Seattle Sounders 2015 Season Thread

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":3sn7o0us said:
253hawk":3sn7o0us said:
CurryStopstheRuns":3sn7o0us said:
Jesus, you are salty. It is not changing soon, so get used to it or stop complaining. You are pissing into the wind.

I can complain about it if I want. There's no rule that says I have to like something that is subject to opinion.

You sprinted right past complaining.

The same thing happened last year. Some of us who disagree with the rule get blasted.

"Get used to it or stop complaining"... You really said that? Dude, let us complain about it if we want. You have your side of the argument and we have our side. Forums are to promote discussions of different views, not one-sided arguments.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":17wvu9js said:
253hawk":17wvu9js said:
It's royally stupid. Let's just make FG's, home runs, free throws, and hockey goals all count as double on the road in the playoffs while we're at it. Or just make it an odd-numbered series. If you get roasted at home, you're done. That's it. The other game is nearly pointless. Lose 4-1 on some flukes or dive-influenced FK's at home and blank the other team 3-0 in the next game? Too bad. Only Europeans could come up with such a lame system.

Yes, cause you're not supposed to get roasted at home............and if you get roasted on the road you still have a shot.

The entire premise of the away goal advantage is to prevent the worst thing that can happen to playoff or Champions League format soccer, ties, overtime periods and shootouts.

As a league you fear for your players health and safety, so the worst thing you can do with tired players at the end of their seasons (or playing extra mid week matches) if force them to keep playing for another 30-60 minutes trying to break ties. Thus the away goal advantage.

However, the playoff legs in MLS are about one week apart. To alleviate the "tired players" issue maybe they can allow one or two more subs if the game should go to OT. I don't follow European soccer as much, are they one week apart for legs there too? If not, it makes sense the "tired players" issue would factor there since they play on a shorter turnaround.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
European soccer tournaments are usually intermixed with other events (Champs league coincides with league games for example) while the Euros and World Cup have 4-5 day turnarounds between games.

I don't think fatigue is a main aspect of the away league rule. I believe it is to enhance the tactical elements surrounding each tie.

I do agree that in competitions that have OT an additional sub should be provided to both teams that can be made at the start of the first and then 2nd OT sessions (not during the match). It would clean up both the last 10 minutes of regular time as well as the extra time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2ylrfkod said:
European soccer tournaments are usually intermixed with other events (Champs league coincides with league games for example) while the Euros and World Cup have 4-5 day turnarounds between games.

I don't think fatigue is a main aspect of the away league rule. I believe it is to enhance the tactical elements surrounding each tie.

I do agree that in competitions that have OT an additional sub should be provided to both teams that can be made at the start of the first and then 2nd OT sessions (not during the match). It would clean up both the last 10 minutes of regular time as well as the extra time.

I agree with you, but I do think the fatigue/injury factor IS one of the main reasons for the away goal advantage.

I imagine when the bigger tournaments around the world like the Champions League were discussed and vetted out, the away goal rule was installed because clubs were afraid of over working their players with extra meaningful mid week matches where they wanted to play their stars.

So IMO it was both a tactical wrinkle, and a way to avoid fatigue and injury.

Either way, I'm just fine with the away goal advantage............as I'm not a fan of shootouts, which would be ten fold trying to break ties if this didn't exist.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I guess I don't see how the away goal rule helps deal with fatigue and injury. Can you explain?

But yes, the 2nd part of your post is the most relevant, the away goal rule exists to encourage teams to make adjustments and limit the opportunities for extra time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3olzt5li said:
I guess I don't see how the away goal rule helps deal with fatigue and injury. Can you explain?

But yes, the 2nd part of your post is the most relevant, the away goal rule exists to encourage teams to make adjustments and limit the opportunities for extra time.

The away goal advantage helps break all the match ties that would have to go into overtime and shootouts to break ties.

Not sure if there are stats, but I'd imagine the away goal advantage has decided a large number of round robin tournament and playoff matches in regular time.............thus no overtime and shootout minutes played.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3lxjg67b said:
Uncle Si":3lxjg67b said:

The away goal advantage helps break all the match ties that would have to go into overtime and shootouts to break ties.

Not sure if there are stats, but I'd imagine the away goal advantage has decided a large number of round robin tournament and playoff matches in regular time.............thus no overtime and shootout minutes played.

I got you... so avoiding OTs for injury purposes. Makes sense. I honestly never thought of it that way. I just figured they wanted matches to end at regulation time because its cleaner.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":w2epcol4 said:
CurryStopstheRuns":w2epcol4 said:
253hawk":w2epcol4 said:
CurryStopstheRuns":w2epcol4 said:
Jesus, you are salty. It is not changing soon, so get used to it or stop complaining. You are pissing into the wind.

I can complain about it if I want. There's no rule that says I have to like something that is subject to opinion.

You sprinted right past complaining.

The same thing happened last year. Some of us who disagree with the rule get blasted.

"Get used to it or stop complaining"... You really said that? Dude, let us complain about it if we want. You have your side of the argument and we have our side. Forums are to promote discussions of different views, not one-sided arguments.

Definition of insanity.

Smurf

Reaction score
When you look at our roster.....and the situation we are in in this tie....and who we could face in the future.....

this is it. This is the year we need to capitalize and win MLS cup. If we don't get it, the roster is going to be blown up. Most of our core is over 30, with large salaries...

The ONLY thing that this team lacks is team speed. Outside of Oba we have very little in terms of speed....

knownone

Reaction score
Smurf":yo6ti5rg said:
When you look at our roster.....and the situation we are in in this tie....and who we could face in the future.....

this is it. This is the year we need to capitalize and win MLS cup. If we don't get it, the roster is going to be blown up. Most of our core is over 30, with large salaries...

The ONLY thing that this team lacks is team speed. Outside of Oba we have very little in terms of speed....
I agree that this is our best chance at winning a title. I don't think they blow it up if we fail to win MLS Cup though. I'm actually of the mindset that this team will only get better next year, and keeping them together will be the best thing the club can do. The core of Dempsey, Oba, Ivanschitz, Friberg, Evans, Frei, Valdez, and Mears are good enough to win a title. Obviously we could use some younger guys and maybe it's time to move on from Marshall, Ozzie and some of the other older guys.

Exittium

Reaction score
Is it me or is Martins just shooting seattle in the foot. The dude seems slow and stiff and he hesitates alot. There was at least 2 times in that 1st half they could score and he hesitated or blew it

Ps officiating is crapola imo

Exittium

Reaction score
JSeahawks":13hfqyun said:
Exittium":13hfqyun said:
JSeahawks":13hfqyun said:
Wow, what a sequence!
What a gift to dallas by the officials

How so?
If you need to ask then you havent been watching the game. And the amount of fouls that dallas got away with. Let alone the gifted balls they got to keep in play that were obviously out. Lol

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Exittium":51sv9gxc said:
JSeahawks":51sv9gxc said:
Exittium":51sv9gxc said:
JSeahawks":51sv9gxc said:
Wow, what a sequence!
What a gift to dallas by the officials
How so?
If you need to ask then you havent been watching the game. And the amount of fouls that dallas got away with. Let alone the gifted balls they got to keep in play that were obviously out. Lol

Ah, I thought you meant something specific on that last goal. I havnt seem anything real bad from the officials, but I'm certainly no expert, just a casual soccer fan.

253hawk

Reaction score
A whole season down the drain because of PK's. Awesome.