattle being the favorite even though they're the lower seed, and how they have more pressure and expectations on them then dallas does. He talked about how some Mls teams don't face a level playing field, so it got me curious.

( I'm not trying to be condenscending or put them down. It's a genuine question.)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2fwebmwn said:
Really hope Seattle and portland make it threw. Sounders would probably win unfortunately, but it would be a lot if fun.

I've got a question about Seattle. Are they basically the Yankees of Mls? I know nothing about soccers payroll or even if they have a salary cap or anything, it's just the impression I got from listening to the announcer in there game last night. How he kept talking about Seattle being the favorite even though they're the lower seed, and how they have more pressure and expectations on them then dallas does. He talked about how some Mls teams don't face a level playing field, so it got me curious.

( I'm not trying to be condemns ending or put them down. It's a genuine question.)

I think it's far fetched to call them the "Yankees" of the MLS. They're more like the Blue Jays.

MLS salary spending is very disparate. There are 3 teams hovering around 20 million. Then a big drop. In fact, Seattle's payroll is well below (nearly 50%) Toronto, LA and NY (Your Red Sox, Yankees and Dodgers of the MLS). However, there then is another 50% drop between 4th and 5th on the list and everyone else. They were 3x the payroll of their opponent last night.

The "uneven" playing field aspect comes from the sense that DP players of significance are being placed with certain clubs. I think there is some truth in that, as it helps market the league if the more popular players are with the more popular clubs. However, then you get USMNT's arguably most impactful players signed together in Canada, so even that seems an inconsistent model.

There is certainly alot of disparity the MLS needs to account for. However, I'm not sure the Sounders are the most egregious example of that.. certainly a beneficiary, but not necessarily the crown jewel.

Here is your list, by the way: http://www.thegoatparade.com/2015/7...ding-expansion-teams-spending-big-compete-now

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JSeahawks":o47ojon3 said:

( I'm not trying to be condemns ending or put them down. It's a genuine question.)

There is a cap, but clubs like Seattle can have much higher payrolls through the Designated Player and using allocation money to buy down contracts in order to fit higher salaried better players under that cap.

As far as the Yankees of the MLS? Idk, I guess that's fair, but then you'd have to say there are a lot of Yankees of the MLS, because the Sounders aren't the only club spending a lot of money. Toronto, LA, Montreal, NY FC, etc. all have spent a lot of money on DP's.

btw, the Timbers have played the Sounders extremely well this year, so even if we make it through they'd be a very tough opponent for Seattle. Lots of youth and speed that gives Seattle fits.

253hawk

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":2v9b1qxn said:
Jesus, you are salty. It is not changing soon, so get used to it or stop complaining. You are pissing into the wind.

I can complain about it if I want. There's no rule that says I have to like something that is subject to opinion.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
253hawk":2t07x8ln said:
CurryStopstheRuns":2t07x8ln said:
Jesus, you are salty. It is not changing soon, so get used to it or stop complaining. You are pissing into the wind.

I can complain about it if I want. There's no rule that says I have to like something that is subject to opinion.

You sprinted right past complaining.